Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mescal posted:

It looks loving massive in the dude's hand

Steam Deck: It looks loving massive in the dude's hand

I got the middle one for some reason. I still dunno if I even want the drat thing yet but it looks like a better switch which I love.

E: was curious about the weight being an issue since it's so much bigger than the switch and so I checked what my switch weighs with the satisfye grip. 562 grams IIRC vs. 666 of the steam deck. Can't imagine it'll be that noticeable for me at least.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Thought something new and interesting was announced, turns out it's two dummies arguing about loving apartment sizes. Guess that's a pretty good summation of SA.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

3pm, 256gb and q1. Good enough to have time for reviews and to decide if the reservation is worth keeping. Not caring too much because poo poo is getting crazy delays nowadays.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

So I finally got this today and it works perfect!

Definitely should be enough for the deck.

You posted about this less than 24 hours ago. If that's not instant gratification enough then goddamn.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Cowman posted:

same day as Elden Ring, very cool. I'm still "After Q2 2022" but I'm fine with that.

Same after changing my order in December to the big money one. Should give plenty of time to check out reviews and decide if it's actually worth it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've had my launch switch sticks fixed once about two years ago. In the US where they fix them for free it's a minor inconvenience because there's not always big games on it that interest me releasing all the time (plenty of downtime). Still, they should have fixed this poo poo years ago with a better design.

Dunno what I want to play on the deck yet at this point. Hope it helps clear out the back log though and lets me chill on the couch while the wife watches shows. Much like the switch but with an expanded library of my PC games.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

anatomi posted:

Is it possible to change your pre-order for a cheaper model?

I realized that I'm 99% gonna use the Deck for streaming games from my main PC. I ordered the fancy model for the screen but it's not worth the price difference.

I switched and went the opposite direction. You go to the back of the queue. But yes, you can change it by cancelling and reserving the other one. I did this in December and it just says after Q2 which I'm guessing means "gently caress if we know anything past June at this point"

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

When I measured my switch with a satisfye grip the length and weight were comparable IIRC.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

loving Moron posted:

I'm going to buy this just for Project Zomboid because I am a god drat moron.

Carpet matches the drapes, user name post combo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I love how no game is ready at launch anymore. Makes me ok waiting on my steam deck until 2027

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rinkles posted:

i think with covid devs deserve a bit of benefit of the doubt

Agreed, I just feel like this was also true in the before times

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Power banks are cheap and I don't see the big issue. Yeah more would be better but it isn't a deal breaker.

2 hours is fine as a dad gamer anyway, I never can play my launch day switch from full to empty in a sitting anyway. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

After trying steam link on my tablet with a controller I might cancel, lol. I was surprised how decent it was, though slightly too laggy for multiplayer games. I'm after q2 though so it won't help anybody.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

minusX posted:

To be fair, this is how most people will be playing big current AAA titles on the deck if they have the beefy PC in the house that can run it. Having the controller built into the handheld is nice but I'm sure I'm going to dock it to my nice TV.

This is mostly a toy that isn't required, but will making it nice to take along this for travel vs having my desktop replacement laptop.

Yep, and I'm planning in my basement to put my goon battlestation next to my TV so I can just run an HDMI right into it so it makes even less sense. :v: On the go stuff will be nice if I ever leave my basement, I GUESS

Overall it still looks promising but I'm ok with not being in the first batch.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

caldrax posted:

I reserved a mid-range and I wish I'd reserved a top tier. I assume there's no way to change that without losing my place in line? I'm "Q2."

Yeah this is me and I'm after Q2 now. But may still cancel anyway. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

BTW, obviously it's for a good cause, too, but if you want like a bazillion games for your new Steam Deck, consider getting in on this bundle:
https://itch.io/b/1316/bundle-for-ukraine

There's a guide on YouTube for setting up itch.io games, plus a lot of them have Linux ports anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQGjUuw8_A

What are some highlights from the bundle? I dunno what's hot garbage and not but so far I'm at least downloading these:

Superhot
Baba is you
Celeste
Crosscode

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

I spent a month in the hospital with my wife leading up to our first being born six weeks early

You know nothing op

:hf: same here. Switch was great for that lead up but I didn't bring it to the delivery room, lol

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ColdPie posted:

I have to imagine I'm one of the most experienced Excitebike 64 players on the planet, thanks to that 3 day hospital stay in 2001.

