Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

jng2058 posted:

I dunno, for a supposedly non-spoiler thread you're giving away a lot of information that doesn't get revealed for many books. I'd recommend cutting your history down to just "things begin in an isolated small town called Emond's Field" and let the show introduce the concepts you mention in it's own time and way. The whole point of a non-spoiler thread is to only talk about what's been shown on the screen.

That was my first thought reading the op as well. A lot of the history of the setting, at least early on in the books, is told by unreliable sources and we don't get a clear idea of who the goodies and baddies were and are until events are set in motion and we get to see more of the world.

Sorry OP, not trying to nitpick :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Natural 20 posted:

I am absolutely convinced that this series should be an anime and that there's no way to do the magic justice in a medium outside of animation.

That said I'm also super excited to see it in live action.

This is my opinion as well. Even the highest budget live action + cgi adaptation will never be as good as even a mediocre animated series could be. Fantasy and sci-fi in general really need to start going this way, animated adaptations are a much better way to translate scale and style. Take Into The Spider-Verse versus all those other MCU films, it ain't even close which one looks better and is a better use of the medium.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

latinotwink1997 posted:

I’d be ok with WoT animation in the realm of Final Fantasy movies with the attention to detail and more natural colors or something like that. Less realistic animation like Castlevania/Invincible wouldn’t do it for me, just feels too cartoony.

Like it or not, the Wheel of Time is an anime at heart

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I think it'll be quite good for what it is, given how much love is clearly going into it from the whole cast and crew. There's no way it's going to live up to the expectations of most of the fans, though. There's just no way to reasonably adapt such a sprawling tale without compressing or cutting out most of it. I'm doing my best to keep my hype levels at minimum so that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I've been pissing and moaning about how dull and not colorful media has been for years, everything's always grey or all graded into some kind of monochrome. I'm very ready for something that has lots of bright colors, magic, epic fantasy! Big bright and bold is what I've been hoping for from this show and it looks like they might actually deliver

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The more times I watch it the more I like it, I'm afraid that my carefully cultivated un-hype is crumbling away

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

El Grillo posted:

Basically all the voices all having standard posh RP 'I went straight from RADA to Hollywood' accents isn't great.

I disagree with most of your post but I think we can agree on this point. I'm getting pretty sick of fantasy=non specific english accents for everyone.

Hopefully we get proper southern drawls when appropriate in an upcoming season, though.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah I've got a feeling that just about everything we saw in the trailer is from the first three episodes that are gonna drop together. Ogier, The Ways, Fal Dara, the Blight, there's plenty of cool stuff to come.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

On the other hand, take the Expanse. While events are largely the same, plotlines and characters are rearranged and condensed into more streamlined storylines with gripping interpersonal drama replacing being inside our PoV's head. They added a whole new storyline in the first season of a beloved character from the second book to show the larger political situation in the system. They pulled forward a lot of character development beats from later books so that there weren't any characters stuck treading water while the mains are set up. The show and the books are fairly different stories at this point, but they're both really good and are each suited to their medium. I'm hoping WoT gets this balance right.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Upgrade posted:

I'm also really curious how explicit the series is gonna be. The book is pretty tame (except for the Very Bad Mat scene), but if this is being positioned as a GOT -type show, I could see them trying to sex/gore it up.

There's a whole bunch of gore in the books what are you talking about. There's quite a bit of (implied) sexual violence happening as well, mostly off screen. RJ doesn't revel in the details as much as some but it's absolutely still there.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Bongo Bill posted:

What does Dungeons & Dragons have to do with the writers' room on that other show?

It was all based on a tabletop game that they were playing, any similarities to a popular series of books were entirely coincidental

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

feedmyleg posted:

I want fantasy shows to look like the fantasy art I grew up with. Bright, colorful, clean, weird. If anything, it's the last one that these shows never really hit for me. But dirt and grime? Why should realism be the goal with fantasy? This show doesn't take place in medieval Europe and has no need for historical accuracy because that term doesn't apply to this world. The grime worked for Game of Thrones because that show was about the ugliness inherent to that world. I don't want "grounded" fantasy. I want fantastical fantasy.

