Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is Windows support confirmed? Might pick one up for Asheron's Call or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is there an official source that says you can install Windows on the thing though? I'm sure it will happen, but it'd be nice if the bootloader and BIOS just let you out of the box vs some hacky setup.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

I would not get too excited about VR on this thing... I mean, yes, it's more powerful than the hardware in the quest, but iGPU and VR are a bad combination. you'll likely have to bring the resolution scale down a lot, on top of cranking the graphical settings down. and then streaming to the quest will be a hit on the CPU as well

even with an i7-10k and overclocked 3070, my hp reverb g2 will have trouble hitting 100% resolution scale on some games. (luckily the reverb has a pretty high internal resolution so even 80-some precent looks pretty sharp)

I will be curious how well it handles getting dunked into a dock connected to an external GPU for VR or couch gaming like a switch. The overheads shouldn't be too bad on the latest USB / thunderbolt, but we will see.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

repiv posted:

the deck doesn't have thunderbolt or usb4 so external gpus are a no-go

Aww shucks

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

My amiibo’s will work on this thing right???

I don't think any emulator has hardware amiibo support. Not even with a USB NFC reader.

If you can dump your amiibos to .bin files, emulators can read them but not write to them afaik. My knowledge is a couple years out of date though.

https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Amiibo

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Barreft posted:

Age of Calamity...
Physically hurts to play on Switch.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Im hoping ff14 will run on it

I read up on this a little. The non-steam version seems to run ok on Linux via Lutrix. Some minor issues with a few specific cutscenes.
The steam version has other issues that I imagine will be ironed out officially or worked around by fans.

People also play the game on lower-end hardware and portable Windows machines. It will run, but the real questions are how well, and what the performance difference is between Steam OS and Windows 10/11.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Too bad you can't plug it into a USB 3.1 thunderbolt 4 external GPU. That's the VR route for the pricier GDP Win 3.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

There was word back in Summer that Steam was working with AMD to get it officially Win 11 compatible. It's a strong "maybe" at this point.

Really hope it does. Windows 10 isn't the best for small touch screens.

Stux posted:

it should work considering its zen 2 but i have no idea why you would do that when win 11 cuts performance on amd cpus so heavily

Oh dang, didn't know.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

e.pilot posted:

I’ve got Win 11 running on my win 3 and have some bad news about it on small touchscreens too.

Oh no :(

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Vic posted:

No Deck? Aw heck.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Initial load time and in-game load times, aka the best and only benchmarks.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ja2ke posted:

StS for PC has a toudcscreen mode which hides/alters the cursor and changes most of the mouse behavior to be about clicks and drags instead of depending on a hover state.

I wish Dicey Dungeons would do this. You have to touch away from the 'end turn' button after using it or else your next turn gets skipped. It interprets your next touch as a click+drag starting from the last touched position, and that button triggers when pressed rather than released.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Now I'm curious about how Java Minecraft, both modded and latest official, will run on the thing.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

From my experience, Minecraft (Java) runs better on Linux, like almost anything that uses OpenGL.

Same here! A relative had an old beater laptop that couldn't run it well, and it was a night-and-day difference after putting Ubuntu on the thing. We also tried swapping Java for OpenJDK but didn't notice a difference. Modpacks used to be complicated under Linux, but there are different launchers these days.

I'm mostly curious how it performs on the Deck's hardware specs with Linux.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Chubby Henparty posted:

What's the secret to getting java minecraft on Linux to run well, I tried it on our beater laptop and it ran like rear end. Installed Android bedrock on it and it runs great, which is nice for multiplayer with Windows.

No secret, it just ran better out of the box compared to fresh Win 10 on the same hardware. It was basically playable on Windows but not comfortably.

There are tips out there but I didn't get too into it aside from switching to OpenJDK, which apparently was a downgrade.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-steps-install-optimize-minecraft-linux/amp/
https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft-java-edition/survival-mode/297111-howto-optimize-minecraft-for-linux

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 1, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

hosed up about Retro Arch. Thanks for the heads up homeless snail.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Word on the street is Yuzu with precompiled shader cache runs as well or better than real Switch. Not pokemon Arceus upscaled with increased FPS and render distance mods, but a 1:1 handheld experience may not be unrealistic.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

:shrug: Let's just say I'm not going to sell my launch Switch on the say-so of "word on the street". If these rumors turn out to be true and you can get decent performance out of a Switch emulator on the Deck, more the better, but I didn't put in my order hoping to be able to play anything more recent than GameCube or maybe Wii on it.

"The street" is YouTube now. But people tend to demo games running for the first or second time, or didn't get the precompiled cache files, so it hitches.

Don't sell your Switch, that's how Smash online and Pac-Man 99 happen. It's also easier to play Switch games on a Switch.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kirios posted:

IIRC the sticks are one of the easiest things to replace. Easier than the Switch.

Yeah just get a whole bag of them and a cell phone repair kit it's nbd.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Popping in a fresh pair of iFixits for the big new release.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If you're doing Slay the Spire touch screen tests, could you please try Dicey Dungeons if you have it? I've been waiting for a fix to the 'end turn' button issue that skips your turn. Here is a description:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/861540/discussions/0/3108018050526099687/

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

NRVNQSR posted:

This seems to work fine, I'm not getting any skipped turns. I feel like the Deck may be using the screen like a mouse emulator in DD rather than a true touchscreen, so that might explain the difference? It leaves behind a mouse cursor wherever you touch, for example, which presumably native touchscreen behaviour wouldn't.