Hey man I owned that game. It was fun.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

My wife was on bed rest for two weeks and was bored as hell. We were 3 hours from home and her water broke at 32 weeks so we were stuck in a random hospital away from home. The switch was awesome for all the waiting around. It and the deck are the perfect dad gamer consoles.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

Looks like they are part-way through 6 min xx sec 512GB US orders as of today. About ~15 min after orders went live for 256GB models and ~17 min after orders went live for 64GB models. This is all US data and does not apply to any other regions.

Lol looks like I should have kept my launch day 256 pre-order instead of changing my mind in December for the 512. I'll get it approximately 2030 if I'm lucky.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

And fewer software bugs. Hoping that it improves and you guys get your stuff fixed quick.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dec 5th, changed my mind to order the 512.

Est: Monday March 27, 2023!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Thanks, beta testers

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dramicus posted:

I've completed 4 60+ hour games on the Deck so far.

Rough math but that's roughly 20% of the time since the steam deck was launched. :aaaaa:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

Buy One Get One 15% off game store credit at Best Buy: https://bit.ly/3JHcGWp

https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/1514332244432752640

Good way to get a discount on some Steam credit (which I can't get a discount on anymore)

For those ordering decks in the near future, get some money off steam bucks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I am deck-less and don't have that happening in PC steam unless it's doing it in the background and I'm not noticing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I pre-ordered on Feb 28 and the calculator is currently estimating an order date of Dec 12, 2022. The first time I tried, it said May 2023, so things are speeding up.

Heads up to anyone messing with the calculator, if you click the "moo" button for step 5 (import data), that data is over a month old. Do the "upload the latest data manually" thing instead.

Wow, I hadn't rechecked this. Now it says Sept. 2022 even though I'm "After Q3 (October 2022 or later). Previous was March 27th 2023.

E: Still taking that with a big grain of salt. There's some people that supposedly have After Q2 or even After Q3 that already got theirs...

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 27, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Insanite posted:

+1. personally, i wouldn't risk it. might just be paranoia, though.

I'm loving my Deck so far. Really great "what the Switch should've been," at least for third-party titles. I bought a ridiculous number of ARPG indies over the past week, and rather than running choppily and costing me $200, they run well and cost me $35 all together. :hai:

I love arpgs, please share what you got and how they run!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Two super quick and easy ways to drop files on your deck.

1. World's Easiest FTP

Go to desktop mode and open the terminal, paste these lines in to install a little ftp server:
code:
python -m venv ~/MyVirtualEnv
source ~/MyVirtualEnv/bin/activate
pip install pyftplib
And then these to run it:
code:
source ~/MyVirtualEnv/bin/activate
cd ~
python -m pyftpdlib --write
An FTP server is now running until you close the terminal window.

Over on your Windows PC, open a new explorer window and click on a blank spot in the address bar. Type ftp://steamdeck:2121 and cross your fingers. It should open up your user folder on the device.

If you changed your hostname, replace "steamdeck" with the new one. If your network does not allow hostname resolution, replace "steamdeck" with the device's local IP address ("ip a" in terminal to find).
If you want to use a better FTP client go for it. The one built into Windows Explorer is serviceable.

This is lifted from someone named oh-nyoo on GitHub. If you just want to copy over a few small files, it's kind of overkill, and you should only do it on a Network you trust. If you are copying a LOT, like all of FFXIV for example, be aware of the Deck's auto-sleep as it will interrupt the transfer.

2. Onedrive

Check that OneDrive in Windows is logged in. In explorer, drag and drop your desired files into a OneDrive folder.

On the Steam Deck, go to desktop mode and open Firefox. Login at https://onedrive.live.com/ . Download your files and then delete them from onedrive. You can use the file explorer to move them from Downloads to your desired location.

You can totally do this with Google Drive, Dropbox etc. I just already have Onedrive logged in and syncing folders.

Stuff like this needs to be compiled and made into a "new deck effort post" for when I get mine (in 2023 :v:).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Wow, I have changed my reservation twice now (256>512>64, lol) since my launch day preorder. Valve is going to make me commit eventually this year.

