Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

StormDrain posted:

Start a thread.

You only have yourself to blame.

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever have to date. I just like to lurk.

Let me tell you a little about myself and my know-how first and foremost. I am a nerdy idiot that lives in the desert southwest of New Mexico. Background in animals, but my passion lies with the arts and for the most part I am entirely self-taught, a dilettante at best. I'm a photographer, painter, media arts, writing kind of guy. I'm not hugely mechanical but I have made myself, out of interest and self-preservation, familiar with a little of a lot of vehicle mechanics. I know enough that if something goes wrong that's not immediately obvious, I pretty much know where I need to look and can generally locate and problem solve/replace components. I own a big heavy 2 ton hydraulic jack and an ugga-dugga but again, so I can do routine maintenance and emergency repairs only.

That brings us to house maintenance. I've gotten decent enough that I like to build or repair things and it became difficult to haul materials in a little manual Yaris hatchback. I told my wife I wanted to find a dumb little truck for hauling lumber and supplies, picking up interesting discarded furniture, dump runs and firewood hauling. She thought this was a great idea and supported me in this decision as the used vehicle market started to balloon and local Craigslist was usually offering lil' dick trucks for more than 50k or non-functional, slightly burnt, no engine, no doors 20 and 30 year old trucks for like 6k. Not really an exaggeration.

Enter the 1987 Chevy s10. 2WD, V6, bone stock. Some dude listed it for about 1000 bucks, running. Very honest of faults in the ad. Wife said go for it, I emeiled him and was "2nd in line." Didn't hear back and wrote it off. He called me out of the blue weeks later and told me the original buyer was acting sketchy as gently caress and he was done. I met him in a parking lot, drove this thing around, gave him cash on the spot.

The truck was owned by a contractor that employed the seller's son for a number of years and after beating the truck to poo poo, gave it to the kid. The kid was not interested in having an ugly project of a truck more than 15 years older than he was. My gain.

The Good:

-Runs

-Someone put 15" tires on it at some point

-Is truck

-8' bed

-No Major body or frame damage aside from bottom of truck bed (meh) and tailgate

-All glass is fine

The Bad:

-Automatic

-Shift indicator broken

-Interior hosed - Upholstery rotted away, no headliner

-Interior door panels badly cracked and falling off

-Left Turn signal fully manual

-AC blows but needs charge or drain and conversion

-No door keys

-No horn

-Wipers stopped working suddenly in the third rainstorm I had the truck in. Fuse fine, connections fine.

-Tailgate all hosed up, Comes down but will only lock into place once out of ~15 tries

-Looks like nearly everything is original and is worn and/or desert rusted

The Ugly:

-Seat belts don't retract, one of them is literally tied together

-Didn't pass emissions originally

-Itself

(not actually full of trash, just old cushions that were included to make up for the foam divots and some bags of tape and stuff I was using)

The Replaced:
After the initial emissions failure, I took a shotgun approach. I had originally just hoped that it would pass as is and I could focus efforts as needed, but I did the things I was planning on doing already:
-Oil Change
-Spark Plugs
-Plug cables
-Air Filter

As well as a more measured and thoughtful shotgun blast of:
-O2 sensor
-Idle air sensor thing
-Distributor cap
-Catalytic converter

(some combination of all of this was the correct answer and it passed the last emissions test it will ever have to take as it ages out)

-Seat was covered with the dumb and ubiquitous saddle blanket cover for now
-Seatbelts replaced
-Tailgate removed and a bully net put up for the time being

-Rear passenger bottom shock mount replaced when the nut fell off at some point

GOING FORWARD:

-After looking at the shock mount, I think it's prudent to replace the other mount as well as putting in some heavier duty shocks.

-Figure out wiper blades

-Get a repair guide

-Figure out what the gently caress these go to:

???

??? Near wiper motor

-Sort out and niceify the interior

-Replace shift indicator

- Put in temp gauge??

I am not a car guy in many ways. I love vehicles. I like looking at them. I like driving them. I like figuring out problems but as far as upgrading and enhancing, I am a little babby.

This gets me to the last, but most important part. The appearance. I have always wanted a beat up vehicle that isn't really worth restoring and that I don't rely on to turn into a post-apocalyptic Mad Max-esque vehicle. Right now I'm just having fun with the paint, but it's slow going because of our current heat advisories.

I was debating dog, cat, horse, or rabbit but cat won out for the most visually recognizable head-on.

So that's it for the time being. I'm kinda out of my comfort zone making a thing about me, in spite of the vehicle appearance. So here's the cope of the thread:

Marking progress for the vehicle.
Your input and ideas, advice.
Small truck chat.
s10 stories, horror and otherwise.
Your apocalyptic vehicles: real, wanted, seen, sick as hell or dumb as poo poo.

