Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Amoeba102 posted:

Actually, or joke? I can't tell anymore.

Actually. It's not a joke.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...covid-crackdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Capt.Whorebags posted:

So, hard border closures with QLD and Vic when?

I'm not sure why it hasnt happened already

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

JBP posted:

Lucky aged care is all vaccinated s

I take it you haven't been following the news?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

JBP posted:

The residents are very well covered and aren't going to die wholesale like Victoria. This is good because dead number low means shop stays open. What are you referring to?

The Victorian outbreak revealed aged care homes where the majority of residents were not vaccinated and the staff weren't either. NSW will not be any better let alone the one dose isn't really effective issue for Pzifer or AZ vs Delta variant.

quote:

What are you talking about??

Trying to engage with JBP in some sort of attempt at face value good faith.

Laugh track here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 11, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

JBP posted:

Does this eventually talk about the residents or am I wasting my time reading a link to a story about staff vaccinations?

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...dents-opted-out

16 homes at least in Vic completely no shots, almost none at all second dose at the time of this article - ie almost the entire Vic system was vunerable to Delta. NSW wont be much better - the only good thing out of this is the Victorian outbreak jolted enough people out of complacency that some more coverage has been achieved since.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 11, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tommunist posted:

Paging cat interceptor to tell me what this means for the possibility of a corona super villain

Help me Covid-Man, you're our only hope

Tommunist posted:

A Sydney man, who today received his fourth dose of a coronavirus vaccine, has said he doubled up on AstraZeneca and Pfizer to give him greater immunity against the worrying disease.

Tom Lee, a 34-year-old from Sydney, told news.com.au he was feeling “fine” after his second Pfizer dose this afternoon.
“I’ve seen people feeling sick after the second Pfizer. I'm hoping it doesn't happen to me,” he said.

Science is certainly saying AZ then Pfizer is pretty drat good as a two dose regime, wouldnt be surprised if there's studies looking at two shot AZ / two shot Pfizer? Seems a bit of a dick move to do off hand when he was already pretty well protected.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Laserface posted:

e: yall wasting energy feeling sorry for someone who is doing whatever it takes to the make the country a more miserable place. sometimes its OK to give it back.

No one is feeling sorry for him. We're saying ....

quote:

dig the kid up and kill it again.

is really going too far.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Centusin posted:

On the topic of ruined plans, it's a shame 18,000 Australians had their plans to return to Australia this year ruined because Victoria, Queensland and WA made a push for the arrival cap to be slashed. Still amazes me that Australians continue to have zero sympathy for anybody that happened to be overseas at the time this began.

a. The quarantine failures are the Federal govt fault for not taking resonsibility for something that is in fact their responsibility. There has been more than enough time for a dedicated facility that could have expanded traveller caps.

b. The fact sports / business people and celebrities are allowed to come in and out while tens of thousands of ordinary Australians have to sit by and just take it isnt the fault of the states.

c. The vaccination rollout and messaging has been a disaster from rear end in a top hat to breakfast, almost all of that due to the federal sphere leaving a population almost uniquely in the world vunerable to Covid Delta

Australians have more sympathy for those who have been cut off from either coming home or from family than you seem to presume and I for one completely understand what those are going through as I have skin in this game. Again, it's the Fed's fault, not the states.

quote:

I’ll continue to take my medical advice from actual doctors rather than the ComStar and Morrison clownshow

Said "medical" advice was based on the presumption spread of Covid would be near zero and not based on the science the available vaccine was actually very safe. This one small outbreak has put more people in hospital than the entire AZ vaccination programme of several million doses.

https://covidlive.com.au/report/daily-hospitalised/nsw

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 14, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tommunist posted:

You know better than to respond to a LNP forum bot

.......??? Sorry dont read this thread enough to know whose what so I'm presuming some sort of good faith reply is best

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tommunist posted:

Wouldn't this all be handled by a federal department?

Yes.

