Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If you have played literally any handheld console you shouldn’t be shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think the buffer was probably only for the first day as bots aren’t gonna do much now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean the Index is a much more niche product than this is suppose to be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What does support the hardware mean like revisions or system updates.

Because if it’s hardware revision most users aren’t going to care about that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

wow is it already time for the thread to eat itself

Nah this is Styx’s gimmick

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah a studio apartment tends to hover around 600 ft.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Stux posted:

do the goalposts also hover or are they on wheels

What goalposts this is my first post on the subject

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

convincing people that $300 and 25 sq ft of dedicated space for VR is not a horrible insurmountable obstacle for a demographic of people that read a gaming forum thread about totally superfluous devices that cost hundreds of dollars

in the specific context of talking about using said superfluous device to power said VR headset to maybe provide a better framerate, based on hypothetical performance numbers specc'd from various press releases

some people seem more concerned with flaunting their True Leftist creds than being open to the idea that VR is both more accessible and more fun than it was a decade ago

now you're caught up, tell me about your football avatar as it relates to goalposts?

people telling me American apartments are fuckin huge is hilarious when I spent years doing HARDCORE GAMING in a 595 sq ft 1-bedroom with one other adult human and two cats. Our kitchen was 20 square feet of usable space, and we were paying the equivalent of $1900/mo in 2021 dollars

the US is huge and cheap, if you get out of the desirable cities where most people want to live!!

What leftists credits what the hell are you on about

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Demanding 3D game is fairly vague.

It could mean anything

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah the fact you could nuke the OS for windows was one of the first things brought up, it’s definitely seen as a selling point.

Probably the correct decision unless you just really like Linux

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think it’s to be expected. If they want it to be accessible they shouldn’t get to hung up on 60/30 as most don’t care.

As long as it’s consistent most won’t even notice

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean at the very least we will get a ton more hands on as we get closer to December

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean people shouldn’t be suprised it changed, day one shipping estimates rarely are

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The steam controller seems to be a person loves or hates it kind of thing. Which the deck will probably be as well

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean you probably aren’t going to get that kind of look until a couple weeks before launch

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

you know what would play switch games for less than the cost of a steam deck?

I mean depending on the game not much better

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

which switch games work best on your steam deck, in your experience?

That was a joke about the switches lovely performance.

So you don’t need to get defensive or you can get even more defensive I guess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Who said it would

Is this goon makes up poster to get mad at

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Witcher 3 is a switch game. And one that runs pretty well

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BoldFace posted:

Have there been reports of someone installing Windows on these early devices yet?

I mean if the early releases are dev kits for proton users I doubt it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

can’t believe it didn’t hit 60fps in cyberpunk on high settings. Cancelling my preorder

If it can run it on medium like that I would be pretty impressed

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

Most of the first party stuff runs pretty great in my experience. I’m not trying to play Doom Eternal or Witcher 3 on switch though. I understand emulation has a LOT of overhead in terms of spec requirements. My gut feeling is that you won’t be playing switch games on a steam deck. I can’t imagine even like gamecube games would be great on it, and I know dolphin rules.

Ironically Witcher 3 runs better than a lot of other titles.

Kind of looks like rear end but still

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

FBS posted:

Boy Kotaku sure has the "outrage for clicks" thing figured out.

I mean getting a recent release to run on an emulator is a feat and newsworthy.

Even if it’s you know just the switch

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That’s what most people should do unless your one of those people who love having multiple games installed at once.

Which even with how big games are now can put you at three and that is a large amount

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

tbf if you have three games installed that max out the Deck, one of them is probably a GAAS game like Destiny 2 or an MMO like FF14 and you're just gonna be playing those forever

if you play indie games though, you'll be fine. I've got 38 games installed and 20-some demos installed and my steamapps folder is 140GB.

Well yeah but people cry they won’t be able to install multiple AAA titles which you don’t really need

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel like this is the most amount of work Valvhas put into a product in a while

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah I think they are just be cautious which is IMO the correct way to do it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah a lot of stuff is getting delayed. Like the Switch had to drop production a well

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Andrast posted:

low budget jrpgs are the best

Also persona is way more popular than the other titles so the Vita getting that is way more important than any of the others combined

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I wish this thread didn’t become switch vs whatever. The switch is a Nintendo machine, so it will always just do whatever it does.with no real effect in anything else

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I didn't even mean for it to be that. I am sorry for suggesting a competitor succeeding and creating a PC platform might mean losing market share for Nintendo I like them both I will own both

I am sorry Mr. Miyamoto

I mean more were people turn into validating whichever one they prefer like it matters.

No matter where it starts that’s always where it ends

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dramicus posted:

The steam deck is going to be great at emulation, but expecting it to emulate current or even last gen consoles is a big ask. It very well might be able to handle everything up to PS3 and WiiU but expecting anything beyond that is unrealistic. A lot of the third-party switch games also have PC versions, and there are some WiiU versions of big current-gen titles like BOTW that might work.

You can get a pretty good idea of the kind of emulation performance the Deck will have by looking at ETA Prime's youtube channel. He benchmarks a lot of systems that fit into the same general power bracket.

To be fair we are talking about the switch which I don’t even think qualifies as last gen

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The switch store has almost as much garbage on it as Steam, that's why Valve knew they had to make a handheld

The switch also has console garbage level store interface making it a hybrid model

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m not sure why you think it’s special that people don’t know the button layouts. People only know the button layouts for console systems if they generationally consistent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

homeless snail posted:

There's a picture of it on the website they typed their credit card number into.

Yes that’s how you purchase most consoles

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m confused why everyone is treating 30 FPS and mid settings as a bad thing

That’s literally all I want

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wait till I tell you about the big 3

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Kinda cooling off just thinking I could hold my laptop up to my face instead

How small is your laptop

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The true Switch experience is playing between 15 and 24 frames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean the switch doesn’t even compete with the other consoles, outside fans going full console warriors