Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm looking at babbys first fdm 3d printer.

300mm is really the sweet spot for me I think. I need to measure out the planned space.

Is the cr-10s worth the $100 over the cr-10? Should I get the cr-10 and sink that $100 into other upgrades like Auto leveling sensors?

Are there other printers I should look at. The sovol sv-01pro seems to have a ton of QOL improvements for it's price point but is on the smaller size (but can be had as a refurbished unit for $200). It might limit me a bit to go to that smaller form factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I'm looking at babbys first fdm 3d printer.

Updating this a little based on stuff I've looked at.

280-300mm seemns to be my "sweet spot" for a printer.
The sovol SV-03 seems to be decent, big but a lot of reviews seem like they got reivew/demo units to do the reiviews. and it seems slightly picky, and larger than my needs 99% of the time (I do have a friend with a larger print capacity as well)
Reddit is NUTS about the SV-06 but the size is a little smaller than I'm comfortable with considering that one of the things I already have in mind would be ~7" on one axis which is nearing the capacity of the SV-06

The Sovol SV01-PRO seems like its really in my sweet spot of size.. downside is it's OOS from Sovol and $60 more on amazon (I should have pulled the trigger on a refurb for 209 the other day)

I would look at a the CR10 but it seems like they're not as much bang for buck compared to the Sovol units.

Any advice here or alternatives I should look into.

Things that I'd like:
Direct drive (unless the failures / challenges of the tube are over-stated)
Auto-leveling
280mm+
"Quiet" updated board. This will be mostly running in my basement though so not as high on the priority list.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

3d printing is full of people doing snake oil poo poo with no basis in reality.

it happens any time you have a complicated technology and a unskilled users who don't really understand what they're doing. they try all the old wives' tricks that they hear about, enter the secret incantations into their slicer, eventually through trial and error and confirmation bias find something that works for them, and then lock it down as a ritual that they have to perform for the mysterious artifact to do its magic.

Yep every hobby ever. Brewing there's tons of oldnwifes tales. I've seen lots of contradiction info I'm my search for the perfect printer as my first. P much any hobby.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bobulus posted:

PrusaSlicer seems to do a off-plate waste run and a skirt loop. Seems excessive.

It's really not that wasteful to do both what's that line and skirt really cost? Maybe like a fraction of a fraction of a penny. I don't mind because I can peep the line while it moves to the skirt and then 2x check while it's doing the skirt and have time left over to actually get to the stop print in the menu.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah that's on my list. I'm still trying to figure out the home for my printer. I think once I get all set up it'll be on a card table in the basement. My basement work bench doesn't have enough room to house printer with enclosure and my dryer.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

There's a Kickstarter or something for a recycle your own pla coming soon I just saw it advertised recently. I think it was a component kit then you print your own bits.

I can't imagine how much waste you'd have had to have for it to be worth it in terms buying the thing, and your time sorting crushing into tiny bits and then running the extruder.

Edit: found it again advertised to me. They are in prototype for pla only at this time for the low cost of 3-4000 once you source a shredder.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 17, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

the interwebs indicates that Creality is currently doodoo, and has many issues with QC and you're really rolling dice.
They once were good and had a good track-record for budget 3d printers but it appears that they have rested on their laurels.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Speaking of tents.
A lot of people on the interwbs say you shouldn't run enclosed FDM printers with the PSU and the Control board in the tent. Is this really a big issue running them in a warm environment?
I don't plan on doing external heting just keeping the heat from the bed plate around to keep crankier non PLA stuff from being cranky.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

mewse posted:

I also got octo4a running on an old android phone (some blackberry model) - and also ran into the same problem with charging and printer not able to be connected at the same time.

In Tom's video showing it off, he wires an external battery charger to his old phone, and that bypasses the problem, but it seems like the no "charging and data at the same time" torpedoes the project for most people. I don't think it's as easy as a splitter cable (I'd be happy if it was, that just hasn't been my experience with usb otg cables).

I'm going to assume that the printers are mostly wired to do just data on the USB port since there's "no reason" to need to provide power.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Word. Yeah both the Mobo and psu have a fan I guess I'll just say fuckit. I'd eventually want to make a fan and duct to put abs smells outside but I'm a long way off from that point.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Me: "Okay got this tiny little micro SD card, house is a mess right now, whatever you do Ethics Gradient, do NOT get sidetracked on the way to the computer and set it down somewhere.

Also me, sitting down at the computer 10 minutes later: "Now where did I put that... :negative:"

This is the second one I've lost that way. I was getting SD Init errors when I tried a 64GB out of my camera (Google suggests Marlin doesn't like high capacity memory cards), luckily I still have my mate's Ender 3 here that I fixed, so I borrowed his for now.

Had left the printer dormant for a couple months while other projects took over. Ran the filament through a cycle or two on the dryer and it spit out a perfect 6.5 hour ABS print, no muss, no fuss. That was a relief.

Lol holy poo poo this is me..
turns on printer.. no media
gently caress.. I stuck the card in my pocket sometime last week when I was going ot print something and now I have no fuckin clue where it is.. and it's all black.. it's probably stuck in my washer drain now.

you can format a new card but gotta split it down to 32gb for FAT32. Just had to do this with a 128gb card

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Petg took me like 3 tries to figure out and man no problems. 80° bed with textured pei and all set stuck like a charm. Released like a charm once it cooled.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nerobro posted:

So we're clear. This right here, is the problem. The "It works for me" versus "this is why it works" leaving anyone who's having trouble just in a lurch.

