Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the other reason the vita failed: Vita Ridge Racer was terrible while Ridge Racer PSP was amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the other reason the vita failed: Vita Ridge Racer was terrible while Ridge Racer PSP was amazing

Similarly, the Vita Wipeout, while not terrible, was not as good as the two for PSP.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the PSP was also a huge success for markets which switched a lot to mobile around that time that the Vita released.

The western stuff like Uncharted Vita and MLB The Show Vita is funny because I don't even think that kind of stuff was even popular on the PSP and the PSP was hugely successful anyway. It's funny to see how it turned out as the import/indies platform when you see the alternate launch catalog of trying to make cinematic home console games a mobile thing

The western games were mostly good, at least the 1st party ones. MLB was the exact same game as the ps3 one, Uncharted and Killzone were excellent and Tearaway is still one of the most unique gaming experiences available. If Sony hadn't just immediately dropped all marketing and support then maybe take two doesn't cancel their planned GTA and Bioshock games and it probably wouldve been at least as successful as the PSP.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
oh yeah the Vita was really well supported at launch, though that didn't end up helping it much in the end. it's really funny to compare it to how bad the DS, 3DS and even Switch launch lineups were, considering how many those consoles sold

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

yeah the switch launch only had one of the best games of all time on it

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I'm still mad that there's no save migration, but I'll probably play Monster Hunter: Rise on the Deck.

I forgot about this one! I basically stopped playing on Switch when they passed on cross-save. It might be silly because resources aren't super hard to get in Rise but still feels like wasted effort somehow.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I finally put Android on my spare Switch. It’s not perfect but streaming from my Xbox and GeForce now has given me some idea of what playing in bed on the Deck will be like. It’s going to make the wait until Q2 even harder.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

oh yeah the Vita was really well supported at launch, though that didn't end up helping it much in the end. it's really funny to compare it to how bad the DS, 3DS and even Switch launch lineups were, considering how many those consoles sold

Switch's first year had 2 of the best games ever made

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Switch's first year had 2 of the best games ever made

i get the point and having one major title is a big difference than whatever the gently caress the 3DS launch lineup was, but i think you know what i mean by the amount of games the Switch had at launch

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
quality is better than quantity

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The 3Ds had a terrible launch but Nintendo actually continued to support it unlike Sony.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i dont actually like breath of the wild that much but i think it's kind of a matter of taste if you'd rather have like five or six 8/10 games at launch or one amazing game and a bunch of random junk for a few months

SNES US launch lineup is probably the best mix of quality/quantity ever, Dreamcast, XBOX OG, and weirdly enough, the PS Vita and PSP are probably the best for having like, a variety of good games to tie you over until the big releases start coming

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also i'm kind of undecided if a world exists where the Vita succeeded, this is second hand stuff to an extent but iirc a big problem was that a lot of the markets that made the PSP a success (read: girls) switched hard to mobile phones by the time the Vita launched

that and the 3DS having Monster Hunter

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Random deck related question in case anyone knows...

Is there an easy linux app/wrapper for dosbox that streamlines downloading/playing GOG's DOS titles? I have used dosbox extensively on linux during the glory years of abandonware, but these days I'm a lazy sod and just run the packaged GOG versions. There are a good few point and click games that I'd have a mind to play on the Deck, but not sure how much hassle will be involved.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

FishMcCool posted:

There are a good few point and click games that I'd have a mind to play on the Deck, but not sure how much hassle will be involved.

You use ScummVM to play these and they all should work out of the box in Linux. In fact, I think most of the old adventure games that are still being sold digitally come prepacked with ScummVM.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

We already started seeing toe dips with devices like the aya neo. I think some interest was already spurned on with how much of a success the switch was. People like that functionality, but the switch library has been... something. I know interviews with valve have said they don't really plan to go much beyond the deck and hope that other companies step up to continue the torch while also running steamos 3 on their portables. Moving steamos to be focused on supporting portable hardware is probably the best move compared to their previous attempts where it was just an alternative as a desktop os. That said, I know it did get their feet wet with linux.

the other thing it seems to have going for it is parity with last gen consoles which is already where the graphical/power stagnation has left us kinda paralyzed so apart from an infinite backlog is does seem like the perfect time for something to come in and give devs an excuse to do something other than chase infinitely higher graphical fidelity

What it will necessitate though is some sort of tiered download/packaging system to allow the deck to know to download lower fidelity assets so it can hold more than 5 contemporary releases at a time

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you'd rather have like five or six 8/10 games at launch or one amazing game and a bunch of random junk for a few months

most launches are neither and are just random junk

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Literally no console launch has had six 8/10 games at launch

Feels Villeneuve posted:

SNES US launch lineup is probably the best mix of quality/quantity ever, Dreamcast, XBOX OG, and weirdly enough, the PS Vita and PSP are probably the best for having like, a variety of good games to tie you over until the big releases start coming

I'd like to have whatever you are smoking

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i dont actually like breath of the wild that much but i think it's kind of a matter of taste if you'd rather have like five or six 8/10 games at launch or one amazing game and a bunch of random junk for a few months

I absolutely loved BotW and Odyssey but I think at this point we all have to admit Nintendo was more than content to coast on those and Wii U ports for the entire switch lifecycle.
And hey, that worked out this time because there was a lot of good poo poo on the Wii U that not a lot of people played.

