Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

Numbers aren't loving real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I want to see Punk vs. Kenta vs. Danielson in a stolen moves reclamation elimination match where the first to eliminate a man gets the Busaiku Knee, and the overall winner of the match gets to keep the Go 2 Sleep. Kenta would win both falls and Punk retires, Danielson starts using the Busaiku Headbutt as a finish, CTE eventually causes him to murder Kenny Omega for the AEW world title live on PPV.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
no one should ever be hurt. sorry that happened.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lamuella posted:

If Punk comes back to wrestling I'm sure he will be the same very good talker and largely average worker he was before. I don't need to see it but I'm sure I'll watch it if he's on a show I watch, I've just not been interested in him in a while.

He's made a couple of okay horror movies. That's good, I guess.

Clear bias as he is in my avatar but where the gently caress did this narrative of Punk being an average worker come from? Its known hes not athletic at all and not crisp but as someone capable of putting together a great natch he is one of the best ever.

He had incredible matches with just about everyone and the people who used to say he couldn't because he wasn't a rudiculous athlete were the old guys who took one look at this lean tattooed guy and immediately assumed he couldn't work.

It's just bizarre.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Eat My Fuc posted:

I want to see Punk vs. Kenta vs. Danielson in a stolen moves reclamation elimination match where the first to eliminate a man gets the Busaiku Knee, and the overall winner of the match gets to keep the Go 2 Sleep. Kenta would win both falls and Punk retires, Danielson starts using the Busaiku Headbutt as a finish, CTE eventually causes him to murder Kenny Omega for the AEW world title live on PPV.

Give this man the book Tony

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lid posted:

It's just bizarre.

He wrestled in the factory of misery for like a decade (8 years) op.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They had a Picture in Picture for Wheeler Yuta last week showing his Dark/Elevation wins that worked perfectly

I like the idea! Like we don't need some WWE style recaps where they have to remind you of things that happened 3 minutes ago, but a little context for what happens outside Dynamite helps make the other shows feel relevant at least.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

karmicknight posted:

He wrestled in the factory of misery for like a decade (8 years) op.

He did, and had great matches there oncluding with near over the hill Undertaker and with Brock off the top of my head. Hell Moxley was there longer and Punk had more great matches than Dean Ambrose did.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Lid posted:

Clear bias as he is in my avatar but where the gently caress did this narrative of Punk being an average worker come from? Its known hes not athletic at all and not crisp but as someone capable of putting together a great natch he is one of the best ever.

He had incredible matches with just about everyone and the people who used to say he couldn't because he wasn't a rudiculous athlete were the old guys who took one look at this lean tattooed guy and immediately assumed he couldn't work.

It's just bizarre.

Thing was Good before, but Thing was widely available and liked by an audience who I hate sharing with, therefore I must downplay Thing in order to maintain my aloofness and sense of superiority.

Punk was always solid, except around the injuries towards the end, and even then he was putting in a shift. He was never a natural athlete, but had that charisma that made fans in both the arena and online listen to his every word. He's not going to be Daniel Bryan levels of technical ability, but even before putting in those years in the WWE he was a great wrestler.

Years and concussions likely have taken their toll, but I'd be tuning in with excitement

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lid posted:

Clear bias as he is in my avatar but where the gently caress did this narrative of Punk being an average worker come from?

From me not enjoying his matches very much compared to other people.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i like cm punk but "concrete rear end" is a very funny thing to say about someone as a burn

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

give me punk/mjf and bryan/miro

also as MRT said on twitter: bryan/sting

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

britishbornandbread posted:

Thing was Good before, but Thing was widely available and liked by an audience who I hate sharing with, therefore I must downplay Thing in order to maintain my aloofness and sense of superiority.

Punk was always solid, except around the injuries towards the end, and even then he was putting in a shift. He was never a natural athlete, but had that charisma that made fans in both the arena and online listen to his every word. He's not going to be Daniel Bryan levels of technical ability, but even before putting in those years in the WWE he was a great wrestler.

Years and concussions likely have taken their toll, but I'd be tuning in with excitement

It's wrestling post-modernism: when Punk was at his peak and beloved the time was that Cena was a bad wrestler and overpushed, and then in his twilight years when he was no longer Super Cena his entire career was re-appraised and retrospectively making GBS threads on Cena's matches is seen as passe and he was a great worker. The inverse has happened to Punk despite contemporarily and retrospectively him having better matches at the time frame and retrospectively.

