Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

we are currently tolerating over three thousand deaths per day from a preventable disease mister buttigieg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

cross posting from the number thread, but lol at gas prices now

nevertheless

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

eating a gingerbread car with whole peppermints for wheels sounds pretty awful

like eating toothpaste with cookie bits

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

:smith: hope she makes a full recovery

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

actionjackson posted:

buy the transit van

yeah the transit connect is pretty small as far as cars available in America go

https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compare/ford-tourneo-courier-2014-minivan-vs-volkswagen-golf-2012-5-door-hatchback/

but bike + trailer is better :getin:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Doc Hawkins posted:

one extra gently caress you to our heroes in the fire department, and L O L at the planned posts being spaced one hundred loving feet apart. just say it's a turning and parking lane! admit it!

eta: noted downthread, the plans are for posts 10-20 feet apart

https://twitter.com/CriticalMassSF/status/1670876779161198598?s=20

closed ticket as wontfix; working as designed

they also used to close certain blocks of Valencia to car traffic entirely. always loved to see what was happening in the street on those days. people would hold impromptu dinner parties and music performances that drew decent crowds. wonder if that'll ever happen now that we're putting a big ribbon of bad ideas straight down the middle of the road

there are already two major 4-lane roads that run down the entire length of the mission two blocks to either side! it's so infuriating

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 10:18 on Jun 22, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Slider posted:

how are people so loving bad at driving

ftfy

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Gunshow Poophole posted:

A tesla drove itself into a house here in the rear end end of nowhere new york last night. It then exploded and the fire razed the building to the ground

Killed the driver, killed the owner of the house, gave his wife a heart attack so now she gets to suffer as an elderly widow with insane medical debt and no home

cars are dumb and bad. Teslas are worse

:smith:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Mauser posted:

I'm picturing a pickup because they're thinking the car wouldn't suffer much damage from murdering someone. I'm not sure what I would do in that situation, but I would definitely try to figure out where they parked and slash their tires if I wasn't the mayor

it's emeryville. definitely a tesla or a giant luxury SUV

I walked past some of the center bike lane stuff they're doing on Valencia St in San Francisco earlier this week. they have plastic bollards that appear to be velcro'd to the road

and zero ways for cyclists to enter or exit the lane mid-block

lol

https://twitter.com/LukeBornheimer/status/1674461187906637825

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 07:10 on Jun 30, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

sincerely, being able to just walk around the corner to a store if i need one or two things is so loving great and if you've only ever driven 15 minutes to a grocery store for that in your life, I'm sorry dawg

if only corner stores didn't charge like $8 for a dozen eggs :negative:

I still end up biking to a bigger grocery store

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

shoulda done what China does and put them on overhead gantries :china:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rode my bike today

This is my longest ride yet since the injury back in April. It's good to be back.

Rochallor posted:

Excellent, nice elevation gain. I've gotten used to biking in the Midwest again so it's always like 40 km distance, 3 m gain.

I was out biking today, got to a cross street and there was a funeral going by, so I turned around, went the other way, and almost got hit by a driver who blew a stop sign. He just shrugged as he went by... and got caught by the same funeral, so I went over and yelled at him. Felt good.

hell yeah biking long distances. glad to hear you're back up and running after the injury

i was invited to a friend's birthday party like 60km away yesterday and decided what the hell, I'll bike there instead of taking the train like I normally would.

planned the route the night before and ended up sticking pretty close to the train line so I could bail out if I got tired or had a mechanical fault. there was some nice separated bike infrastructure here and there but it was mostly sharrows and a few really dicey 8-lane intersections. the crosswind was pretty strong too which didn't help

fell down once when trying to stop and take a photo because I didn't realize the curb cutout had a big lip to it until it was too late :mad:

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 03:57 on Jul 9, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

hell yeah

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

mystes posted:

biking indoors is the most boring thing in the universe

I have mine set up in front of my TV and while it's not as good as a good ride outside, Wahoo SYSTM is pretty decent entertainment and I can do it on weekday evenings without worrying about getting hit by a self driving car

haven't tried out zwift or the other ones yet, might try trainer road next

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

panniers full of thumbtacks

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Samuel Glompers posted:

So, I will give them this, it's incredibly funny

this doesn't even get into drivers pulling u-turns mid-block over the bumpers and through the bike lane

it's perfectly designed to piss everybody off

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 09:52 on Aug 4, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

just 10 cars parked in the bike lane waiting for drivethru as one does

don't worry. the police are doing it too so it must be ok

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

was riding in the hills and took the lane earlier today for one minute while passing through a tunnel instead of riding in a 2 ft wide shoulder

got honked at even though traffic was moving like 10mph

meanwhile all the tourists on rental bikes going the other direction all get squeezed in that gap between SUVs and the tunnel wall. it looked profoundly uncomfortable

drivers are so rude

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 02:54 on Aug 6, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

there should be a quiet honk and a loud honk, where the loud honk is piped into the car at the same volume as it is outside

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

cars should be required by law to blare the loudest drum and bass music through the shittiest rattliest subwoofers imaginable

we'd have car free streets within the month

Clark Nova posted:

what if horns were only audible inside the car? how long would it take drivers to figure it out?

