Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

vilkacis posted:

I don't remember spinner tiles being a big deal in these games - generally it's pretty easy to spot when you're being spun (in places they make it incredibly obvious by putting a thing on the ground so you can't miss that something happened) and they give you a compass. It's some minor fuckery, but easy enough to get around.

they are much more of a thing in the Ravenloft games and possibly Menzoberranzan but I haven't played that one in a long, long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

without spoilers I'm gonna say that for Strahd, Negative Plane Protection is an absolute must. Going without it is for masochists.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Wizardry 4 was the first recorded example of developers hatefucking their fans.

Takeshi's Castle beat it by about a year, but it's pretty drat close.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

vilkacis posted:

Yeah, this is something i'm pretty sure i saw explicitly stated in some of the manuals.

A mage with 7 con is more or less indistinguishable from one with 9 though, and would at least have been a little more accurate to the source material.

:doh: I completely forgot spell failure being a thing. For good reason. Goddamn. That is really goddamn mean.

I don't think any of the crpgs actually implemented it though...

...but then again they might have, since i had no idea EotB had bothered to include bonus exp, either!

I definitely don't know for sure but if any crpg would have included the most sadistic anti-player bullshit, it would've been the Gold Box engine

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

PurpleXVI posted:

Bulettes seem like an insane encounter at this point, their canon damage ranges are...

4-48/3-18/3-18

From three attacks, which would leave them with a 10-84 damage range, so apparently some madman thought they needed to be even more powerful. Sure. Why not.

As for the enemies that can petrify you, does the mirror shield protect the entire party or just one single character? Because if it only protects one single character that seems like an insanely frustrating thing to deal with, still having 4 or 5 characters susceptible to random save-or-die rolls(which, let's be frank, the Bulette attacks are as well). I would absolutely either give up the game at that point or just cheat.

yeah it's pretty wild having that come almost immediately after the beholder level which was already crazy enough. I haven't played Darkmoon in a while but I'm pretty sure I cheated this part like crazy too.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

lol at TSR copyrighting names in the Ars Goetia, wonder how they pulled that off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Testekill posted:

Man, how would a Frost Giant even turn around in there?

instantaneously, haven't you been paying attention