Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

DRINK ME posted:

I was reading about the car park grants and then going back to read about the sports grants that I mostly missed the first time around. Surely someone in the prime minister’s office has started a spreadsheet for hospitals and vaccine distribution centres in electorates they want to target.
For the cost of the carparks they could have funded Pfizer x2 for almost everyone in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

freebooter posted:

It's what makes me most anxious about a world where we decide that vaccines are good enough and don't try to stamp it out any further than that.

Yeah imagine if every country on earth had just done a proper 6 week lockdown like we did. Literally no more COVID.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

hooman posted:

I have defeated you by giving you everything you wanted, thus making me the winner.

The Wimp-Lo of political parties, trained wrong, as a joke.
Have you never heard the saying "the worse, the better"?

Looking forward to the Labor party going full Marxist-Leninist.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 26, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Laserface posted:

Yeah its not really unreasonable to not want AZ when you have a low risk profile.

all you are doing is helping the government achieve their made up goal of 70% of the eligible population (which is 50% of the population) vaccinated. once we hit that they will fully open 'er up and let 'er rip. make no mistake.

Im working from home, Im getting groceries delivered and im really only going outside to do exercise.

I dont feel like doing the bulk of the work on this uni group assignment so that scomo and gladys can get all smug about how well they handled the Delta outbreak. You want credit? do your fuckin job.
Imagine what was going through ScoMo's head all those weeks. "God these loving quiet Australians have got so loving noisy. They won't shut up about this vaccine rollout. If only I could give them all AstraZeneca, that would be so sweet. Why won't ATAGI let me give them AstraZeneca? I know, I'll pressure ATAGI a bit and see if they crack".

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Comstar posted:

ATAGI is saying it will take months before they say that 12-15 year olds can get a vaccine. Thanks to the LNP, we don't have months.
It's not like the LNP's malicious stupidity to date means that vaccination is the only way to bring the outbreak under control. Victoria came back from slightly higher case numbers last year. Our government still needs to be held to account for their ongoing refusal to prioritise public health over economic liberty. We should be under shelter in place conditions for everyone not employed in a government-defined essential job. That would save far more infections and lives than trying to roll out vaccines quickly. The vaccination levels they're targeting have already been field proven overseas to not prevent ongoing outbreaks, and ongoing outbreaks mean ongoing deaths among the unvaccinated/unvaccinatable segment of the population.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

hooman posted:

Just got a spam text from Palmer Party (with now no mention of Palmer)

Link contains no policies, just a video of Craig Kelly ranting over inspirational music and a "join our team" link.
I got this this morning also. I've never so reflexively reached for the nonexistent "punch sender" icon.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

slorb posted:

As a point of comparison the estimated ~1B a week cost of the current NSW lockdown is ~8% of the NSW GDP.
Woah, if that trend continues NSW is going to lose 400% of its GDP each year.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
You ever have one of those moments where you wonder if one of the times in the past when you maybe could have died (that time you had a very high fever, or fell off your bike and hit your head, or passed out on a hot day) you actually did die, and went to hell, but you didn't notice because hell starts slowly?

That's how I feel living in a world that collectively looks at COVID and thinks "better live with it". From day 1 the potential existed to eradicate it. We just needed to work together. Most of the planet has spent months in some form of lockdown over the last 1.5 years, and even when not in lockdown people have been under self imposed restrictions that have made life miserable.

It could have been over in a couple of weeks.

With coordinated action, this virus could have been confined to a few reference samples in biosafety labs by now.

It still could. There is not a single reason it couldn't that doesn't come back to "we can't persuade everyone to work together". Depending on the context everyone can mean "all world leaders", "all states within each country" or just "all people who would be required to observe strict restrictions for a couple of months", but if we as a species were capable of securing that cooperation at each of those levels successively, we'd have beaten this virus long ago.

