Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Time-poor working people need cheap easy-to-eat food on the go and that’s all the defense the concept of fast food needs. It’s existed in one form or another since Greek times.

1822?

actionjackson posted:

how do they alter the direction it moves without power?

They flip a big magnet around obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Crossposting

Weka posted:

I have recently obtained security footage of NHD posting in the car thread.
Content warning: this footage shows an insanely brutal vehicle accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G27uwkp_dOo

Weka
May 5, 2019

I do not appreciate jalopnik doxxing my truck and it's sweet cow catcher.

Weka
May 5, 2019

My children are fedaykin for cycle culture and if yours aren't you are a bad parent.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Ham Equity posted:

Like, if we're going to have a death penalty, this is the kind of thing it should be for (I recognize this is Australia). Like, there's no reforming that.

The CPC reformed the last Qing emperor, a man who used to have people tortured for his own amusement, but I'm sure this angry drunk driver is beyond redemption.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Grassy Knowles posted:

Like, without a car, she would've just stumbled into a few folks on her way to the bus.

She would have ridden an emu into those people and it would likely have kicked at least one of them to death.

Weka
May 5, 2019

It is my opinion that it is Australians that are the real problem here.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Ham Equity posted:

Fine, have her watched like he was watched for his whole life to insure she never gets into the driver's seat of a car ever again, and it's totally doable.

One of the first things Puyi did in Beijing was get lost so I don't thank he was watched all the time.

Polo-Rican posted:

the true protagonist of speed racer only appeared in one episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSlRDRSBRec&t=437s

Congratulations to many of the fine posters in this thread for their representation in media.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I like trucks but this thing looks like an awful piece of poo poo. Sorry AIT get better truck pics.

Terminal autist posted:

Its like fly fishing I'll get a bite eventually

That's not how fly fishing works.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

a car? heh. bitch my train has 10 cars both to and from work

Your train? heh. I personally own 10 cars. 3 are for parts though.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I'd like to apologise to the thread, I lied when I said I have 10 cars. I forgot one, I have 11.

a.lo posted:

Afraid to purchase a new car because people may laugh at me

I'd recommend an older one, they just keep making them worse.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Celexi posted:

Sounder train only runs in early am and afternoon and Link has yet to actually expand. The bus alternative takes a full hour over a regular commute making it am hour and half versus 20 and has parts of the day it doesn't exist . If the sounder train was a regular train that would be a 15 minute commute at best.
I wish it was a wait 8 minutes thing.

You should think about getting one of those little railway hand carts.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Terminal autist posted:

Ok we're all agreed cars are bad on a societal level. But the sonic capitalism meme, so I'm gonna buy a charger

I don't agree. Many countries have cars, yet do not have the problems talked about in this thread. Perhaps it is not the cars causing the problems, they are merely one way the symptoms express themselves.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Preen Dog posted:

Because of my city's rear end handling of covid, mental illness and homelessness

I blame cars.

Martian posted:

This is not true, the fundamental problems car dependency causes are the same everywhere, the symptoms are just slightly less extreme and sometimes papered over more than in the US (this is true for most societal problems)

Many places do not have a car dependency because they have public transport.

If cars were banned in the USA, it would still have basically all the problems it has today.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

i take the subway every day 40 mins both ways and aside from a guy coming around high as hell stumbling or screaming its fine. all the bad news stories are like 4:00am a lone idiot tries to convince several armed men to stop smoking weed

Wow dudes with several arms!?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Sphyre posted:

goddamn you suck, get the gently caress out

That's not very nice Sphyre, it's OK to disagree with people.

BonHair posted:

If you build your entire infrastructure around cars and remove the cars, you're gonna have no infrastructure. USA is hosed because the entire infrastructure is based on cars. Too remove cars, first you gotta get alternatives in place.

Oh for sure, in this scenario it would have to be a phased ban, maybe 20 years.

Preen Dog posted:

Car brain symbolically describes defaulting to betrayal in a prisoner's dilemma

Now this I like.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Get better Gradenko you hoon.

