Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Honestly, great use case and pricing scheme for cars right there. I guess our trains don't have conference rooms that you can rent like in other places.

Anywhere's a conference room if you're white man enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mortons stork posted:

they do actually have the option to rent a conference room on the italian high speed trains here. they call it executive level service and it costs >$200, which lol. but i guess if you have that narrow of a use case its a hell of a lot comfier than zooming in a car

Literally everything is more comfy in a train, where you can actually relax, stretch your legs or even combine going places with working.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Driver believes pedestrians are literal garbage, judge agrees.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm more into object insertion, specifically potatoes in exhausts.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Which reminds me, I have to figure out what my savings on not having a car is, measured in weekly work hours. It feels like a couple

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/existentialcoms/status/1290040673358368769?t=SOlG7heA-JbsTVlvgdoluA&s=19

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The concept of paying for public transport is pretty dumb in the first place, just tons of effort wasted on something that adds zero value.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Palladium posted:

if we dont have fares in america how would the cops hold up the entire transit system to arrest fare evaders

Can you do it based on race maybe?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In Copenhagen at least, we have dedicated personnel who have it as their job to check tickets in trains and buses. These people obviously have a lovely job, and it's not their fault, but it just feels so incredibly wasteful to have people running around doing something af unproductive as that. Kinda like the guys giving parking tickets, but without the benefit of loving with car owners.

Also there's untold millions wasted on the it system for fares. Just money out the window.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dxt posted:

But we need a way to keep undesirables off the trains.

They're already in their cars though?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

jettisonedstuff posted:

i mean, in this fantasy world where free public transit is politically viable it's a better choice to do UBI or raise the minimum wage or something

I mean, obviously do flat income or UBI first if that was remotely on the table anywhere.

As I see it though, public transport cost is more or less completely divorced from how many people use it. For intra city daytime, you want service at least every 10 minutes with whatever reasonable coverage, and that just has a base cost in terms of number of busses, drivers, trains and so on. Costs the same until you get full loads of passengers, at which point you scale up obviously. But it's essentially a fixed cost to have viable public transport. In my mind, this means that it makes sense to just forgo the bureaucracy and hassle and raise taxes by 0.001 dollars per year or whatever.

Political realities are different though. But realpolitik is the first step towards liberalism.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BeeSeeBee posted:

I don't sub, but I do check it out when this thread is slow and I need to amp myself up on hating cars.

Have you tried going outside, that usually works for me

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

would be cool if that number went down imo

Numbers going down is unamerican

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

gently caress cars. No not like that.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Thank you for your service Mr Bollard! :patriot:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cool, that's how a lot of Danish ghettos got their start! The idea is good, but it's harder to avoid parallel societies. Especially if you put all your low income groups in the new development

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

ted hitler hunter posted:

have the danes tried not being racist?

No

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Leave your car? Become a *spits* pedestrian??

Somewhere in USA, there's a guy who literally hasn't left his car in a year out of fear of becoming a pedestrian. Poop buckets and drivethroughs forever.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sounds like classic starve the beast: underfund a public service so bad that it doesn't work, then privatise or close it because it doesn't work

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

a_pineapple posted:

and god drat anyone on the other side.

Actually it's the driver who's damning people on the outside

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Teaching my 5 year old to commute by bike is awesome. He's internalised that cars kill animals, which makes them bad. And because we ride on suburban streets which are pretty narrow (because of parked cars), any car gets to drive behind us at his speed. I imagine they hate it, but I'm not gonna teach him to speed up or pull over if he has as much (or more) right to the street.

Don't try this in USA though, I'm pretty sure you will get run over and sued to bankruptcy afterwards.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Does the tram give a gently caress though? Doesn't it have enough power to just push the fucker aside, and then send a bill for repairs to the car owner?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

and scratch up my beautiful tram???

That's the part about sending a bill for repairs. Also I'd totally ride a tram with battle scars :krad:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Chrysler/Ram vehicles are marketed specifically to the biggest assholes imaginable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7-w7goKdGI

At least it's pretty upfront about it being made for killing people by running them over. Also not to used in the city or on streets.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm still low key considering plausible excuses for caltrops or similar in my front yard that people will use to turn their car around.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Xaris posted:

don’t be weird. just do the normal thing everyone else does and put up cinder blocks all around their perimeter

I honestly wish the previous owner wasn't completely carpilled and had kept the hedge and lawn front yard instead of the driveway we have now. I'll probably just end up with some shrubs and raised flowerbeds though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

EVs but with extension cords

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My co-workers are unable to understand that I will in fact not be picking my kids up when they become teenagers, on account of them having bikes and also me not having a cult membership card. The idea that teenagers can in fact figure out how to get home to a very bike and bus friendly place, even when drunk, does not make sense to them.

They even suggest that I must get a cargo bike to pick them up, which is just stupid. If you're old enough to be out, you're one enough to get home (and/or find somewhere else to stay).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

spckr posted:

In 1980 there were about 650 cars per 1000 people in the us. In 2020 that was up to 880.
With population growth that’s double the cars on the roads

That's only true if you measure in number of cars. In weight, it's at least triple.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Do you mean "driver's license" because lmfao

Getting and keeping a driver's license is an admission that personal cars have a place in society. That is a harmful shared superstition, which qualifies as a cult imo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Xaris posted:

spotted ur mistake. never get out of a car and you'll always be safe :eng101:

might i suggest getting an even bigger one just in case? just dock the new one to the old one and crawl from rear end to rear end

Just have a sci-fi style docking arm from your car door to the McDonald's entrance

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

The Tesla computers have been returning manual control to the driver an instant before the collision occurs

Elon is a genius.

One weird trick to escape responsibility!
The trick is to be a billionaire

The actual solution is that owning a car makes you liable for any crime involving the car, up to and including your car being vandalized.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I hate to tell you, but it's not always taught to gun owners either. Nor is it enforced.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

gently caress it, just get Chrysler to market straight up tanks instead of those grey area things. Machine gun warts and all

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

withak posted:

I like the taste of meat.

I like playing black metal at max volume, but I don't do it on account of I have neighbours and a family who would be negatively affected by it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Thankfully there is a marvelous invention called "lying."

You can't, it's under oath! They may even have a bible!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

They need a lot more current in the river. Just wash the cars away.

Or electrical current could work I guess.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Big day for wrong way driving too

I don't need no Big Government to tell me what side of the road I can drive in.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I've driven across Denmark in both car and train. The car was superior in getting delayed because of a crash and also fart smell. The train was ...faster, more comfortable and didn't smell as bad. It doesn't stop everywhere though and getting from the station to the destination can suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

love to transcend class boundaries, in my car

If you mean crashing into gated communities I guess?