Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

It loving rules that you can be such a brain dead moron as to do something like this and not even lose your license or get your loving SUV impounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Junkozeyne posted:

Cars are bad but train cars are very good. In conclusion cars are a land of contrasts

the only electric cars i like are the ones on the subway and intercity rail imho

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

actionjackson posted:

i'd say facebook is #1

facebook for all its faults probably doesn't kill 100,000 people in the US alone every year

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

last night as i was riding my bike down a two way street with sharrows (lmao) i got passed by a guy going at least 40 in a 25mph zone, who proceeded to run a red light and swerve back and forth into the opposing traffic lane. glad that the strict licensing schemes of new york state have prevented maniacs from driving on public roads and endangering others. in conclusion ban cars and require everyone to use a golf cart if they really need motorized transport.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/A_W_Gordon/status/1432333033038913538

Tale as old as time, "everyone else should take transit so that my car trip isn't slowed down by congestion!"

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Blockade posted:

Good luck riding an electric scooter any place that has winter and potholes lol

plenty of people seem to do fine on them in NYC winters :shrug:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

lobster shirt posted:

zone systems are also confusing and make it harder to use. just charge per trip you assholes!!!!

make transit free :twisted:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Xaris posted:

my city has been doing a bunch of parklets for restaurants and all the landed gentry boomers get steamed up into a furious fit of rage everytime it happens because downtown is losing all it's parking!!

(*nevermind the new 5-story garage they just built at great expense that no one uses)

it's a violation of my human rights to force me to walk two blocks from the garage to the restaurant I want to go to.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

actionjackson posted:

stfu bitch

question for NYC people about transit there

1) is the MTA even going to be around in like 10-20 years? From my understanding it's chronically underfunded and keeps getting worse, and is completely unprepared for climate change (thinking about what happened with Irma recently)

2) What happened to congestion pricing in Manhattan?

3) any plans to turn certain streets, or parts of streets, into pedestrian malls?

2) they're slow walking it. look at this poo poo:

https://twitter.com/DaveCoIon/status/1438169335604854792

3) they kept some of the most popular "open streets" (5th ave in BK, 34th Ave in Jackson Heights, Vanderbilt Ave in BK) and are trying to add "bike boulevards" in lightly trafficked streets that were chosen not to piss off any drivers. so, effectively, not really.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'm no longer in NYC (Chicago is my new haunt now, it's cool), anyway:

1) It's chronically underfunded, but what will probably happen, assuming the greater US doesn't collapse, is that the next time the subway system gets destroyed in a Sandy style disaster. They will get a huge injection of federal dollars and will restore the "important" lines that go into manhattan/financial district (123,456), they will drag rear end on the outer borough lines (AC. F, JZ, R). As super storms are goign to be more common, eventually the slow grifter pace of repairs won't be able to keep up and they will start limiting service on those lines. AFAIK the MTA still isn't 24hrs after the covid modification last year.

2) lol.
"Lieutenant Governor Hochul has supported congestion pricing in the past, but the pace and timing is something she will need to evaluate further given the constantly changing impact of Covid-19 on commuters,"

3) This has been happening on and off all over the city and I'm sure we will see more and more of that, but the idea of a "Car Free" City is a pipedream.

the subway is back to 24 hour service

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

actionjackson posted:

we should replace all intersections with roundabouts btw, just because people can't fly through them at 90 mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv8vVU2bEh0

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/sethmpk/status/1442517231640870912

The bull bars on the car are really the :discourse:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Tulip posted:

https://bushwickdaily.com/news/less-than-half-of-nycs-open-streets-are-ever-actually-open-study-finds/

the top level summary should be extremely unsurprising: people love when streets are car-free, the gov said it would make car-free streets, it has designated car-free streets but generally lets cars use those car-free streets, and they are dramatically more likely to actually keep a street car-free if it is white & wealthy

the city created these open streets and then left it up to volunteers to actually run them. all the city did was hand out some flimsy wooden barriers. unsurprisingly the people who have time to set these up and move them back when drivers push them out of the way are people with every advantage in our society already.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/ftgreenecyclist/status/1449001641290645510?s=21

Incredible transportation mode, we absolutely must continue to subsidize this.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

For those not from NYC, Smith Street is also one of the main arteries towards the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges, which cyclists use to get into Manhattan from Brooklyn. It's one of the busier bike lanes in Brooklyn.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

paul_soccer12 posted:

Nothings faster than a car

https://twitter.com/BrooklynSpoke/status/1450804079144341506

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

seems like a simple solution to make everyone happy would be to mandate you can only drive trucks like that where they're "necessary" (ie Tahoe) and as soon as you try to enter city limits it gets impounded

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Nitevision posted:

Small business owners in my city fight against reclaiming any street space from cars or parking because they believe the bulk of their business is from the 3 suburbanites parking directly in front of their shop rather than the 5,000 people walking over from their apartments in the same neighborhood, who would definitely spend more time there if it weren't loud as gently caress and dangerous. The American mindset is not salvageable

NYC DOT is trying to make two streets in Brooklyn (7th & 8th Avenues, which together see more than 500 injuries per year) safer by making them one way, adding PBLs, and removing parking. However, local small business owners and the incoming DSA-endorsed city councilperson are not having it:

https://twitter.com/alexaforcouncil/status/1450824668999557121

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

my 20 tweet thread about how i totally support safe streets BUT is raising a lot of questions already answered by my 20 tweet thread

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/nolemonnomelon/status/1453072195882782734?s=21

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Harik posted:

idgi isn't there stupid good money in towing all those illegaly parked shitheads?
like $250 a piece minimum?

1. many of them are cops or friends/family of cops
2. the NYPD is actively hostile to the concept of bike infrastructure and on principle refuses to do any enforcement to keep cars off it
3. NYC DOT refuses to build bike infrastructure that is physically impossible to park on (this video wouldn't exist if they just put down some loving jersey barriers and bollards)

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Harik posted:

So towing their vehicles is a win-win because gently caress cops.

so much money to be made

yeah but it's the cops who have to call in the tow. of course they're not going to tow themselves. but yes, legalize predatory towing of any and all cars in bike lanes or on sidewalks.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://www.bts.gov/archive/publications/freedom_to_travel/data_analysis posted:

About 62 percent of people with disabilities who are 15 years or older, and about 86 percent of the nondisabled who are 15 years or older, drove motor vehicles in the month prior to the interview for local travel to work, shopping, doctor and other medical appointments, and for other purposes (see figure 3 and appendix table 13). Seventy-seven percent of those with disabilities and 82 percent of the nondisabled rode in a personal motor vehicle as a passenger for local travel.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

lobster shirt posted:

as i was dropping my kid off at daycare today, taking him out of the elaborate and expensive safety seat in my car, i found myself thinking for the millionth time how insane it is that we deform our lives completely around cars, which despite all our efforts are STILL insanely deadly for children, rather than try to reduce our need for them. bonkers. sick society.

it fuckin owns that everyone drives their kids to/from school now bc it's too dangerous not to due to all the goddamn cars

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

another glorious victory for the all powerful bicycle lobby

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/andeps/status/1455549596663435270?s=21

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

sick country

I love this "driver involved in his death" and "the vehicle left him to die" wording. No, a driver killed him, and left him to die like a piece of trash on the side of the road.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

The curbs are nice but will not stop or even delay some raging moron in a brodozer. There's a curb setup like that near me where a highway offramp joins a residential street to "traffic calm" and it's covered in black tire marks from people hitting it at 60mph.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

reminds me of how my so's parents complained that roundabouts are "too complicated" and they don't know how to navigate them.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

LonsomeSon posted:

“turning right” too complicated, please feed me into the meat shredder

sometimes you even have to yield before you turn right, it's impossible!

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Enough people are so deconditioned by the car-based lifestyle that a 20 min roundtrip walk to get groceries (god forbid there's any kind of hill) really is a big demand. You can find plenty of people on Twitter bitching that it was the ordeal of a lifetime having to walk a mile to do something.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

thinking of an anti-car campaign where people with empty strollers "demonstrate" to closer passers the consequences of their reckless driving

https://twitter.com/TransAlt/status/1437786057483898894

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

But that's what malls were already. We've traded out the one that actually has common areas for one that doesn't, and even car people should see the downgrade there.

These outdoor things provide even more atomization and (very important) less space for Those drat Teens to loiter all day and get into trouble. You really want to go to the mall and have to walk around between different stores? Nah, you want to go into store A, buy some poo poo, get back in your car, drive to the other end of the massive parking lot, get more poo poo at store B, etc.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Xaris posted:

dozens sounds extreme but bike thefts (or part thefts) are super duper common in the bay area. i imagine it's also true for NYC and poo poo as well. ulocks don't really stop a 3-second angle-grinder job; it's mostly just to convince them to steal from the rube whose too poor (or not smart) to buy better than a lovely combo wire-lock. but why not get both.

can confirm, bike theft is super prevalent in nyc and it sucks rear end. delivery workers get held up at gunpoint for their ebikes with horrible frequency.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

dc just hit the same number of traffic deaths that we had for the entire year of 2020, with 6 weeks still to go. our department of transportation still keeps axing good projects and downgrading others and it's just amazing to me that our mayor is such a car-addled idiot that she doesn't get how popular this stuff is

we had a confirmation meeting for the new head of the district DOT and all the complaints about new bike lanes came from projects that were installed this year, like within the last few months. none of the projects of previous years still have loud detractors; this bikelash stuff has a half-life of roughly six months. ignore them and they go away, but instead she surrenders to them and we have this constant drumbeat of car crashes and dead children. loving cars and loving car culture

is it still the case that DC can't even issue tickets to drivers with MD/VA plates from speed and red light cameras?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/jacob_kaye_/status/1463265051524145158?s=21

It's legal to kill someone with your car in America.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

This group gets quoted for "balance" in lots of news stories about street safety, as if it represents a real constituency, and someone investigated and it turns out it's got two employees in some random town in Minnesota or something.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

i smile every time i see a parent on an e-bike hauling their kids to school. it's good as hell.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

vyelkin posted:

lol

on the one hand: I love this thread and I love this gangtag and I want to reward everyone itt for making such a wonderful thing
on the other hand: the admins have told us not to just give gangtags to everybody who asks, which means if I go overboard they might decline them and then nobody gets one

as a compromise, I will queue this gangtag for the first ten posters who quote this post AND post their favourite bit of car-hating content

it can be whatever you want, a meme, a joke, a quotation, a picture, but please post something good so that the thread gets an avalanche of good content in exchange for the gangtags!

if you aren't part of the speedy ten I'm afraid this means you might have to spend the $5 to get the tag on your own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fWN0FmcIU

This mayor was apparently a huge rear end in a top hat but this video still makes me smile

E: thought of another:

https://twitter.com/PSteely/status/731072042368417792

sat on my keys! has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

it's the safest place to be, with one catch... which is that you never know if the driver behind you is the one in 20 or so who will be driven completely insane with anger by it. but hey, your other option is to bike on the side and have some dipshit clip you as he goes for a blatantly illegal pass

the latter happened to me two weeks ago. i didn't crash but it was a pretty close run thing. my shoulders got all wrenched around too and they're finally feeling back to normal. ban cars imo.