Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So a few more confirmations recently. Battleye and EAC will be compatible on it day 1 so that many shooters will be playable online. Also discord will be available day 1 without installing a new OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Can't really take it as a given with how those cheat prevention tools are installed though. They are having to work directly with Valve to make it work on their OS.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

Running locked down Proton containers for games that use anti-cheat is fine and expected. It's not like I'm going to want to choose the kernel and software components that don't have all the optimizations and compatibility fixes I want and for anyone who is buying the thing to just play games it won't matter at all. For the paranoid few who don't trust the changes they can sacrifice compatibility for perceived security if they wish.

Look, I don't know enough about this stuff to confidently say anything, but there were headline stories about how the Deck might not be able to play X, Y, Z because of issues with anti-cheat software and later it was headline news that they were collaborating to make sure it works with Proton day 1. I'm not sure if we should have been confident that it was guaranteed or what but the news cycle seems to indicate that it requires at least some considerable effort to get it working.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I was tempted but I have no idea how good the screen is. If it's great I will change my mind.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Would something like a second port be a late addition or is something of that would be unlikely to change from now until release? I feel like once they released specs and external hardware details that’s it more or less but maybe other devices have made changes like this before release?

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 18, 2021

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Here's another question, for streaming services like Netflix and Amazon, will this device be able to stream to a television in 4k?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Weird question but what is stopping any manufacturer who has made a more condensed version of their game for switch from offering on Steam a condensed version for the Deck? So like Doom or Outer Worlds or any other game, why not take the Doom from Switch and modify it a bit and release it for Deck? Is this an insane amount of work to change a switch game to a Deck game? Is it easier to just start from scratch or just ask people to download the full game and lower specs than do a Deck edition?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

One funny thing is I am looking at steam and other game sales a lot differently now. Picking up ultra cheap games from now until January or February is like a preload.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Senator Drinksalot posted:

But if you want the pared down experince then just buy a switch, they are much cheaper

I get what you're saying, but I mean if file size becomes a serious concern, publishers can release a Deck edition along with a Switch, Xbox, PS5 and PC edition. So I mean starting with the Switch version just turn on Antialiasing, increase graphics a bit and then launch that for Deck. I'm stupidly assuming it's that easy, but it probably isn't.

At the very least a lot of games like Mr. Shifty, Outer Worlds and many many others would look and play great on a Deck but don't play well on Switch, without needing to change anything graphically from the versions.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

I have choice anxiety on my desktop and I want it in my hands too tyvm

And also some games just naturally stay around because they are competitive multiplayer games. For a lot of people DotA will never leave the system, nor will a Stardew Valley or similarly popular title. I will never delete Splatoon or Animal Crossing from my Switch.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Rudager posted:

There's no way Valve will let there be Deck versions of games, it completely undermines the whole principal of the thing being something portable you can get the "full" PC gaming experience on.

That's true, maybe it's just a matter of removing high end graphics like was discussed earlier to keep file size down and otherwise remove parts that no one would install.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

December 2021 gang gang

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It is quite big though, isn't it

It'll probably be nice for kicking back and relaxing in a recliner, for car rides, that kind of thing. Doesn't seem like something you can easily carry with you as you're out and about, though.

No one takes their switch out so that's not an issue really :p

The way people actually take their handhelds out is basically specific to normal people who are vaguely embarrassed of being seen with it or nervous of it being stolen. People will use them in controlled situations most often, or planes etc. where you're sitting and the size won't matter.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know if I've ever had more than a terrabyte of PC games installed at any one time, and I have Flight Simulator installed with mods.

Ideally, companies release 720p-optimized texture packs or something so you don't have to install 50GB of textures meant for 4K with every game. And Valve does whatever they need to do to support this in an intuitive manner. (The HD Texture Pack DLC some games have is kinda clunky)

On an actual PC it will make more of a difference because the types of games stored will probably be different as well. I have Dead by daylight, rocket league, cod, battlefield, rainbow, etc. All multiplayer games that adds up. I doubt I will have that same kind of lineup on this device so it won't be as much of a space taker. I get a feeling that will be pretty common.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 24, 2021

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Folks that have one-- what kind of shipping did they send? I didn't see anything about it during checkout.

I am stoked!

The shipping was like, overnight for me. Although I sold my steamdecks because people were offering too much money for these silly things to not take up.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

DoubleT2172 posted:

It's going to be hard not to do this when I can basically double my cost even after fees. Can you reorder a deck after receiving your first?

Not sure. Someone in a local group gave me 2000 for the 256 edition.. dudes loaded though. I've never been an advocate of reselling or scalping, and I sold to someone I know, but making 1200-1500 dollars in a minute is too enticing in these times.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

sigher posted:

You managed to get multiple?

Yea my sibling got one and I got one. They weren't sure if they wanted to keep it but ultimately sold when people offered us crazy money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Tbh I'd expect Nintendo to do something completely different before doing a stronger Switch.

Nintendo doesn't want to do anything so I imagine we have at least 2 more years of milking the Switch at least before they announce very minor upgrades