And the most depressing flavour of this feeling is watching a number of Australian politicians giddy with excitement that they can finally wriggle out of the arm-twisting position that the public had them in that required them to do the right thing, and instead force us to endure them doing the wrong thing. They finally let the virus get so out of control here that they've made all of us give up and accept that not only will Australia, New Zealand et al. never persuade other countries to switch from their bad policies to good policies, but we're going to stop doing the good policies ourselves.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

freebooter posted:

It was maybe possible at the start when it was a less virulent strain confined to wealthier and well-organised nations, but good luck getting war refugees in Afghanistan or subsistence farmers in Mali or flat-broke workers in Beirut to give a gently caress about COVID, they have bigger problems.
People living like people in Afghanistan or Mali live aren't what's driving this epidemic, it's people who demand the right to travel from one side of the world to the other in a matter of hours, and mingle freely at their destination. If you live your life in walking distance COVID might as well be nonexistant in the time it would take for the jet-set countries to get their poo poo together and squash it. A significant fraction of the cases worldwide came from China via America and a handful of other countries that acted as incubator-distributors for the virus right at the time when China was burning the virus out of itself like Rambo with a thimbleful of gunpowder.

The level of restrictions needed to be applied to people is inversely proportional to their distance from other people. So while it's true that someone who lives in a hamlet in the hills is going to be harder to get on aboard the quarantine train, it's also less of a problem there.

As far as animals acting as reservoirs, I wasn't aware that there was sustained animal transmission going on, if that's the case then it may change the eradication picture a bit. But the fact remains that right now, all over the world, leaders like Morrison who had no concept of enlightened cooperation unless it was forced on them, are skating while the rest of us live in their poo poo.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 4, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

freebooter posted:

Which is why I said it was true at the start but is no longer true now.

If first world cities like Melbourne and Sydney with highly competent and well-funded public health bureaucracies can't eliminate Delta even with the strictest of lockdowns, good luck getting it to work in the overcrowded slums of Dhaka or Kinshasa or Phnom Penh, even if the political will to do so was there. You're dreaming. We are never eliminating COVID unless we develop a vaccine with sterilising immunity and even then it'll take decades.
The strictest lockdown is everyone gets food parcels delivered by the government and doesn't leave their house except by ambulance until COVID stops existing.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Centusin posted:

Since August 23rd Ho Chi Minh City residents aren't allowed to leave their home except for essential workers in 11 different groups, and there are police checkpoints everywhere so documents are definitely being examined. Food is being delivered by community workers and soldiers, at certain essential offices and factories workers are having to work, eat and sleep there. No real sign any of it is working yet.
I guess we’ll see in another week or two? But fundamentally if the virus keeps spreading its because, and only because, infected people are having contact with uninfected people. And what’s described as a “lockdown except for essential workers” can vary significantly from one place and time to another. The question for any given lockdown is how close it actually comes to actually stopping all contact between infected and uninfected people. Some “lockdowns” barely even attempt to do that (see Berejiklian et al. 2021) but a lockdown that does that will stop the virus.

Anyway, I’m not trying to argue that we can stop it successfully now, I started out acknowledging that we are unable to come together on collective action that would achieve it. I’m just annoyed that the guilty parties will get off Morrison Free, and probably all congregate for tea and medals after absolutely flubbing one of the easiest tests of collective action we’ve ever faced.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 4, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

freebooter posted:

But at the same time - and I wouldn't voice this to them - that's already kinda part of life when you make the decision to settle down on the other side of the continent, right? My partner has a five year old nephew in New Zealand whom we haven't seen at all except over Facetime for two years now, but let's not pretend that we were going to be a huge part of his life when he's growing up in another country. If we have kids, they're not going to be seeing my parents more than maybe once a year. Neither we nor they would be able to afford to fly back and forth more often than that.
This is an argument that the media doesn't give nearly enough air to. I've repeatedly declined the possibility of moving interstate for study/work (i.e. not applying for interstate university courses, not applying for interstate jobs even though it would have increased my chances of career progression) because I didn't want to move away from my family. But all the people who put other things ahead of living near family now want the right to move around and infect other people's families who didn't separate themselves geographically.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Eediot Jedi posted:

That's staggeringly stupid, unless you're specifically referring to people who moved away from family in the last year or so.
No, what's staggeringly stupid is focusing solely on the pain of separated families and ignoring the pain of people watching (or in fact not being allowed to watch) their loved ones drowning in their own fluids, which can be prevented (perhaps only temporarily) through border closures. Right now in NSW 24,000 people have active COVID, around 2% of them will die and many more will endure weeks or months of severe illness, because somebody couldn't stand not traveling.

