Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
do we have any idea how many of these there'll be? by december, and later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

Outlets besides IGN are previewing the Steam Deck now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L2j_pFgEuk

They compare the regular vs. etched glass at 3:25

bit hard to judge the capabilities when there's no framerate estimates.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any gaming benchmarks?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kwolok posted:

Two posts above you he does forza benchmarks. Also small snippets of control and street fighter in the same video.

edit: I guess benchmark isn't the best term since it is fps capped. But in control it is 1.7x better than the gdp win I guess? Seems good, 71fps in control, even if its just the intro building where it will defnitely be higher, feels great to me.

GN had it slightly above 30 (which isn't great)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Some big titles in there. Do all these games really not work, or have some of them simply not gone through testing?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Outriders, Just Cause 2 and the Darksiders games were the standouts to me. That and Watch Dogs 2, but is that a Ubisoft Connect issue?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

since ubisoft connect running in the background is required for many ubisoft games, does that mean the ubi connect launcher itself will work? or do their games do some alternative check instead when running in SteamOS?

I'm asking because the former would presumably mean you could run your non-steam ubisoft connect games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

It works fine as long as you install the unofficial patch, which you need to do on Windows anyway. This is one of those cases where the game itself is kinda broken out of the box, it's weird they're still selling it in the state it's in. The publisher really needs to make the unofficial patch official somehow.

one of my favorite recent patch notes

(fallout 3)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

I love how no game is ready at launch anymore. Makes me ok waiting on my steam deck until 2027

i think with covid devs deserve a bit of benefit of the doubt

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is Steam link any different from what Steam uses when you stream a game to another PC? When I used that, the latency was pretty good over wifi, but the image quality would intermittently deteriorate, occasionally getting really bad. It was fine 80-90% of the time, but that's not good enough.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wasn't Steam Big Picture and the Controller interface supposed to get an overhaul with the release of the Deck? Was that postponed, or just a rumor? (Or is that stuff there, but exclusive to the Deck?)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone disappointed in their purchase after spending some time with it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DoubleT2172 posted:

Currently it's been an Elden Ring on the couch machine and I have LOVED it for that, and I definitely know I'll be using it for a long time for games I can play on the couch while my spouse watches TV

What's the fps?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If you trusts goons, there were similar stories about FedExed PS5s here on SA at the height of the craze.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

VRR screen tech isn't that expensive, right? Any reason to think it's something we're not likely to see in a future model?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I was kinda surprised to see Oblivion as verified. I’m installing it now to see how it works because I sure couldn’t get the windows version to work on my aya neo controls wise at least.

Probably not a game you want to play without the script extender, though.

And Oblivion either has very basic or non-existent gamepad support. Of course, there's a mod that fixes that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I’m not going to seriously put a lot of time into it but the windows version has no controller support so I’m curious what they are doing here to make it work.

Probably Steam Input M+KB emulation, which is rarely great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stupid Boxes posted:

The touch sensitive joystick

What’s this mean?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Idk know if you'll easily find something much more powerful in the price range. The chip shortage affected laptops as well. It's probably better now, but last year I saw very few good deals on budget gaming laptops.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The battery is glued in and seems like a real pain in the rear end to replace, though it is replaceable.

Valve made a big deal about user serviceability. So I imagine there's a good reason for using glue here?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

nm, wrong thread

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

What’s kinda funny is that for some of the older games on Steam, that could have been the warning anyway for modern computers because I remember seeing a lot of reviews on misc. games where people say stuff like “Warning! This game is broken on Windows 10+” etc.

patch note from 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lockback posted:

I believe there are still audio jankiness and other annoyances. But the biggest issue is: using Windows with a controller kinda sucks. Keep in mind, this isn't "steam presents windows: Deck edition" it's just Windows thinking your on a PC. You can hook it up to a keyboard, mouse, bigger monitor but now your defeating the portability.

I mean, play around with windows sure, but I think it's a long way of from seriously competing against SteamOS, which surprised the poo poo out of me with how far it's come from when I last dicked around with it. And yes, a local gamepass option would be ridiculously awesome.

Isn’t windows okay enough with a touchscreen?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Epic launcher doesn’t make any concessions for controller use, right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lockback posted:

MS released step by step instructions including Linux commands to get gamepass streaming working on the Deck, so I don't think they care much about what OS you're on. Also the Steam Deck is like 4 months old so

Why wouldn’t game pass streaming just work out of the box with a browser?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sorry for the ignorant question. Is the work that’s been done on Proton likely to eventually lead to something similar for Macs?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

njsykora posted:

It’s possible, but unlikely it’d be done by Apple themselves. The closest we have right now is Crossover, which is a subscription program (about $40 a year) which works pretty well in making windows games work on MacOS. Andrew Tsai did a good video on how to get the best prices on that if you do go down that route.
https://youtu.be/5tuWFR_QHcs

Do you think it’s something Valve would be interested in pursuing?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Theoretically, how many hours of a game like Slay the Spire are you gonna get out of the Deck? Or maybe someone’s already tested it.

On my iPad I can play for hours without thinking about the battery level. On my laptop it would probably be a bit more than two, and it would burn my lap doing so.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fast charging degrades the battery more, right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

You can turn down the performance and set to fast mode for animations. It's a card game, bar Java optimizations, it's nothing huge.

I just wanted an idea of what the battery life was with less demanding stuff

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's stupid, but everyone does it so everyone else does it too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bloodplay it again posted:

Almost every game up to this point in time has been created to run on a 5400 rpm HDD. I think it is safe to say any even remotely moderately new microsd card (at least the ones in the storage sizes you'd want to buy) have read and write speeds that trounce mechanical drives.

Is this actually true? I did some tests with an external HDD and a microSDXC memory card a couple of months ago, moving large files back and forth to a pc, and the hard drive was considerably faster. I don't remember the exact figures, but it was a big difference.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

No, it was spinning rust.

One amendment though, cause I forgot something (e:as I see you pointed out). The hard drive was still faster, but the SD card got close to catching up when I used a USB SD adapter instead of the laptop's SD port. Pretty sure it didn't come close to saturating the USB 2.0 bandwidth, because it would've beaten the HDD otherwise. e2:I just checked, and the adapter was USB 3.0, regardless.

I did the test with an Outriders install (44GB).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 12, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I know I should've been expecting this given I've emulated the PS2 on some ancient CPUs, but I'm still impressed by how well PCSX2 runs on the steam deck. I'm playing Dark Cloud 2, and it looks great, and the deck sips power while emulating it.

edit: okay, ace combat 5 is a bit more demanding (still emulated with ease, but the projected battery life is getting low...)

I played around with PCSX2 a couple years ago on my old PC (970 with a i5 6400), and yeah there were a lot games that ran brilliantly. I think most PS2 games just didn’t push the console too much.

But when I got to the Ratchets and Gran Turismos, I couldn’t get 60fps even at 1080p. The Ratchet sequels were especially bad. There’d be occasional slideshows and a lot of visual bugs.

I’ve heard there’s been a lot of progress in PSCX2 lately, so especially when paired with a modern CPU maybe now the Ratchets are playable.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I ran PCSX2 on a GTX 680 with a Phenom II X4 with varying levels of success, so yeah. I'm just really impressed seeing the "GPU: 0.8W, CPU: 0.7W" in the top left corner when playing Dark Cloud 2. How far we've come... I wish I could get my desktop to idle that low.

And man, can you imagine if valve releases a Steam Deck 2 with a Zen 4 CPU? PS3 and Switch are still sketchy on the steam deck, depending on the game (some run well), but a Zen 4-powered deck would smash that poo poo.

With mandatory DDR5? 😬 (yeah pricing will eventually be sane)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

the steam deck already uses ddr5

wow, learn something new every day.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any updates on when the Steam OS interface well replace the antiquated big picture mode? (I mean in Windows)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Do people get cramps playing FPSes on this thing? I always get hand/thumb/wrist pain when playing games with a 3D camera on a handheld. The Deck seems better suited for those type of games, but it’s also heavier.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Slanderer posted:

I've been playing Fallout NV on the deck for a week or two with no issues besides regular crashes (which may be the norm for unmodded F:NV lol).

I’ve put hundreds of hours into heavily modded NV over the past few years (one play through was the FO3 port), and had maybe four crashes total. With the work the modding community has put into the game, it’s remarkably stable now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That trademark QoP eloquence