But really. God I will probably need help and suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
hell yeah brother. psyched for this.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Looks like a 2.8... There's... options for those. 3400... iirc the nostart... also the isuzu 3.2 overhead cam drops in thanks to the trooper.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

cursedshitbox posted:

Looks like a 2.8... There's... options for those. 3400... iirc the nostart... also the isuzu 3.2 overhead cam drops in thanks to the trooper.

Definitely a 2.8. I think the far horizon includes beefier engine but who knows

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Droogie posted:

Definitely a 2.8. I think the far horizon includes beefier engine but who knows

Owns. I had a trooperII with one that had about 310,000mi on it. Burnt a quart every 40mi while getting about 10mpg of gas. iirc with the 3400 all you do is swap the tbi injectors for the one in the 4.3 and the original ecm plays nice while still passing smog. Both visually and tailpipe.
I also had a s10 blazer with the first year vortec 4.3. A tbi 4.3 would be a great repower option too though it involves changing the gearbox as the 4.3 is 90* boltpattern and the 2.8 is 60.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I've never attempted any major component swap in anything ever. The good news is that the truck never has to be smog tested ever again.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

In keeping with matters of paint job, The driver side cat will be done tomorrow, probably. When I started painting I had anticipated the s10 badge but much later decided to remove it. This leaves the front quarter panel mostly empty. I had a few ideas, swept back triangles (1)

Radiating triangles from the skull (2)

And thicc line gradient (3)

Just looking for opinion, suggestion, and even ideas for added fun! Shiny and chrome by committee.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

No opinions on the paint but I would really swap out that steering wheel center for something less deadly in an accident.

Check the turn signal grounds. I know some GM vehicles use a weird grounding setup to make the turn signals flash, but I can’t recall *which* GM vehicles.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Advent Horizon posted:

No opinions on the paint but I would really swap out that steering wheel center for something less deadly in an accident.

Check the turn signal grounds. I know some GM vehicles use a weird grounding setup to make the turn signals flash, but I can’t recall *which* GM vehicles.

It's very hollow thin plastic it will crumple and then the steering wheel will go through me, so I'm none too worried there.

I did find a ground wire behind the left headlight but could not figure out or see where it went. I'll take apart the housing tomorrow. That's a quality suggestion.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

If by the left turn signal being fully manual (you have to turn it on and then off after completing the turn) it's entirely possible that the little plastic cam/piece in the switch that contacts the steering shaft is broken.

I imagine you could get one (among other things) from Rock Auto for pretty cheap.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Captain McAllister posted:

I imagine you could get one (among other things) from Rock Auto for pretty cheap.

I'd bet this truck is old enough that there's going to be a wide selection of parts for any given repair in the "well under $10" range. RA seems to get screaming deals on parts for stuff that nobody wants to stock anymore.

For $1000 in today's market this shitbox is a screaming deal.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Can't wait to see this around the 505

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Arson Daily posted:

Can't wait to see this around the 505

Makes a dump run twice as fun!

Finished up the front and main on the driver side, started the passenger.

I went through the turn signals on the driver side and found nothing indicatively wrong. I thought for sure I had a bad bulb or single filament somewhere. All three turn indicator bulbs are fully intact. Connections are intact* and my next thought is the blinker relay itself, although the passenger side functions normally.

*The passenger front side does have this loving wire, which I mentioned before.

I cannot find where it goes, and the passenger side does not have one. I fully own that this is me being lazy and I intend to do some research after I post this. I just have a lot going on life-wise. I did, however, just finish a CV axle, hub and bearing replacement on the Yaris, AKA Tasha Yaris, AKa "The Capybara" which I'm feeling pretty proud about.

EDIT Never loving mind, that goes to the horn, which is not part of the assembly currently. I started to type in wiring diagram into a search and it suddenly hit me. A couple minutes later I confirmed my own dumbassery.

Droogie fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 15, 2021

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Have you checked the bulb wattage? If the bulbs aren’t big enough it may not flash.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Advent Horizon posted:

Have you checked the bulb wattage? If the bulbs aren’t big enough it may not flash.

Hmm... no, I don't believe I've ever done that for any vehicle. That's a thing? Legitimate question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

When I bought my FJ40 the fender turn signals had been removed and standard truck lights installed below the grille. It turned out those wouldn’t make the flasher flash, so the PO disassembled the factory signals and wired them back in under the hood. There was just a big ball of wires and I could see the lights shining through the hood vents.

When I removed all the crap the signals wouldn’t flash. I ended up installing an electronic flasher.

My wife’s truck has mismatched bulbs in the stop/tail lights and you can tell when they’re on. Lots of different auto bulbs fit the same sockets so it’s an easy mistake to make.