Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Have they been open reservations or something where the preorder window opens for brief periods? I randomly opened Steam and saw that I could put a deposit down so I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ahh. That's cool. It's just a curiosity to me at this point, nothing I want much right now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw those Xbox mini fridges at Target last week. I thought about it but looking at the box it makes it clear that it's more of a cooler and the warning recommended not to have it connected 24/7. Killed any interest in one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does Steam Deck do the thing Switch does where it’s more powerful when connected to a TV? If so, how powerful is it compared to PS5/Series X? (I don’t know poo poo about graphics cards, don’t compare it to those.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah. Well, a portable PS4 is still nothing to sneeze at. Higher frame rates are more important to me than ray tracing.

Looking forward to getting mine in Dectober.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

jokes posted:

Also, importantly, the PS4 was loud as poo poo

It was loud, but they don't start out that way. They're dust magnets. My PS4 Pro was jet engine loud and I took it apart to dust it out and it was whisper quiet afterward.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How is 3DS and PS2 emulation on Steam Deck?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't kept track of the PC version but D2 Resurrected goes on sale all the time on console. As low as $20.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got moved form Q4 to Q3, so I'm expecting to get my golden ticket by end of next month.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Were the cases something they just gave away to the first round of shipments or does everyone get one?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is the included 45w charger good enough to charge while playing? If not, what’s the recommended charger?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

45w is the max the deck will take so yes it’ll do just fine. Only con against it is that it’s fixed so if you want a longer cable you’ll need a brick as well.

Ahh, that’s good to know. I’ve got a Samsung 45w charger plugged into my wall with a 10ft USBC cable that I’ve been using that should do the trick. Perfect.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There just so happens to be a lightning deal on SanDisk cards right now. I just pulled the trigger on a 512gb microSD card. Haven't had any issues with counterfeits on Amazon so far. Hopefully my luck continues.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

didn't see if this was answered correctly but no, it'll drain while playing even with the included charger. I recommend getting a 60w charger

Ah. Well, I got at most a month to get one.

As for Amazon Return chat - Kohls takes Amazon returns too. I recommend dropping off there if you can. They always hand you a free $5 Kohls Cash coupon too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Dock talk:

What are you guys using for a controller and do you have to do a lot of finagling to switch between docked and undock controller mode? I feel like going to use the control map to reconfigure between my dualshock and the deck's control everytime I dock/undock would get old. I think this would be the steam controller's time to shine if it could support similar maps while docked without having to change any settings.

I haven't bothered to buy a dock yet because I feel there are going to be controller shenanigans, even though dock mode was what sold me on buying the deck.

The 8bitdo Pro 2 controller has a physical toggle on it that lets you swap between 4 different modes. I have mine set to work between my Switch, my Mister and my MacBook.

Which brings me to my next question, do 8bitdo controllers work well on Steam Deck?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't remember the technical details but something about the way the Switch dock handles power delivery makes it a special snowflake so I don't think a Switch and Steam Deck dock combo will ever be possible.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They stopped using that plastic after they found out it was making people sterile.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was gifting my friends copies of Vampire Survivors with this Star Trek clip in the gift message.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If there's ever going to be a Steak Deck gang tag, it should be something along the lines of "Vent Sniffers"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Checked my progress today. It's 84.51% of the way there, according to GetMyDeck. Not too shabby. It was at 16% when I first started tracking on the 19th last month.

One thing I'm confused about, where do you put the cartridges?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

worms butthole guy posted:

This is true and it really shows the incompetance on Nintendo that they couldn't compete in this market. I actually struggle to think how Nintendo CAN compete with the Steam Deck going forward, especially if Valve ever gets to a place where Steam Deck is commonly available.

Eventually, and old people 30+ will find it hard to believe this, Nintendo will run out of people to cater nostalgia too. Most nintendo fans refuse to listen to it but Zoomers and Millenials do not hold the same love of Nintendo that old people do.

You heard it here first folks, Nintendo is doomed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Veotax posted:

Nintendo doing things in the name of protecting kids is a big part of why you still need friend codes to add friends on Switch.

They're terrified of a headline like "child meets podophile on their Switch" or something. So there's no voice chat built in on the console and to add a friend, you need to trade codes outside of the systems interface.

After spending many hours of playing Monster Hunter Rise online on Switch, the lack of online features is a feature, not a failing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cloks posted:

finally, the portable new vegas machine

Vampire Survivors, New Vegas and Wind Waker are what I'm anticipating playing the most right now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

:woop:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pretty big jump today. On Monday I was at 84.51%. GetMyDeck is pretty drat accurate because it’s showing 100.14% today. Now the long wait for it to ship.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone recommend this for a good charger? I just looked up "Anker MacBook charger" and it lokks solid enough.

