Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I finally got Midnight Suns working without crashes on the Deck and it's basically a perfect game for it. Wish they'd hurry up with an official patch though

The deciding factor seems to have been Cryobyte33's memory management scripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

Sounds like they used Cryobite33’s memory management scripts

Yeah, those scripts (on DirectX 11) seem to have fixed Midnight Suns. I'm also using the latest GE Proton but I don't know how much difference it makes.

E: followed this guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od9_a1QQQns

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 1, 2023

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I wish PS Plus streaming worked just a tiiiiny bit better than it does on the Deck. It's like 95% there but annoying little things make it suboptimal.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Minotaurus Rex posted:

So I’m looking for something affordable that’ll tax the graphics card to try to ascertain whether it’ll crash under pressure, to see if I’ve inflicted water damage on my deck in the incident I mention earlier in the thread, and whether I try to should RMA it or not. There’s not a great deal that’s cheap on offer so soon after the recent sale, would Trine 4 be suitable to test the GPU in this way?

Wouldn't water damage be an either/or thing rather than something that'd only appear when you're pushing the hardware?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Atomizer posted:

I mean, the joke was a continuation of what the other guy implied, in that the Drecks should all benchmark nearly identically (assuming they're left at the same configurable performance level) but beyond that it would be interesting to know the actual variation between a large sample of stock devices. Probably within a few percentage points at most.

You were so close to "Raspberry PauPiper" (or "PiPauper" if you prefer. :shrug:)

Why do you call it the Dreck?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

That's actually really good VA for a fan mod

the lowest possible bar to clear

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

it is cringe though

it's like calling Trump Drumpf or something. Boomer humor.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Is there a way to set the Deck to automatically connect to Bluetooth headphones? I have to manually reconnect every time it wakes from sleep.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Aardvark Barber posted:

I went a bit overboard last night. Looks like I am set for 2023.

Only a coward would skip Final Fantasy XI.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Nice. Please let me/us know how you get it working lol.
I'm still trying to get Sonic 2 Forever or w/e working too.

I know Valve are Linux fans, but it is still kind of weird how they went with Linux and not Windows or something for this.

I imagine they weren't eager to pay for a Windows license for each Deck

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Was a bit sad that Hifi Buzz was running so badly, then I remembered I'd set the TDP way down. Turned it off and ahhhh smooth 60.

Game rocks.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man DS games work really well on this thing. Am playing Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and you can switch view to the second screen with R2 and use all the touch screen gimmicks perfectly. Feels great to play.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The real pro move is to play the romhacks that remove the touch controls

But I love that goofy DS era stuff! Plus it's nice to actually use the Deck's touchscreen for once.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's kinda sad that despite the gigantic amount of work that went into Black Mesa's Xen levels, they're far worse than the original Xen.

It's now like a third of the game, is ugly as sin, and kills the pacing dead.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Why do the touchpad mouse controls stop working in desktop mode when the Deck is offline?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vic posted:

They don't. Did you close Steam by accident?

I just tested it a bit more.

If you switch to desktop mode while the Deck is offline you can't use the mouse touchpad controls, connecting to Wifi instantly turns it back on.

Just researched it and it seems like a pretty common complaint.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dammit Jeff Minter's awesome new shooter Akka Arrh doesn't render properly on the Deck...

Wahhh I wanna play this on the go.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

At the moment it's outright unplayable as the play surface renders as a flat white space. Tried a few Proton versions and it's the same issue.

It actually took me about five minutes of trying to figure out what was going on and thinking I was just misunderstanding things before I checked some footage on YouTube.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 22, 2023

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Idk if they have a deck but Minter is, extremely on twitter, so tweet at him about it.

Llamasoft seem aware of the problem and are trying to fix it (https://retroresolve.com/akka-arrh-on-steam-deck-wheres-our-review/) so hopefully a patch is incoming.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Can you use the Deck's gyros to rock BB to sleep?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love Dead Cells on the Deck but whenever I suspend and resume the audio massively desyncs - anyone know how to fix it?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gotta say, as a games reviewer this thing makes my life a dream. Put in an hour or two on my now very underused gaming PC to see it with all the graphical bells and whistles then it's 100% Deck and I can put in way more hours before the deadline.

My girlfriend is also happy because I can chill on the sofa with her while she's watching Netflix.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a list somewhere of what emulated ps3 games work well on deck? I might be on a quest to have every Katamari game playable on one device

Considering the newest iteration is on steam and the older ones are either PS2/PSP/Vita, the only potential outlier is the PS3 one.

