Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cool to hear Gladys finally say the quiet part loud today - 'we might just have to learn to live with delta'

get fuuuuuucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I cant change my scheduled booking at the olympic park vaccination hub to get the AZ vax tomorrow because its determined i need pfizer and i cant change it.

goooooold standard

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

:dadjoke: everyone who has a job in this economy is an essential worker

this is what happens when you run a service based economy i guess?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The only reason Anthony albanese has been in the news besides some Luke warm cash 4 jabs is a lovely steak and veg.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Animal Friend posted:

It's still loving insane to me that the country is largely locked into the one vaccine that is now being recommended against the medical advice.

Greg "oval office" Hunt turned down 40 million doses of Pfizer in June 2020.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Eediot Jedi posted:

There was a sliiiiiiiiightly good point that at the time the vaccines were being considered, Pfizer had serious temperature control requirements that would've made it a logistics nightmare.

That said when I'm running a country and dealing with an uncertain future, I'm definitely going to put all my eggs in my mate's basket with zero back up plans because I am very smart.

A logistics nightmare that we are still using and rolling out so that point is moot.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hooman posted:

:brainworms:

At least the majority of comments are loving slamming this garbage.
code:
Tim Richardson
17 HOURS AGO
Why can't we have a target based on groups 1a and 1b? That is the key segment. A target on the whole population implies it's as valuable to get a 30 year vaccinated as a 70 year old, which doesn't make sense.

this was my favorite one. literally arguing that a 70yo is worth saving more than a 30yo.

you can small the franking credits on it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

KennyTheFish posted:

I am conflicted on mandatory vaccinations. I agree everyone should get one, and all methods to encourage or bribe deployed. But mandating it, or saying your existing job and means of support depends on taking a medical procedure makes me very uneasy. Can it be called informed consent if you can't withhold that consent without consequences?

I understand the risk profile, and the public health aspect. But informed consent to medical procedures being a big red line was drawn with a lot of blood and suffering.

yeah nah, you dont have to get vaccinated but you also dont have to work in <$role_that_requires_vaccination>

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Centusin posted:

This is by an anonymous doctor, it's a pretty good article about the western sydney situation, it mostly hits the points everyone has been saying for a month that financial assistance is needed and better multicultural communication.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw-is-almost-certainly-on-the-precipice-of-a-massive-deterioration-20210809-p58h9w.html

multiculturalism as practiced by the federal gov* was a mistake

*pump the economy via immigration and dont do a single loving thing to support their integration into society whether it be educational or financial or housing support

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

perepelki posted:

"It doesn't matter how you start the race, it is how you finish the race. It is how you finish the race. We are going to finish this race and we are going to race all the way to the finish line but we are going to do it as Team Australia"

How does one man manage to use so many words and say absolutely nothing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

the motherfucker skipping town for Mexico combined with pandemic has really hushed the whole thing up

We have extradition with Mexico but I imagine he's gone to hide in some private drug lord style compound off grid by now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The press will ask questions at the conference, get an extremely bullshit/wishy washy answer, and it follow it up with harder lines of questioning.

So yes but entirely in a way that does not hold her accountable.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im getting AZ next tue but keeping my pfizer appointment for October since it seems like its definitely going to be worth having as much protection as you can.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hard to feel like a nation in this together when the government of the most populous state is actively sabotaging the entire country tbh. I don’t know that I’ve ever felt less Australian than the last 18 months (and that’s starting from a low base).

Hate the individuals that are breaking restrictions like Mr Byron. Hate nsw gov for lovely restrictions that are too complicated to bother that they started far too late and keep changing. Hate the feds for not doing their job. Hate the press for loudly providing examples of how to abuse loop holes in the restrictions at every single press conference while softballing bullshit questions.

It's not really the peoples fault, especially those in the south western lgas that are getting punished because they won't take a vaccine they can't get and can't stay home because they'll lose their income or they just don't understand or even know - they've only been releasing the info and locations or translating the conferences for the past two weeks.