Edit: oh gently caress yeah, my friend has a spare brand new Samsung 65w charger he's gonna give me.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 16, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kojima would come up with some clever ways to make the vent emit scents based on where you are or what's going on in the game.

I have a tracking number and it's due to ship on Friday. :yeeclaw:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fedex is toying with me. First it was supposed to arrive on Friday. Then yesterday it said Tuesday. And now it says Wednesday. I'll be getting it earlier than expected either way.

How's RDR2 on Deck? I was replaying it earlier this year on Xbox Series X but my save file hosed itself when I brought my Xbox over to a friend's when housesitting. Kinda thinking about buying the PC version it if it plays well enough on Deck.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can smell that vent from a state away.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No delivery service gives me more headaches than FedEx. My Deck was set to be delivered today. It arrived in my state a couple hours ago and now my update delivery has been updated to end of day tomorrow.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vent sniffed. :11tea:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Halo Master Chief Collection not being playable at all because of anti cheat is some bullshit. I just wanna play the campaign.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got a warning about using Nkit versions of games when I ran GameCube using Dolphin. Does that actually affect performance or anything or it it one of those “just in case” warnings?

As for the emulators themselves, I’ve tested out Wind Waker and F-Zero. They look great and perform mostly well. Do you gotta tweak settings in Dolphin in desktop mode? If so, what are the generally preferred settings?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Well there goes just under 700 dollars, not the largest purchase I've ever done but definitely the largest I've done as a single payment(Valve would probably sell even more of these things if they had some sort of payment plan option)

Well, there’s a sort of payment plan if you do what I did and just throw a hundred bucks every week or so in the Steam Wallet while waiting for your email to arrive.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Kins posted:

There should be a launch option to start with anticheat turned off for mods, try that.

As for the anticheat, as of a bit over a week ago there are "ongoing compatibility issues" that are being collectively worked on by 343, EasyAntiCheat and Valve. Hopefully they'll be further along by the next big MCC update in November or thereabouts.

I tried that and it didn’t launch. I’ll install it again and try again soon.

A couple hours before my Deck was delivered on Thursday, I got a text from my ISP saying that I’ve used 75% of this month’s data cap. The next morning I got one that said I’ve used 90%. It’s gonna be a long week.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I hear Starbucks doesn’t have a data cap.

Now that you mention it, I could go for a Nitro Cold Brew.

So I’ve got the hang of Emudeck and the Steam Rom Manager. Sometimes the Rom Manager thinks a game has a different name so it won’t download any artwork for it from SteamGridDB. I could download the art manually, but I’m sure that it’ll be easier for it to scrape the art if it’ll get the name right. Is there a way to manually change the name so that it scrapes the art correctly? For example, it misnamed Ico as “Iconic.”

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vic posted:

Add a year after the name like (2000).

e: Had this problem with the original Resident Evil

That didn't work, but it lead me to the right direction. Renaming it from "Ico" to "ico" worked. I'll add in the year if it doesn't work in the future.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Redownloaded Halo MCC. Tried running it again with Anti-Cheat disabled. It tries to boot but just goes back to the Steam Deck menu.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The way Gabe talked about the Deck after the initial announcement made it seem that they have long term plans for the Steam Deck. Something along the lines of revolutionizing PC gaming the way the iPhone revolutionized phones. I think he may have overstated the importance and I didn’t take that to mean it’ll have yearly iterations. But it’s clear there’s a confidence and vision that wasn’t there with the Steam Machine a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Barreft posted:

Is there a way to turn the display off and let it still download a game? I'm used to just hitting power on the switch just doing it, but it pauses on the deck. I only just got this yesterday so learning a lot

e: also the scaling filter, i don't really notice anything. is it a per game thing? what should I leave as default, linear?

It’ll turn the display off on its own after a while. Did a lot of downloading yesterday.

This thing is nuts. Seven years ago I went to Fry’s Electronics with a friend so he could buy a new graphics card to run Fallout 4 on his PC. I bought the PS4 version and played it at 30fps. Today I’m playing Fallout 4 on a handheld computer at a solid 60fps.
(Pro tip for FO4 on Deck: Go in the settings and turn God Rays off. They don’t render well.)

Second pro tip: it recommends low settings but it performs just as well on Medium. As far as I can tell l, locked 60. (Turn those Godrays off.) High settings performed pretty good but definitely not locked, and at the resolution, I couldn’t see much improvement. So I recommend medium.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 26, 2022