Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hello friends! I'm joining the hobby. I have a several year old ender 3 pro now that I bought off a buddy for 100 bucks since he upgraded to a bigger printer, and after loving around with it for a couple days I have it pretty dialed in.

before/after

im pretty happy since i have no clue what im doing, but i did some research and replaced the nozzle, cleaned the bowden tube/headend out, calibrated the e-steps, burned my fingers a ton and bam, it printed amazingly. Feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

question for anyone whos printed dungeon tiles before. what can i do for prints where its legit printing over open air:

this is the dungeon tile from openforge, and at that step it just prints over open air, and when it hit that part it printed and just drooped down into the area between the supports. People print these so there must be a setting or something im missing? some people say theyve printed with like 5% infill which seems impossible.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ah its just the color for bridge infill in prusaslicer. its just that its not bridging, its just trying to print over open air and it just... drops filament into the hole between supports lol.

thats the one i just printed.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

w00tmonger posted:

I've done tiles with gyroid at 5% fine. First layer or 2 on top might be funky, but worst case another top layer of 2 should do the trick.

Otherwise try dialing in filament to improve bridging (increase cooling?)

ill give it a try with gyroid and just let er rip.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i stopped that print early because i was freaking out. but im letting one run now and its completely fine after like 3 top layers.

3d printing is stressful.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

here's the result of that print:

thats with 5 top layers. Looks like im under extruding maybe a bit on the top? maybe ill try printing a bit hotter, that was at 200.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i think i did my e-step calibration and calibration cube at 210, and this print in cura defaulted to 200 so, possibly that?

also its an old printer, and i think the gear on the extruder motor thing is pretty worn. i ordered a new metal one that should come today so that may help as well.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i set mine via the e-steps/mm right on the ender 3 firmware, and stored settings. i believe it was 113.6 or something. its mid print but ill verify it saved after.

and yeah, prusa seems really good from what i tried of it. i saw that cura has dynamic layer adjusting which is neat, but looks like prusa can manually do it?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

uhh yeah. so i stored the settings when i changed it, though i turned off the printer last night and i guess it didnt actually store it? it was back to 93.

that'd do it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

mewse posted:

The only way to fix it ultra permanently is to recompile marlin and flash the updated firmware to the control board. For now it will be significantly easier if you just put a M92 E### into your start g-code in the "printer" settings in prusa slicer.

oh poo poo sweet, I didnt even know that was a thing. So much to learn.

much better with the correct settings lol.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this could be the cause of some of my weird extrusion as well. poo poo that thing is worn.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Acid Reflux posted:

I was going to say that 113 steps is an unusually high number for that type of extruder (they typically fall between 95-100), but ahhhh... yeah, that explains everything. You definitely did good to order a new one.

the joys of an old used printer. definitely making use of my troubleshooting skills! My model of the ender 3 pro is an older one where that gear is like, crimped onto the axel thing so you cant even take it off to replace it, i just had to order an entirely new motor. Luckily i can get one tomorrow via amazon.

what is a reccomended new printer nowadays anyways? I might take a shot at selling some stuff on etsy/FB marketplace and all that and having 2 printers going would be good. I was looking at the prusa mini, it has good reviews. the Prusa MK3 also looks nice but thats out of my price range i think.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i got sick my my old used ender 3 needing an amazon purchase whenever i go to fix something, beacuse a part doesnt fit or something, so yeah.

was a fun couple hours to assemble!

edit: jesus watching this thing work next to my ender 3 is like night and day, holy poo poo its fast and smooth, ripping through a benchy right now.

queeb fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 10, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ilkhan posted:

That's a Prusa mini, right?

yup!

the print space actually wasnt as bad as i was thinking, its more than big enough for most stuff. and my god its fast.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hello friends! I'm doing some D&D terrain but i want to just toss like, some cylenders inside the bases of these so i can drop some 5mm magnets in and then print over top so theyre sealed in there, whats the best program to do that quickly?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Doctor Zero posted:

Is there a reason you want them sealed? You could just make holes in the bottom and glue them in. Would be less fiddly.

Although if you do the embedded thing, you may want to consider spherical magnets in a cavity that doesn't keep them from spinning. Then you don't have to worry about polarity as they'll just rotate as they need to. Not that I haven't actually done it myself, but I've heard other people say that it works.

Yup, going for the spherical ones, I have a bunch of 5mm ones here to use, figure it'd be a fun way to learn how to remix stls. I'll try some of the suggested programs!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

what do you guys think enough tolerance is to let a 5mm ball magnet rotate in a cylinder would be? 5.2mm?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

3d builder seems really easy to use. But when adding a cylinder to a print, im guessing im missing something basic because i get the below instead of an independent circle

because im basically just adding more solid to the model im guessing, instead of it being an independent part

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im getting closer!

i think my walls are too narrow on the hollow cylender i used in tinkercad so the backs of all of them are open.. i think i had it at .5mm thick on the wall so, might need to go a bit larger so the slicer can see its a wall to enclose?

queeb fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 17, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i gotta say, 3d printing fuckin owns. i printed and painted this poo poo over the last week and im in love. my printers are running like 20 hours a day right now lol

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Opinionated posted:

Looks really great, nice job! Makes me want to learn how to paint

thanks! thats the first thing ive ever painted, so you can do it! I just watched a ton of youtube tutorials and started throwing paint at it, and hey, results came out well!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

welp I sold a couple things on etsy for D&D from my 3d printers so my wife agreed that getting a resin printer and selling lots of mini's might be good (and we can print a bunch for ourselves) so i have a mono x on the way, hell yeah. Signed up for the artisans guild/lord of the print/epic miniatures patreons too because they all poo poo out great minis.

