Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Why do I feel a strong troll urge coming on.

I mean.. if the community thinks the klipper guys can be annoying..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

My Prusa MK3+ has become my workhorse for that stuff.

Edit: hmmm I looked up a Voron 2.4 build manual and … it looks pretty straightforward??? I built my Prusa MK3 and it wasn’t too bad. This seems about the same level of complexity with the exception of not getting pre-printed parts. Is that accurate? Having done that, I probably won’t have too much trouble, right?

If you're seriously considering it I'd recommend Tom Sanladerer's live stream build. It will take hours + hours to watch but you will see the gotchas he ran into, and it is significantly more complex to build than the MK3. He also had a custom wiring harness built for him which might be something most people have to do themselves.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Cool thanks. I was thinking to make this sort of a long term, take my time thing.

What is more complicated, the wiring? I can handle that and a soldering iron.

I haven't built one myself, just watched maybe half the stream, the most complicated parts seemed like doing the wiring and the heat-set inserts in a lot of parts. Also the heat bed is so powerful it warped the acrylic panel on the bottom of Tom's printer.. if I were building it I'd probably go with a high flow dragon hot end rather than the sponsored one Tom used

mewse
May 2, 2006

Acid Reflux posted:

LOL

I use an Ender 3 Pro in a production environment. It runs prototype/stand-in parts for custom avionics installations in aircraft, and is actually doing so right this very moment. There's nothing toy-like about it. It's a working machine and it never fails to deliver.

What filament are you running?

mewse
May 2, 2006

withak posted:

What is the rate of change of jerk called.

I think after jerk it's (not a joke) snap crackle and pop

mewse
May 2, 2006

smax posted:

Ugh. My Prusa MK3S+ sat for about 3 months and is now giving me fits. I'm trying to print some fairly simple brackets and it's making me want to pull my hair out. The thing printed great the last time I used it, and is generally stock on the parts that matter, aside from a Nozzle X with a hot end sock.

-Random layer shifts along the Y axis.
-Somehow, the infill pattern will shift about 1-2mm along the Y axis, but the perimeters are fine. It'll do this consistently enough that this feels different from a typical layer shift where everything moves the same way.
-To remove some variables, I tried to print a Benchy from SD card. I got similar layer shifting issues on the first half, then the extruder started slipping on the filament to the point it wasn't feeding anything and the print completely failed.

I've never had either the layer shifting or extruder slipping problems before. My first thought is to adjust the tension on both slightly, but I'm looking for some other ideas if anyone has thoughts.

I had to loctite the grub screw on the Y-axis belt pulley when that happened to me. Pre-built Prusa MK2S

mewse
May 2, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not sure if this is a dumb question but the problem is that when I try to google this I'm either finding old information or people saying "Don't do it like that, do it like this." I just got my Ender 3 set up again after a move, but I can't find the USB - Micro SD adapter, the Micro SD card was still in the printer. I've got a USB cable I can use to connect to the Ender 3 but I'm not sure how to send the print over that. Everyone is saying to use the SD card, but the problem is that the nearest place that even might have either a USB to Micro SD adapter or a Micro SD to SD adapter is about 30 minutes away, if not maybe a bit more. So I would really prefer to order an adapter and just make do with a USB cable until it gets here. I know that if the computer goes to sleep that can kill the print, but the first thing I'm doing is just checking the bed leveling, then I'll be doing a prototype of a part that will take 2 hours, and I'll be on the computer all day so it's not an issue.

Printer: Ender 3 Pro
Slicer: Prusa Slicer

If you hook up a computer directly to the printer via usb you can use something like pronterface to drip feed the gcode file to the printer via the serial interface. Ender 3 pro baud rate is apparently 250000

mewse
May 2, 2006

The USB serial interface is also how octoprint delivers gcode to the printer which might be worth looking into since you're bypassing the sd card anyway :getin:

mewse
May 2, 2006

poverty goat posted:

You all should be ashamed of yourselves for putting up w/ this poo poo and not returning this garbage immediately.

Ah yes all those posts about creality being 100% flawless, we should be ashamed of ourselves

mewse
May 2, 2006

Unperson_47 posted:

I just recently came back to 3D printing after about a year and I'm looking to buy some filament. What manufacturers do y'all recommend? I'm looking for 1.75mm ABS so I can smooth the finished prints in an acetone vapor chamber.

I seem to remember one brand that everyone was pretty crazy for that had a dog as its mascot but I can't place the name off-hand.

I've found esun abs+ to be the nicest to print after being recommended by someone here. Has less warpage than standard abs. Other brands probably have similar formulations now

mewse
May 2, 2006

I burned up a controller board on my hypercube build trying to install tmc2100 drivers into it.

Anyone have a suggestion for a really simple/cheap board that will run marlin 2.0 or reprap firmware with tmc drivers? The requirements are modest: 2 motor corexy, single Z motor, I'd like to have "smart" hot end fan in addition to part cooling fan.

