Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1419676537981480972

Here's the reviews if anyone cares.

So I got into TWEWY via the anime, then watched the cutscenes for the extra episode from the Switch port. Enjoyable but I could really tell it was a truncated experience vs actually playing it. I figured that I'd leave NEO in the backburner since Great Ace Attorney Chronicles was the same day... but just touching the demo made it day 1 for sure. Spent yesterday grinding and then redoing the boss from the demo so I can jump right back in. Soon as gamestop opens in forty seven minutes I'm picking up my copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So how do I change the difficulty? I keep pressing the touchpad to bring up the menu but I can't change it? I figured it was just a demo thing but I still can't

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

You need to unlock it, don't worry you cant miss it, they just give you access to the menu before you can use it.

Gotcha, thanks

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I blew all my money on food because I wanted to see Minamimoto smile :kiddo:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Did all of W1D4 after work. Fun stuff. Feels good figuring out how all the moves' properties can interact and string together before swapping stuff around to the next variation of the combo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

YggiDee posted:

I missed a sidequest in Day 5, I don't wanna redo Day 5 :cry:

Yeah, this one feels pretty bad :smith: specially because I noticed it just when the time travel stuff started, so i got like a third or whatever of the day to go through, knowing that i can't reach the part of the map needed for it. And with how these sidequests are working and that map looks, I gotta assume there's a half dozen folk locked behind that one i missed.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rea posted:

Yes, you can hop into a day to do a sidequest, and as soon as it's done, go back to where you were in the story. You don't have to complete the day for sidequests to be recorded as complete.

oh sweet, i'll do that soon.

I'm around halfway through W2D1 and I find it very hard to believe that we'll actually get Neku to join us lol, but clearly I'm close to a new 4th party member. in regards to money I'm guessing I can go over 99,999 soon? Just saw a store selling stuff for 100,000 and I can probably sell my dupes to shoot way past that when the cap is lifted

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Made it to W2D3 I feel like that's way too long to be without a fourth party member. Kept getting cool poo poo I couldn't mix that well from not having an input. That said, it made the Beat reveal all the sweeter. God, what a glow-up. And I love how he and Fret vibe. Gonna loving tear down the whole town and make a gazillion yen and buy everything and finally eat that loving curry.

A bit too much combat, but I am hooked now that the real twewy begins

oh yeah and someone upthread mentioned that there should be a sub-chapter select when you do the chapter select stuff. I completely agree. Took me way too long to get the one thing I missed in W1D5

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 30, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Spent an hour in the second slam trying to do a 9 chain fight. At oen point I basically ahd it won but someone touched the fire trail and that took my last bit of health. Had to learn to let go and stick to like chain 4.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

W2D3: any particular recommendations for Pin builds (specifically, building boost)? I’ve currently got Kitsunegasaki (Uber JOTM X-attack), Gorgeous Gemstone (y-attack that petrifies), AkaFuji Blaze (ZL ground AoE), and Topo the Ingenious (r-button bomb that heals you)

yo i'm running basically that, just for the R button instead I use that 5-pronged stone pillar that puts enemies airborne

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Just beat W2D3. My secret to Scramble Slam is [spoiler]don't give a gently caress lol[spoiler] i just missed out on a couple bonuses so whatevs, better to just dedicate my mind powers to having everyone go to McShibuya and order 4 large sodas each to get max style before their bladders emptied out after a few fights.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Just got to the part in W2D4 where some big lore stuff is explained and I can't believe I misread the one important bit in A New Day all along. I was playing under the assumption that Shibuya was deleted, but it turns out it was Shinjuku. This whole loving time I thought everything we were doing was a simulation of sorts or that like every person in Shibuya died and were being funneled into the game in groups to prevent overcrowding. There's still a lot of fucky stuff going around, but it's way less complex than I thought going in lol.

These past several hours have felt like i'm just getting loving swole. Love it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

^They literally say near the end of A New Day that Shinjuku got erased

Yes, exactly they do. When I read that bit of dialogue in A New Day, I read it as Shibuya for whatever dumb reason. God i'm dumb

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I legit think there's no reason not to focus on sidequests as soon as the day starts. At bare, bare minimum you're looking at more FP, and it's sorta often that you'll carve out the path to a really beefy buff like extra uber pins or stuff that affects the noise.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

municipal shrimp posted:

Why would you pointlessly grind there when you can just keep playing and get better gear and pins? Also probably another party member?

Yeah, this exactly.

Virtue posted:

So I just hit W2D1 and there's apparently a pretty big difficulty spike. I went from level 1 hard button mashing my way to victory to dying to 3x chains on normal. Any general tips I should be thinking about or pin combos to look for?

Reevaluate the pins you got, see what gets you combos fast and bear with it for a couple days until you're back at full party. That said, it is always a good idea to eat when possible. You're also close to getting a wallet upgrade, so it's best if you don't sell your pins until then so you can just hit square and get a big payday. W2D3 is when you're going to feel fuckin' swole again.

For actual pin advise, I try to have a good face button that does high damage and has a knockback property to it, it'll say in the description if it ends with knockback. The R2 L2 pins that work best for me are the ones you simply hold to damage the opponent, there's a fire one you might have access to soon or now where a giant circle of fire gets summoned under the target. R1 L1 pins there are two kinds that I love: summons poo poo from the ground to send enemies airbound, or summons poo poo from teh sky to send enemies crashing down. Combined with a good triangle pin, you could end up with a combo that sends the enemy flying, you let go of the R1L1 and cash in damage OR do good damage and keep them airbound even more; enemy can't loving hurt you if they're flying around.
Experiment around, try to see a combination of pins that lets you juggle enemies the longest, if at all possible try to lean towards Rock or Water, imo those are the best Fusion attacks since they can interrupt enemies for a pretty long while.

oh and don't be afraid to just raise your level. Every now and then you'll get a fight you'll need that HP back. It's totally be design that you'll crank it back up for a fight or two, and trying to get that huge loving payoff from doing a hard string on level 1 is a recipe for getting frustrated over a loving hour because god loving dammit the second time I was just ONE hit away from killing it why the gently caress does poison have to do so much damage when i'm level one i wasn't even close to that scorpion aw gently caress i could've gotten so many goddamned pins

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 2, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oh god, I just got Heartthrob Launcher. Its unevolved version was pretty tight, but now it's a beast. Blue bar go UP. I had simply slapped it on Nagi, but seeing how it's working out, I ended up redoing everyone's gear by hand so her ATK was up the roof. Doing chains at level 1 and any scratch I get gets healed by her in a single round of use. Feels so loving good. Gonna give her some more ATK up beef.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

W2D6 is my favorite thing in forever what an amazing game

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

There's some pacing issues here and there, but honestly the story's great and above all the gamefeel is excellent. There was one long section where I probably spent like 3 hours barely advancing the story because of all the battles they wanted out of me, plus some extra I took and it just felt good.

This is a game that benefits the most from the demo. If you enjoy how the game feels there, then you're set to have a blast with the full game.

Also, puzzle talk for W2D5 (or 4?) loved how the first puzzle they give you with the phonebooth comes with "don't worry we'll bail you if you can't figure it out" and i ate poo poo and didn't figure it out until htey spelled it out lol. My eyesight isn't that great and I probably should've gotten a prescription a few years ago now, so the "find the 5 differences" one took me a while, and I had to get up and stand right in front of my tv lol but I really appreciate that the puzzles weren't Too baby mode.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Got to W3 a bit before going to work today. What a great setup. And phew, W2D7 was loving crazy. Very excited reading that folks think W3 is the best part of the story.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/Gatt0Ner0_/status/1422789245656346625?s=19

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

thehoodie posted:

Which can actually be very good used in combination with other threads that give you a damage boost when at low HP.

Still on W3D1, but when I hit the soft cap of style with Rindo and someone else, I'll start slapping on jinx clothes that gently caress up my HP together with big regen III accessories and vampire attacks, and hopefully that'll give me the good brain chemicals of seeing a nearly empty bar fill up with blue during my first attacks :shepface:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

God the core loop of eating battling until I can eat more and battling to test out the threads abilities my style unlocked is so good. On w3d2 level 67 (but always at lvl 1-5) no idea when I'll finish.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Beat W3D5. This game is so loving good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

How long would you say W3D7 is? I got some stuff to do today, so IDK if I should try to squeeze it in now or wait for my next day off.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

You will probably want to actually wait for a good block of time to do it all.

Alright. Y'all are getting my thoughts either tomorrow night or at some point on Wednesday.

'till then a short ramble
I think my favorite part of the game is that everytime I start really thinking "I wish I could have more X" it happens within a half hour. Be it more uber pins or just a new character. The most recent of that was thinking how I wish I had the sixth character, then Minamimoto showing up and getting hyped, then oh gently caress I gotta fight him, AND THEN Neku!

I really appreciate how all the villains are basically letting their goodwill towards Shiba turn to fear over the three years. Except for Sussy K, it felt very real how the Shinjuku stuff caught them off guard, and then when Shiba started revealing his true colors over the years, the reapers just didn't want to rock the boat due to the fear he started forming on them. Sussy was a bit drastic with how much he seemingly loved doing bullshit and then going "ah, but i was just doing it so i could betray Shiba when it counts"

Adore how casual everyone is towards all the magic poo poo. Every time people talk about time travel it feels hilarious. Like Rindo going "i can't remember what happened" and Beat just assume he's from the far future then. Last week has some very neat arcs for everyone, really makes this group feel like a family that'll stick together.