E: forgot about the 360 version. Dammit!

Can't really speak to too many games, but the MGS HD Collection worked near-perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hnhis6FM5s&t=81s

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Harlock posted:

MGS4 used to be the emulation problem child but PS3 emulation has come a long way.

The Deck can even make a decent stab at MGS4, though it's not perfect. Maybe in a year or so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNk_cSGFw3Y

Edit: I think there's a way to map the Deck's back buttons to be .50 and .25 pressure PS2 buttons but I haven't tried it myself.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 28, 2023

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I picked my Switch back up for the first time in months for Metroid Prime and after like an hour of handheld mode my wrists were hurting. They didn't do that before when playing the Switch.

I can only conclude my body has become Deckified.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm sort of regretting getting the 512 model. I only ever play one game at a time and uninstall when I hit the credits so I probably could have managed with a smaller one.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SavageMessiah posted:

Gah, just got mine on thursday and the left trackpad has already stopped working completely. It's not really stopping me from playing most things but it's pretty frustrating to have something break so quickly. I opened a ticket with steam support hopefully there's some sort of fix that doesn't involve RMA.

Really basic and dumb question, but is the Deck currently online? Those trackpads can act weirdly or disable when you're offline.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just an FYI that if you start The Last of Us on Deck right now there's a pretty much mandatory 3+ hour shader compilation.

You can skip it, but you're looking at 10-minute load times every few minutes. Played the very first interactive sequence on the default graphics settings it booted with and it ran somewhere between 20-30fps, and that's in a static environment with one character and no enemies.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It's runs badly on PC as well. Just skip it entirely currently.

I'm writing a tech analysis article on it so going to play through it a little. So far it's juuuuust about playable on Deck, though I'm going to let the shader comp finish and see how it handles the more intensive later intro scenes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

3 hour shader comp on a machine with 2 hour battery life lmao

Lazy devs

You'd think at least on Deck they could have precompiled the shaders before launch. Anyhows the comp drained my battery in about an hour so will have to try again later.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Played the first few chapters of The Last of Us on Deck, mainly sticking to the preset Deck settings but with a 30fps cap. Once the shaders have compiled it works pretty well, though there are quite long loads between major areas.

Expect a locked 30 indoors and then somewhere between 23-30 in larger outdoor areas . Places with a lot of NPCs sometimes went to the high teens. Also some of the textures on the Deck setting are just N64 style blurs, but it's not so bad unless you get right up them.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Chilling out on a long train ride playing Panzer Dragoon Saga on the Deck. Livin the dream.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Am reviewing Street Fighter 6 and vaguely annoyed that it runs way better on the Deck than my gaming laptop with an RTX 3080 in it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Sounds like a CPU issue, not a GPU issue. Chances are the CPU is being downclocked (battery saving profile) or just not very powerful in your laptop.

Would be funny if it turned out to be a Linux vs Windows performance thing, though.

Well it's got an i7 in it so it should be fine. Probably it's down to the Deck screen making the game look good at 720p on low settings with some internal upscaling. The same settings on a larger monitor look like garbage.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

FYI that the Metal Gear Solid Master Collection is broken on Steam Deck. Tested MGS2 and there's no audio during cutscenes/FMVs, weird sound popping during the VR missions, and the game flat out crashes when you start a new game.

Apparently similar problems with MGS3.

Also there is no cloud save support.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 24, 2023

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Annath posted:

Only tangentially related, but the "Master Collection" looks like it's just the original versions, not HD remakes, is that right?

But then there's something called "METAL GEAR SOLID Δ: SNAKE EATER" that actually DOES look like a remake of MGS3, but isn't out yet.

It's literally the 2011 HD Collection versions of MGS2 and 3 in a new launcher - to the point where the loading screens have the HD Collection logo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Annath posted:

I was looking at the Master Collection listing for MGS 1 and it looked like the PS1 version.

It is, just in an emulation wrapper.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Refunded already, as couldn't fix any of the crashes/audio issues even with Proton version fiddling.

The PS3 version of the HD Collection emulates fine on Deck, so I'm just going to stick with that.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 24, 2023

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm just looking forward to spending another week assembling the perfect emulation setup, then never playing any of them ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Spent ages trying to get the Steam version of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory playing nice on the Steam Deck. It works, but the controls are busted and the display is all funky.

After ages tweaking inis and testing controller layouts I remembered it got a PS3 port... and it works beautifully on RPCS3. Would have saved a whole bunch of time...