I've been shouting this from rooftops for years. I'm so sick of everything needing to be dirty, gritty, and grey to be considered art for grownups. I have enough dystopian misery in my real life thank you very much, gimme bright colors and fantastical imagery.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Sab669 posted:

Apparently Sanderson was discussing the trailer (as well just his general existence in relation to the show) on one of his recent livestreams -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi4AR2vnjwg&t=620s

"The changes are larger than those with Game of Thrones, and it'd be best if fans view this adaptation as a different turning of the wheel from the books"

That all tracks. His analogy with Lord of the Rings is pretty apt, I think. There's plenty of fans who howled about Tom Bombadil being cut, and a minority who still grumble about it even today, but most folks adjusted themselves and enjoyed it for what it was. I'm optimistic the WoT fan base can do the same. There's always the chance that the cast or the sfx could totally fumble this thing but at this point I'm just happy to see what they've made

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

One's got [SPOILERS] at the end and one doesn't hth

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

That's an ill omen. Even in the best circumstances, recasting one of the main characters could kill a show. Finding out about this before the first season has even aired is going to make watching it weird

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Fantasy means everyone speaks in non specific British Accents duh

I find this very irritating but I didn't expect WoT to buck this particular trend anyway so meh

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah I can never pay attention to audiobooks, if I'm doing something else then inevitably I'll zone out and need to rewind it constantly and if I'm just gonna sit still and listen I'd rather just read the words myself. I read pretty quickly so I'm nuts about long series, I've probably read this one 3 or 4 times through

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Amazon has a new interactive page up for the show. There's a map!

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Time-Season-1/dp/B09F59CZ7R

Am I missing a button or something? All I see is the teaser trailer and that Moiraine short that released a few days ago

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Weird, I'm definitely logged into prime but I'm just seeing the same show page that I've been seeing. I'll look into it

Edit: other people have reported issues viewing the new stuff in Chrome, it's probably getting rolled out piecemeal or something. Viewing it in Edge worked fine.

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 26, 2021

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

It's true. Those movies try their best but they're pretty bad

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

LegoMan posted:

it was an abomination, and so unlike Pratchett to be considered stolen IP.

Imagine making a show called "Cheers" and it had all the same named characters but instead it's set in space and everyone swears a lot

I'm imagining it now and uh can we get swear-y space Cheers, please? Bezos, make it happen

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

No, im a gay friendly friend of the gays

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Hughmoris posted:

Yessss. Does anyone have that awesome quote from the book about the Dragon being reborn? I can't remember the context but basically someone screaming that a baby has been born on the mountain and is the dragon reborn and he will break the world etc... It's been a long time since I read the books.

Also, does Rand hang dong in the first three episodes?

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 18, 2021

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

MadHat posted:

I think that is from new Spring so we may see a similar scene in the first Season, depends on what parts of that story they are using.

So Spoiler that maybe?

Good point, I wasn't really thinking. Spoiler'd

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

navyjack posted:

Ugh yeah that’s who I meant, but was he the guy the Reds caught at the beginning?

No, the guy in the beginning was just some random poor bastard the Reds tracked down

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

zoux posted:

Assuming it never gets cancelled - How many 8 episode seasons would it take to get the whole thing done? I've only read through the book that has wolves in snow on the cover, and so long ago I can't recall which one that was. It had just been published. I'm kind of doing a reread now in between other books, just started book 5.

Showrunner said he's got it planned to fit in eight seasons, although I don't recall if the eight episodes had been determined at that point. Given how characterization is being accelerated I can definitely see them pulling it off. Curious if the show is going to do any time skips

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

zoux posted:

That's like 2 books per season

Yeah but a lot of the middle books are probably going to be heavily condensed

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Show is good, y'all

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The Expanse thread is the same way, book reading posters got no chill

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

It feels like they're intentionally trying to be a bit vague with locations - home is west, Tar Valon is east, and everything else is described in relation to that.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I think I've said it before but there really should be a toggleable pop-up video mode for all of the x-ray content. You wouldn't even need to put all of the text on screen, just have little annotations with place and character names pop up on the side of the screen to let people know that the information is there

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah idk boys/girls/etc, the episode itself was decent but it made me 1473% more confused about the whole Aes Sedai/Whitecloaks thing than I already was.