Here's what works for me on my pei textured plate for overture petg

1. Bed temp of 80. I slowly bumped it till it stuck
2. Glue stick on bed Left over from my first cooler attempt (I did print on a no glue stick area without an issue too).
3. Brim
4. Possibly lower your z a tiny bit.

I also print in my basement that's pretty chilly so having the flex plate cool to like 50f probably helps release.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah sadly I keep hearing creality kind of sucks at QC and quality overall these days so for $99 it okay to get into the world of printing and getting acclimated to fiddling with a printer.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

For a hundred bux with a nearby microcenter yeah go for the ender throw out most of it and replace it with good parts.

The current hotness is the sovol svo6 or the anycubic kobra series.

Highly recommend buying either on Amazon so you get Amazon customer service should you lose the QC lottery.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I haven't had major flaws with it yet.. I've ouly used a tiny bit of 3 of the 10 colors I ordered

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Acid Reflux posted:

I've been bouncing between the IIID Max and GST3D stuff almost exclusively for a couple of years now and don't have any real complaints to speak of. It may not be the absolute best filament on the planet, but it's definitely the best value out there right now, especially if you print a lot.

Overature Prints real nice.. but when you can get 10 rolls for 115 bux.. you cant say no for IIIDmax

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

saw someone on a discord post the saddest lookin benchy ever looked like someone squeeezed a tube of calk onto the bed.

Everyone was trying to help troubleshoot..

Turns out guy just like took some gcode from thangs and put on an SD card and tried to print it. No wonder why it was so hosed.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Oh geez, post the pic

Found it

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Any recommendations for supports with TPU. It really doesn't support ot just becomes part of the print. Especially because in this case it's so close to the build plate and doesn't really go up much.

I tried printing without support and ended up not working great as the bottom right has a little bit of an overhang.

Trying to make a squishy one of these... Which works out okay but not great.
https://www.printables.com/model/320332-cute-cat-loaf

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That's about what I assumed. Guess I'll shave it with an exacto

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

One of the things that kind of kept me from clicking buy on them is the proprietary hot end. I like easy to source parts.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

More about being able to hop on Ali or whatever and order a set of hardened steel or backups in different sizes

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

2 days later finally got mint os running off a USB drive (took a few tries to get partitions right) on a thin client and klipper up and running.

Just waiting on a display port adapter because my HP t520 doesn't like no monitor connection and yells when booting.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bondematt posted:

Overture black PETG on textured PEI

Oh I usually just use some glue stick for petg

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

queeb posted:

aaa my p1p is out for delivery, so exciting!

ITS HAP1PING dot gif

should be awesome.. did you go with the AMS too so you can print eleventy colors?

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 23, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

armorer posted:

Is pronterface still the go to tool for calibrating e steps and such? It's been years since I've needed to do that.

yeah, unless you're doing klipper or something that's probably the easiest to run without a headache.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

Oh poo poo the SV06 is on sale. Do I pull the trigger? Do you need anything besides the unit to get up and running? I assume you get a lil bit of filament with it or no?

Check Amazon. If the price is similar buy there so if you lose the QC Lotto you can return easily.
I got mine it runs well.. no lube needed on bearings. Ran we out of the box.

You will need fillament. Overture pla is the most forgiving of the ones I've tried but once you get into it IIIDMAX is good quality and cheap. I use it a lot to print out a concept before going to something like a color change silk to not waste material from a 30 dollar roll first.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

queeb posted:

About an hour, and I have a little Hyundai so the mileage is good haha.

I am a USA goon living near the border, depending on the bridge you take 20-30 mins. If you don't want to use one of those mailbox drop places send me a pm and I can let you know more..

IIID max stuff is decent it's my go to for regular prints or for mocking poo poo up before I use my expensive silk pla or petg or whatever.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah audible pops can be wet filament.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Up and down

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Welp, today was the day I came into a mess.

[edit - picture]
2) The Control board will come on if I connect via USB. However, I can't get any response from stepper motors or the heaters when I use commands from the menus.
Any suggestions on what to do next? It feels like this is salvageable, but I anticipate it will be tedious.

Often times control boards will light up with 5v power from USB due to poor power seperation on boards.. I actually have a power blocker on my USB port on my klipper PC to prevent this.
Unless it's powered on at the PSU you're not going to get those steppers etc to move because they're getting power from the PSU which is not on.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yes.. how do I get a free prusa Mk4?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Did you set your e steps? :byodood:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I often get something started for maybe 1 hour before bed.. watch and make sure it sticks etc.. then let it ride and either wake up to a sweet rear end print. or spaghettis for breakfast.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bowden tube?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Y'all are really making me try and get a p1p here aren't you?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

that P1s lookin real tempting.. Maybe it'll be a wintertime purchase.

edit: Ohhh 699 is WITHOUT ams.. sooo back to 1k with ams.. I'll hold

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 14, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Every hobby youtube channel is sponsored by squarespace, but most of their websites suck, so maybe not squarespace.

Honestly your best bet is using something like WordPress or another cms... So many e-commerce plugins etc that will help you put all your stuff together and make it the way you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ohh poo poo I have that saw very likely what's the good ones Link.