Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
I just did the "oh god there's 400 blue quests" thing a week ago, and yeah everyone covered it pretty well. I'll add that I did the first two extreme trials (garuda and titan) and both of them had a surprisingly short queue, I think because there's a billion other sprouts right now.

Also bug some goons to unsync drag you through binding coils, its fun, the music is great, the visuals rule, and it is kinda important story-wise but not required so you really should do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Pleads posted:

Thinking of trying this out with some friends but it looks like the free Trial version has some heavy restrictions on social aspects of the game (which seems weird to me since social stuff was the reason I played WoW for so long).

Is that still the best way to do things and just deal with the lack of whispers and such (we talk in Discord all day so can use that for communication, the lack of partying would be a bummer though), or would the Starter Edition make more sense?

If going with the Starter Edition, since it includes Realm Reborn and Heavensward, does that screw me for trying to upgrade to the latest xpac if we decide to stick with things?

(This thread is an A++ beginner thread btw, some extremely good information posted by everyone and an excellent OP)

Something else that works that me and my friend were using: you cannot create a linkshell (private chat channel) but you can join one. If all of you are on the free trial just bug someone in here to make one for you all, that'll let you have a chat in-game to use.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Well, I hit 30 on my Conjurer and I am about to start the white mage quest. For the most part, I have been enjoying it enough that if it gets as much better post-ARR as people are saying, I'll end up playing a lot.

I have a lot of little gripes too, but holy hell how can tab targeting be so bad?!? In a dungeon and there are 3 mobs your tank is engaged with? Hope you want tab to target a neutral mob 30 yards behind the fight!

Tab targeting defaults to cone, and it works weird. The first target is what you expect, it grabs the closest, but after that it works left to right across what you can see on your screen instead of grabbing the next closest. Its dumb, but you can game it by doing things like moving your camera around to only show the enemies you're fighting or just getting used to the stupid way it selects enemies and hitting tab more than once. You can also just mouse-select off the aggro list if they're on there, and you can assign a hotkey to that, but they won't be on it if you haven't tagged them even if your party did (which is, again, dumb).

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Endorph posted:

also, that isnt how the class system works. nothing you do on one class will affect any other class, they're entirely separate. you can get to level 7 as an arcanist, switch to level 1-80 as a gladiator/paladin and then switch back to arcanist and your arcanist will have exactly the same stats as when you switched. there used to be some crossclass stuff but it got weeded out more and more over time until it was completely removed.

Not completely, you can use 5 miner skills as a botanist and vice versa!

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

Or mash numpad 0 if the item is the first in your key item inventory, which it normally is

some of us don't have a numpad :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Pobrecito posted:

Man, FFXIV community is such a breath of fresh air compared to WoW. I've been mostly in groups with veterans and nobody has complained about me watching cinematics for the first time or not knowing mechanics.

I did just have an all-sprout first timer group for Titan and it was fun as hell. None of us had any clue of the fight going in so we had to learn the mechanics on the fly. We wiped one time when me (WHM) and a BRD thought standing in the red was a good idea lmao. But we cleared it on our second attempt.

Its a right of passage, everyone needs to do it at least once.