Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
All I'm saying is Deck is a PC

(Portable Console)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the PS5 has one of the worst UIs I've seen anywhere and it's still doing fine

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Micro Center finally got some more SSDs in stock! Time to upgrade my deck :D

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What I really love about PC gaming now is Steam itself. I love that every game has its own community section, with varying levels of quality and content. You can write guides, you can think up literally any control scheme possible and share it. You can add people and assign nicknames so you'll always remember who they are. That last one is huge for me, and it drives me nuts how other online ecosystems don't do anything like this. Well I've never had a Sony console, so I'm assuming they don't do that.

I love that I can arrange my games by the percentage of achievements I've gotten, or by its average score, or by time played. The whole thing (steam deck, steam itself) is so robust and filled to the gills with options, and I love it. I'll put up with some rocky, janky ways to start a given game that might only be listed as 'playable' for the overwhelming benefits you get playing something on the deck.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tenkaris posted:

Micro Center finally got some more SSDs in stock! Time to upgrade my deck :D

Don’t forget to take out the SD card before popping off the backplate.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Finding it a little funny due to Steam Sync if I start a game on the Deck and then go to my PC to play it later, it brings the Deck graphical settings over and I have to watch my monitor weep in pain to switch to anything lower than 1080p.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I tried out Prime Hack using the Wii Trilogy and it really didn't feel very good to play. Is it just a matter of using the GameCube versions instead, or can I adjust the controls to have better aiming? I tried to up the sensitivity on the track pad, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don’t forget to take out the SD card before popping off the backplate.

This should probably be the thread title come Black Friday where people are gonna be buying these things on sale.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The whole thing (steam deck, steam itself) is so robust and filled to the gills with options, and I love it.

Valve knows that if you don't give people options, they'll find ways to give themselves the options, especially when it comes to PC gaming. They embrace all that poo poo and make it as smooth as possible to do whatever you want. Kinda funny they sell a device that I can just bootleg any game on, including poo poo from Steam if I wanted.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

sigher posted:

Valve knows that if you don't give people options, they'll find ways to give themselves the options, especially when it comes to PC gaming. They embrace all that poo poo and make it as smooth as possible to do whatever you want. Kinda funny they sell a device that I can just bootleg any game on, including poo poo from Steam if I wanted.

Yeah, look at the fan response to the start up videos and how Valve has responded. Someone figured out how to change it but doing some workarounds, it exploded a bit with people making new ones. So Valve made it easier to change them, upped the maximum length of them and added the option to skip them. Now people have found evidence that Valve is planning on adding official options through the Steam Points Store, like you can get other keyboard skins.

I love that Valve saw people hacking new videos in and just though "cool! Let's make that easier to do!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Momomo posted:

I tried out Prime Hack using the Wii Trilogy and it really didn't feel very good to play. Is it just a matter of using the GameCube versions instead, or can I adjust the controls to have better aiming? I tried to up the sensitivity on the track pad, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

This should probably be the thread title come Black Friday where people are gonna be buying these things on sale.

I've been playing 1 and 2 on default controls and 3 with a 360 controller, it's fully configurable if you like but tbh 3 was always kind of janky to play. I just don't think 1 and 2 really benefit from standard fps controls (or the wiimote controls on the Trilogy version, honestly)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Momomo posted:

Was it just a sensitivity issue? I'm using Prime Trilogy on my Deck and it plays just as smoothly as any other FPS on Deck.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It's not smoothness in terms of the game running, that seems to be fine. It's more that I have to move my thumb two or more times across the entire pad to aim, and the cursor feels laggy.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Ok I think I'm insane and what I have done is a little convoluted but I may have discovered the easiest exercise thing ever.

Steam Deck + Dock + TV + Joycons + Treadmill = the easiest "exercise" I have ever gotten. I've been doing this for the past week and it's been wild.

I have a treadmill and a TV mounted over it but I've been pretty burnt out on rewatching sitcoms while exercising, I don't like anything too intense while walking. For kicks and giggles I hooked my steam deck and dock up to the tv and I was like huh that works. I at first was using an xbox controller but that was kinda weird, you really need free hand movement and not be holding something on a treadmill.