Why the gently caress useless celebritys and sports "stars" can come and go while there's tens of thousands of people separated from family is infuriating and entirely the fault of the current *federal* govt.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

Tasmania will remain Liberal at a state level, due to the sex-pest ex(?) leader of the opposition. Gladys seems to be teflon, so at best she will maybe lose a little of her majority. People like Paluszczuk, and even though her Tokyo trip might be a little tone-deaf, I can't see her losing whenever Qld. go to the polls next time. The Liberals have 2 seats in all of WA. And I don't know or care at all about South Australia's political landscape. gently caress 'em.

But ultimately, Scomo will hold off calling an election for as long as he possibly can, and then will end up winning, but on a reduced margin and probably on the back of a bunch of "Labah Waste" ads and Clive Palmer fuckery.

Gladys has a two seat majority in NSW so there's not much she can lose. I kinda think that the current lock down has annoyed a lot of people off - not because it happened but it didnt happen early enough and it's been poorly managed, so we now have ended up with the current shitfest. Closing construction so abruptly - which didnt happen in the last lot of lockdowns - has pissed off a lot of people too. Might be two years before the next election and we have a dog-poo poo dumb opposition but I'ld guess she'll lose enough support to need the Shooter and Fishers to stay in power

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

Apparently 1 dose of AZ does bugger all against delta and the gap between AZ doses is pretty long.
Seems like it won't be a solution to this current outbreak

One dose of Pfizer aint great either against Delta. And the best regime for Pfizer is 8 - 10 weeks between shots.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...nXWTwBx0T0EVrn0

Laserface posted:

Its actually cool and good that the public are now actively not taking AZ shots on principle.

No, it's actually dumb as gently caress and a bunch of people from journalists, politicans to ATAGI are to blame for some truly epically bad messaging over what is in reality a very good and safe vaccine. Antivaxxers havent even come close to creating this much vaccine confidence damage. 1400 cases of Delta and that has equaled the deaths from over 4.2 million shots of AZ already (there will be more) and there's more people in hospital being ventilated right now than reported blood clots in total.

Pfizer has heart inflammation risks (12.6 per million doses, compared to between 16 to 20 blood clots per million for AZ) but I don't see that being made a fuss out of or much hysteria being drummed up. Of course It shouldnt be and nor should the hysteria about AZ exist.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

This is one of the main lessons with delta I reckon, it moves faster than contact tracing

Where I work before this latest outbreak became a tier one site and we never got contract tracers in at all despite almost direct contact with the driver that started this poo poo in the first place. Our management closed the office on their own volition as soon as they found out by media report, we were WFH with no return date and told to get tested by management, NOT NSW Health. Dont know if NSW Health contacted anyone after that, havent asked, too pissed off about how preventable this whole situation was to care.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

hooman posted:

I wonder what the long covid stats are like amongst the vaccinated.

Cant find any. The only real data is the already posted data about 99% of all Covid hospitalizations are with unvaccinated people / 90+% efficacy of AZ or Pfizer in that respect.

Actually doing a search while writing this post - the best I can find is vaccinations help people who already have Long Covid recover -

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/vaccines-long-covid

Too early to say maybe but it seems like long covid incidence just may not be there if you are vaccinated - or if it happens, it's too rare to have caught much medical attention

Edit : Also this link says it doesnt seem like long covid happens with vaccinated people but more time needed to find out

https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/2021/7/20/22583509/long-covid-fully-vaccinated

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 3, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Animal Friend posted:

I was just watching question time on lunch break and getting increasingly angry lol

For your own mental health, never watch or listen to House of Reps Question Time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

hooman posted:

Has anyone discussed what they're going to do about like children? Are we going to start vaccinating them too, or are we just going to accept that covid is going to hospitalise a bunch of kids.

Only Pfizer as far as I am aware is even approved anywhere for anyone under 18 and that approval only goes down to 12. Phase 2 and 3 trials are ongoing and are promising.