Lamuella posted:

From me not enjoying his matches very much compared to other people.

You were a minority then if you were saying at the time frame that Punk was average and having average matches. I do scratch my head at who your view of tiers is if Punk is a Ziggler or Miz level wrestler in your mind.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Who would be the best feud to have CM Punk do first? I feel like only MJF make sense in this one. He beats Jericho to tie a ribbon in that one. CM Punk comes out at All Out at some points. MJF is the perfect candidate to mock Punk about his absence from the ring and his attempt at MMA. Punk/MJF have a fight and either Punks wions to give MJF a rare loss or MJF wins via trickery. Bonus points if Colt/DO rescues punk from a Pinnacle beatdown (only if Punk & Colt make amends don't force this).

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Alaois posted:

i like cm punk but "concrete rear end" is a very funny thing to say about someone as a burn

them tribute elbow drops months and then years after savage died sure were something else

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lid posted:

You were a minority then if you were saying at the time frame that Punk was average and having average matches.

I'm fine with being in a minority. At no point was I insisting that other people think the same as me. If you enjoy his matches I am delighted for you.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Waffleopolis posted:

Who would be the best feud to have CM Punk do first? I feel like only MJF make sense in this one. He beats Jericho to tie a ribbon in that one. CM Punk comes out at All Out at some points. MJF is the perfect candidate to mock Punk about his absence from the ring and his attempt at MMA. Punk/MJF have a fight and either Punks wions to give MJF a rare loss or MJF wins via trickery. Bonus points if Colt/DO rescues punk from a Pinnacle beatdown (only if Punk & Colt make amends don't force this).

I really think he should be the one to plant the bug in Wardlow's head that maybe this contract he has with MJF isn't worth it at all.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

them tribute elbow drops months and then years after savage died sure were something else

god they were so loving awful

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I didn’t love the indie style of Punk’s ROH heyday—everyone was doing a strong style impression, punk/joe overrated etc etc—but he was a breath of fresh air in WWE with Kenta’s stolen moveset. He got to be a five moves of doom guy by the end, but you were always pumped to see him. He’ll be fine but he’s not going to *sign* sign, he’ll be PPV-only

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Waffleopolis posted:

from what little I have seen of AEW, MJF has just been an 11/10 heel. Him against fan favourite Punk is easily money

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I was never that excited about his matches and I can’t remember a single time he hit the GTS and it didn’t look like absolute garbage.

The draw was always his promos and what story he might tell around the match itself outside of just doing sweet moves, because he didn’t really do any sweet moves.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Punk's moves never looked crisp but he was good at character work, especially as a heel. If he didn't take himself so seriously, he'd be great as the straight man in comedy matches against Orange Cassidy or the Wingmen.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

just had a personal epiphany that being a massive Bret mark helps when it comes to being a massive Punk mark. Says more about me than it does about them, mind you.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Nothing Punk did looked spectacular or out of this world or something you couldn't do with a bored weekend of training, and that was fine and part of his benefit. It became more about how you can put a match together to keep the interest high, how well the chemistry works, and knowing what to do to make the match itself great.

Okada has the same thing, albeit as the most athletic man alive, in that when you watch Okada matches for his moves literally none of his moveset is something you couldn't train yourself, except he's perfected every single one of them, and knows how to use the simplest thing such as when to use a dropkick for maximum effectiveness.

Character work is massive in making great matches and knowing how to keep the fans interested and involved rather than being spectacular. Contrast him with Dean Ambrose whose character work was nullified at every possible end by WWE, or Rusev, and we could tell there were great wrestlers in there that were stifled. No one would argue that Rusev or Ambrose were out of this world workers, but Moxley and Miro are out of this world wrestlers.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
If anything I'd like to see Punk in AEW just so people stop losing their minds every single time they run a show in Chicago, as if there's literally only one reason any wrestling company goes there.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Drakkel posted:

Were they expecting like New Japan but in English?

Yes.

Some people reasonably expected something very NJPW-like based on the people involved and were maybe a little disappointed when it was closer to like. A mix of WCW, southern stuff, American indies with little dashings of puro in there. But I think all of those people have either adjusted to what AEW is or have just accepted it's not for them.

Meanwhile, some people were just looking to get upset no matter what it was.

