Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Dang I put a deposit in on 5/28 and checked the thing:

quote:

Results:

You placed a US 256GB reservation on 2022-05-28T23:19:16Z (UTC)

That is 316 days, 06 hours, 19 minutes and 16 seconds after pre-orders opened

48 days, 01 hours, 18 minutes and 40 seconds worth of pre-orders have been processed

That's 22 days, 16 hours, 14 minutes and 08 seconds more than last batch

You have 268 days, 05 hours, 00 minutes and 36 seconds worth of pre-orders to go until it is your turn (not real time)

You're 15.19 % of the way there!

I had no idea it was that stacked :gonk: I came to the thread thinking it would be happening soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

I mean most of us waited just over a year soooo.

Yeah I see that now. I think I must have read the year wrong on the page because I thought it said September or October. I waited for the raving reviews, I wasn't going to commit before it came out but I also wanted to feel comfortable I had enough savings for when I had to pay :shrug:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Athanatos posted:

You might already know this, but you are not waiting 268 days for it. That number is how many days worth of pre-orders they have to go through. They fulfilled 15 "days" of pre-orders on Monday.

All orders will be completed before the end of the year so worse case 4 months, but at the rate they are getting these things out I'd put a guess you'll be before October.

Yeah I was surprised to see there's still like 270 days worth, but thinking more about it I guess the number per day varies, like the holiday season days will probably be bulkier, etc. but glad to know the September estimate they gave me is still a realistic hope!

Soysaucebeast posted:

I would double check to see what the official Steam page says. They said recently that everyone who already had their orders in by [date I can't remember but it was only a few weeks ago] would get theirs by the end of this year. I just checked mine, and I ordered the 512gig on 5/8/2022 and I'm scheduled to get it Q4 of 2022. You should be right around there too.

Yes you're right, it's still projected in Q4. Great news! :)

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 18, 2022

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

My end of may '22 256gb reserve got bumped up to q3! :woop:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Anyone played cyberpunk on their deck yet? How was it? I've already played it a ton on PS5 so I'm hoping I can install mods too. I won't get 60 fps like the PS5 but with some modding and tweaks who knows?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Steam Deck - I;m thinking about that vent

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

If there's ever going to be a Steak Deck gang tag, it should be something along the lines of "Vent Sniffers"

I'd sniff a steak deck :coolfish:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I play my switch mostly through my dock on my OLED TV anyway so I didn't really care when they made the OLED switch.

But 4K HDR on OLED does own bones

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

My queue tracker was at 94% on the 12th, I've been refreshing my email all morning hoping to see my deck pop up. Never been so antsy to spend 500 dollars before!

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Got my email! 🥳

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

May 28th preorder, got my email and paid for it today. Less than 4 months is pretty good!

Is there any graph of preorder numbers over time? I'm curious if there are more or less preorders happening now.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Path on the deck? I have like 4k hours played on PC, it's hard to imagine doing it handheld now. My PC was starting to show its age with PoE too, how does it run when you have delirium fog and lots of mobs?

Also I broke like a 3 year addiction to that game and haven't played for a year, maybe I shouldn't think about this lol

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Papercut posted:

I played rf inquis mostly on the deck last league and it's pretty good. It actually runs better than it does on my PC lol. But also I found that I'd rather just play other genres that are better suited for controller.

Yeah I think I would be better suited playing other stuff on the deck but it's nice to know it's an option now! playing PoE on my PS5 was always going to be a no-go since I have like thousands of dollars in MTX on steam and they don't cross platform that stuff for whatever reason

My PC is a 10 year old i7 3220k or something like that, with a 970 gtx. I imagine the deck can do as good or better lol

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

drat, FedEx says I may get the deck tomorrow, I just got the shipping email this morning. I'm in the Dallas area for comparison.

Also for those of you doing remote play PS5 stuff: my main screen is a 4K OLED for the PS5 so I imagine the deck screen is not going to hold up to that experience, but it may be worth it if the game isn't a visual powerhouse.. and I could play anywhere in the house... hmmm 🤔

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I bought some car parts and got excited because it seemed like FedEx would deliver stuff early, the it backed off and gave me the original date 🙄

Yeah haha there's no updates on the package yet so I'm pretty skeptical it will get here tonight. Original ETA was Wednesday.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I’m playing Cyberpunk thanks to that other goon’s setting suggestions, and holy poo poo am I bad at aiming with a controller. I need a training regimen or something.

