Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Starting a new job next week that will require upwards of 20 days travel a year. Not entirely sure how much it will be in reality, but if I were I probably would have picked up a Deck during the last sale. It doesn't seem like the most powerful offering out there, but with Valve saying it will be at least another two years before a new one arrives it seems like a fairly safe bet? I don't really play a whole lot of demanding AAA games, even after building a new pc for the first time in eons back in May.

Hopefully there will be another sale around Black Friday or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

You'll be good. There are more powerful options for handheld PCs out there, but with how popular the Steam Deck is, many devs are targeting Steam Deck. It doesn't seem like a Steam Deck 2 will be coming til maybe 2025.

Yeah exactly. Also I stand by the Steam Controller and the only way to experience the Steam Controller 2 is to get the Steam Deck. :negative:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Bumhead posted:

The Steam Deck is my only computer and gaming device, too.

Sometimes I play it handheld, sometimes I stick it on the dock that’s got a monitor, mouse and keyboard plugged in and ready to go. Because of the types of games I play, just about everything works perfectly in both modes with whisper quiet performance and good battery life.

I absolutely love it. It’s genuinely the culmination of everything I’ve wanted from gaming hardware for years.

The fans are one thing I am concerned about. It seems like it is still random if you will get an awful fan that is super loud or one that is reasonably quiet. Or has that changed with later revisions?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Badly Jester posted:

I think the actual volume is mostly the same, but the bad fan has more of a high-pitched whine to it, which is what makes it more annoying. I know that they added some foam bits to the case to mitigate the problem, but I don't know how much of a difference that really makes. I know people with the "bad" fan who don't really mind it. Depends on how susceptible you are to being annoyed to that specific sound range, I guess.

Installing a better fan really isn't difficult though, provided it's in stock long enough for you to order it (sold on ifixit).

I used to almost exclusively play games via Geforce NOW (Nvidia's cloud streaming thing) for almost two years. The only thing I miss about it is the total absence of noise and heat while gaming. But it seems like the refreshed version that ships now has a different fan. iFixit sells it as well but I would assume it is the same one that comes pre-installed? I am unsure since I recall people mentioning at least two different fans early on where one was worse than the other. Probably not a huge deal either way, especially since it is replaceable. And to my knowledge tinkering with the internals does not void the warranty? (Provided you don't break things)

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Nice. Glad I didn't buy one during the last sale. I'll definitely consider one now.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Cronodoculous posted:

Bought my deck two weeks ago and was worried the whole time that there would be a sale right after… Permanently knocking $200 off the price wasn’t even a scenario I’d considered. I have a support ticket open to hopefully recoup something but man, this kinda hurts.

I saw someone on r/SteamDeck receive the option of either being given the difference in price back or a full on refund so that they could buy the OLED version instead. So hopefully you can get that sorted.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Annath posted:

Yeah. I'm picking up a couple of bonuses from work that will also help offset the cost.

I'm probably just going to buy the 512 OLED version and swap in my existing 2TB SSD, then sell my LCD deck with the 512GB SSD in it (which will ironically bring it back to its original factory spec :v:)

Although the 512GB OLED doesn't have the etched screen... Will I notice the difference not having it, but playing on an OLED vs LCD?

Everywhere I'm looking the consensus appears to be that the etched screen is worse? Dave2D also did a comparison showing that the screen loses vibrancy but you can get some of it back by putting on a glossy screen protector it seems. But it feels really stupid that you have to counteract the main feature of the glass itself that you are paying extra for. I am tempted by the 1TB one due to the larger storage and the nicer case. But paying extra for a less vibrant screen seems like a bit of a bummer. I know I can get a 512gb one and upgrade it myself and all but I would prefer to just have the storage I want out of the box.

I've seen similar comparisons with matte vs glossy PC monitors and the difference in vibrancy is huge. So it is a bit of an odd choice to go through all this effort to put in an OLED screen, only to gimp it with an anti glare etching. But maybe I am overestimating the impact in reality. I've never even seen a Steam Deck in person to begin with.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 10, 2023

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Annath posted:

If it looks worse, then that seals the deal for me. I'll get the 512.

Swapping the drive is dead simple, and I can install a pair of hall effect sticks at the same time.

I installed those in my existing Deck, but that was when they required soldering so I can't just swap those.

I am just parroting some info I found elsewhere so don't take my word for it. I'm sure we'll see proper comparisons soon either way. But in Dave2D's video it did look noticeably better when he attached the glossy screen protector on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FKJODmcdiM&t=202s

I would put one of those on regardless so might not matter for me but still worth keeping in mind.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

GTO posted:

No idea about the OLED but for me on the non etched glass LCD one a matte screen protector makes an incredible positive difference when playing anywhere that could see sunlight on the screen eg public transport. Like, can easily see the screen vs can only see the sun or your own reflection and thus can't use it.

Yeah I suspect it doesn't matter too much in reality. If you want the glossy screen you can just take off the protector in your case. If I were to want the glossy screen (with a hypothetical 1TB OLED) I would just slap a glass screen protector on it and it should be quite similar in the end. So it is probably not worth overthinking.