That strategy is not gonna work the next time around, I don't think, so hopefully the figure out how to beef up their throughput.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

most launches are neither and are just random junk

yeah like the PS1/PS2 launches are a whole bunch of games i remember nothing about lol, at least Ridge Racer has an amazing soundtrack. obviously this hardly hurt those consoles one bit.

i still think Dreamcast/XBOX had great lineups. something like XBOX having Halo/PGR/a good THPS2 port is nice because it's at least a good variety of stuff to play, though SNES having SMW/F-Zero/Sim City/Pilotwings is like the king of variety

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Saoshyant posted:

You use ScummVM to play these and they all should work out of the box in Linux. In fact, I think most of the old adventure games that are still being sold digitally come prepacked with ScummVM.

That's fine for the Lucas stuff, but series like Kyrandia and Space Quest aren't SCUMM based I think. But yeah, ScummVM is great and skips dosbox entirely.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

FishMcCool posted:

That's fine for the Lucas stuff, but series like Kyrandia and Space Quest aren't SCUMM based I think. But yeah, ScummVM is great and skips dosbox entirely.

ScummVM hasn't been compatible with only SCUMM games for more than a decade. Look at the list of engines supported, it's absurdly vast.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andrast posted:

Literally no console launch has had six 8/10 games at launch

I'd like to have whatever you are smoking

the closest i can come is the NA Dreamcast launch. NFL2K, NFL Blitz, Soul Caliber 1, Sonic Adventure, Marvel V. Capcom, and uh, take your pick out of some of the more debatable ones like Ready2Rumble or House of the Dead.

i kinda meant more a variety of decent/good games rather than one huge game, shouldn't have specified 8/10

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I absolutely loved BotW and Odyssey but I think at this point we all have to admit Nintendo was more than content to coast on those and Wii U ports for the entire switch lifecycle.

what are you even talking about lol

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Saoshyant posted:

ScummVM hasn't been compatible with only SCUMM games for more than a decade. Look at the list of engines supported, it's absurdly vast.

Woah, that's insane! That's amazing "news" for me. Guess all it'll take is a GOG download to the win drive and then a big old copy paste of the folders to the deck for ScummVM to look into. Thanks!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Stux posted:

Smash, Metroid, ummmmm...? I can't think of any other good games exclusive to the switch.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Stux posted:

Nintendo put out 1 mario game and 1 zelda game at the start of the generation and then relied on 3rd party remakes, remasters, and ports to bolster their library
That's not going to be a viable strategy next gen because the switch has hit such a higher consumer saturation so if they don't find a way to bring in contemporary content or increase their own release cadence they're not going to see the huge sales this gen has produced

And the deck is going to eat into the PC/shared ecosystem so... I think they're going to be in for a rough go for their next console cycle.

S'all I'm saying.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the switch isn't even the first time a great deal of nintendo output for a system has been ports/remakes lol. like every GBA mario game was a port.

also that isn't even a correct statement anyway

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kwolok posted:

Smash, Metroid, ummmmm...? I can't think of any other good games exclusive to the switch.

Smash was a Bandai/Sora Ltd. production and Metroid MercurySteam, so those are nintendo published but contract games

Those are much less lucrative arrangements for a publisher than if they were entirely in-house.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nintendo put out 1 mario game and 1 zelda game at the start of the generation and then relied on 3rd party remakes, remasters, and ports to bolster their library
That's not going to be a viable strategy next gen because the switch has hit such a higher consumer saturation so if they don't find a way to bring in contemporary content or increase their own release cadence they're not going to see the huge sales this gen has produced

And the deck is going to eat into the PC/shared ecosystem so... I think they're going to be in for a rough go for their next console cycle.

S'all I'm saying.

lmao if you think the steam deck is a threat to nintendo

also the switch has tons of amazing games

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Andrast posted:

lmao if you think the steam deck is a threat to nintendo

also the switch has tons of amazing games

I know it's tempting and easy to forget the Wii U ever existed but that was only 10 years ago and was so dire they had to drown it in a bathtub just 5 years after release
Nintendo is capable of mistakes and not having enough content is definitely one of the ones they've made super recently

e:
That is to say, part of what kept the switch booming is it being this generation's indie machine
SteamDeck can easily supplant that market by playing the games better and steam sales generally being better than nintendo
and the whole open hardware ecosystem

All I'm saying is Nintendo probably has trouble on the horizon if SteamDeck isn't a total disaster

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 30, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Splatoon 2 is pretty great and available on nothing else. Both single/multi player modes are great and provide a different kind of entertainment.

Speaking of Splatoon, that makes me think of the gyro controls. I've become a massive fan since Splatoon on WiiU, and have used the Steam Controller to add them to a few games since. If the deck uses the same controller configuration for its controls, it'll be pretty neat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I know it's tempting and easy to forget the Wii U ever existed but that was only 10 years ago and was so dire they had to drown it in a bathtub just 5 years after release
Nintendo is capable of mistakes and not having enough content is definitely one of the ones they've made super recently

Not having enough good nintendo games was not the problem with the Wii U (nor is it a problem on the Switch)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it isn't a mystery why the switch succeeded and the wiiU failed hard and it doesn't have much to do with the amount of first party games on them

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The switch has a lot of great games a lot of them just don’t run that well.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 30, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it isn't a mystery why the switch succeeded and the wiiU failed hard and it doesn't have much to do with the amount of first party games on them

I mean it's entirely anecdotal I know but I had disposable income and have owned every other Nintendo console (either family-owned or my own when I came of money-having-age) (including multiple gameboys, DSs, Switches, etc) and it hardly crossed my mind to buy a Wii U

I might've bought it if BotW was exclusive but eh :shrug:

MarcusSA posted:

The switch has a lot of great games a lot of them must don’t run that well.

Comes back to this. Portable [instert game here]? Sure I'll go for that at full nintendo price.
Portable [insert game here] that doesn't run like poo poo and is already in my steam library?
Uh-oh, Nintendo's already falling profits

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I mean it's entirely anecdotal I know but I had disposable income and have owned every other Nintendo console (either family-owned or my own when I came of money-having-age) (including multiple gameboys, DSs, Switches, etc) and it hardly crossed my mind to buy a Wii U

I might've bought it if BotW was exclusive but eh :shrug:

because apart from Nintendo games, there was little reason to buy one besides it being a new console, the main gimmick had little appeal, and it was poorly marketed. they did a ton of stuff explaining the cool stuff you could do with a second controller screen but nothing about it sold people the platform, and the fact that they had to really try to sell people on the second screen is good evidence of what the problem was.

remember the five minute trailer for the Switch that dropped before the original announcement? in five minutes everyone knew what the gimmick of the switch was, how it worked, why it was useful, and if they wanted it. the gimmick is so self-explanatory and so appealing that there was zero need to define poo poo like "asymmetric multiplayer" for a general audience. that's why the switch was a big hit.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

S'all I'm saying.

are you high it has probably the best representation of their IPs + third party exclusives of any of their consoles ever lmao genuinely do not even understnadn what you are talking about

animal crossing nh
arms
astral chain
bayonetta 3
bowsers fury
deadly premonition 2
fire emblem three houses
golf story
hyrule warriors
kirby and the forgotten land
botw 2
mario and rabbids 1 and 2
mario golf super rush
mario tennis aces
metroid dread
metroid prime 4
pokemon snap 2
no more heroes 3
paper mario origami king
pikmin 4
pokemon swoshi
pokemon legends arceus
rune factory 5
shin megami tensei 5
splatoon 2
splatoon 3
super mario maker 2
super mario party
super smash bros ultimate
triangle strategy
warioware get it together
xenoblade chronicles 2
yoshis crafted world

genuinely what is missing here. kid icarus i guess?? lol its fine to not care about the games but the claim it only has wiiu ports and remasters, is simply objectively incorrec tnand i must surmise you have at some point smashed your head into a hard object and blanked out on the last few years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Comes back to this. Portable [instert game here]? Sure I'll go for that at full nintendo price.
Portable [insert game here] that doesn't run like poo poo and is already in my steam library?
Uh-oh, Nintendo's already falling profits

the majority of people buy switches because they want to play Mario Kart and Pokemon. the fact that it can kind of run Witcher 3 portably is part of the appeal, but not a major one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

are you high it has probably the best representation of their IPs + third party exclusives of any of their consoles ever lmao genuinely do not even understnadn what you are talking about

animal crossing nh
arms
astral chain
bayonetta 3
bowsers fury
deadly premonition 2
fire emblem three houses
golf story
hyrule warriors
kirby and the forgotten land
botw 2
mario and rabbids 1 and 2
mario golf super rush
mario tennis aces
metroid dread
metroid prime 4
pokemon snap 2
no more heroes 3
paper mario origami king
pikmin 4
pokemon swoshi
pokemon legends arceus
rune factory 5
shin megami tensei 5
splatoon 2
splatoon 3
super mario maker 2
super mario party
super smash bros ultimate
triangle strategy
warioware get it together
xenoblade chronicles 2
yoshis crafted world

genuinely what is missing here. kid icarus i guess?? lol its fine to not care about the games but the claim it only has wiiu ports and remasters, is simply objectively incorrec tnand i must surmise you have at some point smashed your head into a hard object and blanked out on the last few years.

You missed Mario Kart which is another big party game.