Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Third season looking extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

Watching this reminds me of how much of the books that I have read (10, I think) I have forgotten in the 15+ years since I read any of them. When he pulled up the one shot of a spear wielding warrior it took me a second to be like "Oh poo poo, those guys" because such a major faction had completely slipped my memory of the books. He says it's a moment people will be excited for, but honestly, I don't remember what it could. I'm not even sure there's any scenes with that actual faction in the first few books, though I do recall there's some mention of them causing conflict in other parts of the setting at the very least. So I'm unsure if it's something from the first book I've forgotten, something they're pulling forward or just a new scene entirely using those characters in ways they never were in the book. I had forgotten things like the Ways, the White Cloaks, the various color factions within the Aes Sedai, the Gypsies etc. too. It's a bit of a trip just to see it all, because there's a mix of cool things I wanted to see, cool things I never thought I'd see and cool things I had completely forgotten about but that are dredging up old memories and nearly new because of it.
Agree that it's super cool to see all of these formative fiction memories interpreted for the screen.

If you want some clarity on the sourcing for some of the trailer, there's a book spoiler thread over in TBB where a bunch of terrible re-readers like me will be happy to talk about it ad nauseum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897992&pagenumber=233&perpage=40

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 29, 2021

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
He died at 58 in 2007 of amyloidosis, and he was cranking out doorstoppers for 15 years consistently from 1990-2005, when he released Knife of Dreams, the last book before the final act and one of the best books in the series. Whether he would have taken 3 or more books to finish, it would be over by now.

poo poo we'd probably have BWBOBA part 2 by now.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

This is great and I wish I had more friends who would laugh as hard as I am at it.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Grundulum posted:

I’m struggling to think of a character from the first book whose physical appearance was described negatively in any way (apart from Lan, who is supposed to have a face cut from granite). Just like all the children in Lake Wobegon, all the characters in WoT are above average.
Book chat, but this is def true for main characters, including most notable baddies. There are plenty of ugly characters though, RJ just describes them somewhat indirectly - highlighting specific features (especially noses or being especially thin or fat) in a loosely pejorative fashion. He also tends to focus more on ugly personality traits than physical ones in characters he wants to come across as ugly. Wit and Daise Congar are prime examples of this and they are the first minor named characters you meet in chapter 1 of EOTW.