Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

pseudorandom name posted:

Valve has been collaborating with anti-cheat vendors for several years now and the promised compatibility has never arrived so I wouldn't hold my breath.

MarcusSA posted:

While this is true now they have a significant financial incentive to get their poo poo working.

Yeah they're announcing an entire hardware platform based on this working, they must feel pretty confident about it. But absolute worst case scenario, several high profile mulitplayer titles don't work. Personally IDC, I don't think I'll be doing any pro competitive gaming on my 12lbs handheld with 2 1/2hr battery life anyway!

I spent over an hour trying to get a pre-order in yesterday right at 10am pst, by the time the pre-order went through it queued me up for Q2 '22 expected release :(

Anyway, re-watching videos and seeing the combo touch pad + gyro controls in an FPS just gives me a big computer nerd boner. Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I've been holding out on buying Disco Elysium until it came to the switch, but maybe I won't wait now that I can eventually play it in bed :thunk:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
dug my steam controller out of storage and its kind of magical. def too clicky but goddamn the touchpads are good.
took me five minutes to type this but the split keyboard is really neat. already getting faster!

oh my god you scroll the the web by rotating your thumb on the left touchpad like its an ipod :3:

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 18, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I dunno if people realize this, but in VR you don't actually have to walk 1:1, you have this thing called an analog stick right, and what you do is you move it forward and move virtually in the environment.

It's pretty wild, I can find some youtubes if someone is still confused.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I recently upgraded from a gtx970 / i7 3770. Everything still ran great at 1080p, only upgraded for VR and 1440p. I bet the Deck will hit 60fps with most games at 720p.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I think the question will be, is it max/high/med settings that it'll do 720p60 at (depending on the game, obvs). You can (and I have) done squint your eyes try to estimate performance, but that quad channel GDDR5 is an X factor I'm not sure how to evaluate.

Yeah thats fair. I fully expect the pc community to sperg out on every game and for a shared google doc to appear showing the ~optimum~ settings for each individual boss fight in a game.

The tiny bit they showed of Control definitely looked like it was running at 30fps, but that is an extreme example of course. This thing can technically do ray tracing right?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I have those grips too and they do make the switch feel huge. And crappy since it doesn’t have rumble :(

As far as installing windows goes, I’m sure it’ll work okay but lol at your battery life. I’m sure one of the benefits of using the OS it comes with is it’s actually optimized for it!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
My amiibo’s will work on this thing right???

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
portal 2 + gyro aiming hell yes

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lmao

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

JuffoWup posted:

Question for future deck owners: What games are you looking forward to the most to play on it? Like, are there specific games you already have planned in your head to couch/bed/travel game on your deck with.

For me, it is terraria and unpacking. Just nice games to play and relax to. If Civ6 adds touch support, that'll probably another one. Especially with the dynamic cloud saving feature.

I bought Disco Elesium or whatever and am holding off until I can play on the Deck. Can't friggin' wait!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
They’re gonna redesign it at the last second a la virtual boy so it has a stand because it will break your shoulder blades holding it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Seems like those touch pads really gently caress with the placement of the dpad and whatnot. Hoping they’re worth it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

homeless snail posted:

They absolutely are, if you intend to play anything that doesn't have controller support or, even, a lot of games that do. For one you can just, use it as a mouse if you want to play something with a mouse cursor. Its vastly preferable to play idk Civilization with a touchpad than a joystick emulating a mouse. Also a lot of games that do have joystick support like for instance FPSes, you can actually get better aim with the touchpads in trackball mode. Or you can set them up as radial or popup menus, or bind them to regions of the screen or whatever, there's like 12 different ways to bind them in Steam Input.

This is all, based on my experiences with the Steam Controller which the Steam Deck is directly following in the footsteps of, and can leverage all the bindings people have uploaded to the workshop for. If you're setting out to make a controller that can play All PC Games, that's the way you do it.

I should say I am overall happy they included the touch pads (until proven wrong). I absolutely love the feel of the steam controllers touch pads. The problem I had was spending more time customizing the controls for msg5 than actually playing the game so I gave up.

But since every unit has these things there should be some nice standardization across games. Hopefully!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

pseudorandom name posted:

No, we have exhaustively established that it is not, in fact, powerful enough to emulate a Nintendo Switch.

Have you seen the graphics in Mario golf? Maybe in a few more years.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I have the hori pads and they make the switch feel comically stupid. Maybe it’s because they don’t have rumble and therefore no weight so it feels cheaper.

