Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Anyone have clever ways to hold the deck up while on the couch or in bed? I don't mind holding it as designed but my partner's hands are quite small and it's just a lorge boy. She's much happier setting it on something and playing with a PS4 controller.

I thought one of those tablet stand/holder things would work:

But the clamp is just slightly too small for either dimension of the deck. I thought for sure someone would have released a ball-joint clamp that works with the steam deck but I guess not? Any ideas?

Fake edit: looks like the deck mate is my solution. Just buy one of their universal pucks and stick it to the holder I already have, somewhere where it doesn't mess with using it with a tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

While we're on the subject, anyone know how to bring up the dots menu that allows access to Decky plugins if you're playing on an Xbox series controller? The ability to check my controller's battery while using my controller would be p nice, but if any of the buttons maps to that I haven't found it yet

It also kind of kills the point of the Bluetooth plugin if I can't access it without getting up from the couch

Xbox + x

Just holding Xbox for a few seconds pulls up a cheat sheet too

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Should I play through chrono trigger for the first time in an emulator or with the remastered version on steam? ($20CAD)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

Just finished Pizza Tower (highly recommend). Next up is Outer Wilds, but I'm not starting it yet because it seems like the kind of game I have to clear my schedule to start and my wife wants to finish the current season of her dumb reality show so I'm holding off until that's done (we have a kid and free time is at a premium)

Outer Wilds is one of the best games I’ve played. My partner and I went through it together, playing for a couple hours a week on Sunday mornings. She likes puzzles and adventure games and I like flying spaceship. We both cried like babies at the end. Can’t wait for the rawness to fade so we can play through the dlc. You’re in for a treat

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the discussion and genre clues. I had no idea these were “metroidbranias”. Partner and I were calling them archaeology puzzle games but yeah. Bought heaven’s vault for when we’re done with Pentiment!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For the most part, I don't think the game is intended to be scary. It's not a horror game. That said, the first time I flew into Dark Bramble and was eaten by anglerfish I decided to stay away from Dark Bramble for a long time, and yes I think that reaction was intentional.

Generally though, when the focus of the game is discovering why an ancient race went lost, who were also attempting to blow up the sun there's just this inherently uneasy feeling as you keep playing. The first time I saw inside Ash Twin from a projection pool and saw a third mask I almost flipped out thinking there was a third person--perhaps a Nomai--alive and aware of the time loop but nah it's just the computer.

Are you sure? Pretty sure that third mask is the nomai you find when the quantum moon is at the eye of the universe. Soleum.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think so, I'm fuzzy on the details but I think there's a statue in the probe tracking module and there's a message inside Ash Twin implying that it's receiving data from the probe tracker. I don't recall that Soleum herself is aware of the timeloop and she's in a quantum state of deadness anyways.

Oops, I meant Solanum!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

post a list of these please!

So there are also some similar puzzle games that are not quite this. Seems like the genre is defined by the only barrier to beating the game being information gathered throughout the game. So strict puzzle games aren't exactly the same. However, it seems to me that The Witness and The Talos Principle are two very close games.

Otherwise, in my googling:

Fez
Her Story
The Forgotten City
Heaven's Vault (on sale now at GoG!)
Telling Lies
Overboard!
The Sinking City
Return of the Obra Dinn

Mostly discussed in this article: https://www.nintendolife.com/features/what-the-heck-is-a-metroidbrainia-introducing-the-newest-genre-on-the-block?page=2#telling-lies

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Obra dinn looks extremely stylish and I can’t wait to play it in like 2027 at this rate.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I often had to alt tab into it on PC but I blamed epic for that

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gaz2k21 posted:

My SD Card doesn’t arrive until later today….so I thought I’d try getting remote play working for my PS5 I added Chiaki and got it working, I’ve found that it freezes quite easily and the sound is crackly, I’ve messed around with some settings but as yet have not found a solution….does anyone have any advice???

Describe the network environment for us. Is the ps5 plugged in to Ethernet?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I’m just glad that these genres have such hard edges so they’re easy to avoid!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Wow you all weren’t kidding about Dredge. What an excellent game! I thought the fishing minigame would get old but then I went to Gale Cliffs and they're all different and that's great.

My Deckmate “universal mount bundle” arrived! I gambled on the sticky part being low-profile enough to attach to this arm I want to use.

This may be a green cube :greencube: thing, OP, since it kind of pertains to accessibility.

I have a couple of spinal injuries that cause me issues. The last few months my neck has been pretty unmanageable. So I have this tablet floor stand from Amazon. This lets me do my job (teaching remotely) and recreation (watching Star Trek with my partner) while laying flat on my back without moving my neck. I love it.

I also bought the SD because sitting upright to play games is not tenable and in my loving around with map games with various remote play options,* I've decided that it's not quite good enough yet, let alone if I'm at my parents' or something. I love reclining with the SD on a pillow on my chest, which is also how my partner plays games in bed with it. However, on bad days this doesn't cut it and I need to just lay flat.

So why not just hook the SD up to the floor stand?