Which version do you guys have and any regrets? I currently have a 64gb on order but would upgrade the SSD and/or do a micro sd most likely. Looks like you can get an SSD for ~$100 and I could install or just grab a big rear end sd card. Are the other upgrades worth it in your opinions? I doubt many have seen say the 64gb and 512gb side by side to see the screen comparisons but just wanting some opinions of folks who already have theirs. Money isn't a huge issue for which version and I will probably tinker with it either way.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Animal posted:

I think you are overthinking it.

Yeah that's me

Protocol7 posted:

I filled up all 256gb + 512gb on my Deck and all I play is Vampire Survivors

But also this

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I have the 256 GB model and I think that's the right one for most people. The 512 GB model is also totally fine, but personally the etched screen wasn't worth the price premium especially since I have a screen protector on it. I think the 64 GB model is problematic unless you plan to crack it open right away and replace the SSD. While I'm comfortable replacing the SSD, it's not something I want to do immediately and would prefer to stick with the stock one through the warranty period.

The reason the 64 GB model is problematic is that even if you install games to the SD card (which is default with a card inserted) games still require space on the internal storage for the shader cache and compat data. For example, I have 15 games installed right now and they use 207 GB of the SD card, but also 16 GB of the internal storage. If I had the 64 GB model that would severely limit the number of games I could have installed simultaneously--probably the 512 GB SD card itself wouldn't be the limiting factor. This is especially so since 32 GB of the internal storage is not user accessible (this is going off the amount reserved on my 256 GB unit, but I assume the 64 GB ones are partitioned similarly). Anecdotally there's a bunch of Reddit posts of folks complaining about how the shader cache has already filled up their 64 GB eMMC.

It's kind of like Apple devices, unless you're buying one to run a single application you're probably best hedging on the storage upgrade.

Thanks for the post. Everybody else too. I saw the same 512gb Kingston ssd (same as the oem one in the 512 models apparently) on ebay for cheapish today so I just picked that up for whenever the 64 gets here. I'll make sure it works out of the box and then swap it pretty quick I think.

While I can afford the other one, I can't fight the urge to do the thrifty thing since it doesn't look hard to swap it. Growing up poor permanently damages you, lol

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 30, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Vampire Survivors is video game drugs and a dangerous combination with the Deck. Must buy for $3.

I cannot believe he hasn't raised the price, especially with how popular it has become and how much content has been added.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

forest spirit posted:

I can imagine in a year and a half, two years, it'll probably be 50~60 bucks, and I think takes all of 15 minutes to replace

This is all guesses and straight wrong info. It's one of the harder things to replace because it's adhered to the case. People get scared applying heat to the adhesive near the battery, and probably rightly so.

But yeah, play games and worry about it when the time comes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

soldering is not hard and doing one wire on each stick is about the easiest possible "baby's first soldering job" that you could ask for.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

jokes posted:

Diablo 3 doesn’t have controller support on PC because Blizzard loving sucks.

This is so annoying but having D3 on deck and switch would be kinda silly for me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Sounds like something someone with a small screen would say.

Says the guy with a tiny deck

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Just got my updated MagGlass matte protector and while I never had the original to compare, this one is in fact a good fit for the Deck screen and now I have a matte screen 256GB. Would recommend.

I've heard they make it a bit more blurry. What are your thoughts? I have a really reflective protector on my switch and wouldn't mind something...less but don't know that I like that trade off on a small screen.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Looks like a lot of orders today. Went from 9% to 31%. Few more weeks it and at this point it seems (and I switched models in June or July because I'm an indecisive gently caress :v:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

negativeneil posted:

got my reservation email this morning! If anyone's still waiting, my reservation was placed Oct 9, 2021 and the various calculators online predicted I had another 30 days of waiting. So Valve has definitely accelerated things. Now I just have to cross my fingers that my 512gb model doesn't have bubbling under the etched screen the way so many recent 512s have had (if Reddit is to be believed).

Yeah it's really moving the past couple weeks. Here's mine after changing my mind on June 6th 2022. Already at 53%. Could be ready next week or the week after at this rate which is nuts. Maybe there's less demand for the 64gb, but I'm gonna swap the SSD and throw a big card in there anyway.