Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

New disease, new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Differentiating between good and bad bagels is the stupidest thing. Literally arguing over which slice of bread is the best. Or which variant is more fun.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

durrneez posted:

in another life, i was a wildlife researcher. i went on a lion collaring excursion once and the vet shot the lion in the dick with a tranquilizer dart.

Continue...

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

poo poo like this is why the CDC's mask-off bullshit was extra loving dumb. Mask use (or not) is heavily influenced by social pressure. A few of us so aggressively don't give a gently caress about what other people think that we're fine walking around in elastomeric respirators, but a lot of folks just go with whatever everybody else is doing so that they don't stand out.

I ventured out to Costco this weekend and it absolutely blows my mind how people don't just give in to the social normalcy of wearing masks. The store was around 90-95% masked. I just wanted to go up to the people who weren't masking and be like.... hey....Don't you just feel like....stupid? Like have you noticed a trend with the people around you? If everyone around you was screaming "Oh poo poo, the building is burning down!" and running for the exit, would you like...take the hint that maybe you should follow?

Then there was the lady with 6 kids waiting by the food court, none of them masked (including herself.) First time in this entire pandemic that I thought "Oh poo poo, it's a super spreader event. I have to get out of here."

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

meet girls at the store posted:

Unmasked Man: “hi I’m here to get the vaccine, it’s my first dose”
Pharm Tech: “okay, unvaccinated people need to wear a mask though, I can offer you this surgical mask for use in the store”
Unmasked Man: “I’m vaccinated”

It seems long but this is the thread title?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Going to buy myself a full furry costume and claim that someone is insinuating that I'm an animal.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Glenn is normally very right

what

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Brag much?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Motherfucking....

KId who came to my sons birthday party has a loving fever (The party i did not want to have but was overrulled)

Really sorry to hear that. That's awful.

(I hope this message has cured the party goers.)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Did anything come from the "good news" from way back this morning that maybe the vaccine is actually effective at preventing delta, it's just that all those dang unvaccinated kids are screwing up the metrics by dying?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Is it a case of we literally don't understand how the mRNA vaccine works enough to say what exact effects it might have on kids, or is it just that safety dictates that we test it a bunch to confirm the science that says it's safe?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Hey guys, I feel like a bunch of dead kids are really missing from my life. Does anyone know if there's any country in the world where I can get my fix for dead kids? I'd prefer someplace with good internet.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

A time traveler comes to us from years in the future.

I DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME! YOUR PROBLEM WASN'T LACK OF RESPONSE OR SUPPORT FOR YOUR POPULATION! YOU NEEDED FASTER TESTS!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Diet Coke will save us all.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I think I want to start using a respirator, but I don't want to trust this decision to Google.

I want to trust it to goons.

Are respirators better for preventing getting coronavirus? What are the qualities I need to look for when choosing a respirator. Is it even possible to buy an effective one now or have all the smart people already got what was available?

Just put your hand over your mouth when you breath. Jesus Christ, it's not that hard.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

It's a good example of how discussion in a space is usually controlled by those who can participate the most and loudest and longest, not necessarily the people most informed or impacted by the topic. *Warily scrutinizes thread top-posters list*

It's also a good example of how public discussion is not productive for every space and every topic.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

BRB, going to go get full immunity.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Is there any map/graph/whatever that shows vaccination rates in comparison to population density? I've been thinking about the irony of large cities having better vaccination rates but more exposure due to population density. What's the sweet spot?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah the sweet spot is being that siberian hermits who chills out with animals all the time

That guy loving loves horse drugs.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

College Rockout posted:

i'm aware of that, that's why i'm asking what his doctor thinks instead of telling him to stop hth

You died 10 minutes ago hth.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I have two things to admit to the thread today:

I'm overwhelmed with sadness and despair more than anger and frustration lately. Also, I genuinely enjoyed Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

I don't know what's more troubling.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

euphronius posted:

more evidence the liberal media and social media amplify unpopular opinions

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1429767879377838086?s=21

Yeah but also 25-75 "We should prevent 100,000 kids from dying."

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

so following up from last week on Friday

that corner turn might be real in King county:

guess we will see if it’s still there at the end of the day.

It's not. It's because there is a delay in reporting of the most recent days. For the past three weeks it's appeared every single day that the past 2-3 days are showing a decrease in cases.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It is like the movie The Croods in that it caused me to curl up into a ball and cry uncontrollably for two hours this afternoon because that was the mentally healthy thing to do. :sparkles:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Death By The Blues posted:

At what point are we getting bodies dumped into the everglades as alligators chomp on em?

Alligators don’t want the Covid.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Stereotype posted:

alligators can't get covid

Not with that attitude.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It really is truly astonishing that nearly every single aspect of the American experiment failed so drastically in responding to covid.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

"ICU? More like I can't see you because all of the hospitals are full!" - A Doctor probably.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

smoobles posted:

(Crysis suit voice) MAXIMUM TITERS

(Unreal Tournament announcer) Horsey poo poo!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

So Florida, 6% of the population, is responsible for 33% of the deaths. Cool.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

so did any goons unlock the secret series of words to say to a pediatrician to get their kid an off label Pfizer shot?

I've heard that if you just get some Pony Paste it works pretty well. It's basically the Kid's Tylenol version of Ivermectin.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

hahaha first Mississippi poison control, then Alabama, now Florida

https://twitter.com/floridapoison/status/1430278382210600963?s=21

Jesus Christ, I'm turbo-doom scrolling through this thread to get caught up while listening to loving the Frozen II soundtrack, and right as I get to the climax of "Show Yourself" I stop on this tweet, and it was some of the most powerful crack ping-ing I've ever had.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

Have any of the Applebee’s thought of converting their walk in’s to morgues for some extra money?

It’s not the Applebee’s you need, it’s the Jamba Juices. You need those blenders if you’re going to dust some people.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

lol, that’s the population of the town I grew up in.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I prefer to think of it as covering up four 9/11’s.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I was on a work call with someone yesterday and they talked about how they were going to Florida for vacation next week. That’s the wildest poo poo I have ever heard.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

inferis posted:

this thread is getting absolutely blasted with new posts, seems like we got a lot of new people too, welcome everybody glad to have you all

Seems like COVID is over.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Do not. I repeat - Do not go to Idaho.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

In a shocking twist it looks like that drop in COVID cases in Washington state appears to have just been a delay in reporting. I'm just too shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Lacrosse posted:

I had a black coworker say 'I wish I could take my kids to Silverwood' and like an idiot I ask 'Why not? Is the drive too far?' and he replies 'No, there's just a whole lot of KKK there'

Correct.

Northern Idaho is "Look, we allowed you to have a pride parade, and convinced the KKK to not hold their parade on the same week. What more do you want from us?"