Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

repiv posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but with Air Link being as good as it is there isn't much point doing a wired connection

Because cool kids have indexes :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Soul Glo posted:

I wonder where Steam thinks it's going to make up the loss in the pricing. They don't have a subscription service like GamePass or even PSN or Xbox Live to get users to make up the difference in the long run. Just about everyone buying this thing already has a deep Steam library, so I would assume the increased software sales won't make a huge contribution to their coffers.

Maybe they just believe they can sell it for a profit later on or that iterative models will be profitable and they want to push handheld computers into the mainstream so they can collect later?

The loss they make now can turn into crazy profits later because Steam = $$$$$ so every dollar they can spend to even get someone LOOKING in that direction is good for them because they are where you buy games on PC. They aren't even a little threatened by Epic based on how they handle themselves, they are by Microsoft (or were) and the Deck is probably just someone going "hey PC people are buying the Switch why don't we sell them something else instead of a Nintendo?"
The reason Valve can do this very classic investment strategy is because they are privately held. Long ago this is what companies did all the time, invest in the long term. Now however everyone is desperate for short term gains because of the way stock and CEO and shareholder poo poo works so nobody invests for the long term anymore. Valve doesn't have to justify it's actions to anyone but themselves. It's why Half-Life Alyx absolutely lost a gently caress ton of money on paper but Valve doesn't give a poo poo because they wanted to make it, maybe sell some Indexes or just push VR forward in the direction they think it should. Like they've done with shooters and digital store fronts already.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Can you imagine Microsoft making something like the Steam Deck?

The Game Gear but with the TV tuner built right in!!!!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Realistically how many games do you really need at one time on a device that gets 2 hours of battery life?

I'm not buying the nintendo and you can't make me

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

LordAdakos posted:

I don't know about this. On one hand, it looks super loving cool. On the other, steam has kind of a shoddy track record with hardware. Steam controller was fairly meh imho, steam link was also fairly meh, and they ended up dumping stock for a buck each, and wasn't there a steam box that was a rebranded lovely computer?

Software wise, still waiting for half life episode 3. I know this is a joke by now but steam and google seem to have a lot in common when it comes to customer service.... They both don't give a poo poo. Google kills products left and right, steam/valve just can't seem to finish a trilogy or have long term support for their IPs that don't involve some gimmick (Half Life Alyx anyone??)

I'll give it a year or two or three and then I'll look into it when it's a more mature system.... Or maybe I'll pick one up for a buck when they move onto the next big thing.

Your ignoring both the Index and Half-Life Alyx. I get that you're biased, we all are, but your also being super old-man typical.
Valve is Valve but saying VR is a gimmick is the biggest tell cause you're straight up incorrect, sorry. Alyx is fantastic, VR is real and here forever. Maybe the Deck will suck and burn, so be it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

VR is a gimmick that will never succeed until it comes in the box of a new console

Unfortunately for all of us that's called the Oculus Quest.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Point is VR isn't a gimmick anymore, it's niche and the barrier to entry is very low, $300 bucks for a Quest 2. This sucks extra huge privacy-invading nuts, but VR is real, and my friend. Since I'd rather not Facebook I don't, and instead have the ultra-niche Valve Index which is a lovely bit of hardware I use daily to play cool VR games and hang out with other friends across the world who also have VR headsets.
Likewise the Steam Deck is facing similar pushback from people, and it's interesting to see the overlap. Someone ran in here and went "LOL VALVE TIME", their full-blown Half-Life game that was released last year to universal critical acclaim is brought up, the word 'gimmick' was used, etc etc.
It would be nice if it wasn't always the same tired jokes, lukewarm takes, if there was something new to be said. Instead it's the same old man duffy luddite types that are so angry there is a new way to play games now.

The Index is great and easily proves that Valve can do hardware since the Index itself is the best VR hardware you can buy. It's exceptionally nice in ways that aren't that super important on paper (the audio is :discourse: ). It seems to me they can do it again with the Steam Deck and I'm looking forward to seeing how it's built, if it feels like I hope it does in my hands like the Index knuckles do. If I actually will use it in a way that I can imagine I would, namely playing really crunchy PC-only management games like Rimworld or Song of Syx on my couch. I was never ever going to buy a Switch because that doesn't cater to me, but hey this Deck might.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You don't need an amazingly powerful GPU for VR, I'm running on a GTX 1060 and it handles the video output just fine, plus asynchronous space warp on Oculus patches over any frame drops, so I would honestly expect the Deck to be able to run VR. USB-C will power a number of current headsets, but lord knows what that will drop the battery life to. The Quest 2 will be the best bet there, as it can use its own battery for power and also connect wirelessly.