Final thing: I'm a totally stupid Mark that believes after three months ten years we'll finally see Shiki's face soon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Susukichi is 19 years old

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/JoojToranja/status/1425261754381217795

Susukichi's voice actor is a loving great follow on twitter

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Do you need 100% for the secret ending?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

serefin99 posted:

Nope, just need all the Secret Reports.

Hell yeah. Got 2 so far.

Tomorrow I'll beat the story and try to beat another day and those reports by next week then move to great ace attorney

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm on The Last Day'' and this game loving rules

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Beat the game. Did a 13 chain battle on ULTIMATE. Died to a bear in the very last one, first time I get hit by one in dozens of hours. :negative:

Amazing game holy poo poo. The last three or four hours were immaculate. It tops KH3 Re:Mind, AND The Wonderful 101. Had I played TWEWY back on the DS, I probably would've sobbed at the Neku and Shiki reunion. Not only seeing her face but having that reunion reversed, loving perfection. The bird stuff was rad, and it really hit those notes Re:Mind hit but way, way better. Just the complex way to build to the absolute perfect victory. That phoenix boss was rad, and the stylish credits just made for the perfect finale.

I thought I wouldn't like Rindo and Shoka getting together, but it was so adorable and modern. I loving adore urban scifi/fantasy stuff, so the stuff of her coming back to life but being locked out of her accounts and Rindo just accidentally ignoring her friend requests are a million percent my poo poo. Also can't believe I didn't notice she was Sparrow! By the time W3D7 started I kinda turned off on trying to figure it out and forgot. So loving sweet.

Gonna mess around with Another Day later, then grind up some FP to finish that board and after that hunt down the secret reports.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, what is your experience with the original TWEWY then? You did at least know about the main story points going into this right?

I watched the anime and the A New Day cutscenes. Literally finished with that the day the demo for NEO came out.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Joshua's loving game! I immediately thought "SHE'S IN CAT ALLEY!!" and started holding the stick to the left and spamming the circle button to rush over there, then it just kept playing cutscemes lmao

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

YggiDee posted:

RUDE

(final day spoilers) So I beat Shiba, and I mean I absolutely whipped his rear end, then motherfucking Kubo pops up, laughs evilly, says "Expect the unexpected," and the Switch crashes. The timing was so impeccable I had Flowey-crashing-undertale flashbacks.

loving excellent how did the bit after the first phase of Shiba run? when you're fighting mobs of noise in the fully populated scramble. I'm insanely curious if the Switch has issues running that

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No real slow down in my run, either times I had to do it.

That's nice then

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The way I did that fight was whenever i saw NULL pop up i would switch target and make sure I was smacking a blondie that gave me numbers before going back to wailing. For Minamimoto, I got blessed lmao i switched to the water vortex move just beofre that fight, turns out he's weak to water (and water is one of the best 200% fusion attacks) and when timed right vortex moves kinda bypass his mechanics. Susukichi the most important thing is to watch out for his big arm and make sure to dodge exactly as he starts swiping, and not during any part of the wind up

https://twitter.com/NekkoBlue/status/1425823362903941121

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 13, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

For the last two or three days I rocked... i should probably go turn on the PS5 to give out the names but gently caress it
The water vortex pin
The darkness floating swords pin
A triangle pin that did like giant stand fists
A triangle uppercut pin that did vampire
A square bullet pin that did vampire
The Ice Discs pin

all had strength of 1100 or more, i think an average of like 1250

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

At 48 hours, I got my fill of the game. Not gonna get into the blue boss rematches, but I will read the reports and watch the secret boss + ending. Then make a big effort post about why thsi game loving rules.

Okay, let's see if my ramble can be somewhat coherent

-Gameplay: the very core of NEO:TWEWY is that it's a very fun ARPG. It feels good. The idea is kinda unique and it's very well balanced around it. You have 6 possible inputs for attack and you have over 300 attacks to choose from. The variation is great, allows for several different ways to tackle the entire game so you can tune it to the pins you enjoy using. This is further encouraged by the level system, you can put yourself in greater danger, limit hte number of mistakes you can make, so you're more likely to get new, better, pins and evolve your playstyle. This means getting into bigger combat strings. This means getting more money. That leads to the food system, you get the money to buy the food and also by doing combat you're burning the calories so you can beef up more often. With food being relatively cheap, you're thus able to spend on clothes and customize your team further the options are vast enough that you can figure out what combinations you like. Then you throw in the network system and even if someone's locked to way later in the week, you can sometimes still see what they offer, and thus you're chasing for when you can unlock, say, the ability to use more Uber pins.

It's a gameplay loop with enough layers that you can be focusing on one thing but still progressing on another two. And it's all optional to the point where you could do days without a single non-scripted battle. The freedom of choice further elevates this loop, it's yours. As if the gameloop ended with you. NEO.