Fun fact too - the "walk in vax hubs" in these LGAs run in one location per day then move, from 9-3, and have 100 doses available per day. Also in my specific LGA each days hub is more than 5kms from my house so their actual locations leave a bit to be desired. (I know it's an exemption to the 5kms but it just adds to the confusion)

So the prospect of getting there and lining up (no bookings, remember?) and waiting around in a hot spot LGA around other people from the same hotspot LGA, for probably an hour or two, and if you can't get there before they run out, is kinda not a great proposition. It's technically against the 'raw' health advice of 'stay home, don't go anywhere without a plan on how to get in and out quickly' (yeah they say it's ok if you're getting vaxxed but really the risk profile is no different than going to your local Bunnings, supermarket or chemist for the same amount of time) and beyond that it's just not a great use of your own time if you miss out.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Eediot Jedi posted:

NSW Premier, after issuing the umpteenth change to health orders, states they are sick and tired of hearing people say they didn't know about health orders.

it really feels like they are changing them purely to drive infringement notice revenue.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Someone stop the ride and take the clown off the controls please, shes cooked.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The only threat to regional NSW from Canberra is The Nats

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Seemlar posted:

Closure of playgrounds and parks is just another extension of "look at how many people are on a beach in this photo taken with a telephoto lens" nonsense. A pointless punitive measure that makes no difference at all other than making peoples lives that little bit worse.

the amount of people at skate parks, playgrounds and other exercise adjacent public areas has been ridiculous.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The answer is to ban all religion, OP.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Everything else you said was fine but

perepelki posted:

so they don't bother teaching to their kids that actually, the nazis were bad, they weren't people to admire, their work was not exciting or visionary.

what the gently caress are you on about? all i was taught in high school history was ww1/2, nazis bad, japan bad, capt. cook and co. great.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

perepelki posted:

it could have been that your school was particularly good about it, or that my experience was particularly bad. i hope it's the latter, because if every rural small town's crop of 30-year-olds is like the people i grew up with then there are a lot of nazi-adjacent communities out there. the town was a major migrant hub for post-war immigrants, and where pretty much all the germans in nsw ended up in for processing on their way to wherever they went - a lot of them just stayed there, so the place probably did have a higher proportion of people with proud german heritage than most other country towns of comparable size. having fond childhood memories of one's out-and-proud nazi grandparent is definitely a risk factor.

My school had nazi graffiti on desks and I went to school in Cronulla so make of that what you will.

Im not defending swastikas on desks but I think a large part of why its so prevalent is because its a simple design to draw and its going to get attention. You arent seeing SS or iron crosses carved into desks because its just harder to do both artistically and covertly. a lot of the ones I saw in school were done facing the wrong way or at the wrong angle too.

same reason the 'Stussy S' is so prevalent. its easy line art. the people doing highschool tagging graff arent particularly talented artists.

e:

yeah I knew this but its what most people refer to it as. they should probably add it to the high school history curriculum

Laserface fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 17, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I just find it fascinating that they think their ideas are totally normal, fine ideas, yet have to operate in secrecy, cover their face, use aliases or otherwise hide.

all things people with sane, rational beliefs have to do regularly.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the fines for breaching any of the restrictions aren't harsh enough imo, even the ones that are 5k.

make it 5k per confirmed infection that results from the breach on top of the 5k for breaching.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the riff is OK. Kingswood is pretty bad though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

I used to walk to the Kingswood TAFE and it was funny to see the garden hoses get shorter every week and also take note of suddenly missing copper mains taps (this was 2007/8)

as a grown man, Kingswood and Canleyvale are the only two suburbs I have felt genuinely unsafe to be walking around in at night time. all the other 'bad' burbs of Sydney arent actually that bad and are in fact gentrifying or already gentrified (blacktown, marrickville, canterbury etc)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

Kingswood is badly thought out public housing that was just stuck out there at random/to hide the poor people right?

an ex of mine lived in penrith and went to kingswood high, some of her friends that I met were from kingswood proper and while im not saying the whole area is housos and bogans, they absolutely were.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Can nsw labor do anything at all to kick this mob out or what

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

gladys got called out on not locking down harder earlier again and just said something about how it was likely spreading unbeknownst to anyone at the start of the outbreak.

yeah no poo poo moron. you think? thats why you slam the fucker shut immediately like NZ just did.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think most people are now generally doing the right thing, its just that as pointed out by that reporter, there is 8 million people in NSW, 400 people doing the 'the wrong thing' seems inevitable. you arent going to achieve 100% compliance. and our daily transmission rates and infections probably cannot be avoided with the businesses that are still open and have to remain open.

and really its not those 400 people copping the fines that are actually spreading the virus either. most of the infections are coming from house holds which implies it is people that are actually complying with restrictions.

to make out like its a compliance issue is simply laying the blame on the public that has a lot of external forces acting on it and largely out of their control. a lot of people cannot just stop going to work, or work from home.

the people breaching the health orders should be fined but they arent the ones spreading the virus. its the people who are working in roles that dont have a choice and then taking it home to their household and I dont know how anyone can expect that to slow down without actually shutting down entirely and locking everyone inside with food supplies for two weeks.

even an all out lockdown still leaves super markets, food and servos open.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hashy posted:

It's clear this is going to explode so I guess I'm getting the clot juice despite my various blood disorders. Nobody in my town has Pfizer available even for those whose doctors recommend stay away from AZ.

Interesting to weigh up two hard to quantify risks of fatal consequence.

you are assuming great personal risk because a few businesses decided they didnt want to take on a small financial risk. remember that.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

perepelki posted:

exact same :smith:

It was cool to read, after my shot while making sure i understood the warning signs of AZ blood clots, that it could happen at any point 4-20 days after the first dose.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

4 to 42 days.

Outstanding.

bell jar posted:

Apparently they've figured out how to treat it though (or which medicines not to give, like heparin), I was reading through the advice to doctors about it because I don't particularly want to die. Seemed reassuring

for the next 10 days i live walking distance to Westmead so at least I'll survive if it happens within that timeframe (it wont happen, statistically speaking but ya know)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hooman posted:

gently caress me, Federal ICAC now. This corruption is so loving defeating. Gas lead recovery in the world of 2021. 10 years to 1.5C. What a pack of absolute cunts.

how do you even fix this? rotten to the core, on both sides.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

Trying to figure out the "strengthened lockdown" changes as we live in a spicy LGA and uhhh, looks like my partner can't get stoned and order ridiculously expensive ice-cream at 12am anymore.
I am very pro this. Thanks gladdy. Thaddy.

this was my only concern tbh and I am furious

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Sounds like a threat.

Also this is a quality feel good thread (about ten long, very worth it)

https://twitter.com/gregmlarsen/status/1430418818514309120?s=20

This has been the only time I have preferred the tweet/thread formatting to simply writing a standard post on any other website.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I literally just set it up less than half an hour ago.

The "proof" is just a link to a pdf file which has a line saying you've been vaccinated.

Anyone with a pdf editor could change it in minutes.

EDIT: Just spent a minute using an online pdf editor.

You get a .wallet thing when you get both doses but yes they are both incredibly easy to falsify.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

NSW Government making inspection of investment properties the only legal form of entertainment wasnt really surprising but a bit on the nose to outright just say it.

I guess NSW has reached its final form.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

I thought that was a joke but JFC they're still allowing investor inspections.

If I was renting a place in NSW right now and they were sending inspections through I'd just be sitting in the middle of the room coughing loudly whenever anyone entered.

its inspections of investment properties, not rental inspections (which are still allowed on empty premises by appointment only and 1 person at a time. I just did a few to get a new place)

i suppose you could still inspect an investment that had a tenant, but you'd hope the tenant had enough of a clue to either say no or GTFO while they are having unvaccinated boomers traipse thru their house.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

I did a search to confirm they were still allowing them and the article had quotes about tenants being asked to leave their home so investors could come through to inspect it.

fair enough, I suppose I got lucky with all my rental inspections already being vacated.

Im not sure why anyone needed to be inspecting properties when people are buying poo poo sight unseen as its the only way to get in before some boomer oval office with a bankroll turns up and outbids you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Seemlar posted:

That's also a pretty long time to have to try and keep up the delusion that the rest of the world is some terrifying post-apocalypse hellscape of death that Covid-zero states are a sanctuary from when anybody with the internet can readily see that's bunk right now.

Uhh mate maybe go check the covid threads because if thenrest of the world is not a post apocalyptic hell scape then it will be soon. America is basically snorting lines of covid on one nostril and horse drugs up the other. And I don't mean ketamine.