Regardless, I'll probably pick one up in December assuming supplies last. I'm in no rush and I am curious to see if the initial batch may reveal some manufacturing wrinkles once they are out in the wild. Should be fewer issues since it is a refresh and all but still you never know.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Putting a glossy protector on top of a matte screen is psychotic and does nothing about the anti glare treatment continuing to scatter light while also adding obnoxious reflections on top of it.

While I am very careful with my stuff, I would still like to put a screen protector on it for peace of mind. So unless there are matte ones it will happen regardless. And I do find it odd that it seemingly makes such a difference since it sounds counter intuitive. And I know the example used isn't a pure black but at least on camera it seems like the colors pop a bit more. But to be honest, I kinda like the "satin"-looking appearance of the etched screen.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Vegetable posted:

They also said no new model just months ago and now this. They’ll say anything to close a sale.

They were pretty clever in the wording to make it clear that a refresh isn't off the table iirc. Just that a "Steam Deck 2" isn't happening any time soon.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Well, the good thing about the steam deck is the repairability at least. A few years down the line, you can just get a new screen if the burn in is bad I suppose. The price doesn't seem to be that egregious for the original LCD replacements but who knows about the OLED ones.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Rolo posted:

This really impressed me. The first thing I got for my OG was a slimmer case and they’re like “oh we see that’s a concern, let’s make a cool-rear end case for everyone.”

*Who buys the 1TB version. (As far as I can see anyway) Would be cool if they sold it separately or something.

Cronodoculous posted:

What a difference three days makes, I guess.

:negative:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The etched vs glossy debate is so last week. The new controversy just dropped.

Sounds like they will have two suppliers for the OLED panels. Samsung and BOE (which apparently made the original screens?). I am no display expert but I would think that Samsung is generally at the top when it comes to display manufacturing. So it is a bit of a bummer if you end up with the other one. Especially if they have different long term life spans and so on. But we'll see how it pans out. I'm definitely holding off on buying one if they are using two suppliers.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out now that it is going to be in the wild soon. (In terms of QC issues etc) I am slightly jealous but I think I can hold out until December at least. Provided that the whole two screen suppliers thing turns out to be a non-issue and not a case of good/bad screen lottery.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Blotto_Otter posted:

any idea if the battery will be easier to replace on the new OLED model? The ifixit guide for a battery repalcement on the old LCD model has me dreading the day the battery craps out on my original LCD model, and while I'm reading that the new version is supposed to be easier to repair, I've yet to see if the battery is still glued down and hard to get to

iirc I saw in some review (forget which one) that they are using less glue now so it should be easier to remove.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

Well this is exceeding expectations quite a bit.

You don't happen to live in Valve's basement. Do you?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

So I'm selling my Switch today at last (Bought in 2018) and I'm thinking of a Steam Deck Oled again. Even though I probably shouldn't. I do have an upcoming work trip and all that so that is why I am tempted again. I'm just wondering how bad the "mura" effect is on the oled. It seems very odd that the oled screen can't seem to handle dark scenes without going super grainy? Was it just early units or still a thing?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve never noticed this. The oled screen is great.

I guess it can vary a lot and they have released software fixes that mitigate the issue somewhat. I'm just always over-analyzing things I am considering getting. I'm trying to stop but it is hard. :negative:
If I do get one then I'll just return it if it sucks so no big deal anyway.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Echoing that my OLED screen (purchased two months ago) is pristine in dark scenes. If there ever was a problem it seems to have been solved.

I have a bunch of traveling to do this year so.. gently caress it. I bought the 1TB OLED. :toot: We'll see how it goes considering how picky I can be.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Squiggle posted:

There's no graininess whatsoever.

Good to hear. Now I just gotta hope it shows up before my work trip that may happen on the 29th or so. :f5:

Edit:

By the way is it possible to stream your pc to your deck when outside of the same network? I would suspect it is but question is how awful it is. I used to play shooters and whatnot no problem via Geforce Now for years while I had a mediocre gaming laptop. Obviously not expecting it to be as good as that but still curious. I might just buy a day pass of GFN as needed if I am on a short work trip or similar.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 20, 2024

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Voodoo Cafe posted:

Yes, it works just fine, latency permitting. There are a few ways but the one i use is Moonlight (on the Deck side) and Sunshine (on my PC). I use a Wireguard VPN via TunnelDeck so i can talk to my home network from anywhere, but i think most others probably use Tailscale or use Moonlight's own helper tool

Ah cool. I'll definitely give that a look once I get my deck. Thanks!

I'm also wondering how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to apply a dbrand skin. Looking at their instructional video it doesn't seem too bad but these things always look easy in the videos and then you are tearing your hair out because it won't work out the way it should. Also they are very expensive.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Every device skin ever created is an exercise in pain and frustration to apply, it’s just part of the process.

Those who know better use a hairdryer to soften it up and get it into place, and those who know even better than that just don’t bother in the first place because life is stressful enough.