If the dumb rear end messaging about AZ hadn't created so much vaccine hesitancy we'd have more Pfizer later this year to spare for those kids. And lets hope reglatory approval for under 12 comes by then. Oh and a competent vaccination plan with incentives and a bunch of smart people who actually realise that having a good messaging about the availible vaccines is a good idea rather than half assing the advice and completely failing to correctly communicate the actual science and risks and while I'm wishing for a magical pony how about a federal govt competent enough to pull that off and actually get 80% vaccination rate across the board and a NSW govt that would stop being such loving idiots and actually do a proper lockdown in affected areas and ring of steel Sydney at places like Hornsby, Windsor, Campbelltown, Helensburgh and Penrith so Delta cant get out and we dont drag this present lockdown for months?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

Went to Mosman today to take my partner to the optometrist (I stayed in the car). "What lockdown?" is the general feeling we had.
Yeah, people aren't taking it seriously, but why would they when the government hasn't really done well to instill the right mentality or the go far enough early enough with rules.

Bizarrely the Blue Mountains are just about 100% masks and checking in with proper social distancing and a bunch of people been vandalising the signs the handful of nutjob antivaxxers been peppering the place with as fast as they get put up. Never expected it'll be taken so seriously up here

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is it possible to get pfizer if you already had a dose of astrazeneca?

I was told November it was likely Pfizer would be offered to AZ vaccinated people as a booster shot. But the doctor that came from also said they literally find out more about vaccination rollouts from the media than NSW Health so who the gently caress knows.

quote:

What they needed was a statewide lockdown the moment they got community cases a month ago.

There should have been a proper lockdown the instant they knew a fleeting contact at Bondi Junction back in late June was enough to spread Delta.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 7, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Mandayory Covid vaccinations for jobs and travel doesnt bother me. The fact most most people cant even GET the loving vaccine does however.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

loving gold standard NSW right there

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh NOW theres a proper lockdown announced. 7 weeks too bloody late

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

lua posted:

How do you all think the next few years are gonna play out in Australia?

We’re talking about ‘opening up’ at the end of the year, but that’s apparently considered unviable if NSW still has thousands of cases. How are we ever not going to have hundreds or thousands of cases if we’ve returned to some kind of normality? We can barely contain it now, when we’re locked down half the time. Vaccines will help, but the uk is 70% vaccinated and has 29,000 cases per day.

Alternatively, what’s ever gonna change once we’ve vaccinated most people? Is the implicit strategy that we go in and out of restrictions for the rest of time? Domestic eradication with even harder borders? Letting her rip?

After you get vaccines into the majority of the population, I'm not sure what you can resonably do with a disease that is embedded in too many parts of the world. Giving the freedom to travel to vaccinated people is a start and honestly while some might go on about a select few who want to gently caress off to France for winter ski-ing, the majority of people wanting to travel are going to do so for family reasons and frankly two years for loved ones being forceably apart is too long - the problem here of course the loving feds resistance to making a decent quarantine system that can handle more people! - we *should* have something like Howard Springs except able to have 20,000 go through it a week by now.

No one gets on a plane without a vaccination is the baseline now too.

Overall the problem is no one with any hint of foresight or willingness to do jack poo poo is in charge in Canberra. They clearly are going to let er rip at 70-80% vaccination rate and they have not done a thing to prepare or even do some sort of mitigation

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Hashy posted:

Long covid crops up in cases that don't get "critical" (ie seeking hospital care) by all measurements and with Delta pretty commonly in kids. It's the health crisis to define a generation

If you think zoomers hate older generations for saddling them with climate destruction and telling them to bootstrap their way through end-stage capitalism wait until we've given a sizable chunk of them long covid

https://www.france24.com/en/health/20210812-young-people-hit-hard-by-long-covid-as-delta-variant-surges

Evidence of long covid in vaccinated people is so minimal, there's difficulty in finding people to study from what I can find. Also vaccines help deal with long covid if you are infected before vaccination.

Now yes, unvaccinated it's a huge problem and the big issue is that even in countries with high vaccination rates, they are only really getting to the younger population now. But I dont think it'll be a generation defining issue now vaccination rates are going up and vaccination approval for younger children coming very soon. It's going to be vaccinated vs unvaccinated no matter the age.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Hashy posted:

I'd be interested in what you found because with Delta the vaccine doesn't do much for asymptomatic/low symptom case rates and long covid is statistically relevant in them.

Millions are going to catch covid every year, thousands will suffer in even statistically "very rare" outcomes

https://slate.com/technology/2021/08/long-covid-breakthrough-infection-vaccinated.html

Almost no data, the data they do have shows even with Delta a proper breakthrough aka you are seriously ill only leads to long covid in very rare cases, almost no reports of long covid if you dont get really ill. Also pulled from that link is that vaccinations relieve long covid on 30-40% of sufferers

quote:

Encouragingly, research shows that vaccination can alleviate some symptoms of long COVID. Iwasaki has found that up to 30 to 40 percent of people experience relief from vaccination. It might do so by dampening the autoreactive immune cells causing symptoms, she said. She’s currently collaborating with Survivor Corps on a study of the impact of vaccination on people with long COVID, which was inspired by another of the group’s Facebook polls.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/vaccines-long-covid

TLDR - Too early to say maybe but it seems like long covid incidence just may not be there if you are vaccinated - or if it happens, it's too rare to have caught much medical attention

Also this link says it doesnt seem like long covid happens with vaccinated people but more time needed to find out

https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/2021/7/20/22583509/long-covid-fully-vaccinated

So basically there is a lack of evidence long covid is a thing for anyone vaccinated unless you get really ill (already unlikely if you are vaccinated). Wether that is because we arent looking (I'd bet a lot of people are looking!) or it simply hasnt been enough cases to get on researchers radar (more likely) not sure but there hasnt been more indication long covid is a thing for vaccinated people

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Looks more like Lowtax

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Animal Friend posted:

We don't need stronger restrictions we just need everybody to do the right thing. Too many people are doing the wrong thing, but that's no reason to increase restrictions.

If Gladys had done the right thing 6 weeks ago with a proper stage 4 lockdown NSW wouldnt be in this mess

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tomberforce posted:

Going to be a huge wave of antivax regret in about 6 months. It's one thing being anti Vax and riding on the herd immunity coattails of wider society in largely controlled diseases that as a society we are pretty insulated from like polio. This is a very different proposition and I think things are going to get very, very real very quickly.

Won't stop em though.

Just look at the USA right now where it's very much ripping into Texas / Florida and the constant flow of stories of antivaxxers last words being of regret.

gently caress em. They have done enough damage to society that I wont shed a tear for them. loving pathetic their immense stupidity is allowed to hurt kids and those that cant be vaccinated.

Eediot Jedi posted:

Please don't suggest this to the lnp, they'll do it in a heartbeat. It'll be phrased like "should we let rip at A) 50% vaccine coverage, B) 70% vaccine coverage or C) 100% vaccine coverage"

Oh I have no doubt the feds are all for let er rip now.

However longer term the problem really is at what point do you actually let up on restrictions? The fact is Covid is not going to go away and it *will* spread in the community. Vaccinated people arent going to accept forever harsh restrictions (and nor should they). A good govt would be working through the answer and be telegraphing each step and also enforcing vaccinations for things like healthcare and the border. Families want to be reunited. Whats the plan going forward and at what point do we have enough vaccinated? 90% level vaccinations is unlikely to be possible, 80%? How are outbreaks handled without pulling most restrictions back on the vaccinated?