Drakkel posted:

Part of me wishes they did a quick video recap of Dark/Elevation. Not huge just like, I dunno 2 to 3 minutes of showing the finishes/big spots of each match so people remember these characters exist. The crawl's a decent idea but extremely easy to miss.

I want a little more of what they did with Wheeler Yuta, like Quantum of Phallus mention. Just like, I dunno between Q2 and Q3, do "And here's Dark in 60 seconds!" where you run down important stuff to keep people apprised of the stories building on Dark and Elevation. For example, the stuff between Acclaimed and Varsity Blondes that's probably going to be blown off in an Eliminator match on Dynamite? Show a little bit of that promo on Dynamite to make people aware of it, even if you're going to build the entire feud on Dark.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Pylons posted:

I really think he should be the one to plant the bug in Wardlow's head that maybe this contract he has with MJF isn't worth it at all.

Unrelated to Punk-chat but I thought the Wardlow works for MJF not AEW thing was formally ended with the unveiling of the Pinnacle. I could swear MJF said or made reference to that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I haven't sat down and watched a weekly wrestling show in an age. If Punk signs with Dynamite, I would watch every week. He's the reason I got back into this hell-hobby in 2011.

You should give Dynamite a shot, if you liked the kinda stuff Punk did then you'll dig it :)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Also if Punk comes that means Punk, Doc Gallows and Serena Deeb are in the same company at the same time.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

rantmo posted:

Unrelated to Punk-chat but I thought the Wardlow works for MJF not AEW thing was formally ended with the unveiling of the Pinnacle. I could swear MJF said or made reference to that.

I don't think that's true but I could have forgotten about it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Rarity posted:

You should give Dynamite a shot, if you liked the kinda stuff Punk did then you'll dig it :)

Scoopsgal my friend I know you said AEW doesn't need Punk but...

what if...

AJ Lee...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Realtalk: Punk was a very good worker by the standards of WWE's roster in the early 10s but since then we've had the rise of Omega, Ibushi, Andrade, Fenix, Adam Cole and a whole lot more besides. Even if he was able to perform at his best level after 7 years away he's not going to seem as good as he used to be because the overall quality of wrestling is so much better.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

just had a personal epiphany that being a massive Bret mark helps when it comes to being a massive Punk mark. Says more about me than it does about them, mind you.

As a fellow Bret/Punk mark, good point here.

Punk and Danielson kept me interested in wrestling before I got into the alternatives, so it'd be very cool if one of them showed up.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/TrueWillieHobbs/status/1417959036746702852

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like Punk, but I'd be lying to say I'm over the moon about him. His big top run happened while I wasn't into WWE and he left as I was getting back into it. I know he's capable of good matches. I think, much like Christian, he'd be the biggest help behind the scenes. But I can't deny he'd be a gain for AEW as far as it being a pretty huge story and guaranteed rating for the show after he showed up. No question about that. As far as pure entertainment, I'd be more gassed about Bryan.

But honestly AEW feels so at capacity to me. One of Jungle Boy, Miro, Sammy, MJF, Darbz, Hangman, or some of the others who carried pandemic AEW are gonna get jilted in favor of these El Idolos or Blacks or CM Punks and I don't think that's fair.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

yes

i want everyone in the whole world to wrestle kenny omega because i think he can work with literally anyone on the planet and make them and himself look amazing

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
It's me. I'm the one poster in this forum unironically excited about a potential Punk/Christian match in AEW.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Rarity posted:

Realtalk: Punk was a very good worker by the standards of WWE's roster in the early 10s but since then we've had the rise of Omega, Ibushi, Andrade, Fenix, Adam Cole and a whole lot more besides. Even if he was able to perform at his best level after 7 years away he's not going to seem as good as he used to be because the overall quality of wrestling is so much better.

Oh I'm being very careful not to say Punk now would have blowaway matches, though he might have it easier than the New Style because being his style involved nothing that hard he could Ric Flair it so its ageless. But that's all hypothetical and yes comparing him to Omega or Fenix would be like "the hell is this" of insane takes. But the man has charisma for days, knows how to work a crowd something AEW puts a huuuuuuuge emphasis on, and just as an asset is very valuable.

Is he the future of the company? No, but Chris Jericho in his near-50s put AEW on his back and carried it in its first year, and hell they were the two who were most often compared to the other when they were both current - fan beloved insanely talented talkers who could work great matches with just about anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

can't imagine how methodical cm punk would be right now. if he is up for wrestling he should go back in time and do world of sport