Edit - it is usually stupid to say "all the people", I should have said "a number of people who chose to live away from their families now demand the right to move around and infect families that elected to remain geographically close". The point being that there is an appealing story there of deprivation, which is privileged over the faceless, eventless deprivation of people who go from not having to worry about COVID to having to worry about it.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 5, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Launchpad McQuack posted:

Dude, turn off the tv and stay the gently caress off the internet for a little while. It has completely hosed your perspective. Or go and seek some mental help, gently caress me.
I'm not upset about it, I was just responding in kind. All over the world untold suffering has arisen from people's need to travel freely all over the world. This is yet another example of viruses having evolved to exploit our contact with one another, but that doesn't change the fact that that is why we have a pandemic going on. If we had proper quarantine facilities it would mitigate it more, but the ultimate solution is for everyone temporarily to work out where they actually want to be in the world and stay there.

Edit - I've obviously expressed myself badly. What I'm driving at is that someone not being able to get across the border to visit their dying mum is a neat story. The grinding despair of a million people with elderly parents living in a state that used to have zero transmission and now has 24,000 active cases isn't a neat story. But it's still real. And we (and our media) are bad at actually doing the calculus of human suffering, instead privileging events and narratives that catch our attention or imagination.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 5, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

freebooter posted:

Yes. I put other things ahead of living near family, and I accept that in this situation that means I can't see them even semi-regularly (i.e. once a year or so) like I used to.
I know that's got to suck, and I'm sorry if I seemed heartless about that. I certainly don't think that it's painless or deserved. You seem already very cognizant of the point I was trying to make that got some backs up, that there is no escape from the need to juggle different forms of suffering in this pandemic.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Solemn Sloth posted:

Pandemics wouldn’t be a thing if we all decided to live in self sufficient and isolated anarcho-primitivist compounds
Sure, but there's a lot of measures short of that that would stop them being a thing. Australia has wiped out COVID spread on multiple occasions already, and while delta might make that harder, it doesn't make it impossible. There's been a lot of talk about it being impossible, and vaccination being the only way forward, but that's mainly political spin from leaders who either never treated zero COVID as a priority to begin with, or who have stopped seeing it as a realistic goal when one or more other states insist on "living with the virus". Yeah, NSW is in a loving pickle right now, but that was a clear result of a series of soft-pedaling choices made by the government, not a sign that delta can magically walk the land like Captain Trips.

Unless we plan to open international borders immediately, zero COVID domestically is just as sensible today as it was at the start of the pandemic. "Equilibrium" levels of COVID are only worth bothering with at the point where we re-open to the rest of the world. Otherwise we are simply courting needless death and disruption, especially when multiple states are still enjoying zero COVID and rightly wanting to stay that way.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 5, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Breetai posted:

Speaking as someone whose best friend (who I considered chosen family) died in Melbourne just after an earlier lockdown came down: it was awful beyond measure not being able to visit her in hospital and having to attend her funeral in a loving zoom call, but given the option to travel I would have unequivocally said "gently caress off" because I'm not a shithead plague rat and I had no intention of having to bury my mother, or partner, or anyone else because of a selfish desire to put everyone at risk by traveling during a pandemic.

You’re a good person for seeing it that way. The problem is never people who feel sad about losing a friend or missing the chance to speak with a dying relative, it’s the people who can’t see past that individual pain and balance it against the great mass of human feeling outside themselves. And even then with a virus it’s understandable that it’s hard for them to make that calculation, because they never feel dangerous within themselves, they need to be shown that they might be fine but that for every 100/1,000/10,000 travellers indistinguishable from them an outbreak affecting millions of people will happen.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

gay picnic defence posted:

Also anecdotally via a client who works in the Vic contract tracing dept, they’re having huge problems with family gatherings and people not wanting to dob in people in attendance. The supermarket exposure sites aren’t too bad because they can ping the majority of attendees via the app but it’s taking them ages and multiple interviews to tease out the details of illegal friends/family gatherings. It’s a big driver of the mystery cases we’re seeing.
Yeah it’s obvious that people aren’t taking this seriously enough and nobody is making us take it seriously enough, which is one of the most important functions of government in an epidemic. In theory a respiratory epidemic can be controlled entirely through individual action (isolation and care) but in practice it’s never going to happen without government guidance, government punishment and government support.

