Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Veotax posted:

So how does Proton work? I've never used Linux so I've never looked into it. Would more or less any Windows app be able to run through it?

So in Linux, there is this Windows-compatibility package, and rather long lived project, called Wine. It translates Win32 API calls to stuff Linux understands and allows you to run most Windows software that isn't a DRM-riddled mess. When Vulcan, the graphic API layer, showed up a few years back, Valve worked on a DirectX 12 translation API to convert those calls to Vulcan and they built it on top of Wine. That is Proton. Since Proton is game-tailored, you are better off installing a package like Lutris to install extra Windows software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Mozi posted:

I'm not seeing the expected delivery date anymore on my reservation dealie, anyone else the same?

Nope. Sad to say but you probably lost the train to the Gabe Station. :rip:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

I just realized that this is a PC with a touchscreen and I might be able to play osu on it, cool.

Wait, where did they say this? 'Cause that's a big WANT for me too.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I plan to live inside my Steam Deck, instead (its huge lmao)

Buddy, I have been living half my adult life inside my original Xbox. 20 years. Cheap rent. Enough space for a personal bathroom. How much of an update would the Steam Deck be? I need some IGN coverage videos.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Floob posted:

I am wondering if Everquest will play, or Eve Online.

MMOs generally fall under the "it's DRMed to hell and back and likely will not work". However, it's soon to say if the new Proton that will be unveiled at launch will have the miracle cure to solve all of those issues. Probably not. Single player games, old and new, are probably your best.

Currently, EverQuest does not work. EVE Online used to work fine, but four days ago they released an update that borked the whole thing and currently only works on an older version of Proton.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I sold mine to buy 3 copies of Ravagan, Nimble Pilferer but I make fairly poor decisions in general on these issues

I know the MtG market can be crazy, but you sold a Switch and games for three copies of a MtG card? Yikes.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Is it a WiiU or a Switch?

Neither. It's 50 GameCubes glued together. That's how powerful it is. 50 GameCubes.

https://i.imgur.com/WXlXzVY.mp4

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

That’s what I want. A brick dangling off my gabegear

I'm sorry if I feel nostalgic for the battery pack in my Sega Game Gear and want it back now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

sigher posted:

Just glue it to the back of your Steam Deck like that goon that did it to his 3DS.

Soul Glo posted:

flashing back to the guy who glued game cases to the back of his 3ds and then instantly regretted it, ripped them off, marring his console for all time

Holy gently caress, I sort of remember that! Who was the complete idiot inexperienced modder who did it? I wanna see the photos of that hideous thing again.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh, that idiot!

Turtlicious posted:

How dumb is cutting apart the game cart cases to get those little cart holders out and super gluing them to the back of my nu3dsm, My girlfriend shouted at me "What are you doing!?" over and over then ripped the thing out of my hands getting krazy glue everywhere. was it really that bad of an idea?

Turtlicious posted:

So that cheapo chinese case? I bought one, and it works pretty well but the nubs don't stick out enough for me. Here are some pictures.

Turtlicious posted:

I just thought it was very functional

Turtlicious posted:

So uhhh... Anyone know some good decal girl skins?

e: I'm an idiot, please help me hide my shame.

You couldn't make this poo poo up! I hope they are still out there planning to hot glue weird stuff into the Gabe Gear.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

repiv posted:

Using Vulkan on PC allows for code sharing with Linux/Android/Oculus but those are non-factors

You may have missed the Nintendo Switch on that list, which even includes the Nvidia extensions.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

repiv posted:

Doom Eternal is notable as a game that does use Vulkan on PC, but Panic Button built an NVN backend for the Switch port rather than adapting the existing Vulkan code

That I didn't know. Clearly they managed to milk out more performance from NVN.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

When did Gaben became half Jesus/half Santa Claus anyway? I apparently wasn't paying attention, but I do love the new look.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Other than Cruelty Squad, what is the coolest game done with Godot so far?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh, Luck be a Landlord was a pretty fun game from the Palestinian Aid bundle! And yes, by "coolest" I meant exactly what you posted "good/interesting". Gonna check the other games now, including Precipice (which I apparently own on Steam??).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Good lord, give me anti-glare any day any time. Jesus gently caress the reflections on the top one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

i will eat my own head if the steam deck can run switch games even halfway acceptably

Samopsa posted:

The aya neo has decent performance on certain switch games, the deck is more powerful so I'd think you'll be able to emulate at least some games with acceptable framerates

Someone's going to eat their own head and I'm here to see it streamed live.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ah, take that Nintendo! This is how you do local multiplayer!

You guys, get in! C'mon, we can all fit around this couch!

