Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Got into a shouting match w an idiot who couldn’t handle that cars are legally obligated to stop for pedestrians inside crosswalks. Their final point was “let cars do what they want” to which I responded as loudly as possible “Cars can suck my dick!”

I loving hate cars and motorists. People freak out if you’re going the speed limit in a dense residential neighborhood. Or on the highway/freeway! 70MPH in a 55MPH? Not enough! Gotta go faster.

The environmental cost and destruction aside, I hate cars for what they do to a person’s perception of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://fashionableidiotsrecords.bandcamp.com/track/kill-everyone-who-drives

I identify w this song way more these days. Like. Drivers are rear end in a top hat to everyone. Pedestrians, cyclists, other motorists. It doesn’t matter!!! gently caress CARS

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

It also sucks because driving as a skill is frankly too accessible. Like… people suck at zipper merges or loving speeding up during a clover leaf ramp. I didn’t drive for a decade, and because I kept up on my license, I was good to go once I decided to hop back in the saddle. No assessment of my skills or anything. Just renewing the license in-person or online.

I wish at minimum, anyone under 20 and over 70 was tested biannually or something.

And gently caress anyone who doesn’t use cruise control on the highway!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

Ah, the beer bike :hmmyes:

pedal pubs. a loving scourge

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

A nearby warehouse full of old tires and car parts caught fire and took hours to put out!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

lol here is a story from where i live, a 16 year old driver in a pickup was so enraged by seeing cyclists that he rolled coal at them and then ran four of them over: https://www.fox26houston.com/news/pickup-truck-runs-over-6-cyclists-in-waller-county-4-people-hospitalized

What the fuuuuuuuck

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Awful. Puking at this. Throwing up.

gently caress I hate cars. As mentioned as well, people are so inefficient while driving! Just throw on cruise control! It’s bizarre to me how people going on a highway don’t just use cruise control!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The driver is almost 80. Why are they driving!? I saw a loving crossover going 10MPH under everyone else on the highway, and of course it was a gray hair hunching over their driver wheel trying to see the road ahead. Real cool. Love that we don’t test these people.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

And they never catch the real assholes anyway!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

No, but your reaction to my comment is telling. Historically whenever someone starts talking about "energy efficiency" in terms of climate change they inevitably start going down the malthusian road to eugenics.

Energy efficiency is good and has a place in every environmental discussion but it has to be very narrowly focused.

Lol, the poster is talking about collective, societal action as opposed to “I’m gonna be sure to turn off my light when I exit the room” and your response is: ugh, slippery slope to murdering children.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Lmao, the next tweet:

https://twitter.com/DigitalSciGuy/status/1455297177371168775?s=20

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Let this remind you of the folly of man and cars: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iAsbV1oAkDc

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Lol did the dude fake pulling a gun or knife out of the car

I’ve been “threatened” w a gun because I gave someone the finger for honking while I was turning into a supermarket parking lot. I put quotes on because it was a teen who said it, and I never saw it, but like… such loving entitlement.

I’m a big fan of people saying it’s a race thing.. like no, rear end in a top hat! These people loving sucked!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

lil poopendorfer posted:

THere was an iconic vid from 2 years ago where a ny cyclist smashed a car with his lock and jumped on top of it, leaned his head back and roared. He had long dreads so it looked like some Predator poo poo

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7500151/A-different-kind-road-rage-man-slams-bike-lock-car-middle-busy-NYC-street.html

lovely source but this is what I was able to find.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the amount of people in this dude's mentions going with the "touching another person's sacred personal vehicle is assault, tresspassing and manslaughter" line is pretty indicative of terminal car disease. this ruined my day

I realized on my second watch that the woman hits it waaaay harder than the OP.

King!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

walk update: as usual, most cars did not slow down and a few passed us dangerously close. very discouraging that even a stroller isn't enough to make most people slightly delay their trips lol

At least one of them was thinking you were on the wrong for daring to walk on the street.

My first day w a bike after a decade, and I’m not great but I’m going down a sidewalk that is 2 ft removed from the curb. No interaction w traffic. But that didn’t stop someone in a pickup from yelling “gently caress you!” to me while driving by at 40+ MPH.

Oh and this is in a suburb where they get apoplectic if you bike in the streets. Loved going by that road almost a decade later and seeing the city had elected to put stop signs on the sidewalks. Because dumbass motorists can’t handle stopping AT a stop sign.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Gimage search: CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATON OF REALTORS got a laugh out of me

The gif is from the movie, Speed, if that’s what you were trying to check.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

eSports Chaebol posted:

didn’t somebody link to a story itt about a nerd who tracked down his stolen e-bike with an air tag and the police didn’t want to help. when he finally got the cops to come with him to the shop trying to resell it, an employee threatened him physically IN FRONT OF THE COPS and they were still reluctant to make him give the guy his bike back lol

https://www.theverge.com/22667600/delivery-workers-seamless-uber-relay-new-york-electric-bikes-apps

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

St Paul has (had?) A Carbucks infamous for dozens of drivers being laughably incompetent at exiting the drivethru.
https://twitter.com/TomBasgen/status/952574922655764480?t=L0xWtdnG512nB6t7SDNSPA&s=19
The location had to install large hiviz polls to discourage drivers from beaching themselves on the curb (and even that didn't stop everyone from driving right into them).

The thing is right at a major intersection, too, frequently causing massive backups because apparently dozens of people just have to get their chain coffee beverage before heading to work.

Employees protested having off-duty police do the traffic control a while ago, shutting down the drivethru. Not sure if that changed back or they found an alternate implementation.

It’s still there, and I believe the drive-thru reopened but haven’t seen any cops in a minute, although it’s been awhile since I’ve driven by during peak times.

That being said, it is such a terrible design and backs up so frequently into traffic.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

withak posted:

It is always someone panicking and mashing the accelerator instead of the brake. Even if the car is stuck at full throttle for some reason the brakes will always win. It isn’t even close, the engine at full throttle only slightly increases stopping distance. Anyone who says their accelerator was stuck and they weren’t able to stop was not actually hitting the brake.

I mean there is the Toyota situation where they provided mats that would slide and jam so you couldn’t brake.

The closest is people complaining about line-of-sight because of the a-pillars… to which someone suggests an SUV for better sight lines. JFC

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Something that’s stuck w me for years now is the idea that Americans lack political imagination. And reading those comments reinforces it. “Oh save us Elon!” “Oh you can’t BIKE places” blah blah blah. They can’t imagine a train instead of 8000 cars. They can’t imagine a little exertion to go a few blocks to grab something via bike.

It’s wild.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Cat Puke posted:

At some point I realized that it angers other drivers more to go under the limit rather than over (on steroids, not highways), so now I do that.

The first time I had someone freak out at me when I got back into driving a few years ago was from going the speed limit up a busy street.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

It’s always funny watching how SUV drivers can’t handle any loving snow. Maybe you shouldn’t have such a dumbass vehicle then!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

This is just saving face because you suck as a small business owner. You were gonna have to close but rather than own up that you suck at business, you just say it’s the city’s fault.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I like that the British call it “drink driving.” I think it’s less tolerant of a phrase than “drunk driving.” Because you can pull the “I’m not drunk” bullshit, whereas yeah, you’ve been drinking so don’t drive.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Too bad, the streetcar itself is one of those 2000/early 2010 boondoggles that doesn't connect to almost anything.

------

We have a decent light rail line that is hampered because it does not receive priority for traffic signals, so it takes like 3x the time to get from one point to another. All they need to do is give it priority to chop a lot of that off. It drives me mad.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

Car dependency is a huge factor in keeping the poor poor. Without decent public transit, walkable/bikeable cities, and affordable homes near centers of economic opportunity, many are effectively forced into the purchase of a car. Often, the car they can afford will prove to be many times more expensive than anticipated because of maintenance, gas, and storage, leaving them stuck choosing between feeding themselves or their auto.

This helps feed into cars being status symbols. One mustn't be a poor slob walking to work, taking transit, or car pooling. A car—the bigger, louder, and more aggressive, the better—is a sign of success inherent to the owner's identity. Any effort to improve alternate modes of transportation or make streets safer is taken as a direct attack on not only the owner's property, but the way they conceive of themselves in society.

Despite paying hundreds more in rent, living closer to work w/o a car was able to keep me moving forward at a crucial point in my life. No major fluctuations in budget based on gas or repair. The budgeting of time that went with bus routes, in an especially unfriendly to public transit area, helped me learn a thing or two as well. Add in biking around, etc., I appreciate the life skills it helps one build.

It sounds silly but I just think about the idiots in little cars who would come and buy a huge TV w no idea of how things actually fit in their car. Or people who rush around because they can leave at the last possible second but can’t possibly be late! It’s just an extension of “convenience” which is just shorthand at this point for waste by another name.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Sphyre posted:

:mods: give every poster itt this gang tag right now. give paul_soccer12 two of them :mods:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/chron/status/1478422222482124802?s=20

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

NoU posted:

icymi, War on Cars did an interview with the journalist who took this pic. He was given the car to test drive and hated every second of it. He was able to talk to some of the design engineers, and when he brought up the "front blind spot" the engineers had no idea he could possibly be referring to.

ban cars

Can you link it? I'd love to listen to it.

edit: to be clear im as lazy as a motorist who doesn't want to park anywhere but the first two spots in the lot.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

That loving SUCKS

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Getting in and out of that stadium is about as irritating as you’d expect

Wait. This is real and not a rendering? That really loving sucks!!!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Jestery posted:

Just got my first punishment pass, followed by a reverse at the traffic lights 30 meters later

https://youtu.be/xq0XNILIYTw

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Nitevision posted:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1480331682700050440?s=20

Elton Musk sir I didn't know you could get more Epic sir

The replies are full of “who doesn’t break the law all the time in a car?” Assholes

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

road rage is so normalized it's crazy

any time anyone posts a video online where someone touches a car — like, if they reach out and give a car a little slap with their palm — 75% of the comments are like: "I would have killed you op"

We saw it in this thread w/ the dude from DC who knocked on the back of a person's car who was in a non-parking zone at a curbcut for bikes, etc.

Just countless people who were like "shouldn't have touched his car" while the driver's companion knocks the car way harder than the OP ever did. It's dumb AF.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1484027271753183234?s=20

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

There’s a LIGHT SHINING ON THE REPORTER! Like, how the gently caress is that person allowed to drive if they can’t see that?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Deleted already

I believe it was a video showing someone using a blow dryer to thaw up their Tesla door handle enough to open. At least based on the context and some other Internet chatter.

Edit: yup!

Memento posted:

loving coward

Boywhiz88 has issued a correction as of 09:34 on Jan 21, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I thought it had ice in it. I don't actually know how Tesla doors work. I assume it's something stupid.

https://youtu.be/HauVg7zvpPQ

https://youtu.be/5aemlJ1QPA0

https://youtu.be/VkFpzJ5mEco

Lmao, I just loving pull my handle in my 20-yo Maxima like a dumbass and it opens. Such an idiot to use such old technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Nah, he deleted because he’s a drat coward who couldn’t handle people laughing at his poorly engineered overly-expensive car.