I actually ordered a "Cloned Duet 2 Wifi V1.04" but it never shipped and I got a refund, wondering if there's something better.

mewse
May 2, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

First thing to do is figure out how you did this, otherwise it won't matter what board you purchase because you'll likely repeat the mistake.

It wasn't software, I wasn't setting the jumpers properly or putting the driver board in the correct direction and shocker something shorted out

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nerobro posted:

I want to know more about the makergear micro 3d printer. Anyone have any leads on it?

Looks like this github repo has details:

https://github.com/MakerGear/MakerGear_Micro

mewse
May 2, 2006

snail posted:

I think I'll make one for the fun of it. I don't know what else to do with the remains of my departed printers.

Have you figured out dimensions of the print bed? It doesn't seem to be listed in the install instructions other than saying it's sanded acrylic. I don't think it's heated either

mewse
May 2, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Kind of looks like there isn't an unthreaded section after the heatsink at all... Not sure what this means exactly or if this is just how Monoprice mini v2's come assembled?

Maybe it's a v5 clone rather than a v6? That heat break sucks though

mewse
May 2, 2006

Even the V5 had a narrow throat between the hot side / cold side on the heat break. I've never seen a nut used as a spacer on a heatbreak, that seems like a miserable cost cutting measure. If you swap for a ubiquitous v6 clone you won't have to worry about nozzle length ever again.

mewse
May 2, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

My main issue is just stringing, do you think it could help in this case?

That printer you have uses a bowden setup (extruder motor is separated from the hot end via a teflon tube) and it could be your retraction setting causing the stringing. 5mm retraction used to be recommended for bowden setups, although I think it's lower for ender 3 types because the extruder motor rides the x carriage and the bowden tube is shorter.

But the nozzle sticking that far out of the hot end is not good for thermals.

mewse
May 2, 2006

If you’re setting up in the laundry room then piping into the dryer vent is probably the easiest way to send air outside

mewse
May 2, 2006

Deviant posted:

and i'm wondering what could provoke that.

Maybe globs accumulating on the nozzle and getting trapped in the part, could be overextrusion

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tom's latest video is super interesting, you can repurpose old android phones as octoprint hosts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74xdib_-X38

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I now think I got a defective fan from the beginning because a lot of times when I ran the self test, it would ask me if both fans were spinning and then just said everything was fine when I entered in "yes". Every time except one, both fans were spinning.

You may have had a defective 5015 from the start but that part of the self-test is just because the electronics don't read the tachometer wire coming from the fan so they get you to visually confirm that they're spinning

mewse
May 2, 2006

Deviant posted:

Have they changed this? Neither of my prusas ever asked me if the fans were spinning, they autodetected.

Oh it might've changed for the mk3 control board, my experience was with mk2/mk2.5

mewse
May 2, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any resources out there for aftermarket fan designs for the Ender 3? I swear I have an extra itsy bitsy fan around here somewhere and it would be nice to print a shroud that cools the heatsink and the part on separate fans so I can fine-tune high temperature filaments. I'm sure there's a lot out there but fluid dynamics is a specialized field and a lot of stuff for printers is just made because it looks cool.

Ender 3 has separate hot end and part cooling fans already. The hot end heatsink fan is a standard 4010 and the part cooling is a less common 40mm blower. On the ender 3 v2 they're 24v which is less common. A satsana fan duct is a very easy upgrade to the stock shroud, I recently put one on my voxelab aquila (ender 3 v2 clone).

mewse
May 2, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I guess I should probably be printing out of ABS or some other high-temp filament given the amount of hot air that will be flowing through these and the proximity to the hotend?

Satsana in particular is fine as PLA, the ducts aren't close enough to the hot end to warp, and the heat block should have a silicone sock

mewse
May 2, 2006

GotDonuts posted:

https://www.amazon.com/WINSINN-Cooling-Creality-Brushless-Hydraulic/dp/B07NQ2B11H?th=1

Would something like this work well, figured if I am replacing the one fan I might as well fix the other.

Should work, I watched a set of youtube vids on the voxelab aquila where he installed rgb winnsinn fans and made the printer noticeably quieter

mewse
May 2, 2006

Roundboy posted:

but when it gets to the ender (3v2 board revision 4.2.2) it simply can't do those movements so its internally translated to small x/y movements anyway.

... all movements will eventually get translated to small x/y movements on a cartesian machine.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Right, but any controller worth using can do the math to produce a much smoother arc than most slicers will output without producing ridiculously long strings of code output.

I'm just taking issue with the "klipper is doing magic" thing when a 32-bit control board not running klipper can interpolate an arc just fine

mewse
May 2, 2006

Deviant posted:

Right then. I in theory need $num_printers * (raspi setup + c270 camera), then. Anything else?

I guess this sorta nixes the mk3s power panic recovery, doesn't it? I have a UPS in that room, so I think it won't be an issue, but I need to check

Edit: I am discovering that I already should have (but haven't) turn off power panic because apparently the UPS sine wave power triggers it anyway.