Enter the Deckmate mounts:

Perfect, except I still need this to work with my ipad.

drat. It's like, maybe 1-2mm too thick.

I thought about putting the other side of the mount on a magnetic ipad case but my partner doesn't trust it (and it would be just our luck for an ipad to fall on my face, chip a tooth and then I get covid at the loving dentist) so I bought another arm. So now there'll be an SD arm and iPad arm.

The arms just drop into the floor stand so it's easy to switch them out, and the 1/2" piece on the bottom is standard so it also works with all sorts of desk clamps, like this.

*These streaming options all seem to be optimized for shooty and slashy games. Witcher 3 is fantastic in Steam Remote Play and Parsec but map games like CK3 or Humankind have all kinds of gross artifacts and issues with resolution changes and so on. The best for map games seems to be the productivity-focused clients like Jump Desktop, Microsoft RDP, TeamViewer, etc but they still struggle. The deck with a little KB and mouse or just the trackpads works great, comparatively.

Anyway this process has involved a lot of fruitless searching (the Deckmate rec was key, so thanks!) but I think this solution will work and I'll update when the new arm comes and I hope this helps anyone else with back problems or even just people flirting with the edges of comfortable gaming.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I got one of the games they were selling for a 20bux that I didn’t really want but it does mean there are sort of valuable games up for grabs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Kind of weird to simultaneously love a game so much to make it a blanket recommendation but also only love it if a certain type of player is the only group that can enjoy it.

Like I really love ONI so I welcome all the sandbox and seed customization options, even though I never use them. They’re good because more people get to enjoy this thing I love.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I really wish it had thunderbolt so I could plug it into my existing stuff. But oh well!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The most fun games are all like $30 and you need to make a spreadsheet to enjoy them. I don’t know what else you could want!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

90s Cringe Rock posted:

deck 2 with numpad

BRB just hot gluing my Bluetooth number pad to the back of the deck. Great idea!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Suran37 posted:

I have freshly re-imaged my Deck after installing a 1TB SSD, but Decky plugins seem to be busted. VibrantDeck doesn't affect the saturation at all, ProtonDB badges don't show up, SteamGrid doesn't show any results. Any idea what the issue might be?

I imagine it could be something with the device ID of the drive but the first thing to check is a full reinstall of Decky and its plugins.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
A couple people have hinted that they use the sd as a pc sometimes. Anyone have any luck running windows in a vm on it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Why would you run it in a VM? You can install windows natively

I teach technology for a living and need to have arbitrary versions of software for demos and stuff like snapshots. Linux and macOS have very good built in tools for how I like to work, but I need windows any time I have to show a student something.

I do my job on a PC fine but I would just prefer to have my demo environment be virtualized and separate from the main work spot.

And yeah, it’s not essential because I have a pretty good setup with my Mac and gaming pc, but the key to good teaching is contingency planning and it would be great to have the deck available as an emergency work computer.

Just booting into windows off an sd card is also good so that’s probably the way to go, even though it’s not perfect.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

unruly posted:

You want your work back up to be... your gaming focused SteamDeck, so that you can run VMs (which you can already do)?

I...

Well, I work entirely remotely so it’s not like anyone sees what my devices look like. I don’t go present my kpi’s in some board room somewhere, i try to explain where the taskbar is to people and how to right-click their mouse over zoom.

And I’m just asking because I already have this thing, not some other thing. Just wondering if this thing I have can do something I already need to do, in case the way I already do it fails.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

Tbh., I've been in that sort of situation before. There's a reason I carry multiple devices to important presentations. My own presentation laptop, a USB stick with the presentation and a portable version of Libreoffice, a link to the presentation on my own Nextcloud instance…

I totally get being crazy prepared. Customs hosed up your Laptop? Have a backup. Have a backup for your backup. Be prepared to hold your presentation on chalkboard if necessary.

100% This. One time I was biking home from a friend’s and my bag broke, casting my laptop, which is my work device, across a grocery store parking lot. It survived but I had to deliver lessons in the next half hour and i didn’t even worry if it would work because I have backup options.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

libvirt / virt-manager (or virtualbox, ugh) should work fine on the Deck. Windows is really finicky, though, and its RAM hungriness will lead to issues.

You can reduce Windows' idle resource usage by adding hyper-v enablements to the VM, but, like, you are in some deep wizardry area at that point.

Thanks for this, I may spend a few hours tinkering with it to see how it goes.

I do actually have a couple of SATA M.2 drives and an enclosure already so if the virtualisation doesn't work I'll just try dual-booting from that.

unruly posted:

I can almost see the scene play out:

quote:

Aw poo poo! Looks like my desktop crashed, again. Sigh, fuckin' IT. Hang on.

*Rustles around behind the desk, unzips deck case, presses power button on the top*

Okay, now just pluuug this in. There.

Okay, so just ignore the hentai games while I swap into. gently caress! C'mon bro stop messaging me at work!

Sigh

Okay, there we go, desktop. Uh, lets see if I can use these little pads to.. gently caress... grr.. c'mooonnn.. Okay, there.