A paramilitary outfit whose expressed life mission is to torture and murder Aes Sedai are just freely wandering about the literal outskirts of a city that cheers the Aes Sedai as heroes in their streets? They're just strutting around and grabbing commoners and setting up camp within sprinting distance of the White Tower?

What if they -- in making absolutely no effort to hide their status and in fact seeming to flaunt their presence in the Aes Sedai's backyard -- had ran smack-dab into Moraine's group as they were heading back, who they seemed to have missed by sheer random fortune? Just...shrugged awkwardly and moved on? Exchanged heated words? RIPed in pieces?? It makes no sense.

There's a lot of politics that explain this weird relationship and how the Whitecloaks are allowed to operate more or less with impunity, presumably the show will get into that at some point. I'm pretty sure you're meant to be asking that question during this episode.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

BrianWilly posted:

Idk mang, the oaths clearly say they can help other Aes Sedai.

And like, if they really heeded the oath to that degree then Moraine should have just booked it out of town in the first episode.

Yeah it's a political issue, not a magic issue. I'm definitely interested to see how they address it, because as a lot of people are (possibly over-)explaining they're portrayed a bit differently than in the source material

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

sudo rm -rf posted:

there’s a cool scene in TGH (the second book) that goes into this a little bit that I don’t think is a spoiler but I’ll spoiler it anyways.

I think a huge block of text from the book that the next season will presumably be covering may possibly qualify as a little bit of a book spoiler

Call me crazy

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

CainFortea posted:

I think it shows that reunion very well, and the fact that Loial keeps talking behind them while they're doing it just drives home how well the actor is channeling Loial.

Eh, a scene of Rand spilling his guts about his lost friends and how rough he's had it would have been welcome. Not exactly necessary, but it would have been a good button on their journey so far and given Loial a reason to go get her. The dialogue implied that that happened off screen, but it would have been nice to see it.

I kinda just want more Loial in general though so

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I can really feel Amazon notes to the effect of "don't trust the audience, they're a bunch of loving morons. Explain everything explicitly at least once, natural dialogue be damned"

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Rarity posted:

Apparently there's a bit in Shadar Logoth where you can see Fain's silhouette and hear him whistle. Has anyone clocked that?

I remember the whistle, but I didn't spot the silhouette. After last night I'm prepared to go through the series again on a pure Fainwatch. I'm betting that he's in at least one of the crowd shots in Breen's Spring

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Jordan7hm posted:

It would make for a better show, for me, if there was less explicit explanation and more subtext, but even people in this thread are missing stuff, soooo

Amazon ain’t wrong. Other than not giving the show a couple extra episodes to breath.

I agree, but shows that trust the audience to pick up on subtext and inference Do Not Do Well. Too many viewers are either distracted or just aren't great at retaining details. I'm really hoping the success the show is getting so far makes the suits back off a bit. At this point, we don't even really need more episodes; an extra ten-fifteen minutes per ep would go a long way towards evening out my gripes.

I really love the show so far, I just want more of it

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

That Italian Guy posted:

While this is generally true, you can really get something that stands out when you trust your audience more and the series is 100% "content" instead of being a primer to the world. See for example The Expanse S1, where most of the super dense world building oozes out of the scenes instead of having talking heads explain it for the benefit of the public.

I was actually specifically thinking of the Expanse, ha. I love that show, as should everyone, but it's hard to deny that a lot of people watch the first couple of episodes, have no idea what's happening, and shut it off. It never picked up the audience it deserved, and it was largely because it trusted its audience both to pay attention and also to be patient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

anatomi posted:

I'm really curious about the new guy playing Mat in the next season. The current actor is the best out of the Scooby Gang and it's gonna be sad to see him go (unless he was let go for being a sack of poo poo).

The fact that whatever made him leave (and made Amazon let him out of presumably one heck of a contract for a production this big/long term) has been so completely hush hush makes me think it has to be something very personal. If he was tearing around being a sex bad or was a drunk or something I feel like there'd be some whispers about it somewhere. I hope he's not an rear end in a top hat because yeah, dude's killing it. It's been kinda weird appreciating him while knowing he's not gonna stick around