Wait, where are you going?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I have a bunch of JRPGs and VNs that I just really can't commit to these days sitting on a desk in front of a keyboard. The Deck would be great for those. And whatever else cool indie thing that would play great on mobile.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

There are a good few point and click games that I'd have a mind to play on the Deck, but not sure how much hassle will be involved.

You use ScummVM to play these and they all should work out of the box in Linux. In fact, I think most of the old adventure games that are still being sold digitally come prepacked with ScummVM.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

That's fine for the Lucas stuff, but series like Kyrandia and Space Quest aren't SCUMM based I think. But yeah, ScummVM is great and skips dosbox entirely.

ScummVM hasn't been compatible with only SCUMM games for more than a decade. Look at the list of engines supported, it's absurdly vast.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

How's the suspend mode in this thing? And how does it work when an online connection is not active all the time (desktop Steam is awful about this)?

Like, any handhelds I've ever played games on since the DS era, I keep the same game running for days and just suspend/resume here and there, especially with VNs and JRPGs, and if the Deck can't do this properly then yikes.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's not the size that matters, is what you do with it :eng101:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Lockback posted:

I mean, this doesn't seem that overly conspiratorial

https://twitter.com/timsweeneyepic/status/1490841213347540993

It's a bunch of bullcrap. They not only will not ever put Fortnite on Steam, but they also buy developers like the Rocket League and Fall Guys studios, and then remove their games from Steam, along with the older Unreal games too, because gently caress you that's why.

A 20% of 0 earnings is, I believe, 0. But correct me if I'm wrong Tim Epic. Cut your nose to spite your face.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Anyway, here's an important question for every Deck user: anti-glare screen, worth the additional cost or not?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

TraderStav posted:

This poo poo is legit therapy

Tetris Effect was one of the few things that legit made me consider buying an expensive VR thing. I ended up not to, but for a moment I nearly did. Must be amazing to play it with all the effects, completely immersed.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

This is still way too loving expensive.

Three Etrian Odyssey games for the price of one AAA title? Let's agree to disagree, but I see that price as more than acceptable for the vast amount of gaming hours.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

loquacius posted:

So, I got Mario 64 Plus working on my Deck (which owns)

Was this hard to setup? Really wouldn't mind revisiting Mario 64 in higher res and with good controls.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That seems like a major oversight. If anyone would be into getting a game running into lower-end hardware it would be Minter.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

loquacius posted:

Is Death Stranding an action RPG

I heard it's part of a new genre of videogames: the strand type.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Wow, the little GabeGear that decked the whole competition is one year old now. I hope it continues to gain traction, it's great to have something that plays PC games in a standardized form. All the best parts of console hardware with all the openness of PC stuff.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Anyone tried out any 4x or historical games that play and work well on the Deck?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lol how many accounts does this guy have?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

I can only conclude my body has become Deckified.

I'm sorry, it is terminal.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

barbecue at the folks posted:

Oh my loving god i literally bought the thing yesterday

If it weren't for you we wouldn't get this discount now. I thank you for your sacrifice.

As in, I did it: I finally bought the thing and thank you for the tiny discount, Gaben, it was the final straw. Last year, when it was pre-order-based, I had to cancel it when my time came up. I have been sad since. Not anymore. I deserve to play my library in bed :colbert:

And what ya know, Jet Lancer is finally 60% off and it's Deck verified. Good, good.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 16, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

hadji murad posted:

I want to play the Half-life’s. I assume pick up the Orange Box, but which version of 1. Source?

Black Mesa. :hmmyes:

Don't look elsewhere.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a way to sort my library by date purchased? I just want to see all the stuff I got at this sale. Why is this so hard?

Generally, you can do this from:

Until you reach "view purchase history". No idea how this looks like within the Deck, but there's got to be a similar option to see your account info.

edit: I knew I shouldn't have bothered taking screenshots, got beaten to the reply <:mad:>

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

My friend bought a 512gb steam deck for $1.67. After selling an unusual tf2 hat and walking away with $600 steam bux

Holy gently caress, TF2 hats are still valuable a decade later??

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: ohhhhh my god... This answered my question...

I sing a certain song whenever I take my van out

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I played my switch lite for the first time last night after getting the deck and it feels absolutely tiny compared to the deck.

And that's funny because the Lite is already bigger than the PS Vita (considered "big" at the time) and the RP3+ (considered medium sized among its brethren). It's amazing how our perceptions keep changing from day to day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is Minecraft Java viable on the Deck, or am I best off running a Windows install from an SD card and doing it from there? I remember having an absolute nightmare of a time adding Minecraft to Steam and using Steam Input in the past, but maybe things have changed.

I don't know the answer to this question, but I remember Minecraft Java was discontinued sort of recently? I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the best bet to having a modern Minecraft running on the Deck would be using a Switch emulator.