Cyberpunk has a pretty nice aim assist for snapping to targets in the settings. It also has some settings I turned off on the PS5 to make it feel better to me.

You need to go under advanced control options and zero out all the "bonus" and "delay" options for turning and the like. This made movement, gunplay and driving feel SIGNIFICANTLY better for me, but YMMV.

Also I turned off basically every effect, chromatic aberration, film grain, motion blur... but that was 4K OLED 60fps, another user said motion blur was nice to cover up for the lower frame rates on the deck. Also apparently those effects are more immersive if you consider that your eyes are not organic in-game so the lens effects do make sense to leave on if you consider it that way

... :goonsay:

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 20, 2022

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Ugh something is messed up with my deck order. My credit card had a pending charge but it's completely vanished from my card statement now.

Steam purchase history shows a failed charge at 12:22 and then a successful one at 12:23. I have a shipment tracking number but it hasn't changed position yet. (Not like I'm expecting to get it if my payment didn't go through.)

My bank was completely useless, they don't even see the canceled transaction, it's like it never happened on their end. So now I gotta wait for a Valve response to see what the hell i can do about this :(

For a company that really just wants to take my money, Visa sure likes to make me jump through hoops to actually use this card sometimes :argh:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Still waiting on valve CS to respond to my ticket about my vanishing deck payment. Shipment tracker says the deck is still on its way... there's no way though right? I'm not gonna get to sniff that vent until they get my moneys

Just hoping my reservation slot isn't in jeopardy because of it :ohdear:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

If they say they shipped it, they probably shipped it.

Yeah, they did ship it.

I got responses, Valve says everything looks good on their end.

Meanwhile:

So I don't know what to think. Maybe my bank bought me a Steam Deck, maybe they didn't. Maybe it will show up, maybe it won't! Valve says everything checks out though so uh, let's wait and see!

:shrug:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Yeah I'm just going to assume it will show up magically on my credit card statement within the month.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

sigher posted:

That seems to be ona per game basis, and it would take me a week to submit all of the tickets to remove so much bullshit.

I have everything I don't play under Hidden, I just want it off my account. This is super OCD of me but I would honestly prefer to purge all of the crap I don't play off my account. Hell I have games I've played and beaten I know I will never play again that I wouldn't mind getting rid of.

Also my Steam Inventory, I would happier than a pig in poo poo if Valve added a way for me to select all of the things I have collected and allow me to list it all for the cheapest market value it's currently going for. Also to remove certain things from my account that aren't even sellable would be nice too.

I know you can bulk sell cards for their cheapest values... never thought of trying to do it with other inventory items though

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

sigher posted:

What!? How?

Go to the badges menu and go into a game you have cards in:

It's not ALL cards at once but it's all cards for a specific game. If there are similar functions elsewhere for other inventory, doubt it but maybe someone else knows!

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

sigher posted:

Oh hell yeah, thank you. This is going to be a lot faster than selling everything individually. I have 36 something pages of Steam inventory and most of it is cards.

Yeah, if you play one game and buy stuff regularly for it you are constantly barraged with card drops. For me that was happening with Path of Exile and Idle Champions for a while, to the point I had the highest badges crafted but still had cards coming in all the time, and that made it super easy to unload them occasionally for like... 80 cents in my steam wallet :homebrew:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

My deck is here! :neckbeard:

And for those wondering, the credit card charge did magically show up on my statement last night, so just a bunch of worrying for nothing thanks to that nonsense.

Edit: vent sniffed, smells good :cloudnine:

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 22, 2022

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

The Witcher Wild Hunt 3?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Dammit that 1tb SSD at Micro Center is just never going to be in stock in Dallas I guess :argh:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Just got chiaki4deck installed and configured, but my audio is cracking. Anyone had this happen?

Edit: doubled the default buffer and it's much better but still happens some

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 11, 2022

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Micro Center finally got some more SSDs in stock! Time to upgrade my deck :D

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Swapped out my SSD and now it's taking forever to load up the recovery image? Maybe it's the thumb drive I used, I'll look for another one to prepare. Running a random 8gb usb A stick through a hub

Edit: I have a black screen with a rotated mouse cursor now

Something is fucky, I'm going to redownload the image and use a new stick

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 25, 2022

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

sigher posted:

Someone clever actually did this with Ring Fit and some joycons, and modded Elden Ring so all actions required excercise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6cC-T3a-Y0&t=26s

Don't try and reimage from a USB stick, it takes forever if it even works (in my case it didn't even work), keep a spare microSD and use that as a recovery drive. It'll load and reinstall instantly.

I have a microSD for the deck I am putting the redownloaded image on right now, the usb stick did boot up while I was in the other room but I'm gonna pass since you say it takes forever

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

My stick said USB2 in the boot loader screen, either way the SD card worked and I'm already updating :D

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

CRAYON posted:

The only issue I have with the ergonomics of the deck is the shoulder buttons. They feel awkward to press and I usually find myself remapping them to L4/R4.

Yes I find where on a console controller my index fingers prefer to rest on the shoulders, with the deck it's inverted and I prefer to rest on the trigger and move to use the shoulder buttons. Which can feel a little backwards!

Also 1tb SSD steam deck is glorious, with another 1tb SD card. I am installing too many things, shader hell incoming? Need to get EmuDeck set up now and load all that stuff in then this thing will be insane :getin:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Can't you just change the trigger for gyro to something else anyways?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Online multiplayer springs immediately to mind

Edit: I’ve been loving around with yuzu today and immediately interpreted this stance as “instead of just emulating it” because I forgot cross platform games existed for a minute, I’m gonna leave this post as a monument to my dumbass but also because it still applies for emulation :v:

??? You can play online with a deck and you don't have to pay extra to do so??? I guess if you have friends buying it on switch maybe

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I think the Switch has John Carmack to thank for Doom running so well. The man makes a solid engine.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I just realized today that my haptics and rumble don't work anymore. The trackpads give haptic feedback when the deck is booting up but once steam OS is loaded up, they just stop doing anything. :confused:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Downloading a mod off the Nexus site, dropping it in the MO2 folder, and checking it in MO2 isn’t any trouble at all on the Deck. Being able to run Vortex in handheld mode would be pretty awesome, though.

My Fallout 3 TTW playthrough used around 120 mods and only crashed twice in ~100 hrs so I can attest to the stability of this setup on the Steam Deck.

Dang, I was just looking at modding FO3 today and one of the things I was going to install (Fallout Script Extender) wanted me to change the game to load from their loader.exe instead of the game .exe and I thought that sounded annoying to figure out and decided to rain check.

I was really just trying to enable quick saving and loading so I could save scum mid-conversation, not go mod crazy in general.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 19, 2024

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Wow they said gently caress choices and consequences in a fallout game??? :thunk:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Take 2 on modding my fallout install, currently watching Konsole run through a pacman-key refresh-all because half the things I'm trying to install are giving bad trustdb checks.. didn't realize it was going to take this long to run haha

I also got hash check errors when I was using Winetricks to install the visual c++ redistributables, but it looks like they installed fine.. 🤞🏻

Still need to do some searching on my no haptics/rumble issue but I want to get FO3 working first :mad:

Also kinda wishing I had waited because of course they came out with an OLED deck later :argh: how much and how arduous is it to just upgrade the screen? :ohdear:

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 19, 2024

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

The screens aren’t interchangeable because they’ve rearranged the guts of the device along with the refresh, and even if they were they’re glued into the front half of the shell so it’s a loving pain in the rear end by any measure.

:smith: Goddddd drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Well I found out the tweak available in New Vegas that allows you to use keyboard and mouse and controller simultaneously doesn't play so nice with FO3, so it's not available, but apparently you can get it working if you set up TTW.

So I've scrubbed everything and I'm just going to do the install and set up The Twin Wastelands on my PC save then just copy the files over method because man even with a keyboard and mouse futzing around with Linux in desktop mode is draining.

I told my PC to get to downloading both games so I can get to work in the morning :D