there's never been a better time to be a nerd.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

speaking of making your hobby a job, i put some random D&D tiles and stuff on etsy, like what i posted earlier, and now i've sold 650 bucks worth of stuff in a week and i need to buy a third printer lol.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ive even been having issues with matte filament for some reason, just straight up normal poo poo seems the best.

i jsut fired up my resin printer for the first time for a test print on a sweet snake dude, cant wait to see if it works!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Wow resin printing is a whole new beast, I've had like 50% of my prints fail using the same settings as ones that don't. I need to figure out the support stuff because pre-supported stuff doesn't seem like it's a guarantee. My first layers and stuff stick like crazy but stuff falls off the supports, or parts of the model do while others don't and I get some grotesque looking minis lol.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

resin printing is so drat cool.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I feel like I need to take a loving college course on how to support a resin mini

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Well I've sold over 1200 bucks in 3d printed dnd terrain, and resin printed minis in like 3 weeks. I'm going from an ender 3, added a prusa mini, added a anycubic mono x, now I'm probably adding another 2 ender 3s. gently caress, I think I have to start a small business and track this for tax purposes.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

If you guys were going to add a third 3d printer to your setup what would it be? I have a mini and an ender 3. I was looking at a mk3s but I could get 2.5 ender 3 v2s for that kind of money. I'm mainly printing dnd terrain so just speed and volume is all I need

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Hadlock posted:

ender max neo, it is a bit more expensive, and you probably won't use the Z axis, but you can print 2-3 terrain pieces in one go, rather than 1-2, so it would be like buying a third and fourth printer, for not much more money, plus, uses only about 10% more desk space than a single "regular" ender 3 v2

I love my ender 3 v2, but I really regret not getting the larger build plate "max" model

Hmm, the ender 3 here on Amazon is 290, and a ender neo max is 579, I could just buy 2 ender 3s for that haha.

Though I'd need to buy 2 cl touch for those which would add like 150

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

store update: I've made 23 sales, i have 8 orders backlogged, my mono x has been running no stop, people love their mini's and terrain painted, and this went way better than i expected it to. Mini's are selling way more than any PLA terrain so i may pivot to that primarily, but we'll see. Resin printing really is amazing with the results you can get.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Doctor Zero posted:

I wouldn’t pivot. I still get really big FDM orders, just not as often. It’s worth keeping some capacity.

You say you print painted terrain? Is it worth it? I’ve been thinking about at least offering priming since it’s seen others do it, but I’m it sure I want to take the time.

I really like doing it as a hobby and i was doing it myself for my own stuff, so making an extra ~100+ bucks an order to paint up a set is fine with me, lets me work on my skills and all that.

and then someone bought ~150 (small) tiles off me and wanted them painted, its a lot of work so i just threw out a really high number because i didnt reaaaly want to do it super bad so i wouldnt be upset if they said no, and then:

so i feel like its worth it if you find the right person haha.

edit: that was after paying ~200 for the terrain stuff.

queeb fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 2, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

well poo poo, though all in shes in for almost a grand in stuff shes bough from me so I'm ok with it so far hahah, i didnt expect to make any money let alone have 22 sales that are probably average over $100 each, its moves real fast.

people love their minis and custom D&D stuff.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i ended up dropping 400 bucks of what i've gotten off etsy into buying a licence to sell https://www.infinitedimensions.ca stuff, hoping that pays dividends because their stuff is insanely dope.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

3d print shop update, I reached out to a few hobby/ttrpg shops in the area just to see if any were in the market for minis or terrain. One reached out interested in a few things, we got to chatting, turns out they used to run a really successful Etsy shop as well, had a partner that ran the printing side whike they did the e- commerce stuff, and 50/50 split the profits. I guess a year ago their partner pulled out due to personal reasons so the whole thing has been on hold. I'm going to run a few things off for them, if things go well there may be a bit of a business relationship going on!!

Being proactive really pays off sometimes.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah honestly doing the Etsy thing with listings and tags and descriptions and then trying to post poo poo for Instagram and other social media BS is a huge pain. It's working out so far but I have a newfound respect for people who do it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

God I tried water washable resin and why didn't I do this sooner, gently caress dealing with IPA and all that

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

w00tmonger posted:

Here's the thing. Water washable resin tends to be much more fragile, and you still need to dispose of the water that's touched the resin as if it were ipa

Hopefully, your not rinsing your minis off in the sink

funnily enough i havent noticed any fragility, and ive printed some intricate stuff, little swords and all that which hold up no problem to a bit of bend and stuff. Maybe its the way i cure them with the anycubic curing station which has some intensly bright UV lights.

And yeah for disposal i treat it the same, ill let the resin settle in the sunlight for a week or two, then let the water evaporate and dispose of the leftover resin in the garbage.

Its just being able to just fill up my wash station to the brim and put the whole build plate in to rinse is a huuuuge time saver, and way cleaner than prying the models off of the resin covered plate and getting poo poo everywhere.

do you guys scrub your models at all while rinsing them like with a toothbrush or something? I get some like, shiny parts on some of my models that look like there was uncured resin on it possibly, looks like you could peel it off except its hardened on there. I havent been giving them a little scrub so maybe just rinsing isnt getting it all off or something.

queeb fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 23, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

As of now I've made more money on Etsy in the last 30 days than my actual day job. Kinda crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Just random dnd resin minis and 3d printed terrain. No idea why it's selling so crazy aside from Christmas coming I guess. But man, I'm doing multiple sales per day every day. Like 140+ dollar 3d printed buildings and stuff. I'm going to pick up a 4th ender 3 to keep up.