You only have to look around in Sydney to see how far we are from a true, enforceable lockdown. If we seriously want to stop spread we need to create an environment where there are so few people and cars around that police can effectively ask everyone what their reason for being out is. We saved ourselves in early 2020 by getting properly shitscared about leaving our houses, and because we got properly shitscared about leaving our houses we didn’t have to stay that way for long.

Approaching lockdown as an equilibrium problem, trying to work out how much lockdown you can sustain indefinitely, is like trying to work out the right amount of stray fire to tolerate in your house. You don’t think “how much firefighting can I stand to do today and every day for the rest of the year” and then do that amount and go to bed. You either put the fire out or evacuate immediately. But we’re the victims of a con run by the LNP, to persuade us that we can reach a compromise with a deadly virus.

Launchpad McQuack posted:

gently caress this negative poo poo. What is everyone gonna do when they can do stuff again? Come people look forward to some good poo poo and I want to hear it.

Go out for loving dinner again

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 6, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

StrangeThing posted:

What proof do we have that the majority of the spread is through people breaking the rules, and not through essential workers? Do we have that breakdown available?

We are kind of all at cross purposes here. There are two separate things going on, compliance and policy.

The ongoing mingling of infected and uninfected people is proof that the product of policy and compliance is insufficient.

Whether that’s because people are wilfully not doing the right thing, or not doing enough of the right thing because they’re confused about what the right thing is, or if “the right thing” as determined by the government actually isn’t yet enough of the right thing, is a more complex question. But if contact tracers are teasing out illegal family gatherings that are hampering the tracing effort, that certainly suggests that at least some of the problem is wilful non compliance, because those people know not to tell the contact tracers immediately where they’ve been.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

:thunk:

I know this is largely just splitting hairs about what is 'normal' and 'common', but the point is that although enough Australians travel overseas regularly enough for it to be unremarkable, they are outnumbered by the Australians who don't do this, and people who used to travel overseas every year (including myself) should stop wringing their hands over how travel is part of the core Australian national identity or whatever.

Anyway, when the travel discussion came up it was in reference to it being uncommon for most Australians to go overseas in recent memory of 20-40 years ago, which is still true regardless of how many trips people were taking in 2017.

This perspective may help: https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/australias-welfare/home-ownership-and-housing-tenure

quote:

Where household tenure was known:

67% (5.4 million households) were home owners:
32% (2.6 million households) without a mortgage
35% (2.9 million households) with a mortgage.

So annual overseas travel is roughly one third as common as home ownership, and still less common than home ownership without mortgage.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

JBP posted:

I don't know anyone that hasn't been overseas on a holiday. A lot of it is cheap stuff like Bali and whatever, but it's not like international travel is some 1%er concept alien to the majority of people. For some I'm sure it's a matter of will to go overseas. I'd assume that plenty of people with a stable income and cash to spend on luxuries don't go overseas because they just don't care.

But still concern about international travel is bond to be overrepresented among journalists, and therefore the “public consciousness”, relative to the population as a whole.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

StrangeThing posted:

Maybe! I don't think we know enough to say for sure though what the breakdown is.

In any case, there's not much that can be done. I don't really know of any other enforcement measures they could introduce at this point.

Well they could stop construction for one thing, have a grace period to mothball anything time critical (like maybe concrete pours in progress, that kind of thing) and then shut it down. It’s not a short term essential service, it’s exactly the kind of “how much firefighting do I want to do every day forever” bullshit that I was alluding to before. Closing it down and then opening it back up was an act of defeatism.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

meteor9 posted:

I mean normally that'd be the result of the lovely media landscape but jesus christ have you seen the Fed and NSW labors these days? I assume the current NSW guy isn't quite as vocal about protecting our right to abuse dogs but then again I'd have to remember who the hell he is.
Protecting our right to abuse dogs, or protecting a few hectares of land from falling into the hands of Mike Baird's corporate developer mates?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

snickothemule posted:

Albo with real strong vice principal energy.