Hah yeah that sounds about right. I wanted it just for some extra protection without going for a full case, but the skins don't actually protect the back side of the grips, which would be the main part I want to actually cover. With it being the parts you touch the most and the most likely to rest on various surfaces. Given how repairable the steam deck is I guess it is easier to just.. get a new back/front plate if needed as they get scuffed over time since they don't seem to cost a lot. :shrug:

Edit:

I guess you won't be replacing the front without a full disassembly but that is less likely to wear anyways.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 21, 2024

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Going off on a work trip on Sunday evening until Tuesday evening. My Steam Deck order is quite close in a neighboring country last time the status updated yesterday. I REALLY hope it makes it here by tomorrow. :f5:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I am extremely interested in knowing how well the gyro in the Legion Go controllers work for things like Wii and Switch emulation or as general mouse input.

Also I finally tried Spelunky 2 on the Deck and I can't believe it took me this long, it's a perfect Deck game, perfectly crisp and smooth and the one more try factor is absolutely elevated by being portable.

The vertical mouse thing the Legion has going on seems like a neat party trick. But I wonder how well it works in practice.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The Steam Deck hath arrived. :toot:

I have smelled the exhaust fumes.

Time to get it setup before my trip on Sunday.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Which Deck did you get? :)

I got the OLED 1TB since it seems to be a little more travel focused with the removable inner case and matte screen. And since I definitely want this for travel I figured why not.

Played through Aperture desk job and it was great. The screen is fantastic. Super nice first impression of the device as a whole. It is somehow both bigger and smaller than I anticipated.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

What is the lil pouch for that is stuffed into the groove thing at the bottom of the case? I haven't tried but maybe you can stuff the charger or something into it?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Squiggle posted:

The charger, which I desperately wish had folding prongs.

And good lord you do not need 2tb of SSD on this thing, 1tb and a 512gb SD card has been more than twice what I've ever needed which at one point that included Red Dead Redemption 2 and Elden Ring and since nobody could possibly play games differently than me I'm going to say that's 100% correct

I don't even think folding prongs are allowed in the EU. Never seen it on anything ever where I live at least.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Are there any recommended discord clients for the deck? I looked on the discover store thing and all of them seem to suck judging by reviews. Would be neat to have discord on this thing.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Squiggle posted:

The official client? Comes in a tar though.

Edit: oh, it's actually in Discover, just do that. It works fine.

Oh it is? I saw multiple ones and seemed like neither were official.

Tenkaris posted:

You can install it and add it as a non steam app, and run it in the background but it's not really a seamless experience to jump between discord and your game.

There's a decky plugin that lets discord see and display what game you're playing, which it otherwise won't do.

Though to be fair decky has been a wreck for me recently, maybe because I'm on the beta client or something, but it keeps breaking so right now I have no plugins installed because I got tired of getting a parade of error messages for every single plugin

I havent checked out anything like decky yet. Plan was to keep it stock while I get acquainted. But I can check that out later on.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

alexandriao posted:

The official client is good but you might want to look into Vencord/Vesktop.

Default discord client does not have an implementation of their audio backend for Linux, which results in you being able to stream applications over Discord calls, but not the application audio (so like e.g. when streaming a game it means they don't get to hear your game).

Vesktop solves this problem discretely, also has themeing options and Plugins.

Do you just get the official client from their website or via the discover thing? The most rated discord client in the discover app just seems to have some generic icon as opposed to the discord logo and it says "unknown publisher/developer" or something.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

So.. my picky-ness got the better of me and I returned my Steam Deck after having it for a weekend. :negative: Lovely device but the left trackpad's haptics were kinda hosed and while I did try and put up with it, it put me off using it. I loved the Steam Controller so turning off the haptics was a no-go for me. I looked around and it seems like others have experienced the same problem and while you could open it up and gently caress with the track pads, I am not about to do that on a brand new device I paid 680€ for.

A friend of mine bought the standard OLED model just after me and says he has no such problems so I am wondering if I can be arsed rolling the die on the QC lottery again when my refund comes through. Since I really did enjoy using it if it wasn't for the haptics being borked. Basically, the right trackpad produced smooth thocking sounds while the left one made a terrible crunchy and scratchy racket, while also being more powerful in general. (Tweaking the intensity of the haptics etc did not help)

Boar It fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 4, 2024

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

You should have just RMA'd it. Feels like there are a ton of different issues people have had with their decks in general though. I RMA'd my first one but the OLED has been good so far thankfully.

You mean sent it in for repairs? I figured there was no point in doing that when I can just get a refund and buy another new unit. Not sure if this applies to everyone from Valve's side but at least where I live, I get 14 days open box return no questions asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I'll probably roll the die and buy another one even though my next upcoming trip is months away at this point. It surely can't go worse than my Nintendo Switch ownership..

First Switch had dust stuck under the screen out of the box, had a 30 day open box return at the retailer so I got another one. After a few months I read about how some Nintendo Switch units bend over time and sure enough, mine was banana shaped when I tried to lay it flat on my desk. :psyduck: Nintendo ended up replacing it with a new base unit (i.e. the console itself) and that is the one I had until I sold it two weeks ago.

Also, as an added bonus when I got my second Switch and I was walking home, I slipped on some jagged ice and somehow cut my hand on it. I managed to keep the Switch from hitting the ground at least. :v: