Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
gently caress cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I hate the bastard automobile

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yeah it's probably more about being able to see out the windshield than anything else. almost like this a bad mode of conveyance for areas that have temps regularly below freezing!

or anywhere else

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

I feel like in a lot of places, it doesn't even matter how successful these road closures were; permanently keeping the road closed was never even a possibility.

It would be nice if the restaurant owners realize they were better off with it closed, though.

all small business people have massive car brains

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
motorcyclists have the dignity to mostly just off themselves rather than other road users for the most part at least

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
gentrification is the new frontier of anti-ped/anti-cyclist carbrain activists latching onto legitimate issues and completely loving muddying the water to get what they want. just like how they will tell you that removing any parking whatsoever hurts accessibility or how cyclists are actually all privileged. it sucks.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think it's just selection bias but i've noticed people are much worse drivers now than before the pandemic. I've almost been hit by someone several times because they completely ignored the stop sign and turned.

no people are verifiable driving like goddamn animals now. carbrain mutated into an even more deranged variant

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ACW5/status/1499466046389907456

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

love the absolutely loaded image choice there lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1500582858842259457?s=20&t=5nujO0B6Ic4ySbsfCPI54g

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i love "it raises the price of EVERYTHING" as a catch-all argument from carbrains people. yeah no poo poo, but i still pay less because i don't drive a 10 tonne SUV everywhere. if everything is more expensive...... doesn't it make even more sense to drive less or drive smaller cars genius?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nitevision posted:

Seattle, home of the Climate Pledge Arena, tore down a highway along the waterfront and spent $4 billion to replace it with a giant car tunnel under downtown. And then just also built a new high speed stroad along the waterfront. Lets loving go!!!!!

https://twitter.com/UrbanistOrg/status/1500988759382233092?s=20

https://twitter.com/MikeLindblom/status/1500934489685385217?s=20

lmao the elevated highway was preferable to this and at least the parts i was around were probably better for pedestrians than this poo poo

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jestery posted:

With petrol increasing in price, I'm seeing something interesting

Lots of second hand bike on FB marketplace/ gumtree

Looks like people are buying e-bike and selling the old analog they had in the garage

Good omens and portents I guess

or people are making more space in their garage for a bigger SUV

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is probably petty of me, but this morning the sidewalk was blocked off at multiple points because a road crew put all their "road work ahead" signs on it to notify drivers that a lane was closed. It's a four lane street, so it's barely an interruption for drivers. The signs took up the entire sidewalk though, so I shoved them down the hill.

this drives me up the wall. that and "Sidewalk Closed Ahead" signs that are like half a kilometer away from anywhere you could actually cross the fuckin road.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
my favorite is the car-brains that will tell you that, yeah biking is great but once you get to <arbitrary threshold of adultness> you'll NEED a bike. I have one kid and will soon have a second and still do a big chunk of my groceries via bike and still don't own a car. the local car share has been fine for me. yeah it's a pain to get the child seat in and out when I need to but oh well. We've also been taking her on the bus since she was 2 weeks old.

plus a shitload of trips are just hauling my solitary rear end to appointments or things like that.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Doing it per car is just about the stupidest possible way it could have been done.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
just saw someone on Twitter describe it as universal basic income for cars

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
My local car share is good. It has served me well for 10 years now

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Auto company execs are on record saying the whole point is to make things look tough and manly to appeal to morons. The fact that there's no incentive not to make things gently caress off huge is just enabling what they'd be doing anyway.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Imagine what it's like for the confused carbrains who choose these things. Like a snake shopping for shoes.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this car looks pretty cool

nope

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

https://twitter.com/RazzberryYams/status/1509227291964018688?s=20&t=_EKIBQQHAhhT_pls0Y5orA

just in case this wasn’t posted here. lol people really hate bikes

this is peak "I'm an avid cyclist, but..."

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Cyclists in the US think they are seen as equal to cars but that mindset will only get you hurt. Cars want to hurt and destroy you every chance they get, and you have to ride w that in mind--or pay the price.

p sure americans are keenly aware of this

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

pickin up some groceries. big load so i needed pannier backup

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

all that streetside parking in front of single-family homes, every single one with driveways is pretty hosed up.

I hate street parking so much

it drives me nuts. i live in a neighborhood where all the houses have ample driveways and the buildings have huge lots and the sides of the street are still absolutely clogged with cars. two guys just have their trucks and boats on trailers parked in the street all the time.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I biked for a week's worth of groceries today again. It was windy and kinda unpleasant but gently caress cars

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

no wonder teslas are so quiet :newlol:

lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
man I can’t believe Americans are stupid as hell

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Lots of small-ish rural towns somehow still have hosed up traffic anyway lol. One intersection in town getting clogged the gently caress up at 5pm.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Not a single pedestrian crossing in sight lol. Not that anyone needs to cross the road to get from the like, air conditioner store to the lumbar yard or whatever.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

real shame the occupant survived tho

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

IMO self-driving cars could be fine with today's technology with the following changes:

1. Self-driving capability shall be mandatory for all cars on the road, with some standard criteria for speed, acceleration, following distance, passing room, etc. so every car can know how the other cars around will react to changes.
2. All cars shall broadcast some kind of short-range feed of what they are doing or are about to do in response to stimulus so other nearby cars can also react as needed.
3. All traffic signs and signals shall be upgraded to the same standard and shall be readable by the computer in the cars (using optical, radio, or whatever).
4. Manual operation by humans is only to be available off of public roads and outside of standardized parking facilities, with speed, acceleration, etc. capped very conservatively. The car reports back to the authorities any attempt by the human operator to exceed the limits.
5. Switching to manual operation on public roads automatically calls emergency services to deal with whatever the dangerous emergency is.

I think with these few simple changes we could make some serious advances in society.

almost none of this is actually possible with today's technology op.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

https://nypost.com/2022/04/20/florida-teen-drives-at-151-mph-charged-in-deaths-of-6-people/

It's really bizarre that we can't have the maximum speed of cars at least limited to something like 90mph that's already insane and above the maximum speed everywhere.

There's no logical reason it should even be possible to go 151 mph in a street legal vehicle.

But hey, according to the article, BMW is nice enough to limit their normal model to.... 155 mph unless you buy the fancier model:

How long before this kid is driving again? probably not that long. six fuckin' people killed for tiktok clout, jesus christ.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

Then, in a catastrophe of timing, Andre fell off his bike in the crosswalk near the front of the truck — just as the driver, with the light still red, decided it was safe to began turning right. The truck hit Andre. The driver, whose identity has not been released, realized he’d been in a crash only after bystanders flagged him down. The boy on the bike suffered severe injuries, and died in a hospital a short while later.

how is this "following the rules"??

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
cars should explode if they go past 30km/h

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Norton posted:

had to stop by the elementary school my wife teaches at and oh my god i forgot how bad car lines to pick up the kids are. like 100 cars in a line just idling for an hour in the florida sun

i googled for a picture and found an article by a frustrated mom with tips to make it through the daily self inflicted traffic jam. serious car brain on display

"Arrive at least an hour early of the school’s closing time. Chances are you’ll be among the first 20 cars in the front of the line. You can take this hour opportunity to do things that you haven’t been able to fit into your busy schedule like reading, knitting or even sleeping. Arriving for car line 30 minutes early is an absolute no-no. Not only are you car #52 you’re also hanging out on the side of the street, with your car on park idle waiting"

These parents driving their kids are most likely choiced in to the school and live no where near. being able to pick what school you want so your pampered baby can go 50 minutes across town to a special magnet or whatever is loving terrible. sorry the school in your area isn't white enough for you, your kid will be fine i promise. who are these freaks that have all this free time to wait around in their car 5+ hours a week.

americans love this

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
It should be no sweat for motorists to ignore a bicycle in an intersection

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

distortion park posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/02/nyregion/nyc-speeding-traffic-deaths.html

Local government will do literally anything other than take effective action on car violence.

Pairs nicely with that research that showed similar signs in Texas actually made things worse lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PennDOTNews/status/1521109951262904321?s=20&t=4mp-Di0Mx6nVeSRHyLAeYg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I guess if you're hard of hearing, gently caress you, it's your fault if you get hit