Fucks sake have a dig already, you might even enjoy it. Looking like a giant punching bag.
This might be just the ultimate small target strategy. Nothing is going to stop ScoMo from getting brutally dragged for his father's day bullshit, but people won't see Albo doing it, so even people who have pity on ScoMo aren't offended by Albo. And people who hate Albo for not dragging ScoMo are not going to preference the LNP ahead of Labor.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

JBP posted:

A small price to pay for the freedom of millions.
When you say millions you're not talking about people, are you.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Lolie posted:

https://twitter.com/MattWordsworth/status/1436143399397048326

Gladys is over, too. You can't pull a stunt like this when your approval rating is already in the toilet. Press is already savaging her on social media and the sharks will be circling in her own party.
Especially after the masterstroke soundbite "daily press conferences mean I'm not doing my job".

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

hooman posted:

We don't discuss "on ventilator matters".

Ventilator related issues are medical in-confidence. Infected people need to know that they can rely on the discretion of the government or they'll be unwilling to die slowly in NSW hospitals.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

One of the worst Premiers ever, was utterly smashed by O'Farrell in 2011, helped backstab and then dispose of Nathan Rees who was a good Premier dealt a bad hand thanks to the assholes before him, connected to Tripodi and Obeid, more scandals than Morrison's mob, so utterly incompetent made Abbott look good, part of NSW Right.

LNP would be drooling at the very real chance stealing an unexpected seat back. What the hell are they thinking putting her anywhere close to a federal seat?
Labor right ghouls don't get poo poo as a result of other people making a rational decision that it's appropriate. They just go out and get poo poo.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm not over 60 and I had utterly no hesitation to get AZ. Because the scares over blood clots in the media was loving ridiculous.
The scare over AZ wasn't ridiculous when it started. By the time the NSW outbreak was in full swing and people started to talk about going and getting AZ because it was the only thing available that idea was starting to make sense. But back when VITT was first being identified it was an extremely serious complication (thought to have around 30% mortality) that while initially rare seemed to be identified more and more often as people began to look for it specifically, and the typical treatments for excessive clotting (heparinoids) weren't suitable for it. It's unfortunate that you can't put the genie of bad press back in the bottle, but that wasn't a complication that could just be sat on while millions more people got waved through to have that vaccine. They needed a pause and an investigation.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 14, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

ilmucche posted:

that's certainly a thing. Is he a wild trump like right leaning dude?
He's like Trump without the charisma. He's an irreconcilably selfish and sociopathic bully with zero understanding of the golden rule, but he doesn't have Trump's bold courage.

Edit - think of that coworker/acquaintance who is completely without any grace or redeeming features and universally disliked, but unaccountably keeps moving forward because he completely lacks the self awareness to stop pumping his gross little legs towards a worse world with him at the top of it.

Edit edit - here he is young https://twitter.com/jeremypoxon/status/1062647402471993344

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 16, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Senor Tron posted:

$10 says that Biden remembers his name perfectly but also knows he is looking on shaky ground for the next election (until Morrison wins again because lol Australia) and remembers how much he was a friend of Trumps.
The Obama administration certainly played that game. Like when China insulted Obama by not providing air stairs for him to disembark from Air Force 1, and instead of going straight at them with bluster like Trump he just made a media statement along the lines of "that's ok, these things are hard to organise". *chef's kiss*

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Lolie posted:

https://twitter.com/bridgerollo/status/1438653900664422403

Gladys is fronting a presser at 11 and expected to announce a rollback of hotel quarantine.

"We demand the virus! Give us the virus!"

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
gently caress that's upsetting.

Edit - specifically the Legolas/Gimli "die fighting side by side" meme for the right wing and union workers.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 21, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Illuminti posted:

Immigration is healthy, but there's got to be a discussion of amount. Unfortunately by denouncing anyone who thinks there is to much immigration as a racist the entire conversation has been ceded to the far right like One Nation and they unsurprisingly use it as a wedge topic and recruitment tool. There are other reasons besides hating brown people for wanting to lower immigration numbers.
You can see one of the reasons right there in the graph above of net migration (which has consistently gone up under the LNP): it's bad for workers. The whole thing is an anti-worker, pro-corporate-employer scam hidden behind the handkerchief of BORDER FORCE.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Konomex posted:

Why is Australia both... hoarding globalism but also all of these people are effectively not from Australia?
It's important that people who love freedom from every country come together to fight globalism and establish a new world order against the New World Order.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Gosh that "Andy" Wakefield looks so charming and innocent, not at all the sociopathically smug grifter that all those doctors claim him to be.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
There's so much to unpack in the idea of ScoMo as Public Health Oppressor.

He resisted any measures at all.

Then he resisted lockdowns.

Then he dragged his heels on vaccine supply.

Then he attacked Premiers trying to use lockdowns to deal with the consequences of no vaccine supply.

And even now he would love to be letting it run wild in the name of St Harvey and St Wesfarmers, but he's been stopped.

By the wild popularity of the "oppression".

Edit - it's really nice to see this kind of poo poo spread regarding your own country, it's a solid reminder that these right-wing grifters really are just making poo poo up all day everyday. Helps to pacify that tiny, anxious corner of my soul that gets transiently seduced by the idea that both sides are the same.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 24, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

freebooter posted:

That can't be right, I have it on good authority from various whingers on Twitter that outdoor transmission is Impossible

Apparently Victoria has virtually no public pathology services and is entirely reliant on the private sector which starts getting backed up at around 60k tests a day. I presume we can thank Kennett for that one.

Most of the major hospitals in Sydney use private or semi-private pathology. As I understand it at some point in the past most of the health districts contracted out their pathology services to companies formed by pathologists who were in practice at the time. Pathologists working in the public system now get paid partly by salary and partly a share of pathology billings. But it remains fairly decentralised. I know at least three separate health district services (Northern Sydney, South-East Sydney and SydPath) in addition to at least three major private providers (DHM, Laverty and Clinical Labs), so Victoria may be more bottlenecked.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Putrid Dog posted:

That doesn't sound completely right. There's at least 4 public health districts and SydPath as a semi private lab.

Westmead, Nepean, RPA, Liverpool, John Hunter (Newcastle), Royal North Shore, St Vincent's and Prince of Wales all have a robust molecular pathology lab with smaller hospitals such as Concord and Lismore also having some capacity to perform testing. All these besides Sydpath in St Vincents fall under NSW Health, which while slightly decentralised from the separate health districts, doesn't hold a candle to the mess that Victoria is, where different hubs effectively operate as different companies. Austin, Monash, Melbourne etc are completely independent of each other.

Private labs in NSW include Medlab, Laverty, DHM, 4Cyte, Histopath and Australian Clinical Labs and are taking the lions share of the tests as they have the capacity to use their local collection centers for COVID swabbing.
Northern NSW will tend to have sample collections for QML and Sullivan Nicolaides due to being closer to Brisbane.

Laverty is part of the parent company Healius, so when there is an influx of samples, they'll send out their overflow to their sister sites such as QML or Dorevitch, and vice versa which is what happened during the Melbourne outbreak last year.
DHM is part of the parent company Sonic Healthcare and they do the same with Melbourne Pathology and Sullivan Nicolaides.

Covid testing is lucrative business, so path labs are chomping at the bit to get as much business as they can, so we've seen innovations as electronic test referrals, drive through collections, 24 hour turn around times for results.
They'll happily hire 20 new staff and contract new instrumentation in to pump in more samples and pump out more results.
The public hospitals aren't competing with that. Partly because government admin approval, sign off and hiring process is disgustingly slow, but they are still juggling all the other testing that needs to be done before COVID was a thing like bacterial sepsis detection, Hepatitis etc.

I'd agree that the main problem is that Melbourne just actually may not have as many labs or suitably sized labs that can scale up as NSW does.
There's at least 3 private labs (Medlab, Histopath and 4Cyte) headquartered in Sydney and may not have any presence in Victoria which would take a huge burden off any off the others.
Yeah I was saying "at least" those services/companies because I couldn't be bothered trying to confirm a comprehensive list. From what I've been told SEALS in south-east Sydney is a semi-private (contract taken out by the practicing pathologists back in the day), but I haven't looked into it myself. The others I can't speak for except that I know that pathologists in every major hospital I've ever heard about get a share of billings, which means it's not a simple public system with pathologists on salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
I'm confused, what is ICAC's problem with her? She specifically said she didn't want to know about the corruption.