Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Did you try the demo version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
If you haven't played Bloodborne go for a ps5 so you can add that to your list and really enjoy the glorious 30fps.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I just got a cheaper oled model (a little sad it doesn't have the nicer case). Does anyone else use it docked as a desktop regularly? How much can you customize the Linux installation, and does it get trashed in system updates? I already use Linux, would I be better off dual booting into another version or is all the special hardware controls too difficult to get working?

Also I got a Xbox cloud gaming trial to do some comparisons with games actually running on the system and it took me way too long to figure out there is something wrong with the wo long demo that has it stuck at one resolution. Seems to be a common problem, but I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it. I'll probably just move on to try lies of p for the comparison instead.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Dual booting arch on an OLED model trip report: probably not my worst experience installing linux on a new computer. The arch wiki covers most of the issues, although I wound up explicitly using the repo and kernel version that was in the regular installation. Sound and bluetooth worked with the extra packages the wiki recommended, but I had to select the right audio device instead of the hdmi.

The most annoying thing is the system will hang before the boot menu frequently if the dock is plugged in. Anyone know what that is about?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Does steam still give better discounts on certain days so you have to wait until the last day to be sure?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Bardeh posted:

Decided to try Sekiro again after giving up a few hours in back whenever it came out. Runs nice, locked it at 45 for consistency and it stays there like 95% of the time.

The game's still too drat hard though, I dunno why I have so much more trouble with this than the Souls games. Maybe it's because you need to get good at parrying and I never parry in Souls.

That was me. But I played the whole game using timed blocking for exactly one fight. Regular blocking works, you just have to let go to recover, and you run at 300mph with no stamina. I've tried playing through specifically trying to play the right way and never managed.

I learned to use it for the first boss in the wo long demo though, probably just a lot nicer in terms of timing and less punishing for mistakes is a better motivator.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I haven't done much more than the introduction but demons souls seems to play well.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Only the 1tb model comes with the nice case. I was a little disappointed because they also added a hold for the plug so you could charge it in the case.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I'm the one who said it did, I saw it on a YouTube review. I bought the 512gb and do not have the two part case.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Jsrf was actually the first thing I played on my deck. The audio bug is definitely there and it bothered me at first, but I stopped noticing it pretty quick.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Necrothatcher posted:

Can someone pretend I am a complete drooling moron and give me some pointers on how to install this VPN on Deck? https://airvpn.org/linux/eddie/

Every other place I've looked assumes you already know what things like "pacman" are and I have literally no clue what to do with any of the Linux downloads.

Pacman is a package manager that helps install, update, keep track of dependencies shared between programs, etc. Steam deck would like you to use flatpaks, which bundle everything a piece of software needs together.

The download link has a portable option which is everything you need in a tar file instead (like a zip file). Download the 64bit portable and extract somewhere in your home directory, run the program.

You will be responsible for updating it in the future.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

frogbs posted:

So apparently the CD version of UT2k4 came with Linux binaries on it. If I were able to track those down, what’s the likelihood of me getting it running on the Steam Deck? Is it gonna be as simple as going into desktop mode and running the right files?

Archive.org has it, that's probably :filez:? But this isn't I don't think, someone found the necessary dependencies to get it to work:
https://archive.org/details/ut-2004-linux-deps-i-386

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Animal posted:

Yeah now I feel pressured to finally beat Hades. I guess it’s time to face my fear of rogue-likes and finally get past stage 2. I’m traumatized by Returnal.

In the first game the permanent unlock system, story elements happening after dying, etc mean losing runs helps things progress and get through the game's content.

There is definitely a skill/effort level where you can spend a lot more time scrapping by in runs you probably can't win for rewards that are worse than if you had focused on collectables for permanent upgrades.

I usually like starting these games over from a clean slate after finishing and holy hell I am so terrible at the early game still haha.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I haven't played anything that does 90hz on the deck, but a lot of things manage 45hz. I guess having that as an integer multiple option is an advantage.

The 1tb model comes with a different case too.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Shart Carbuncle posted:

It’s terrific. I’ve recently played some cutscene-heavy games that don’t let you pause when a cutscene is playing, and being able to suspend is so nice, even if it’s just to answer the phone or something.

Edit: also it should be a crime to release a game that has any point where you can’t pause (barring online poo poo, obviously).

Takes long enough that you couldn't easily do it in a fight but I enjoyed using this to be able to pause during boss second phase transformation cutscenes in lies of p.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

harrygomm posted:

has anyone had any luck dual booting their deck?

i used gparted to set aside some space after a factory reset and got Mint up and running. problem is the network card/chip is done dual wifi/BT Qualcomm 765 or another and even with the latest firmware and kernel, it won't even see my network or mouse. live environment or installed.

i'm trying manjaro live too since it's also based on arch and the network/bluetooth work fine in desktop and gaming modes on the native install

I got it running with Arch, using valve's pacman repos, and linux kernel/firmware. The arch wiki had information and a guide about. Wifi and Bluetooth work fine, but I used a different adapter during the install. The display panel is not oriented top up, which was annoying. I also had to use the steam deck recovery image and start over at one point.

As to why, I didn't want to deal with kde, flatpacks, valve wiping stuff in updates, etc. My computers are pretty old at this point but I've never been motivated to upgrade as I never played games on it or did anything intensive, so it is a pretty big upgrade haha.

I didn't become a Linux user to make sensible choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

harrygomm posted:

i should have just looked there first. i have an OLED which is only supported on one specific kernel in a Valve repository. i think i can figure out the rest from there, thanks
Mine is also an OLED model, forgot to mention that. I may have installed the actual kernel version installed in the regular install of steamos?

I wasn't left too confident in it, so I got a micro SD card just to do more comprehensive backups of the whole install, but I haven't got back into playing with it for a while.