Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I’m learning 3D printing to fix… antique radios! You’d be surprised what 70 years can do to early plastics.

Anyway, is an Ender 3 Pro still the budget model recommendation for just starting out? I can build one myself if necessary. I built a laser engraver for my wife and the parts look pretty similar, despite being only 2D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Drawing parts from scratch in FreeCAD when you're trying to match measurements from your digital caliper is MUCH easier when you remember the difference between radius and diameter! :eng101:

Seriously, I was staring at the part in my hand and wondering why the model on screen looked so wide, then I drew a cube and it clicked in my brain.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Nerobro posted:

DRO and HSS machining

What do these mean? Is HSS High Speed Steel? Like what drill bits are made out of?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Just how obsolete are Ender 3s? Because I see quite a few on FB Marketplace that come with filament for around $150-200.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
One more question: does 3D printing stink? Heating plastic usually does. Will I have to put this in the basement away from the family?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have been using a Creality Ender-3 S1 and sometimes when I walk into my den where it lives while it's printing, I smell heated plastic. It isn't super strong, but for a moment my brain likes to go "oh god overheating laptop" before I go "oh right". It's not super strong, and usually only happens if I'm doing really long prints.

Sounds like laser engraving then. You engrave something like wood and there sure is a burning smell. That and it's bright! It's bright enough to be annoying if you're in the same room. You don't even have to look directly at it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Well shoot. I was all set to buy the Sovol SV07 and I see on Sovol's home page that the SV07 :siren: PLUS :siren: is being released in a few hours. I wonder if it will be worth it?

edit: I was looking at the specs and it just appears to be larger, with a larger print volume? Is that it?

And what the hell is up with this stupid boat? I've seen this on 3 different sites now and I've only been looking at 3D printers for 3 days now.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 28, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
If I get a Sovol, do I want the optional 6 piece hardened steel nozzles?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 28, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

deimos posted:

Save on hardened steel nozzles, join the cult of Bozzle.

Wtf is a bozzle?

And is a head crash exactly what it sounds like? The print head contacting the part?

This talk about tips reminds me of soldering.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Tungsten carbide??? Speaking of drill bits...

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Alright, I ordered the Sovol SV07. I like that wifi feature. That will help with where I decide to put the drat thing.

What do I need to know before I order filament?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What about suppliers? Is there anyone reputable in the US or do I just buy whatever from Amazon?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Ok I promise this is my last question. How do I pick out a good spot to put my 3D printer? Keep in mind I ordered one with WiFi.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Anywhere with decent wifi, a table that isn't super shaky, and is big enough to put a 24x24 paving stone on.

That's what I was getting at. I'll find a shelf in the basement that's sturdy. Maybe on top of my 4 drawer file cabinet. Thing's all steel and sturdy as gently caress. It was a bitch getting it down there in the first place.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What's the best slicer to use in 2023? OP hasn't been updated in a year and a half.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Here4DaGangBang posted:

And like I said, in my particular case, with the last filament I printed with, it was causing me nose/throat irritation which indicates to me that whatever was coming from my printer on that occasion is probably not great to expose myself to repeatedly or for long periods of time. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I got 2 kids in grade school. Nose/throat irritation is the norm now that school started up again. Schools are germ warfare labs and no one can convince me otherwise.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I'm setting up my brand new Sovol SV07 and I can't figure it out. First, I'm supposed to tighten the bed down all the way, then back off 2 turns in each corner, which I've done. I'm supposed to use a sheet of paper for the Z Calibrate. According to the documentation, I'm supposed to move the nozzle down until it just contacts the paper and it's hard to slide the paper in and out. Well, I've gone down all the way I can adjust it on the touchscreen and the nozzle is nowhere close to the paper. What should I do? This Sovol isn't impressing me so far.

And what about the accelerometer they gave me as a part? According to the book, it can be installed in either of 2 locations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Acid Reflux posted:

I don't have an 07, but the basic procedure has always been the same for their other printers - home the axes, run the auto leveling routine, home again, and then tweak the Z offset (which is where the paper comes in).

I did find this video, it's by a fairly active member of the Sovol FB group who does a lot of good things and has a lot of good knowledge. I haven't watched it all the way through, but hopefully it can help answer some of your questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYWFMb-3QeU

(edit) - If you're trying to move the Z axis down manually before doing an auto-home, you may not be able to hit the bed at all. A lot of printers with ABL don't allow you to run Z down more than a little bit prior to knowing exactly where the bed surface is, and letting the Z probe find it with the auto-home routine is generally the way it does that. It's to help prevent crashing the nozzle into the bed.

Too late. I think I already had a head crash. Keep in mind I've only been trying to do the start up calibration and the printer did this on its own:

Am I screwed?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Where is your actual bed surface? Looks like that’s the magnet meant to hold a spring steel sheet?

Over to the side. I put it back after this.

Now when I try to do the Z tilt, the printing head just goes back and forth until the screen says "retries aborting: Probed points range is increasing."

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Finally! I got it printing from the examples on the included USB drive :toot:

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 1, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is the proximity sensor damaged or disconnected? If it crashed into the build plate that leads me to think there was a problem with the proximity sensor not detecting and then it kept going.

I did a factory reset and that seems to have taken care of it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

:lol:

In other news, I made my first Benchy and already had my first bad print! My first custom creation, not Benchy. It came detached from the bottom and the head just dragged it around.

My kids already discovered that Benchy doesn't float. Good model, bad boat. I will admit it now, Benchy is NOT stupid.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Alright, I need help. My first custom print and it keeps snapping off the bed. I admit, it's narrow at the bottom, maybe 10mm. It was the only flat part of my model. Does anyone have some ideas?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

So just add a cylinder to the bottom? How do I get it off later?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

BlackIronHeart posted:

What slicer are you using?

Cura.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
How do I get the fancypants wifi working on my Sovol SV07?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kid sinister posted:

How do I get the fancypants wifi working on my Sovol SV07?

Anybody?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

tater_salad posted:

Just use the touchscreen? I dunno. I assume.you have the ability to interact with it.

That part was easy. How do I get Cura to see it?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I figured out how the wifi works on the Sovol SV07. The printer itself has a web interface. You're able to drag and drop files on the web interface.

Edit: oh yeah, forgot to mention, you need to have a USB drive plugged into the Sovol.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 3, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Any FreeCAD experts here? I'm trying to cut away a Sketch from a Pad. I can't figure out how to do it though. I think it's because the cut away sections are on the outside?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Arcsech posted:

I can’t tell exactly what problem you’re having from this post. Are you looking for the cut button? Does it error when you try? If so, what does the error say?

Never mind, I figured it out. Delete the pad, delete the outer lines, then Pad the remaining shape.

I was trying to get the shape in the middle. Here's what I got. Now to adjust the thickness...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Thanks for the help, everybody! This is what you helped me fix, a 75 year old radio.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Javid posted:

Is the gold cone thing it's attached to also a print?

Sure is. My first two designed parts. That only took several... dozen attempts to get right. For what it's worth, the other side looks better. This is a rotary dial. It's possible to turn 180 degrees.

How do I tune it?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 4, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Javid posted:

Gold cone looks fine, I can't tell if you're using a giant layer height or the part is supposed to have the ringed steps in it but that could maybe be smoother if you want it to be.

Eh. I might leave the cone. The radio case is actually kind of art deco and it fits.

Let me try adjusting the first layer myself instead of letting the printer find it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Javid posted:

Yeah, the layer lines actually look like I would expect that knob to look. Only that it was not dirty gave it away as a new addition. I like it.

At a certain point it is easier to just adjust the bed around the nozzle rather than self-flagellating by fighting with configs and firmware, imo. Good luck

I just realized the filament color I picked matches the numbers. Nice coincidence!

edit: Does fixing the first layer height affect the rest?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I printed the red piece again. The bottom looks great! It's just the top that looks so wonky.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Javid posted:

show us, "looks wonky" doesn't help us help you fix it

Looks wonky = it looks like the same picture as before, the one you complained about. The first layer comes out beautifully. Is it because this part is so thin?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
No idea man. I just work here.

Is this a nozzle thing? I'm still using the factory installed one. I haven't even taken it out to see the size. I did come with a spare 0.4.

Do I have to match that size in the slicer?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I need to recalibrate this thing. I'm trying to do Z Calibrate with adjusting it to just touch a sheet of paper, but I can't get my nozzle to go low enough before the printer says "out of bounds". What am I doing wrong?

edit: never mind, a factory reset fixed it

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Is there any difference between nozzle materials regarding print resolution? Or does that come down to the aperture size?