Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Biggest problem I've had with the emudeck setup is that I'm an idiot who dumped the No-Intro GB/GBC/GBA/NES/SNES/N64/GEN/GG sets in and it predictably created 12,000 games and because it's a ROM set there are 20 versions of certain games and the game list doesn't keep that name.

This is entirely my fault. I wonder if there's a way to have it just boot the emulator with a file list, akin to starting a console with a flash cart. More stuff to read.

sigher posted:

Yesterday was my Steam Account Birthday! It just turned 19. And according to this site my account's "value" is $13,000~... god drat.

https://steamid.pro/

Also it breaks down the platform you've spent playing on. I have 6,784 hours on Windows and 220 hours on Linux, crazy to think I already put that much time into gaming on Linux.
:haw:

April 25, 2009 was my account date; I suspect this was right around one of the really big Orange Box sales. TF2 was a lot of fun back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Retro emulation should not have any additional input lag over anything else running on the deck. Not sure how it might work with additional filters or plugins or whatever, but iirc the biggest factor in input lag is the display.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
depending on how much you want to dip your toes into desktop mode, it's all that and more

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Gay Retard posted:

Does the Steam Deck support FreeSync? I have a 1440p/144hz FreeSync display, so the official Steam dock does seems like a decent upgrade compared to my $50 Jsaux dock (only supports 1440p/75hz). I can always use an extra 45w USB C charge around the house for laptops/iPads/Switches.

Steam Deck 2 with external Thunderbolt4/USB4 eGPU support would be pretty slick. Dual microSD cards and an OLED screen would be nice, too.

under the 'tech specs'

quote:

External displays

DisplayPort 1.4
HDMI 2.0
MST (Multi-Stream Transport) enabling multi-monitor support
Supports up to 4k 60hz, or 1440p 120hz
FreeSync support

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The small file is a .desktop shortcut; it worked fine for me saving it to the Desktop folder, it turns into a desktop icon you can click on.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

sigher posted:

Threw a bad Gang Tag together:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
SRM seemed to close Steam automatically for me when I ran it. The mouse change caught me off guard.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/mplblm/status/1578875902637006849

:pusheen:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Two things that I ran into so far after purging and reinstalling EmuDeck in an attempt to make things cleaner/not poo poo:

ES's scraper updates the game name for everything using the US name, so my list is full of several indistinguishable repeats of certain titles that got multiple releases. There doesn't seem to be a way to fix this (just show me the filename somewhere!) either. Is there a quick way to delete/reset all of the scraped crud?

RetroArch also seems to have gotten RetroAchievements turned on, so every time I open a game I get a popup about how it's missing a username/password. I tried turning off achievements in RA, but when I go to save I get some error about permission denied.

I'm not sure what I'm missing and video-only guides are a massive loving pain to deal with

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Zamujasa posted:

RetroArch also seems to have gotten RetroAchievements turned on, so every time I open a game I get a popup about how it's missing a username/password. I tried turning off achievements in RA, but when I go to save I get some error about permission denied.

Apparently the solution was to close the content/emulated game first and then make the relevant settings changes and save, which. I don't really understand why, but sure.

Now to figure out the "50 copies of the same game" problem. Having the art and information is nice, but not being able to tell them apart...

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Coolness Averted posted:

Since I've seen it mentioned a few times how do you do the 40 fps cap? The only performance options I see in the deck's profile allows for 30, 60, or uncapped. I've been playing at 60 and absolutely don't think I'd notice the difference between 40 and 60

the three-dot button lets you change the refresh rate from 60 down to 40hz, and the framerate cap slider will adjust accordingly (so the max is 40, not 60)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Kin posted:

Do you have to install any of the other emulators first before installing EmuDeck? I only briefly messed around in desktop mode and saw a bunch of them in the dolphin installer app or whatever it's called.

Also, how the hell do I more easily use the desktop mode? The trsckpad isn't exactly great for it as I can't figure out how to scroll things up or down like a mouse wheel.

There are controller setups you can use and install from Steam for desktop mode. For whatever reason mine defaulted to a really lovely half-baked one where most stuff wasn't mapped, and there was a default one that set up the left trackpad as a scroll wheel (among other improvements).

The menu was kind of wonky, though. Might be better now

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

fadam posted:

I’ve watched dozens of hours of my girlfriend’s favourite reality shows while navigating monkeys to goals.

Fall Out is a fun game :v:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The ext4 filesystem that the Deck uses preallocates metadata (inode tables), so with the default inode ratio you do lose quite a bit of space.

Usually I use an inode ratio of 1M and it works fine with much less lost space. Which reminds me I should manually format my 1 TB SD card when it comes to do that.

Note that you can run into a very Fun situation where everything will tell you your disk is full even when you can look at it and see "Free space: literally over half the drive"; if you're going to be shrinking the inode space, just make sure you're aware that you can still run out of space if you fill your filesystem with a ton of tiny files everywhere.

E: You probably won't run into this, but it's worth being aware of because it's a real headscratcher if you're not aware of the other limits.

This feels wrong.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

hannibal posted:

Go into Steam Rom Manager (relaunch Emudeck, click Tools), shut off everything except Emulation Station. Emulation Station is the thing you're looking for.

yeah this. tick the top "Parsers" option so it turns everything off, then turn on only emulationstation and/or emulators (if you intend on using the other emulators). doing it for a bunch of ROMs is a huge mistake because it will also generate "Friendly" names for them which are a. sometimes wrong and b. completely indistinguishable between versions

ask me about ending up with 10+ copies of Link's Awakening DX in the list and having no way to differentiate them at all

sigher posted:

So when you've loaded up a game in RetroArch bring up the Quick Menu and go back until you get to RetroArch's main menu, then Settings/On-Screen Display/On-Screen Overlay and set it to off. Then go back to the Quick Menu and set up all of your Shaders and save them, then find (I don't have it open right now) the "Overrides" menu on the Quick menu and save all 3 settings in there. That's been my go to for keeping the stupid bezels off and the shaders saved.

emudeck's new "custom" setup as a bunch of options for enabling/disabling bezels, aspect ratios, etc. and only leaves one icon on the desktop now (for itself) rather than several. once it's installed/updated, open it again and there should be a button at the bottom for options

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Mescal posted:

it doesn't seem like it wants to let me add a delay or other options to a subcommand

edit: oh drat, i can't even test if it works without the T fire start delay--it needs another command to move the mouse pointer down and to the right a few pixels. or right click, down arrow, T. this is to 'open in new tab' in chrome. probably an easier way to do it

i'm not entirely sure what you're trying here, but if you're just trying to open a new tab, would ctrl + t not work, rather than trying to mess with the mouse and keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Heran Bago posted:

Oh gently caress I started playing Noita and I'm in love.

The font is a bit too small but there's a ini file that can change the scale of it.

noita on deck (or with a controller in general) seems impossible and i'm not sure how people do it. i'm bad enough at that game with k+m