Thank you so much! In Windows it interprets your new touch as a very fast click-and-drag from the "mouse's" "old location" to wherever your finger just went down. If your last input was a tap on the 'end turn' button and your turn comes up you're hosed.

Now I'm actually excited for this thing.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

^^^ That's messed up

Samopsa posted:

After Q2 people should now get a Q3 date confirmed on the order page if they apply!

Can confirm, my After Q2 now shows Q3 here:

https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck/

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone using OneDrive or a similar cloud solution to sync up their curated ROM collection? How'd that work out for you?

Also, is there a dock that works for both the Steam Deck and Switch? I know the 1st party Nintendo one sure won't.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Lockback posted:

I've always hated it but I've seen people use it super effectively so :shrug:

I've never been satisfied with Gyro where it isn't natively implemented. Like it makes a lot of sense for it to be bound to an ADS hold/toggle but I never love it. But it's the best poo poo ever in Splatoon and Zelda so it can be a plus.

Great idea to make it toggleable via thumbstick covers. Good stuff Soul Glo.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Wait can you not just connect the Steam Deck to a PC to access it's SD card like a phone?

Welcome to Linux, console and PC players. Don't worry it won't even take you a whole afternoon to learn how to import SSH keys and set up an SFTP server.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Gonna need to see some benchmarks across micro SD card file systems and card class. I think I've read that it doesn't make full use of upper class 10 SD card speeds, so it's possible SD card file system won't even have a measurable impact.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Setting up SFTP from scratch is not trivial if you're just used to moving data to a SD card on a PSP, Nintendo Switch, or smartphone. It's reasonable to expect smartphone-like behaviour when you connect to a PC with a USB cable.

Not a problem personally because it's fun to tinker but it's a big ask for a caveman with some romsets. I like ExcessBLarg!'s solution of just never interacting with it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Who said "from scratch"? Apparently the Deck already has OpenSSH installed. Unfortunately I can't verify that as I'm not going to be able to get one for months, but if Reddit is to be believed, the process consists of:
  • Setting a password ("passwd")
  • Starting the SSH server ("sudo systemctl start sshd")

When was the last time you connected a PC to another PC with a USB cable?

Beyond that, USB with actual-mobile devices isn't as straightforward as folks make it out to be. The PSP is a very old device and supports USB Mass Storage, which is fine. The Switch doesn't support USB connectivity with a PC at all. Smartphones are either (i) iPhone so use iTunes, (ii) Android so maybe you can use MTP, or maybe you can use adb, or maybe it just doesn't work either.

A layperson is gonna understand little of that and not know what to do next. Syncthing is a better suggestion for non-Linux-regulars.

Good point that the Deck is a true PC and therefore can't do USB connectivity like Android Linux smartphones do. The Switch uses FAT32 or exFAT for the cards so USB connectivity isn't needed to ferry data. That's a good option for Deck if SD card file system doesn't hit load times too hard.

VVV Honest answer, people are imagining and suggesting roundabout solutions because they made the SD card contents inaccessible to most computers. Yourself included - SMB is another ok suggestion but in a perfect world it shouldn't be necessary for this.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 22, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Oh my god yes. Just use a USB stick and dock or type C adapter. No need to bother with any of that.

Legitimately did not occur to me.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The video of the guy plugging GPUs into the deck's M.2 slot was really interesting.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Arkage posted:

Pretty good review. One caveat, to get files on the system for emulation I'd recommend Warpinator (the linux app) and Winpinator (a windows port of said app). Lets you send stuff really quick over home wifi, and is likely significantly less hassle than his method of a thumb drive dongle.

Thanks I always forget what this is called.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

loudog999 posted:

I’m confused about whether this will run FFXIV out not. I’ve read that if you own the non steam version, I do, there is some sort of work around but I’m not confident enough to try it out. I was planning on buying it again through steam but I’ll wait and see if it becomes verified. I guess in the meantime I can try streaming it from the PS5 to see how that works.

If you own it on PC outside of Steam, don't buy it on Steam.

Maybe get the demo on Steam and swap out the files for the SE version or something.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I would rather like a Steam Deck.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The alternative Final Fantasy XIV launcher, XIVLauncher, has been ported to Linux. This should allow non-Steam owners to play on the Deck with far less hassle.

They even have a guide for it:
https://goatcorp.github.io/faq/steamdeck

The package is available in the Discover Store and on flathub.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If you have a Bluetooth headset and want to use audio input at the same time as output, good luck.

Marx Headroom posted:

I picked up one of these USB hubs per thread recommendation and it works great. The HDMI adapter is ace.

Neat! Quoting so I might find later.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 25, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I would pre-emptivly get a couple thumb sticks, but they are also out of stock.

Big fan of iFixit. I heard their kits got more plastic and less metal over the years, but my old one is still going strong. I cut in a slot for toothpicks or Q-tips.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

For anyone who is using it as a ROM machine, how are widescreen emulators on the thing? Bsnes-hd, WideNES, WideGB, Genesis GX Plus Wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

That's super duper nice of Valve!

I checked google, which was ultimately reddit, to see if there's a slot for a wrist strap.
There isn't, and people drop their tech a lot it turns out.