never, same way people never actually check to see if their lights are working

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I want bikes to come with the electronic train bell sound that they use on the light rail around here

https://youtu.be/oz4rlREpY_M?t=192 (skip to 3:12)

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

the news framed the story as "Cyclists Oppose More Buses in the Metro, Says It Will Only Increase Traffic"

news gonna news

at least one of the locally run outfits here gives sympathetic coverage to transit and cycling :unsmith: but the big newspapers are similar

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I rode a tandem bicycle today. it was fun

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Palladium posted:

how much i can a get a good lightweight bike if i don't want any of my $$$ into bougie marketing crap

https://www.decathlon.com/products/rc-120-disc-326838

this is the bike I bought a year ago and it kicks rear end. it doesn't have fancy parts but it has all the nubbins to take cargo attachments for grocery runs and it's still light enough to ride for fun. did a 101km ride last month with like 800m elevation gain and it held up pretty well

definitely a great all round starter bike that you can then turn into an errand bike later

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Aug 20, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Dog Case posted:

Basically everybody needs a Bike Friend

:hmmyes: and a bike coop nearby so you don't spend more than the bike on single use tools

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Speeding... cyclists. Uh huh.

I hit 5 over the speed limit on a particularly steep downhill section near me

but the speed limit was 10 :classiclol:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

imo instead of bickering online we should yell at cities to stop building MUPs as a compromise that don't serve anyone very well and build decent separated bike and pedestrian paths with enough capacity to handle demand instead

but since this is America and we continue to make incredibly dumb urban planning decisions I try to not be a jerk to other path users while cycling :shrug:

I do take every chance to slap cars parked in the bike lane though

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 02:11 on Aug 24, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Grassy Knowles posted:

buddy it’s 2022

i hate deloreans

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

eSports Chaebol posted:

Augbesians need to be an HSA-eligible expense imho

if you're going to need an entirely different scale of living accommodations built for you, you might as well get a bidet installed :shrug:

e: great page snipe. have a poster

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 05:43 on Aug 25, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Megamissen posted:

having horse specific trails would be a solution if riders respected the "no horse riding allowed" signs but they are very bad at that

simply put a single ant at the beginning of every trail. instant horse repellent

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

imo they coulda painted the bike lanes in the Dutch style to make it stand out a little more (and also make it more obvious that it's just a four way intersection)

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

hailthefish posted:

the ONE TIME where Magic Bike Paint might have helped!

hey, magic bike paint helps make the road more slippery when it really counts

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Martian posted:

Gonna bet the driver didn't see the bollard because of the Hummer's huge hood

is that a tree :confused:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ey you can't park dere

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Ardennes posted:

Portland and San Francisco have at least potential, it is more the local governments there are been extremely lackadaisical in the last few years. That said, San Francisco was pretty cool just to take public transportation and walk around in.

agreed. San Francisco's one of the better cities in the country for living without a car.

imo the challenges arise from local business interest groups (freaking out about parking spaces at the expense of literally everything else), the visible poverty and homelessness breaking peoples' brains, lack of operating funds, and interacting with the rest of the Bay Area where transportation is substantially worse and more car dependent

the real irritating part for me is people who live and work in SF who drive within the city. driving here is not pleasant! parking is a pain! people drive super aggressively! it's slower! but it means you don't have to interact with or perceive people who have suffered on behalf of the wealth inequality you feel guilty about. because these folks tend to be wealthier they also have an outsized influence on planning the built environment

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've tinkered with my bike way more than I ever have with a car.

:same:

tinkering with my car either involves getting underneath it (no thanks), lots of tools, hazardous fluids that require special disposal, or a potentially expensive and time consuming tow truck trip to my actual mechanic if I gently caress something up. and that's if it's something that doesn't require a lift or a ridiculous amount of disassembly. I will replace a battery or interior trim piece. I would rather let someone else with the space and tools replace a tire or change oil

tinkering with my bike involves much fewer tools, and if I gently caress something up I wheel it down the street to the bike shop and they shake their head and fix it for me :shobon:

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 02:25 on Sep 1, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

spacemang_spliff posted:

going to the bike coop today, hoping to get a cool bike.

wish me luck!!!

good luck! :blessed: post pics

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

sillyloquy posted:

Cops are notoriously bad at bikes. In Austin there's a state bike cop that's all of 5'3" and his bike is WAY too big for him. One time I saw him trying to push himself by his tippy toes to hop a curb while the rest of his pals rolled past him.

Also caught this dingus mess up his running mount.

if he doesn't ride a big bike how will the other cops on big bikes respect him? how will he intimidate civilians? :nsamad:

clearly we need to get this guy a pennyfarthing with fat tires

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

spacemang_spliff posted:

the bike coop had a giant cypress for $200, so that's what I picked up

it's a nice bike. need to get a some baskets and a water bottle or two so I can haul groceries with it but it's fun and easy to ride. didn't realize how out of shape I am lol

nice! get a rear rack and some bags for more flexibility

https://ibera.info/collections/pakrak-carriers

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/biking/best-bike-panniers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Milo and POTUS posted:

that first picture is way better than the average in the states lol

you would think the British would appreciate roads that are wide enough to play football on