Much better ergo though!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I’ve always been a rumble slut, since the n64 rumble pak, but the PS5 is beyond anything else out there it’s incredible.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

minusX posted:

Everyone knows it's what all the other guys wanted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G23XtCDDIEM 4:50 is when the rumble pack comes in but if you want to laugh at cheesy acting the whole thing is 90s as heck.

Lmao that is amazing. They also feature the superior blue controller when demo’ing it.

I never realized the 90’s gaming wars included Sony and Sega torturing Mario. They should have parodied the Reservoir dogs torture scene tho

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
are there any videos of people using the touchpads to navigate menus and UI's and games n such, or is it all just dumbasses showing proc perf monitors while talking about voltage rates?

Also this game better have good rumble:

Edit vv That makes sense, thanks.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Turbo dorks and even some normies use steam simply as a chat client. They have a massive amount of daily users but I wonder how many actively play more than two different games a month.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
True, but steam is counting every user with a steam client set to auto start when windows logs in, whereas all other competitors have to count paying subscribers. I just don’t see those daily engagement stats as 1:1 comparable to a paid subscription service with regards to profitability.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The deck is in direct competition with golds gym as its heft will finally make men out of us all.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I hadn’t thought of the deck wrt streaming locally. That’s loving killer.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Stormangel posted:

In high school I saved up and bought a Game Gear, Sonic 2, and Mortal Kombat 2 back in the day. Knowing it's appetite for batteries, when it came time for a trip I bought a 12v adapter. Luckily it was that translucent plastic which was en vogue at the time, because when I tried it out it almost immediately caught fire inside! My dad returned it and the replacement caught fire as well. After that my dad just gave me a big pile of batteries for the trip. I don't remember actually playing it on the trip.

lmfao I hope your dad noticed this fact and never forgave you

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
So will devs have to release updates to enable aiming via gyro or is that some weird system level hack you can do?

If the former every game developer is currently prioritizing this work, right!???

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Quantum of Phallus posted:

buy a Bluetooth controller

They did. A 600 dollar Bluetooth controller.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

NRVNQSR posted:

Steam Input should allow gyros to be set up to emulate either mouse or joystick in any game the Deck supports. How good it feels will probably depend on the game and how much work you put into tweaking it to your liking, but the few people I've heard talk about it were positive about their experiences.
That’s really cool! I know I need to get my expectations in check but I can’t wait to try that out.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Commander Keene posted:

Q3 here, I waffled a few days before reserving mine.

Took me 30 minutes to get a order in day of as steam kept timing out; I’m now pushed to Q3. So, don’t feel too bad!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Valve itself only exists because a few ex Microsoft guys wanted to do games better, no surprise they aren’t interested in investing into Windows. Despite the fact that gaben probably wrote windows 95 :classiclol:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It’s louder than any other handheld. Probably bigger than any other handheld, and will break your girlish wrists.

Plz cancel preorders.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Haven’t games been gpu bound for the last 13 years? Why would a mobile device focus on the cpu :wtc:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Ah okay; didn’t realize the only off the shelf options only come in that config. Valve must have spent so much money on this project it’s insane to think about what a gamble it must have been.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Everyone’s gonna be running around with an unsecured open ftp service on their poo poo.

Linux lmao

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Mozi posted:

Yeah it's definitely more than a few anecdotes at this point. Pretty disappointing TBH.

Valve sabotaging their own payment system so I would miss out on the Q1 hardware problems was controversial but brave.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

PowerBeard posted:

Nice self report, baby hands.

lol

My hands are shamefully skinny and will never be photographed

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Nearly a year after ordering this drat thing as fast as I could I got a steam pop up asking me to confirm my order! How long does it generally take to ship once you’ve paid?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MarcusSA posted:

You should have it in about a week give or take.

:zoid:

Can’t wait to finally dig into disco Elysium while in bed

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Deck was supposed to show up yesterday but it’s been changed to ‘pending’ with no delivery date. :negative:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Steam Deck in hand! First thought: holy poo poo this is lighter and thinner than I imagined.

I haven’t actually played anything yet because all games are loving massive, and this seems to be struggling to hit 10MB/sec when close to my wifi router. Also why is rocket league 20 something gigs!?

Are you not able to download things with the screen off? The power button seems to suspend everything, if I leave it alone plugged in the screen doesn’t ever turn off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

minusX posted:

Turn on dev mode options, turn off the power save for WiFi.

Also yes you cannot download and have the screen off, it sucks but also I guess it's so people don't try to throw it in the case as it can get hot with the 5ghz radio and the m2/sd cards.

Thank you! Oh that actually makes a ton of sense.