Ardennes posted:

I think it is more than the media though, at least in Portland, hit and runs and homicides are far higher than they were in 2019, and the result on the social fabric is telling. California doesn't seem different. I think eventually there is going to be another push to be "tough of crime" but at lot of the issue is cops are extremely expensive and more extreme tactics are not really sustainable.

Cars are a part of that in the sense they are making sure there isn't a real solution as transit funding tries up and non-car infrastructure gets minimal funding among obviously a ton of other issues. Housing is expensive in part for example because of terrible land use, and how does that happen?

I guess you can do an attempt at cheeky "well cars are not the real problem"-style misdirection but cars clearly enhance some of the worst aspects of neoliberalism. The Soviets hosed up by promoting cars as much as they did and perhaps it was a sign of where the communist party was going.

I'm not sure it was a mistake for the Soviets to concentrate on cars. China for instance produced in 2022 as many cars as the next four countries combined. It's been a big part of their economic success. However, around 2010, Beijing and Shanghai began to see a fall in the of car use.

Beijing

Shanghai

I haven't had a chance to get through this article yet but it looks like the driving (haha) factor is an increase in public transport. They have not had a problem implementing this despite the fairly recent boom in car use. Beijing for instance has about the same amount of cars per capita as New York City.
I think it is liberalism that prevents more widespread adoption of public transport, not car use. If personal motor vehicles were not really a thing, you know however we were getting around would be messed up, just in a different way, because of our modes of production and ordering society.

Weka
May 5, 2019

What's this? Presuming you don't mean the Pakistani spooks.

Weka
May 5, 2019

withak posted:

You guys know why the old-timey dog was named "nig" right?

Named after Niger, so a Berber root.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Boywhiz88 posted:

Safe injection sites are the answer and will never get to happen. :(

Well yes and no. Around here I think most junkies shoot up in their homes. Probably a good place to safely inject meth too.

gradenko_2000 posted:

try to imagine every nhd post as being made from inside a car while they wear wraparound shades

Weka
May 5, 2019

One popular place to do drugs is in the car. That's why I hate them, because they are causing the opiod epidemic.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Polo-Rican posted:

large suv: trash
large suv in white: ultratrash

I like all my car to be white because it's the easiest colour to paint.

Blackhawk posted:

Just nuts how much people are willing to give up in exchange for a few square meters of flat ground.

Where else am I supposed to paint my car!

Weka
May 5, 2019

RockWhisperer posted:

Parisians are banning rental scoots. Thoughts?

I personally think they'd have a place in walkable cities if they were geofenced to designated parking areas and fines were issued for chucking them into the woods and what not.

How would you even go about issuing those fines? Massively increase the police budget for more surveillance?

lobster shirt posted:

speed and acceleration should be capped, on cars

It's a safety problem putting limiters on cars, sometimes you need to be able to gun it to maintain control.

Weka
May 5, 2019

mystes posted:

They're just not renewing the contracts with the rental companies which will mean they can't legally operate in Paris once the current contracts expire

My post was in reply to someone talking about prosecuting people for throwing scooters into the woods, not the Parisian example.

Mister Speaker posted:

Lmao do you really trust 95% of drivers to be able to recover should they find themselves in a situation where they "need to gun it to maintain control?" Do you think that fuel economy is the only reason most cars are FWD these days?

Most cars are front wheel drive because they are cheaper to manufacture. I certainly trust more than 5% of drivers around here but I can't comment on elsewhere.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

dude you just loving love cars why are you here

They're just tools, I don't feel any particular strong attachment. I certainly acknowledge cars have lots of problems, but I'm more interested in the structural issues that magnify those problems.

Weka
May 5, 2019

FlutieFlake posted:

It's unlikely you'll lose control of your car at 20 mph, the sensible top speed that cars should be limited to.

Hmmm, can we make them look all old timey? I could be convinced.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I feel awful having to order in so much with my wings clipped rn but I'm promising myself I'll make up for it when I'm back in fighting form

Don't beat yourself up about not being perfect bro.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Martian posted:

Deepl translation of (most of) a Dutch article about car brained drivers and the effect it has on a young blind pedestrian

https://www.ad.nl/auto/doodsangsten-bij-ouders-bestuurders-negeren-blinde-djan-en-rijden-gewoon-door-bijna-platgereden~a364f995/

Makes me angry. At least the local government apparently does care.

I agree with the other blind people that this fellow is a moron.

Mister Speaker posted:

This didn't feel like a 'warming up the engine' thing, and I don't even think it was a diesel (it didn't sound that way). It's 9 degrees Celsius here today. I think this guy was just taking a break and wanted his heat on instead of being arsed to put on a jacket.

This fellow's truck should be exploded. What is even the point of a petrol truck!?

Blackhawk posted:

By poorly planned does he mean working as intended? Because it's good as hell that those concrete barriers hosed up that car attempting to murder some cyclists.

Off hand I'd say it'd be better if it was higher so the car bounced off rather than getting stuck and potentially rear ended.

Weka
May 5, 2019

lmao I was probed for 4 days for saying it was an amazing video (it was). Literally one in a million shot, looked like a Michael Bay movie. aired on dozens of local news channels who teased the video during commercial breaks

Of course the mod assumed that I was saying it was a great thing that someone got hurt in a car accident.

which is insane because its literally my job to try to end car violence

Seems like you have a financial interest in car violence continuing...

mastershakeman posted:

There's a lot of spots in Chicago where you can park except during rush hour , when the extra lane of traffic is super needed!!!! And towing is nearly instant. I got got multiple times over the years due to this, mainly because I didn't have a stable 9-5 m-f and would sometimes forget which was a weekend vs weekday

So yeah great to see abandoning cars in a bike lane doesn't get a tow when milliseconds of parking in a car lane does

Seems like it would be easier to police a lane that you just need to clear once a day.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I'm literally Penelope Pitstop so I understandably have some negative associations with trains but I don't hate them or anything.

Sphyre posted:

remember that time you posted about how you couldn't wait to obliterate some posters itt, then made a bunch of probes and bans so bad they had to be walked back by the admins? pretty cool stuff. glad you've decided to stick around even though everyone thinks you suck

I think your attitude needs a 'tune up' my friend.

Weka
May 5, 2019

BonHair posted:

Starting to think maybe capitalism is bad?

I call it CARpitalism!

eXXon posted:

Walked by a parked Wagoneer - regular, not Grand, and not lifted - and noticed it was several inches taller than me. Almost 76" total. loving Christ.

Oh and I spent a few days in a smaller rental SUV, some Volkswagen poo poo, going through the desert. Even though it wasn't that tall the suspension was soft as poo poo and I felt like it was constantly swaying.

Dang American cars are bad. It's not just the height, like you can have a truck that tall without it being a huge safety problem by the simple expedient of having the bonnet slope. It doesn't even have any ground clearance, it may as well be a van. Is this just to look tough or is it to fit fatter people within?

Weka
May 5, 2019

teethgrinder posted:

Paywall I don't have access to:

https://www.economist.com/united-states/2023/04/20/rural-americans-are-importing-tiny-japanese-pickup-trucks

(preview ends there)

But people have been saying all along people that actually need utility vehicles have less use for over-sized pickups with high, difficult-to-load beds.

Lol, there is a happy medium between American trucks and this ridiculous poo poo. Just buy a hilux or something ffs. A 2wd hilux this age is only a few hundred kgs heavier and about the same width but it has an engine that can go up a hill, normal sized tyres and it can carry 5x more.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

They should just tow your car and sell it at police auction to pay for the tickets if enough unpaid ones pile up.

I agree, the government needs more ways to gently caress over the poor.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Smythe posted:

taliban cornered the market on these soz

I'm not sure this is true. I see a lot of Americans with Nissan Hardbodies/Navaras which is pretty much the same thing.

Epic High Five posted:

I'd imagine these people would be open to something like that if they could find it. Are you in the US OP? Even the actual Toyota dealership near me has never stocked any truck smaller than an F150

The government could never even come close to loving over the poor as much as car culture does. As though there's some sliding scale of income level where being a shithead with your car suddenly starts being okay.

Oh for sure they don't sell Hiluxes in the USA at all, or the other good comparable truck, the Mitsi Triton, but this was about a dude importing a 90s kei truck, so comparable would be importing an older Hilux or similar. The new ones don't come in that ~1200 kg size anyway. IIRC Venezuela was making 1980s model Navaras up until 2017 so they should be pretty available to import.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lots of "I'd rather be in my car, alone." comments here on this story about charging fees to drive through the Toronto city core: https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/12vfcpc/toronto_traffic_is_terrible_is_it_time_for_a_fee/

A while ago itt someone pointed out how cares are super isolating, creating basically a bubble between you and the outside world, and that thought always comes to mind whenever reading about stuff like this.

When I drive places I invariably have a handful of friendly interactions involving eye contact, smiling or waving. It's obviously very small pieces of social contact but it's very much not socially isolating. Maybe it's more to do with the society one is driving around in than the driving itself.

Weka
May 5, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

lol at gendarme car evolution. then:

now:

Don't forget this mighty beast, available with a 1 liter petrol or 1.5 liter diesel engine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weka
May 5, 2019

lol that a 2.5 tonne truck is "mini" in the USA.

Weka
May 5, 2019

silicone thrills posted:

due to the whole stress of - infrastructure is literally falling apart almost everywhere - I can't say i've ever had an amazing drive.

Rally driving is the funnest type of driving though

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

In Texas, speeding ticket penalty doubles in order to protect drivers. Most fatalities around road construction are drivers and their passengers. Drivers will kill themselves speeding into any possible obstacle present around construction.

Anyways, we need more bollards and curbs on streets.

Actually that's a little unhinged my friend. I think this fellow summed up the problem pretty well. I pity these poor souls driven to madness by a sick system.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Yeah, the lovely thing is this person has been riding daily for 10 years or so, but when sharing infrastructure with cars there's no margin for error. There's no lesson to learn. Everyone does things that know better than in a moment of distraction. No matter what level of knowledge of best practices you have, people cannot and will not behave perfectly every time. The only way to keep ourselves safe is to design systems of transportation that place less and less dependency on behavior. It's the fundamental flaw of cars.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I throw turtle shells at people when I get road rage.

Weka
May 5, 2019

its actually insanely smart to trade the very small chance of homicide for the super-common chance of vehicular homicide

In 2021 26,031 were murdered, a total of 38,824 people died in motor vehicle crashes in 2020. Similar ballpark.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

they are repaving outside and its like benzine city over here. gently caress the automobile

I've got a manualmobile

Weka
May 5, 2019

What do you fellows think about these new driverless taxis roaming the streets?

https://ktla.com/morning-news/waymo-self-driving-car-ride-demo-san-francisco/

Personally I support the butlerian jihad but for unrelated reasons.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Greg12 posted:

No sarcasm, 2014 Planning magazine was full of articles about how great this will be for our cities and how we all have to start renovating our streets to make war for the robots.

The authors celebrated how robot-car-as-a-service would bring the end of car ownership AND street congestion. "We won't need parking lots! We won't even need street parking! We can widen every sidewalk!" "There won't be traffic jams because drive-alone-own-car trips won't exist!" They never, ever asked what the cars would do when not occupied because it never occurred to them.

*Make room for the robots, lol

It's me, the Napoleon of the Butlerian Jihad, widening the streets so I can more easily blast the robocars with canon fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

55 miles a day lol. On commute alone. God drat. That's an average too so you're gonna have some outliers driving 50+ a mile one way

No wonder half the thread has been driven insane about cars.