-Story: On a fanservice angle, it's everything a fan of TWEWY could ever want. Build the reunion between Shiki and Neku yet again so you can see it from a different angle and with her face. Beat is there to be a knight in himbo armor. Minamimoto is like the Steve Austin of Shibuya or something, hell they play his thematically appropriate theme every time he walks into the frame and by all accounts is framed to be the next mayor thing in this story. And yet they found a way for all these returning characters not to take away shine from the new cast.

For our new lads. Rindo is probably one of my favorite teenage protagonists in forever. Someone kinda trapped by the digital age; in a crucial point of his life, angry and bitter yet unaware of it. Over the course of the game the Replay power really makes his soul grow; he gets to see how different actions lead to different outcomes not just for grand reality saving situations, but just how being a nicer person leads to people being nicer in return. The shakeup when the reposter gets exposed felt like a very modern yet natural way to force his growth. To think critically at the same time as he understands that being uncaring doesn't mean he's being mature.

Fret is just the right flavor of the lovely best friend. He's got the annoying traits, but always just tame enough to stay in the side of funny. Getting a crush and flirting but not being a creep about it. I gasped when he said "not again", it was such a perfectly delivered punch to find out he'd lost someone, and then that it was due to suicide? loving rough and fitting.

Nagi I simply relate to. The way she positions herself to be the quiet glue of the group is something I felt and done many times. The overthinking of communication to best improve the moods of those around her rings so true. I agree that she's overall static and more than anything we see how she changes her social masks once meeting someone she trusts. I guess it kinda goes along with her being the oldest one in a game where 18 year old are grizzled veterans. Just loved any time she put on the empathy.

Shoka is a pretty well done victim of abuse. Searching for small ways to rebel, latching on to relationships but being afraid to fully act on them. It is kinda messy how she betrayed and then didn't follow through, but I can see that fitting with her state of mind. I didn't catch on the Sparrow stuff until way too late, but it was a good reveal.

The Shinjuku Reapers are a cool bunch. The way Kubo just wrecked their life was great. Wish we could know a bit about Tsugumi's brother and how that day went down in Shinjuku, but I guess what matters is that Kubo destroyed their lives and took the community leader from them the moment they could start rebuilding in Shibuya. When they needed to embrace a change, the influenced Shiba instead put chains on them, act under his (aka Kubo's) will with a distaste for Shibuya, for postiive change, and at least get the comfort of being on the good side of the strongest pillar in their lives. Like everything was changing so drastically, the hope that Shiba was doing things right, that they just needed to not rock the boat for everything to be ok, is enough to drive people to the sins they made.
Except Susukichi imo. He probably could've stayed a villain. Though I did like that he revealed the one thing he liked of Shibuya was the underpass that was unlike the rest of the city, quiet. Kinda manages to ring true to how Shibuya has so much clashing points of views that even Sussy K found something to like.

Which turns to what I think is the mayor theme, the bravery to change, transform, all that is in your life and not let your self doubt stop you. From the very first action you can take in the game being deciding between eating a new kind of food or just eating the same thing as always, to the final boss being the manifestation of all the untaken possibilities. How it loops into gameplay because you can simply step towards the story, or you can put yourself in more dangerous situations with enemies in order to chase the hope of a better situation with stats/gear/pins, even if the latter is literally just possibility vs a guarantee. The sense of community is also great, our heroes win by working together by expressing themselves first while our villains bide their time in unhappy situations and letting it stay the same. Minamimoto and the rest have to change how they interact with each other and with the world in order to come up top. Rindo literally has to accept being a protagonist, that Minamimoto, Beat and Rindo are his Allies and not his superiors. God, just those final hours are such amazing growth.

That's why the ending really works. It's such a real, day to day thing now. Online relationships can evolve to be deeper with face to face communication. It's a scary transformation, but one that can be so satisfying when you find all the small things that can't be conveyed in digital means and yet they make that other person even more valuable to you. It lands to me in particular because that's how I met my wife. That's a risk I took eight years ago. And now we've lived together for five. Seeing it resonate not just with the finale but with what it's saying for the entire 48 hours I've engaged with the game is just... wonderful.

So, yeah, I love NEO TWEWY. Quite likely the GOTY. I think there's enough rope here for a 3, and that Minamimoto would be the driving force in it like they're a wrestler trying to get the title belt off of the higher planes.

-oh yeah presentation
uh, it loving rules. so many banger songs, the visual style is extremely strong, UI is great, hell the form of moving fast is stylish as gently caress, too.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 15, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Sharks are chumps the whole way through. I do agree chameleons suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Like I still don't care for the last bits of Suzukichi's character, but his role and how he interacts with you for most of the game are excellent and I love it every time he's on screen. I wish I was as lucky as this dude with the lifesize Sussy K cardboard cutout

https://twitter.com/KZXcellent/status/1427138664841326593