Password? Oh, hang on Steam + X... and on screen keyboard, beep bop boo, yeah. Oh y'all saw that? gently caress.

lolled at this

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

OP dont you hate it when you ask whether something's possible and they respond like you asked whether it's advisable

Yeah I guess I was a little surprised by the response but it's actually very funny to imagine someone using a steam deck for their job in a corporate environment. I started imagining that and it helped me see that nobody is actually being mean to me here.

I do also appreciate that just buying another drat device is often the best solution for someone's experience, it's just that I actually enjoy tinkering with Linux and setting up stupid tech solutions that nobody actually needs or wants (until they do). The wizardry of getting the VM set up and running Zoom and Office properly seems pretty interesting to me, which definitely puts it ahead of buying another device.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah it helps that this company I work for can barely distribute files properly. But they pay well and part of that is the expectation that part of your money should go toward work supplies. I know it's anti-worker but this is also how every teaching job I've had worked, except for one for a NPO that expensed every piece of equipment to the granting foundations.

In games:

Great rec on graveyard keeper. This game loving rules and I bought the DLC as soon as I tried it. Runs great on Deck after setting the resolution correctly.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
No problem at all just booting into Windows 11 from a SATA M.2 enclosure. I followed the guide here, but it's very simple and the only possible hiccup seems to be getting the drivers into the new install, since you have to change the permissions for a folder to do that.

I installed Office and Zoom and ran a little test screensharing call:

Works perfectly. Kind of wondering if I shouldn't just remote into it as my demo machine because of its incredibly low power requirements. Now I have this for whenever it's needed!

It even boots when attached to my cheapo USB-C extender/hub thing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

History Comes Inside! posted:

Doesn’t seem to wanna boot and it’s almost midnight so I’m going to bed instead of troubleshooting this novelty

Is that maybe because it doesn’t read a memory card inserted?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I wonder if Valve will ever be able to get downloads in sleep mode. I'm pretty shocked that the Deck can't do this ultra basic feature that even the 3DS, and PSP have.

Yeah, iirc the ps4 and other old devices that do the rest mode stuff have a separate set of electronics for it. https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/j6yfrj/the_ps4_had_a_secondary_processor_and_separate/

I don’t know if this is true but it does explain why the feature is relatively rare.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have a reproducible bug!

Does anyone else have an old 8bitdo adapter? Like the 1, not the 2. I have a 1 and a 2. The 2 works perfectly with all my controllers but the 1 causes an immediate hard crash loop when I plug it in.

I’ve tested this with three different USB-C to A hubs/dongles and in various states like in a game, docked to a monitor, and off.

If this happens for anyone else, I’ll send in a bug report, otherwise I’ll have to reformat I guess?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ the criteria are shifting here a bit eh? These are all “mobile devices”

Yeah kind of a weird take, even my kindle downloads books in the background like weeks after I put it to sleep

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

hats the recommended articulated holder-grabber?

I just made an articulated arm work using a deckmate. Gonna screw it in place after the adhesive failure that was just posted.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713&perpage=40&noseen=1&userid=103341#post531153288

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Switching is less than ideal because it doesn’t change the button labels on the actual controller. e-ink buttons when

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Can you set up the metadata on those things to be like, visually interesting instead of just grey cards?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ignis posted:

Use SteamGridDB on Decky, there's probably a cover for your app already unless you're trying to use something really obscure

Oh cool, thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

Until you start getting the nag screens and like 5-minute countdown timers. I've switched to using a KVM switch for when I need to use a KB+M on my Deck.

That's the effect of vent smell.

Yeah VNC is free and works well on the deck.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wonder what factors into that, it's been really good for me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

Forgive me if I do not make sense here: For remote play, is it possible to have it so the game is minimized or otherwise does not display on the main monitor of my pc, so I could play my game remotely and use my PC at the same time? I am not sure if remote access programs work like that.

Yeah you’d create a virtual display with software or an hdmi dummy dongle, then set the game to display on that “monitor”. Steam streaming will just show what’s on that monitor and the rest of the computer should just show the desktop.

Now I don’t know if this is usable because if you use the mouse and keyboard on anything but the game, it will lose focus and I’m not sure if it’d accept input from the client device at that point.

A way around that problem would be to use a virtual machine. Just do your computer poo poo in a vm and let the host computer serve games. You could do the same monitor trick above to make this as close to native as you like.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yaknow, you joke, but I kinda just want a Lo-Fi gaming console with a library that exclusively comes from itch.io and if the playdate wasn't a forever-in-preorder nightmare to buy I'd probably get one.

Isn’t that just an analog pocket? I want one for sure but I’d probably just play the same stuff I play on my deck on it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nam Taf posted:

If I ever take it off the dock, it's because I'm playing a game in bed or outside my house, in which case I'm using it solely in gaming mode. I don't have tuyop's technological/financial brain worms, so I don't try to whip it out in a client meeting to fire up a Powerpoint slide deck covering the investment potential of growing basil.

Whoa, deep esoteric pull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
drat I got that lovely fan and I really hate the sound it makes. We can change these?