To hook up the Index I'd need a dock of some kind for the Steam Deck, so I'd have some hosed up grouping of the Deck, a dock, and a portable battery to run it all. :negative:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Blade Runner posted:

https://www.nyrentownsell.com/blog/what-is-a-common-size-for-a-two-bedroom-in-new-york-city/

???

It's hardly like scientific statistics but I dunno where you're getting your info anyway

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-rent-market-trends/us/ny/manhattan/

Even at the high end current square footage is 700, unless you're going off stuff from several years ago before square footages shrank across the board

The average apartment size in loving Hong Kong is about 500 feet and that's the lowest in the world as far as I know, so even at your estimate it's not half

You aren't having a debate :ssh:

The other 'person' you are responding to exists just to make people roll their eyes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Blade Runner posted:

To be on topic instead of the dumb tertiary conversation, I don't think it'll be very easy to play VR games directly off of the deck without severely turning down the super sampling, but it'd be extremely neat to see

More likely I think is Valve using this as a stepping stone to push forward into standalone stuff, which people have been clamoring for for ages

I'd be stoked if I could get wireless on the Index. I understand why that isn't *easy* because of the amount of data flying down the pipe, but it is the very obvious drawback and the one thing I'm jealous of with my wife and her Quest. The idea of stepping past that with the Steam Deck is tantalizing but yeah it just because a backpack PC with all the poo poo I'd have to get to make it possible.

Stux posted:

do the goalposts also hover or are they on wheels

I dunno do you ever actually talk like a human and not like reddit?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Kirios posted:

But... Why not just get a Switch at that point?

Because they would probably also want to play a whole bunch of other PC games ez pz.
The Switch forces you to go through the gatekeeper that is Nintendo. If you don't care much about first party Nintendo stuff then why get a Switch?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Steam Deck Deposit is #2 on the Top Sellers list behind the Index. I know this is done on dollar amount, so considering the deposit is $5 bucks vs. the Index's $999 seems like quite a few of the Steam Decks have been reserved.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I don't give a poo poo about Linux at all, just let me play the games - me and a vast majority of people

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Heran Bago posted:

Is there an official source that says you can install Windows on the thing though? I'm sure it will happen, but it'd be nice if the bootloader and BIOS just let you out of the box vs some hacky setup.

The announcement itself? :confused:

It's all over everything talking about the device, the store page, Gabe himself, interviews about it, the coverage, twitter. It's super prominent, so much so that I'm weirded out someone would miss it if they know what "Steam Deck" is.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

repiv posted:

I do wonder what proportion of people will end up installing Windows on this thing, after they first hit a wall with Proton compatability and need to become a Linux janitor to work around it.

Valve really really wants Linux to be a thing but good luck getting the average Joe to care about your vendetta against Microsoft when they just want their gaems to work.

Good luck getting the average Joe to install windows on a handheld. That street goes both ways in knowledge and laziness.
I myself will have to hit probably a couple walls before I sigh and draw my katana SD card.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This goes for game performance too. I expect windows to be a resource hog on this thing compared to SteamOS.

Not having to go through Proton and having 'native' running games can help performance vs. the overhead required by Proton. Windows might require more resources, but does that take more or less shoving Windows games through Proton?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I think it might just be PC people looking at "their" handheld. With the PC more = better, and that's no different with storage.
Like range anxiety but instead of electric cars it's digital storage.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Chas McGill posted:

I wonder how quick the WiFi is. If it's reasonable then I don't think it'll be an issue just to download stuff as needed.

Wifi is always far faster than your actual internet connection. Unless you're talking about having them downloaded locally somehow and plucking them of your own network as needed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I think I'm going to very much enjoy the Deck specifically playing PC-heavy games like weirdo indie strategy and management games.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Stux posted:

dont see how posting facts is a troll

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

extremely low effort troll. you can do better than this

Here I'll try with the same amount of effort:

Nintendo is for babies, Genesis rules

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I got this email and went "heh, yeah"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Obviously the deck is a failure wrap it up Valveailures

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Yeah everything is pushed back at least 2 months

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Hello I like my PC and don't console at all. I don't have a PlayStation or xBone or Switch or anything. I want to play PC games on a little handheld thing, I also like the idea of it also being an entire PC that can browse the internet and have things installed to it like a PC. Like it's my own machine I can do what I want with.

I really, truly don't think Valve or Nintendo give a hot balls what the other is doing. I think Epic is much more interested in the Deck, and Microsoft.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what if you need to hit a really uncommon button like "A" and not one of the multiple back triggers

It's a PC you can make any of the buttons do whatever you want

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yes. Playing video games is for the weak, the real connoisseur understands the thrill of spending hours fine tuning settings and mods and then playing for like thirty minutes tops.

:hmmyes:

It's a PC with controller parts and I'm going to use it as such. Weirdo PC indie games, deep crunchy strategy games, whatever PC work I gotta do when out and about, going to own.

Wonder what modded Skyrim will be like

Feels Villeneuve posted:

me: what if i could use the face buttons
thread: that's too hard. have you tried rebinding face buttons to triggers for some ungodly reason

I haven't used a Deck yet, and neither have you. Unless there's a bunch of people out there that have used the Deck bitching about ergonomics then I think you're probably just projecting. Or maybe you've cracked the case on the failure of the Deck, we'll find out!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'm going to play games on the Deck and nobody is going to stop me

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The Deck's whole deal is it's a PC, which you can get to run whatever you want. That includes PC games of which it has been designed for, but also MS PowerPoint or whatever media player or AdBlock or horny VNs made by perverts. I'm not surprised people are wondering if it too could emulate the Switch because now they don't have to carry around a Switch as well. The Switch is a closed, not-meant-to-be-opened system.

"Just buy a switch lmao" doesn't really work because if it did, they'd already have one. People have their reasons.

Me, I don't have a switch because I am an adult :smugdog:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think it's a good answer to someone who wants to play games, for the Nintendo Switch

Not if that's secondary to what they want to do, which is play a bunch of their already-owned indie games.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

homeless snail posted:

If you're too much of an adult to buy a Switch, I think that perhaps you're too much of an adult, to want to play Switch games.

Good thing I don't want to run Switch games. I'm simply trying to illustrate why someone would want to play Switch games without having to have Switch hardware. It might be a fools errand sure, but a Deck with maybe-Switch is different than a Deck and also Switch or just a Switch.

People have their reasons, and they are usually quite reasonable. Their expectations might not be though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Curious to see real-world performance of the Deck with more AAA games 'cause the rumored Deckard could be cool as poo poo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
If anyone has seen people talk about how it sucks to hold that have actually held it then by all means :justpost:

Picture of the Deck is posted -> arm chair goonlords make xbox huge jokes -> actual people with the Deck in their hands go "oh this is actually nice" -> cycle repeats.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m getting it to play games

I'm going to do it, I'm going to play games on the Steam Deck

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

It is a PC, straight up. It isn't a console, it isn't a switch it isn't a closed system. It's a wide open bit of hardware, with a completely optional OS based on Linux it comes with. Output to a 4k monitor it doesn't give a poo poo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

homeless snail posted:

While true, I think it would be Insanely Dumb to wipe SteamOS from and make it a primarily Windows machine, because while its not a closed system, it is a system that's increasingly clearly designed to be the native experience of the Steam Deck. In a way that you're, not gonna get the same experience running the Windows version of Steam on it.

Oh I'm personally going to use it as is out of the box, it's staying factory for me. I do, however, insanely appreciate that I could put Windows on it if I'd like. Of course it will be a worse experience, that's not what it was designed for. But I COULD.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm in the same boat as the person above- it looks real neat, but since I didn't preorder it and I doubt Valve's going to support it for 5+ years, I'm just probably never going to be able to get my hands on one. Have fun those of you who do though!

They've supported the Index this whole time, can't see why they wouldn't support this that's going to sell a ton more.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Chas McGill posted:

If proton is good I'd seriously consider switching from Windows on my desktop as well.

Quite sure this is the dark horse desire of Valve, specifically. Get people used to not-windows so the term 'not windows' doesn't scare them away. They've been publicly at that for a while now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The United States posted:

We're just using different definitions then. Valve is absolutely trying to compete with Nintendo, and I say that an ineffectual attempt at competition is still competition.

Why does everyone keep saying this though? Valve says they aren't, the system itself isn't, their markets are different, their companies are different, their software is different, their stores are different and their approaches to hardware are wildly different. I myself don't have a Switch and I don't want a Switch. I'm in for the big Deck (heh) because I want to play PC games around my house, maybe have a neat laptop replacement for the sort of things I need a computer for (online poo poo only not trying to work through a tiny-rear end phone).

Really the only similarity is you hold both of them in your hands to interact with them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Wonder if that's a demo unit, those saw a lot of action from lots of people.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Gabe's switch is bad, rip everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I've got an ancient 360 controller that I still use and that bastard is without drift.

My Index controller though did after a couple years, looks like Valve did it again!!