So then I was like, well this things just a linux box right? Joycons will probably connect to it.

Sure as hell. They connected right up the Steam UI changed to Nintendo button prompts and I the first day walked two miles playing Persona and it felt like the time passed so fast. Then I fired up Hades, that might be a little too much action as one time I realized I was trying to walk like Zagreus and I've got pretty good support handles so I wasn't going to fall or anything but there is definitely a sweet spot on what games would work with it. Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters seem perfect as well. But yeah I've clocked like 8 hours on the treadmill this last week while playing RPGs.

Hot drat dudes.

Edit: Oh holy poo poo all those old SNES / PS1 RPGs would be amazing for this also. Oh boy.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

My goon, anything you do to live a more active lifestyle so that you can Game for as many years as possible is never too convoluted.

Figuring out that where I rest my arms on my stationary bike is exactly the width that I hold them while holding the SD was an excellent realization.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Ok I think I'm insane and what I have done is a little convoluted but I may have discovered the easiest exercise thing ever.

Steam Deck + Dock + TV + Joycons + Treadmill = the easiest "exercise" I have ever gotten. I've been doing this for the past week and it's been wild.

I have a treadmill and a TV mounted over it but I've been pretty burnt out on rewatching sitcoms while exercising, I don't like anything too intense while walking. For kicks and giggles I hooked my steam deck and dock up to the tv and I was like huh that works. I at first was using an xbox controller but that was kinda weird, you really need free hand movement and not be holding something on a treadmill.

So then I was like, well this things just a linux box right? Joycons will probably connect to it.

Sure as hell. They connected right up the Steam UI changed to Nintendo button prompts and I the first day walked two miles playing Persona and it felt like the time passed so fast. Then I fired up Hades, that might be a little too much action as one time I realized I was trying to walk like Zagreus and I've got pretty good support handles so I wasn't going to fall or anything but there is definitely a sweet spot on what games would work with it. Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters seem perfect as well. But yeah I've clocked like 8 hours on the treadmill this last week while playing RPGs.

Hot drat dudes.

Edit: Oh holy poo poo all those old SNES / PS1 RPGs would be amazing for this also. Oh boy.

Get Crystal Project and watch your cardio skyrocket.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That's a fuckin cosmo brain idea. I can see myself doing a JRPG while jogging.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Disappointing Pie posted:

Hot drat dudes.

Dude I thought you hooked up your treadmill to W

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Swapped out my SSD and now it's taking forever to load up the recovery image? Maybe it's the thumb drive I used, I'll look for another one to prepare. Running a random 8gb usb A stick through a hub

Edit: I have a black screen with a rotated mouse cursor now

Something is fucky, I'm going to redownload the image and use a new stick

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 25, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vic posted:

Dude I thought you hooked up your treadmill to W

Someone clever actually did this with Ring Fit and some joycons, and modded Elden Ring so all actions required excercise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6cC-T3a-Y0&t=26s

Tenkaris posted:

Swapped out my SSD and now it's taking forever to load up the recovery image? Maybe it's the thumb drive I used, I'll look for another one to prepare. Running a random 8gb usb A stick through a hub

Don't try and reimage from a USB stick, it takes forever if it even works (in my case it didn't even work), keep a spare microSD and use that as a recovery drive. It'll load and reinstall instantly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tenkaris posted:

Something is fucky, I'm going to redownload the image and use a new stick

My re-image took awhile then I needed to reboot once or twice.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Playing the FF remasters while exercising is a tempting idea.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Whenever I've had an emulation device I usually would load up NES/SNES/Genesis/etc and play random games for like 10 minutes before quitting and never coming back (loving up and pressing load state instead of save state never helps either). After getting the deck running PS1/2 games however, I am once again worried my list of new & unplayed steam games is at risk of being pushed aside in favor of games now from the mid aughts. Getting more Wii U roms presumably will not help, either.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

sigher posted:

Someone clever actually did this with Ring Fit and some joycons, and modded Elden Ring so all actions required excercise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6cC-T3a-Y0&t=26s

Don't try and reimage from a USB stick, it takes forever if it even works (in my case it didn't even work), keep a spare microSD and use that as a recovery drive. It'll load and reinstall instantly.

I have a microSD for the deck I am putting the redownloaded image on right now, the usb stick did boot up while I was in the other room but I'm gonna pass since you say it takes forever

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

sigher posted:

This was not my experience. I was using a USB3 flash drive and reimaged just fine for me and was plenty fast.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

This was not my experience. I was using a USB3 flash drive and reimaged just fine for me and was plenty fast.

Yeah I had no issues with my USB3 stick. Only took a few minutes to reimage.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

My stick said USB2 in the boot loader screen, either way the SD card worked and I'm already updating :D

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

when launching a game for the first time through heroic, do you have to go to heroic's single game settings and select a wine version for each game every time? or can you set a default universally? is it doing that because i downloaded another wine version in heroic, other than the proton it had in by default?

i want to add epic/gog games to steam library through the heroic launcher in deck's gaming mode. this says this feature will be in the next beta, is it in the beta or main build yet? https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/vxlndq/how_to_add_my_heroic_games_launcher_games_to_steam/ can i update heroic to the beta from within the app itself?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Deck is the perfect extended cardio device-- particularly cycling. You can get away with it on an elliptical since the arm motions are bullshit already.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Has anyone played around with the deadzones for the sticks yet?

I've been playing xenoverse 2 and it feels like I have to tilt the stick quite a bit to trigger a response.

I checked the settings and they say 8000 or something but is it best to leave the deadzone at that number or is there a better level to set it at?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Kin posted:

Has anyone played around with the deadzones for the sticks yet?

I've been playing xenoverse 2 and it feels like I have to tilt the stick quite a bit to trigger a response.

I checked the settings and they say 8000 or something but is it best to leave the deadzone at that number or is there a better level to set it at?

I have! For Euro Truck Simulator 2, the deadzone was too big to make tiny tiny adjustments to the stick to stay within the lines as I'm driving, so I slashed the deadzone to like 10% of the default. That combined with setting the input curve to "Wide" instead of linear was enough to give me a nice and easy adjustment of the steering wheel by just barely pressuring the stick, while still being able to steer hard when I mean to.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 25, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I set mine down to ~2000 and it seems fine.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Steam Deck is definitely making me spend more on video games, curse you and your incredible service valve.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
There’s a lot of sales! Too many, maybe.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any good non-real-money poker games on Steam? Games that don't take place at the inventory, preferably.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any good non-real-money poker games on Steam? Games that don't take place at the inventory, preferably.

Do RDR2 or one of the Yakuza games count?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Momomo posted:

Are you using the mouse trackpad template and the "mouse" version of controls in PrimeHack?

Metroid Prime isn't a game that needs manual aiming due to the way the original GC controls work. All but one enemy in the game let you L2-target them. That said, I did find the mouse trackpad aiming worked really well.

PrimeHack modifies the GC version the same so there's no difference there.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

A while back, someone posted a link to a reddit post that broke down the best ways to play the Silent Hill games on the deck. It had instructions on how to get Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition working among other things I think. Anyone have that link by any chance?

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

Not the first time I brought this up and I have zero evidence of this being in the works but I think Valve could get ballpark console UX by building a generalized game settings API that allows for developer and user submitted game profiles, eg "40hz mode Medium/High preset". A lot of work, but the payoff would be huge.

Yeah I think this is probably the biggest missing piece to a "true console experience".

The ability to have games installed to the Deck with a Deck-specific settings profile and sidestepping any of the poweruser-type tweaking would resolve a lot of the pitfalls people were bringing up. Working to to maximize battery life is nice, but much like the PC functionality it's not inherently necessary nor is it something that other console handhelds are providing.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

A while back, someone posted a link to a reddit post that broke down the best ways to play the Silent Hill games on the deck. It had instructions on how to get Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition working among other things I think. Anyone have that link by any chance?

I happened to throw it on my growing list of notes to get back to someday:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/...utm_name=iossmf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Consummate Professional posted:

There’s a lot of sales! Too many, maybe.

I think a lot of the effort and tinkering surrounding the Deck is for emulators.