If you're just reading anecdotes about power panic I think you should just get your setup going and then try pulling the power cord from the wall and see what happens. I wouldn't trust random guy on the internet for their opinion on how the feature is going to function.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The core functionality of octoprint is sending text over a serial connection so...

mewse
May 2, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Seems pretty straightforward but I want to make sure I don't mess this up. Obviously the copper bit goes into the heatsink (smooth side in), but I'm not so sure about the top, Do I just put that black cap with the orange clip in the top? It will fit and I've already tried, but I have a hard time getting the filament tube into it after that so I'm questioning whether or not I'm missing something here. My old heatsink has a little bowden adapter that's screwed into the top, that existing adapter doesn't screw into the new one so I'm out of luck there.

The little black collar thing is a flush(ish) bowden fitting that they moved to with the v6 to get away with those screw-in pneumatic couplers, you aren't missing something.

If the shorter threaded end of the heatbreak threads into the existing heat block then you're probably fine to keep using it.

I'd advise referring to the official v6 assembly instructions, tightening the nozzle against the heatbreak while hot and assembled inside the heater block is an important part of the process that's best described in the official docs.

mewse
May 2, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I did a bit more fiddling with my new heatsink/heatbreak. I took off the covering on the heatblock so I could see the small gap a bit more clearly and to make sure it wasn't actually touching, the gap's small but maybe that's fine?

That insulation was going to protect the plastic shroud from warping near the heater block.

Can you lower the Z endstop rather than getting longer bed screws?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Time to flush all the orbeez I use to dry my filament down the crapper. What could go wrong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTSJetzqLIE

Holy poo poo

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't know anybody that bothers with 3rd party enclosures that can speak to whether that thing will dampen the noise any more than popping the printer into a $20 popup greenhouse (the kind intended for single plants).

The creality soft enclosure probably fits a prusa fine too, cheaper than that french kit

mewse
May 2, 2006

Noise can't travel through a vacuum, do you have a vacuum?

mewse
May 2, 2006

One of the main E3D guys passed away :(

https://e3d-online.com/blogs/news/sanjaymortimer

mewse
May 2, 2006

Morbid curiosity has me wondering what the cause was, he was only 32.

There's the big obvious one that is usually safe to assume when cause of death isn't mentioned, but I do hope that's not what happened, he was always so kind when doing interviews for youtube

mewse
May 2, 2006

Roundboy posted:

Watching a voron build with Thomas Sanladerer has me really, REALLY inspired. I see some of the issues he has with cheap kits, and the voron site itself puts out a decent packing list of the screws and things you need. I don't mind sourcing things as needed to slowly gather it all together, but is there a good resource to help me determine what is low vs high quality parts and where its needed? I get I can aliexpress the 2 kg of screws needed, but will i die in a fire if I get the aluminum extruded frames from them as well?

The formbot kit seemed kinda 'meh', and i haven't even begun to decide what hotend,boards, etc to even use, so slow gathering of parts is not a problem.

The voron sourcing page also had nice links, but only lists 200m extrusions when i need 350+ (might as well go big) . Is it even worth trying to source of of the little bits like bearings , etc rather then just get a good bundle? I am gathering all my links and doing my reading, but some knowledge from people that had trouble with 'x' or wish they did 'y' is nice

I built a prusa mk2 clone using Tom's "dolly" build as a guide and it was a big pain in the rear end getting all the small parts from different aliexpress vendors. I think you probably want to start with a kit just so you at least have the frame and fasteners (mostly) covered.

Trianglelabs on aliexpress seems to be highly regarded for cheap+good hot end/extruder parts.

mewse fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 1, 2021

mewse
May 2, 2006

Roundboy posted:

Its been said, but its also important on small areas the nozzle stays over (think the smoke stack on a benchy) it needs cooling to prevent just the proximity of the nozzle making it a melty mess.

Yeah especially for PLA you want the plastic solidifying almost as soon as it leaves the nozzle, an aggressive part cooling fan gives better prints. For ABS you want it toned down to get better layer adhesion and less warping. Slicer pre-sets usually have good starting points for the different materials.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vaporware posted:

If I want to go to microcenter and get a microswiss mk8 0.8 nozzle, I assume it's a decent quality? I don't feel like trying to get anything shipped right now, and I want to print faster

Try 0.6 first.. using the area of a circle calculation, 0.4 is 0.50mm^2 and 0.6 is 1.13mm^2, ie. more than double. 0.8 is 2.0mm^2, quadruple the hole size.

Haven't heard complaints about microswiss quality, just the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is that right? Is there a dummies guide that goes a bit more in-depth into what's going on in there? Like I say, I've no particular reason to ask, I just like to be able to visualise how systems work to help me when they suddenly don't work.

When the heat break / heat sink aren't working properly it causes a problem called heat creep where the melt happens further up the assembly and causes unpredictable results.

I don't know of any docs/videos that go into more detail than what you've written up, but CNC kitchen has made some videos recently on high flow setups (beginning with the new bondtech CHT nozzle) that really exhibits how they fail when you push them to their limits w/r/t flow rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNJdv5bFGOg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWDErj-pE1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdndOILeaIo