Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Dave Matthews Big Fan! posted:

a year ago I would've thought this was stupid as hell but with pc parts being miserabe to buy atm and remote work making me want to not spend any more time in front of my work pc than I have to, I'm actually super into this lol. I shelled out for the 512, hope the premium screen is nice

Extremely in the same boat. I want this because parting out a new gaming rig is insane right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I paid for mine but haven't gotten a shipping notice email yet. Those of you who got yours already, how quick was the turnaround on it?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

PowerBeard posted:

Yeah, it's about 3 days to process the payment and the a day to get shipping sorted. From there you're on your own, pray you don't get a lovely delivery company.

Good to know. Fingers crossed. I'll be watching my emails and front door like a hawk.

Now that I've gotten the payment done it's starting to feel real and I'm paying closer attention to what games are fit for steam deck.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 10, 2022

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Still waiting on shipping details but payment went through right away last week. I'm probably going to give myself a conniption fit refreshing emails for confirmation on shipping and all that, but I live on a rough block and will need to schedule a day off for the delivery or it will get stolen.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Right as I posted about it here I got shipping details sent my way. Now to keep waiting.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Dramicus posted:

I've got ~1000-ish games installed on my desktop

Holy poo poo how do you not have one hell of a time picking through what to play?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Just got a notice that the label on mine was unreadable and got remade while being shipped. I'm already assuming that means it's been stolen and replaced with 4lbs of rocks.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Mine arrived while I was sleeping this morning. Delivery didn't even wake up my dog! Glad it didn't grow wings while I slept.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Rinkles posted:

Anyone disappointed in their purchase after spending some time with it?

I'm a little disappointed that I had to turn on dev tools to be able to download games on a 5ghz wifi connection. I don't get why it wouldn't work right out the gate on any wifi, but it's a new console and all so I guess there'll be bugs.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I got the bigass one because that one felt like the "full version" of the deck and all the other ones are varying degrees of pared down from that. Granted it also was the most expensive one, which is also something to consider. Dollar for dollar what I got from the steam deck is still better than a $700 laptop or desktop, though.

Also can confirm, elden ring runs just fine on it.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I wish the steam dock would be purchasable already so I can bin my switch.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

v1ld posted:

Any decent USB-C hub with HDMI out will work. Pick the one that seems the most comfortable to use for your set up.

The Switch's USB C implementation had some quirks that prevented it from working with standard hubs. The Deck ShouldJustWork(tm).

That is good to know!

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I know I said it a few pages back, but the label on mine had to get replaced at a regional hub and that's when I spent a few days hoping I wasn't getting 4lbs of rocks because that's exactly where you'd steal something and replace it if you were inclined to do so.

I imagine "porch pirates" are the greater risk once it gets on the delivery truck. Motherfuckers will straight up follow delivery trucks and either wait for them to leave and go for packages themselves or call a buddy to go get it while they keep trailing the truck. Especially if you live in an area with a lot of meth-heads, that seems to be their game.

On topic with the thread:
I tried an un-optimized game on my deck that needed a keyboard and it would let me type but not delete anything.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 19, 2022

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I live in an area that says less than a week according to that map, and it still took a week to arrive.

Has anyone added a micro SD card to their deck yet? I have plenty of space after loading the games I want to play for now but I'm eyeing some incoming AAA titles with pretty bulky data specs.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Protip: some games you'll want to click on the gear, scroll down to compatibility and select force steam deck compatibility then click proton experimental. Stardew Valley, of all games, was super laggy and that fixed it.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Good catch I'm trying that out now.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Is deckless like being maidenless?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Not that anyone asked but I fixed my Stardew Valley stutter by limiting FPS to 30. Switching to Linux or the proton versions didn't affect it much.
I get the sense that might be the fix for a few other stuttering issues.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Deck charger cord is longer than my phone charger. I'm able to play on my couch with it plugged in. Maybe you have less outlets or something?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

evilmiera posted:

So after this many pages, what's the general consensus on the Deck? Is it worth the wait?

If the deck had arrived before I needed to replace my laptop I probably wouldn't have got the laptop, even if the new laptop blows it out of the water hardware-wise, I do so much gaming on the deck now.

I think I'll get my money's worth out of it easily.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I forget if it's been said already but what kind of playtime are folks getting on their decks? I get 3~4hrs between charges and that seems kinda low to me. I know if I adjust screen brightness and such I can boost that.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I have like 12 games on my deck. I feel like if I have much more than that installed on any platform my indecisiveness takes over and I'm scrolling back and forth between options instead of playing.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
After a bunch of troubleshooting I had to go into the settings to turn off the fan update because not only did it make it quieter, it couldn't handle fucken Stardew Valley without heating up like a BBQ grill because the update made the fan simply stop moving hard enough to cool it off.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Stux posted:

its called "steam dreck" for a reason

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jealous yours hasn't arrived yet?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Atomizer posted:

I absolutely can't play the Switch (or any similar handheld like the Aya Neo or GPD Win) without grips; it's clearly made for tiny kid hands. I personally prefer the Skull & Co GripCase but the Satisfye is also good. The Hori Split Pad is what you were referring to in the first quote, and the Fixture S1 (or this much cheaper alternative) are other variations.

The fact that the Deck is bulkier *because it has built in grips* is an advantage. There's no need to add anything on, and it comes with a case.

Same, I really didn't give my switch time of day until I got a pro controller to hook up to it, whereas with the deck it feels right from the get go.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

jokes posted:

What’s your vibe with its performance on the Deck, Is it well-made?

My left trigger and bumper buttons are a little offset from the device compared to the right side and the trigger makes a noise sometimes along with feeling it rub against something makes me think it's not aligned right for performing smooth button presses. I don't think that was from manufacturing, I think that might have been from it being jostled around by the notoriously gentle and careful package handlers and drivers of FedEx but it's playable if annoying whenever I notice it. Not so much that I'd deal with the hassle and time of sending it in for repair.

Overall I think it's a well made machine. It doesn't fit every game I have but the ones that are verified run well on it. I think the issues I was mentioning upthread with the extremely undemanding game Stardew Valley may have been it needing more shaders being made by players and/or tweaking with the settings for it. I feel like since I've gotten the deck, the shaders have actually improved game performance and not just been an annoying daily+ series of downloads.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Cloudpunk plays so well on my deck but holy poo poo does it kill the battery.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Glad to hear it wasn't just me. Quite the drop in battery life compared to everything else I've been playing on it.

JazzFlight posted:

I limited Cloudpunk to 40 fps and I don’t think the battery drain was that bad. Maybe try adjusting some quality settings too?

I'll have to try this.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
No man's sky took a lot of reconfiguring to get the controls just right but it is great on the deck.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

MarcusSA posted:

Really? I haven’t had any issues with the default ones. It seems to work exactly like it should.

Yeah the default controls for it just didn't feel right to me and I've been playing on controller + PC, too.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Subjunctive posted:

People who have Decks: how is the battery drain when sleeping? One thing I don’t like about my Switch (maybe the only thing other than lack of Bluetooth audio) is that after a few days of sleeping the battery is dead or nearly so.

It's great when I need to set the deck down to do something that might take more than a minute so I don't burn a ghost into the screen but also not every game is cool with sleep being used as a pause button.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Animal posted:

POST YOUR TOP 3 FAVORITE GAMES TO PLAY ON THE STEAM DECK

Elden ring, Stardew valley, and hyper light drifter

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Mine was knocked over and fell maybe two feet onto the ground, while zipped up in the case, by my cat and the right side popped open along the seam but not far enough to eject anything. It still runs and afaik nothing broke. I dunno if I want to put in a return ticket.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Luckily unharmed by the steam deck.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

forest spirit posted:

there should be a thread poll on how much use anyone's deck gets, because I either hear people love them for planes or they don't touch them after the initial setup and new toy factor

I'm not using it as much as when I first got it but I'm still playing on it at least two or three evening sessions a week.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Snackmar posted:

Say, I just noticed something - the new case I got with my replacement Steam Deck has white zippers, where the original ones were definitely black. Not sure if it signifies a replacement unit or just supplier variation

(Edit: I have a 512GB unit)

Mine came in that same case when I got it a few months back, so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Dang no gyro because some of y'all got shakey alcoholic hands or something?