Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Gabe did say the price was painful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I don't think they do expect other hardware. The Deck is more for devs.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The switch has like a 7 year old Tegra in it. The deck is running on the newest AMD architecture and there's a chip shortage. They are definitely losing money on these right now and probably for a couple years.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Isn't the point of the deck that it's way more powerful than the switch and can do the prettier games natively instead of streamed?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

But if you want the pared down experince then just buy a switch, they are much cheaper

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

150 if you go for the lite

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

$300 if you get a 3ds.

Glancing at ebay, it looks like the 3ds costs more than a switch lite

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Realistically how many games do you really need at one time on a device that gets 2 hours of battery life?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

repiv posted:

5400RPM drives can be surprisingly speedy at higher capacities (higher platter density = more data read per rotation), the 12TB one they tested gets 194MB/sec sequential read

I just tested a decent SD card I had handy (Sandisk Ultra 64GB UHS-I) through a USB3 adapter and only got half that

Yeah that's why i reserved the 512 because I know I'm gonna want to play Total War Warhammer on it.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Lmao if you think the deck will power a headset at anything nearing a playable framerate. Have fun puking!

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

BexGu posted:

Since SteamOS is the other half of this handheld equation how is it right now? If you threw it on a machine would it play a majority of games without any problems?

https://www.protondb.com/

Looks like just about anything most people would want to play is running fine

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Im hoping ff14 will run on it

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The proton db thing says it's gold rated so that's good news

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

repiv posted:

That's a new one to me. Looks like a weird proprietary thing Samsung made up and never really went anywhere. The Deck certainly won't support it.

Why did they invent super fast flash storage and only limit it to their absolutely terrible laptops and never do anything else with it again? Infuriating.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The game that needs ssd the most is any Total War

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

I noticed a huge difference in the time it takes for Windows to boot and be ready to use after switching from HDD to NVME, but honestly the load time savings on games haven't been huge, IMO. I'll be interested in seeing how the Deck runs off of SD, but honestly I highly doubt my small Steam library will fill the drive on the Deck anyways.

Load times in Total War Warhammer go from like 3 minutes per battle on HDD to 10 seconds on SSD. It's very noticeable in that game.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The Vita probably showed a lot of companies what was possible with handhelds too, Sony just shot themselves in the foot with it with pointless stuff like the 3g model and the super expensive proprietary memory cards

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

They canceled all the ones in development because it didn't sell like gangbusters out the gate, because of the other issues I mentioned. There were big plans by a lot of studios for it but Sony fumbled so bad with those drat memory cards.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

There were no western games on it beyond the launch lineup and Killzone a year later. Sony immediately dropped it when it didn't move like 10 million units in the first 2 months.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Golden was pretty close to release wasn't it?

Also the Vita was quite successful in Japan. Western 3rd parties were scared off of it by Sony's total lack of support.

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 30, 2022

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the PSP was also a huge success for markets which switched a lot to mobile around that time that the Vita released.

The western stuff like Uncharted Vita and MLB The Show Vita is funny because I don't even think that kind of stuff was even popular on the PSP and the PSP was hugely successful anyway. It's funny to see how it turned out as the import/indies platform when you see the alternate launch catalog of trying to make cinematic home console games a mobile thing

The western games were mostly good, at least the 1st party ones. MLB was the exact same game as the ps3 one, Uncharted and Killzone were excellent and Tearaway is still one of the most unique gaming experiences available. If Sony hadn't just immediately dropped all marketing and support then maybe take two doesn't cancel their planned GTA and Bioshock games and it probably wouldve been at least as successful as the PSP.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

oh yeah the Vita was really well supported at launch, though that didn't end up helping it much in the end. it's really funny to compare it to how bad the DS, 3DS and even Switch launch lineups were, considering how many those consoles sold

Switch's first year had 2 of the best games ever made

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The 3Ds had a terrible launch but Nintendo actually continued to support it unlike Sony.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I know it's tempting and easy to forget the Wii U ever existed but that was only 10 years ago and was so dire they had to drown it in a bathtub just 5 years after release
Nintendo is capable of mistakes and not having enough content is definitely one of the ones they've made super recently

e:
That is to say, part of what kept the switch booming is it being this generation's indie machine
SteamDeck can easily supplant that market by playing the games better and steam sales generally being better than nintendo
and the whole open hardware ecosystem

All I'm saying is Nintendo probably has trouble on the horizon if SteamDeck isn't a total disaster

Every Nintendo console has had a 5 year life cycle, they didn't drown it in a bathtub. They supported it with great software for all 5 years, it just didn't sell that well.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

sigher posted:

The Virtual Boy would like to have a word with you.

So, how about that Steam Deck boys? Forgot I waltzed into the Switch thread.

I will let you know when I get mine sometime this summer

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

If storage wasn't such a premium on the deck i would probably rip all my switch carts and just run yuzu on the deck.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The deck has blast processing, it won't be an issue

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

How much of a difference does read speed make for emulation anyhow? Presumably, Switch would top out at around microsd read speeds since it can use that as primary storage so emulation shouldn't need to read faster than that right?
So you should be able to run those off of fast microsd cards

I mean I'm getting a 1tb sd card but it will more than likely be filled with PC games.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Switch emulation is already running well on flagship smartphones, pretty sure the deck is beefy enough to handle 720p switch emulation. It's not like the switch has some crazy architecture, it was literally built with left over Nvidia smartphone parts that didn't sell well.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

homeless snail posted:

If by "already running well" you mean running BOTW at like 10fps.

Must be on a game by game thing because I saw a video of it running dread at 60fps on a galaxy fold

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The United States posted:

Well yeah, the early 3DS style GPD Win models predate the Switch itself

The later more Switch-like GPD Win models and Aya Neos and such came after

That top one looks horrendous to play on

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The deck has a similar layout but the stick isnt recessed, did they even playtest that design before locking it in?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The deck has the sticks in line with the dpad and face buttons though, wheras the switch is offset which is a much better setup but then there would be no touchpads.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The switch store has almost as much garbage on it as Steam, that's why Valve knew they had to make a handheld

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Wait what? No, offset is not inherently better, why would you think so?

Reaching across the face buttons to use the stick causes unwanted inputs

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The sticks are pretty tall, not seeing it being a problem in this case

You're gonna love that melting B button

I still think having the sticks in line with the dpad and face buttons is a far inferior design to having the dpad and face buttons be offset from the sticks. Offset sticks and inline sticks make zero difference though, I actually prefer the PS layout to the xbox one.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Im guessing the heel of my hand is gonna hit that b button a lot

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The heel of your hand is going to be well below it. You aren't gripping that thing up high and sticking your thumb out sideways.

You telling me how to hold my Deck?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Dramicus posted:

As far as I know, the Deck's USB C is standard (the Switch has a non-standard usb-c port), meaning it should charge from any USB charger. So you could replace the charger with your own, just remember that it draws more power than most chargers put out so you should use it with a 60 watt charger if you want to charge while playing. If you just want it to charge overnight, then pretty much any charger should do.

The switch charges fine with my phone charger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Dramicus posted:

You are fortunate, because the switch's usb-c does not comply with standards and it has been known to get bricked by other non-compliant USB-C devices and cables.

You're thinking of sketchy 3rd party docks, which I dunno why anyone buys because the official Nintendo one isn't even that expensive