Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Is there any functional difference between the cheapest model + a whopper of an SD card and an anti glare screen protector & the most expensive model, other than a few seconds of loading time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Doctor Zero posted:

Don't forget the feeling of self-loathing you get when you think about how you could have gotten a better one every time you look at it.

Pretty sure I’d just be happy to own it at all. My only console (at the moment) is a PS4 and I just got that this year! So still have much catching up to do in terms of modern gaming

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Got a deck, it’s awesome - just wondering if remote play together is working on it at the moment and how I’d go about setting up a game? It’s not clear how to do this, any help would be much appreciated

Edit: Nevermind worked it out

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 8, 2023

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
As a follow up to my self-answered remote play together question, anyone got any recommendations for good remote play together games? Just played some of the new Cuphead DLC stuff and it worked great

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
I got caught in a crazy amount of rain yesterday and my deck got kind of wet, it was in the case in a rucksack which was somewhat water resistant. When I opened the switch case up it was wet to the touch, like it’d been splashed or something like that. It switches on but am a bit worried that it’s gona make the components rust or something. I only got the deck a week ago, have I already hosed it up??

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Am away from home at the moment but will do this when I get back. It switched on fine about 20 hours after the event, probably should’ve left it longer tho

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Probably just being neurotic here but does anyone else have dead zones on the trackpads along the edges next to the screen? I.e. along the right side of the left trackpad and the left side of the right one?

Like just along the edge but it’s noticeable.

Just a bit worried about water damage after getting caught in that bigass rainstorm with the deck in my bag.

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 12, 2023

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Probably just being neurotic here but does anyone else have dead zones on the trackpads along the edges next to the screen? I.e. along the right side of the left trackpad and the left side of the right one?

Like just along the edge but it’s noticeable.

Just a bit worried about water damage after getting caught in that bigass rainstorm with the deck in my bag.

Weirdly the trackpads work all the way to the edge on Monolith (great game) but the issue I described still remains on Faster Than Light. So it must be a software issue. Hmm.. The Deck did crash a couple times navigating the controller configuration menus. Surely water damage would just fry the whole thing rather than making it crash in menus tho? Argh I hope it’s alright, I just got the drat thing!!

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Left trigger was making a squeaky spring sound, found a fix on Reddit - blowing vigorously into the gap into the interior around the trigger. Hilariously it worked, no more squeaky spring trigger

Edit: Spoke too soon - as if to mock me the squeak returned. But it’s a minor quibble either way. Very much enjoying a first playthrough of Disco Elysium - completely lives up to the hype

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 13, 2023

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Goddamn Disco Elysium is good. Having a whale of a time with this, just incredible writing - another top notch goon rec

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
So I’m looking for something affordable that’ll tax the graphics card to try to ascertain whether it’ll crash under pressure, to see if I’ve inflicted water damage on my deck in the incident I mention earlier in the thread, and whether I try to should RMA it or not. There’s not a great deal that’s cheap on offer so soon after the recent sale, would Trine 4 be suitable to test the GPU in this way?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Kild posted:

Surely there's a benchmarking software you can use?

Would be interested to be pointed toward some sort of relatively idiotproof way to do this on the deck

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Well Trine 4 worked for a bit on the highest settings completing the first level and then in a cutscene afterwards it crashed. It -is- on the highest settings though so I’m not sure what I’ve proved

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Where can I find Benchmarking My Deck//DreckMark? Google avails me very little

E: gently caress you’re joking. Sense of humour failure there drat. Still gona get 3D Mark (E: E: Or maybe not at that price. drat it)

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 15, 2023

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
It says it’s ‘unsupported’, will I have run in desktop mode or some such? Returned Trine 4 (not my bag) and bought a Doom Eternal key for further graphical investigations

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Seems to run Doom Eternal on the highest preset without complaint. Tentatively going to say it’s fine (knock on wood). Looks like the Deck can withstand a light splashing then, would definitely recommend against it though if only for sake of your mental health!

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Anyone got recs for good podcast/audiobook games? Games still enjoyable without needing sound or heavy reading essentially

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
So cool cats what's the dealio with the deck dock? The official one the way to go or is there a third party one for much cheaper that does it all?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
But can it be powered from the mains and also what do I search to find a third party one?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
There’s a performance overlay that won’t go away even with the settings in the ‘…’ menu. Says GPU, CPU and GAMESCOPE.. Any hints how to get rid of it?? Cheers goons

E: Nevermind, updating the steamos fixed it

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 12, 2023

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Ayo my good goons, I’m looking to get some of those sweet sweet accessories, what would you go - for a PS5 controller? 8bitdo ultimate? Or something else? And what to get in terms a keyboard + mouse? I saw an iClever foldable keyboard/mouse thing that looked pretty neat. Thanks goons!

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 22, 2023

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I would never buy a controller without hall effect sticks ever again

Why’s that? Any you’d recommend?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
So when you say Xbox controllers are we talking Xbone controllers or what? Haven’t dabbled in that ecosystem for some time

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Monster Hunter Rise on the deck is a thing of beauty

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
How does that there System Shock remake hold up on yon Deck? Anyone know?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Nice! Might have to pick it up then

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
I love me Steam Deck but by gently caress it hurts my hands. Must be getting old or something. Anyone got any exercises to prevent or mitigate the cramp/numb hand thing that happens?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

jokes posted:

Play more games on the deck

The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak!

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Basic Chunnel posted:

Ideally? Dock it or prop it on a stand with a lighter Bluetooth controller. If you want something approaching the control scheme and aren’t lucky enough to have a Steam Controller, an Xbox Elite 2 controller has 4 paddle buttons (you’ll probably need to get the paddles extra, but they’re not the expensive bit).

For stretches —
1. Arms in front, close and open your hands vigorously, like you’re flicking water off of them. Do this 10 times.

2. Hold your arm out straight in front of you, 90 degrees from your body. Relax your wrist, palm down, and press on on the back of it with your other hand, toward you. You should feel it on the back your hand just in front of the wrist. Hold for 10 seconds.

3. Same position as #2, but curl your fingers on the relaxed hand into a sort of loose claw. Press with your other hand between the knuckle and first joint of the fingers. You should feel this on the middle-to-top of the hand. Hold for 10 seconds.

4. Arm out straight, palm up, relax the wrist. With your other hand, press the fingers toward you. You’ll feel this on the heel of the hand. Hold for 10 seconds.

5. Arm out at your side, palm facing away, bend your hand back toward you. Turn your head opposite and crane your neck to that side as well as you can. Hold for 10 seconds. You’ll feel the stretch in your shoulder and upper arm. That’s your ulnar nerve, which runs through your wrist to your fingers. Stretching it should help with the pain some.

If you absolutely must play the Deck handheld, use a pillow or something that will take some of the weight. Use wrist braces — anything to maintain neutral wrist position — and use ice and heat on your hands and wrists. But… that probably won’t stop or reverse the progression of hurt. It might slow it. Don’t take this poo poo lightly. It can hurt more than it is. Your body is telling you something. Ignore it at your peril.

Thanks for this! And also thanks to the other goons and their suggestions. Yeah, might invest in a dock and those case things to see if those help.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
How do I clean those shaders out again? Can I do it with the vanilla steamos install?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Looks like they updated steamOS to show how much space the shaders are taking up, but still no official way to clear em?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Anyone know how The Hunt: Showdown runs on the deck? Thanks :)

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Does anyone know how Dark Souls 3, Sekiro and Elden Ring compare graphically on Deck to on a PS5? I got the souls bug and I’m wondering which console to get em on :thunk:

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Quantum of Phallus posted:

are you joking. they look and run way way way better on ps5

Ah okay. I didn’t know if the improvement was marginal or significant, cool cool I’ll grab em on PS then! Thank ye

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Setup Chiaki and you'll get the best of both worlds.

Not a bad idea, thanks!

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
It normal for a deck to completely lose its charge on its own not being plugged in for a couple weeks?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Ah that’s alright then. Was worried for the battery a second there, thanks all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
You playing Helldivers 2 on Deck? Does it not run like rear end?