Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Unless than OLED switched things up, the Deck doesnt go higher than 45W charging so no need to go that high on the brick.

The steam deck will only charge with 15v power, so most 3rd party chargers won't get their rated power either. You need to explicitly check the 15vX number on the bottom and multiple the 2 to figure out the wattage it'll charge a steam deck at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh right, here’s a link to the Windows version for those interested.

https://linksawakeningdxhd.itch.io/links-awakening-dx-hd

Trailer

You can install the Windows version right now, which is probably all that twitter link is talking about. Download it in desktop mode from that link, unzip. Add non-steam game to steam, select that exe. It will complain about missing .net when you run it, click "ok" and download from the site it loads (6.0.25 specifically, if you wanna find it manually). Run that installer with the ProtonTricks Launcher (install Proton Tricks from Discover if you don't have it). Select the Link's Awakening from the list, and it'll install .net. Then you can just run the game from game mode.

This is NOT doing the standard trick for these remakes of distributing JUST the port code and requiring you to supply assets. This is gonna be super C&D'd by Nintendo.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Annath posted:

I dunno, how's that Mario 64 port still going? I thought it was all about some way of doing things that skirted around the copyright issues.

Completely different situation - the N64 one requires you to provide a rom and download source code to compile it. This is just the entire game ported or recompiled to Windows, and it's 100% gonna get taken down as soon as Nintendo's lawyers finish whatever other copyright strike work they're doing today

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Rosalind posted:

I know I'm a little late to this revelation but chiaki4deck is amazing. Perfect 1080p HDR at 60 FPS with no choppiness or noticeable input lag whatsoever over a wireless connection. I was able to play Elden Ring and Diablo IV seamlessly.

I have used Sony's Remote Play before and it's never worked so well. This is astonishing.

Did you have to do anything to get HDR? I upgraded to 1.5.0 this morning but the little HDR logo didn't show up on the brightness slider so it wasn't doing HDR AFAIK. Works on my TV, so it's probably not a PS5 thing.

Either way, 1.5.0 has been a massive upgrade for me on chiaki4deck in performance, it was definitely kinda cruddy for me on 1.4.1, with the green/pink tone mapping issue randomly popping up and then occasional dips to single digit FPS for no reason. Seems massively smoother now, though.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Rolo posted:

Can you link the exact steps?

Go into desktop mode (Steam button, Power at the very bottom, select Desktop mode).
Download the zip file from itch.io
Extract the zip wherever you want the game to be, your home folder is fine.
Add a non-steam game to steam from the steam ui, and then select the .exe inside the Link's Awakening.
Edit properties on the game and force compatibility with Proton Experimental
Run it from steam, it will pop up telling you it needs .net. Click "yes" or ok or whtever and it should open a browser page to download the exe.
(install protontricks by going to the Discover store and searching "protontricks" then clicking install, if you haven't previously installed it)
Right click on the .net installer you just downloaded and choose "Run with Protontricks launcher". It will pop up a list of steam games, select the Link's Awakening from the list.
Run the game from Steam and it should work now. Exit the game.
Return to Game mode via the link on the desktop.
Launch the game from game mode.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 14, 2023

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Rolo posted:

I added it to steam as a non steam game but when I run it, it just thinks for a second then does nothing.

Oh, yes, forgot that step, sorry, change properties on it and force compatibility. I think I used GE something ending in a 5? or maybe experimental?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Rolo posted:

Ok great that did it but now I can’t find Proton Tools in discover.

It's Protontricks, sorry, was typing from memory.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Question Mark Mound posted:

How did everyone make the transition to finding gyro controls anything but weird and uncomfortable? Is there a good practise game/setup I can sit down with for half an hour and make it all feel natural?

Do you have more specific complaints than "weird and uncomfortable"?

I generally prefer it activating on LT pull, so it's only active while I'm ADSing. There's a half dozen other suggested ways to use it ranging from slight modifications to a normal controller layout to completely remapping every control to better take advantage of all the inputs the Steam Deck offers.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Scuf gaming also makes one that I bought before I found out nursing pillows existed. It's inflatable but it's got a pretty decent covering, and it gets fairly compact when not in use. Stupidly overpriced, but if you're uncomfortable with a nursing pillow for whatever reason, it's an option.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Snackmar posted:

Has anyone heard of game compatibility differences between the Steam Deck and the Steam Deck OLED?

I bought the Steam Deck OLED LE at launch, but I only just opened and set it up this week. When I started playing LogiArt Grimoire, I realized that it has sound on my Steam Deck, but not on my Steam Deck OLED LE. :psyduck:

Other games play sound correctly on my OLED LE, and although it uses the same Proton as the original Steam Deck, I tried a couple different versions just in case, but no change.

The game is still early access, but I don't want to send such an odd bug report if there's something else I'm maybe overlooking on a fresh unit?

Logiart sound works fine on the OLED, at least mine. Steam Deck had some issue where games would get muted in the system volume mixer and you needed to boot to desktop mode to fix it somehow? Dunno the specifics, but doesn't seem to be a general OLED issue.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Schir posted:

Really? When I was trying to play it this morning it was more like 18-25 with occasional drops down to single digits at 720p and minimum settings on everything else

For some reason after a patch Palworld has switched from the Low preset to the Very high preset for me, which tanked my FPS down to that level. Changing it back to the bottom preset is much more playable, though it still dips below 30 sometimes.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait wait.... I'm sitting here, missing Forza 4, reading y'all talk about GT4 running great in a PS2 emulator... How well does Xemu handle Forza 4?

Holy poo poo, if I could play that on the deck....

Xbox emulation is a lot less advanced than PS2 emulation, due to a lot of false starts. Definitely don't assume that if it worked on PS2 emu it'll work on Xbox emu, but it's certainly possible.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Annath posted:

Isn't there some thing about how Steam OS handles windows programs where each program gets its own "copy" of "windows"?

I remember something like that when messing with Battle.net and needing to use ProtonTricks to make sure both the B.net launcher and the game executables were under the same proton... thing.

You'd want to make sure the game and the patches are running inside the same box... thing.

Prefix! The same proton prefix!

Specifically, anytime you use Wine (and Proton is just really fancy Wine, when you get down to it), it creates what's called a "prefix" which contains the Windows filesystem. I'm fairly sure that when you install something in a prefix inside wine the app it installed is in the same prefix, but it's been a long time since I've messed with this. I DO know that any time you need to install a library (like .NET libraries or directx or whatever) you need to use winetricks to run it in the correct context for your specific app (i.e. run it in the wine prefix). Also how you install mods when a game needs a mod manager exe instead of just replacing files manually.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Yeah, a quality LCD is perfectly fine for most people in a handheld, though OLED always looks gorgeous. The original deck LCD was not a quality screen, and had a lot of compromises.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I will be very surprised if the OLED even has a token 10% sale, it's new, it's hot, and the LCD deck took a year to go on sale.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

njsykora posted:

I think we should judge more games based on the Playstation it could run on.

Only console with a reasonable naming scheme, to be fair.

I'm curious if 6800u/7840u devices actually see a benefit in any of these CPU-bound games, given they've got 8 cores, or if the TDP is too big of a limit.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What are some good Outrun style racers, where you're pretty much on a focused sprint to the finish? I've been replaying Outrun 2 for the PSP and Super Hang On and Road Rash for the Megadrive for some reason despite them being really held back by their age, so I guess I'm in the mood for that kind of thing right now.

Horizon Chase Turbo. There's a sequel that's (currently?) Epic exclusive too, but the original is pretty solid.

The Hot Wheels Unleashed games are pretty fun racers, though less of the Outrun style, more just generally arcade-y.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

USB-A cannot charge the steam deck, full stop. The deck uses 15v for charging, which USB-A cannot provide in-spec. Even if it could, it's not until you get to some manufacturer-specific extensions (aka not actual standards) that you get one that has the wattage to even appreciably slow the discharge speed of the steam deck.

Get a USB-C power bank with some big batteries in it, it will be able to charge your phone/laptop/steam deck/whatever else for the next decade, USB-A is reaching its end of usefulness for actual electronics charging purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

njsykora posted:

But also your main character is in a space fantasy scenario and primarily fights with a baseball bat.

Can you actually skip cutscenes/dialogue? Biggest complaint about Genshin