About the only good thing about this NSW shitfest is it got everyone's rear end into gear for vaccinations and got the communication on vaccines back to where it should have been.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Annnnnd Galdys with the "no one could stop Delta" bullshit right on queue, blame doging etc. For fucks sake

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

freebooter posted:

This is a huge part of it, and I think it's because he sees it working overseas for e.g. Boris Johnson, but he's overlooking the fact that Australians have had a completely different pandemic experience and have been conditioned to fear the virus and take drastic measures to keep it out and eliminate it when it gets in. I could guess that maybe Victorians and NSWers are jack of it and will begrudgingly accept a post-vax level of "freedom" equivalent to what we see in Europe, but I think he's really underestimating how Australians in the far more COVID-free states like WA and Queensland are going to feel about it.

If they want to do this properly and not like the UK/US - and I think some state premiers will force the issue - there'll still be some restrictions like masks and reduced restaurant/gathering capacity even after we hit the vax threshholds, and for some states (assuming they open their borders) that could actually be a reduction in day-to-day freedom compared to what they have now.

Also I, for one, am still not going to feel thrilled about catching it even after being vaccinated and will still not feel comfortable doing certain things this summer (indoor dining, cinemas, flying anywhere) if we're seeing tens of thousands of cases a day even if the fatalities remain low, like they seem to be in the UK. I'm probably not the only one. If they're expecting to lift all restrictions at 80% and have everybody flood back out and start spending again, they might have another thing coming.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...823-p58lah.html

The low case number thing being quoted a lot from the Doherty Institute, here what the director meant with it.

quote:

The director of the Doherty Institute, whose modelling underlies the national plan to reopen Australia, says reopening with large numbers of daily COVID-19 cases will still be safe once the country reaches its target of 70 to 80 per cent of the adult population vaccinated.

After days of debate between state premiers, Prime Minister Scott Morrison and epidemiologists over the suitability of those targets given the size of the Delta outbreak in NSW, Professor Sharon Lewin confirmed the number of cases did not materially alter the Institute’s modelling on which the plan was based.

“The really big important issue about moving from phase A to phase B is that we’re moving out of an environment of zero-COVID,” she told the ABC’s The Drum program on Monday evening. “Zero-COVID is no longer the goal once you have 70 to 80 per cent of people vaccinated. Whether you start at 30 cases or 800 cases you can still open up safely.”

Professor Lewin confirmed the Doherty Institute had provided updated advice to the federal government to that effect. She explained that although the modelling used an example of a starting point of 30 cases a day, if the starting point was higher, “you’re just catching the same curve, but you’re getting to the peak quicker”.

“At the moment there really is no difference with how the model predicted outcomes,” Professor Lewin said. “Whether you open up at 30 or if you open up at 800, you still continue to see numbers escalate.

“With 70 per cent vaccination you will get hundreds of thousands of cases, even starting from 30 cases. However, in the presence of vaccination, your deaths and hospitalisations will be greatly reduced. With the addition of public health measures you can also contain those infections.”

Honestly, I dont think a lot of people are going to accept hard lockdowns and restrictions once we gain that 80% vaccination rate. The real answer shouldnt be let 'er rip - there should be vaccine passports, restrictions relaxed for vaccinated people and so forth - but Covid isnt going to go away.

quote:

Feeling sick to the stomach about this becoming endemic

While it's running wild overseas, that was always going to be the case unfortunatly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 23, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Is it bad if you spend ages waiting between jabs?

Both AZ and Pfizer work best with a 10-12 week interval so if you are worried about Covid loving you up, no, not bad at all.

freebooter posted:

As much as I hate to admit it the experience so far in Victoria, the ACT and New Zealand suggests that locking down at even the first hint of a case is often not enough to stop Delta. Queensland appears to have got lucky.

Having said that if she had shut it down early at least maybe it would still be in the low hundreds a day in NSW and would have had less of a chance to spread further, so she can still get hosed.

Gladys has 100% handled this badly. At some point we just gonna have to accept - as uncomfortable as it is - community transmission will be a thing going forward unless you lock poo poo down ruthlessly forever due to Covid will *not* be stopped overseas (forever lockdown will not be acceptible and getting to 90% vaccination rate for the entire population is probably not really fesible with the number of people who have good reason they cant get vaccinated and the number antivaxxers out there) - but there should have been a far harder lockdown earlier to at least try to keep numbers low and that going forward having restrictions eased needs to be managed with a well thought out plan esp in regards to allowing vaccinated people to get their lives back to something close to normal to keep cases esp in the unvaccinated as low as possible.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Resident Idiot posted:

Isn't that what Israel did, leading to reduced effectiveness even though their percentage of population vaccinated is good? I remember reading that the difference between effectiveness in the UK and Israel was down to the increased time between injections in the UK.

UK spread the doses out esp to start with due to supply issues so it was more of a happy accident.

Admittedly, the science on vaccine dose intervals is pretty solid in that most vaccines do work best with 3 - 6 months between shots leads to the best results so it was likely the Covid vaccines would do the same.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

freebooter posted:

Bad scenario: everybody's patience with protecting the old and the vulnerable runs out, much like the USA & Europe

Well honestly I think you can swap "old" with "younger unvaccinated" because thats the group who are being belted by Delta. Vaccination rates for older Australians are already over 50% full vacced, 65+ groups are all over 70% first shot and 75-79 is now 89% first shot (64% full vacced)

https://www.smh.com.au/national/covid-19-global-vaccine-tracker-and-data-centre-20210128-p56xht.html

Sure they have had access to vaccines for longer but the pattern isnt unique to Australia - UK for instance there's not really that many olds filling ICUs as they are vaccinated. The USA is just a special case of loving stupid so vaccination rates are so varied between red / blue states

hooman posted:

God remember how disappointed we were when Shorten beat Albo the first time?

I take it back Bill, I was very wrong.

If Fed Labor had anything close to a clue they would have layed into Morrison so so hard because the PM has just stumbled from mismanaging one major disaster to another. In reality the only time Australia hasnt been facing a major crisis was the first two months of his term, up until the 2019 fires began to kick off. And since? Fires, floods, disease, economic calamity etc.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Did Palmer and Kelly get vaxxed?

Almost certainly vaxxed. You think those hypocritical fucks will practice what they preach?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

abigserve posted:

90% double dose, entire population, a plan in place for boosters, consistent, clear mask rules indoors and finally - a national vaccination tracking app so those that can't get jabbed are protected as much as possible.

I'd also argue that we won't get back to "normal" until most places have mandates in place as well.

90% of total population just wont happen without co-ersion. 80% is s streeeeeetch but I'd say that's what it should be. 80% total population.

Plans for boosters, consistent clear messaging about everything (because frankly there simply hasn't been and it's part of the reason why AZ uptake was so bad and honestly I'm still pissed at how ATAGA screwed the pooch on that one)

Vaccine passports.

Tracking app I think would be more state based but still accepted in other states.

Absolutly no one gets on a plane without full vaccination, no one does health and frontline border without vaccination, at least home based quarantine for travellers, preferably larger scale setups that in total can handle 20,000-30,000 people a week minimum across the country, testing of travellers mandatory no matter what the quarintine situation turns to be.

I'd be aiming to limit the damage to the equivalent of a flu season.

I wish I was a dictator goal -

Put a fence around antivaxxers and dont let them near society again.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

freebooter posted:

If we're talking about down the track and including all age groups I think we'll get to 90%+ easy. We have a really good comparative general vaccine rate in the first place, and that's without all the vaccine passport stick-carrot stuff that will inevitably happen.

There's only two countries with a full vacced rate of over 80% - Malta and Singapore. Singapore is 80% and according to the article here has given up on zero Covid as well

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2021/08/singapore-gives-up-goal-of-covid-zero-despite-high-vaccination-rate/

So I really have my doubts we'll get that high. 85% seems to me to be probably the high water mark for total population coverage, that includes the people who cant be vaccinated and of course the idiots that wont.

The Measles vaccination rate is 95% but that's taken yeaaaaaaaars of effort and a lot of enforcement/co-ersion (No jab, no school, no pay etc).

Actually I'm almost talking myself out of thinking 90% is not achievable but the reality is it will take more than just passports / flight bans. Stuff like workplaces insisting on vaccinations or you are fired, child care saying vaccinate or don't come near the place, Nimbin /Craig Kelly / Clive Palmer and the festering pustule of antivaxxers in the northern rivers areas being swallowed by the earth etc, Centerlink insisting on no jab no pay (Which honestly I don't like that idea, sounds like too good a way to gently caress over unemployed people). I know my workplace will move to a no jab / gently caress off dont come through the door policy shortly.

Cpt Soban posted:

I'll put money on the covid vaxx being added to the yearly flu vax after we get on top of this.

Already in testing so that's a bet you will win.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cpt Soban posted:

I'd hate to be suffering from non covid emergencies in NSW right now.

Friend's wife is on a ventilator in ICU due to a non Covid issue - It's an absolute shitfest from what I've been told esp the nurses trying to make sure Covid doesnt infect her.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/infections-up-but-hospitalisations-down-britain-s-post-vax-hopes-20210831-p58nnd.html

UK is a guide to what's coming if it'd open it all up. Deaths and hospitalisations are way down sure because of 80% vaccination rate of all eligible but still got 100 people dying a day. Thats..... twice a bad flu season maybe for the UK?

Also factor into this that AstroZenica looks like reduces efficacy very slowly if at all and within two months is in fact better than Pfizer long term and the UK was mostly AZ

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 3, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

thatbastardken posted:

curious as to why zero deaths is unrealistic when states outside of nsw and vic seem to be handling it just fine?

The only possible way that can happen is extreme lockdowns at the mere hint of an infection and a worldwide eradication of Covid. Which - in this case use VIC as an example rather than the clusterfuck of NSW and just LOLNO to worldwide eradication - still may not work because Delta is proven to be pretty good at escaping and wont be acceptable once a large proportion of the population is vaccinated.

Zero deaths wont happen

quote:

what's the definition of symptomatic illness?

Quick and not exactly great definition - illness that affects the person with detectable symptoms.

quote:

they should still be effective at largely preventing hospitalisation.

So far I'm not aware of any real evidence effectiveness in keeping people out of hospital wanes to any real degree. Pfizer and AstroZenica are both over 90% efficacy for that. For being vaccinated I suspect the real issue would be long covid and so far.... doesnt really look like thats a thing for vaccinated people?

quote:

I agree that it's not ideal. I don't want to catch the loving thing whether I'm vaccinated or not. Unfortunately in the long run it doesn't seem like we'll have a choice.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 3, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

thatbastardken posted:

they can pick a side and stick with it

estimates are ~5% of the population are immunosuppressed at any given time (mostly cancer patients). why do they deserve to die for your family holiday?

No one has said they want to travel for a holiday, the main reason anyone in this thread wants to be vaccinated and travel is family reasons. Asking people to pick a border is not recognizing for many rural communities services do not exist on their side and they need to cross for highly valid reasons like health or work.

My opinion on what is realistic and also some ideas for mitigation to protect immucompromised as best we can is further up the thread. I dont give one iota of a gently caress about antivaxxers but I recognize outside of that this is a complex issue and that at some point even if keep WA locked up forever there will be Covid escape into the community at some point. And it will spread. WA and QLD will not escape a large Delta outbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Anidav posted:

Oh man,

Yeah there's gonna be an election for sure in 2021.

I can't really see Scott waiting because he'd of had to have traded his vaccine supply away by 2022 leading to more shortages.

The vaccine supply isnt looking bad going forward into 2022, they are swapping some from the 40 million doses that are in the pipeline for a bit more momentum now (Poland's Pfizer was going to expire soon and they didnt have enough demand at the moment, maybe UK is kinda similar?). I dont think lack of supply will happen even with those fuckwits doing the ordering.

https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/covid-19-vaccine-government-response/australias-vaccine-agreements

The only reason I could see for an election this year is timing it to coincide with international border travel restrictions lifting.