Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Let's Play Metroid Dread

Throwing myself into this blind, so if your copy hasn't arrived you can hopefully live vicariously through my incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ImpAtom posted:

One thing I've noticed is that Flash Step as a combat dodge doesn't seem to register for a lot of folks. Watching LPs and such people just don't seem to use it outside of certain areas.

There are too many movement options in this game that come too quickly to register. Flash step was indispensable when I got it but I often would forget it existed after I'd got the space jump because double jumping (Or at least, attempting to double jump in my case) is a more intuitive and common option to dodge attacks.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bust Rodd posted:

But the space jump and the phase shift are totally different mobility tools that do totally different things, and the game is designed around using them in conjunction, not just dropping one when you get the other.

I do understand that they're different tools for different purposes.

But recognise:

Flash shift as a movement option has a relatively unique input for a dash compared to the industry standard across most 2D games. Typically dashes are mapped, or can be mapped to a shoulder button and don't require directional input to work. You push the dash button and you move in the direction you're facing at the point of input. If you're going really oldschool then they can also be mapped to double tapping the analogue stick in the dash direction.

Flash Shift can't be mapped to a shoulder and requires you to hold the button and then input a direction.

Metroid's double jump is; for all that it's a diva about when you're spinning and the exact input time, something that maps to the industry standard for a double jump. You jump and push the jump button again to do a double jump.

If you are pressed by an enemy and off balance then it is much easier as a player to go to the same input you have been doing for years to get around it because it requires a lot less thought to do, even if it's the inferior option.

Typically what would happen to me is that I'd fight a boss, die a bunch until I figured out the attacks and then remember the Flash shift existed when I wasn't in panic mode any more.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Sorry I wasn't really clear.

I meant to imply industry standard across 2D games where there is:

1. A Jump
2. A Dash
3. A Fire/Attack button.

This is because, if all of these map to face buttons and you need to press all of them at the same time, see for example, doing a dash jump and firing the X-Buster in Mega Man X, you need to use a claw grip to access all the game's movement.

I take your point that Dash being a face button in 3D action is typical, but those games rarely require all three buttons to be used at the same time and where they do often Fire will be mapped to the shoulder instead.

This isn't to comment on whether it's good or not. I'm not opening that jar of worms here. It's literally just to explain why some people are slow to take up the Flash Shift.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If you're having a hard time dashing you should be struggling exactly as much to be using the double jump in combat.

Even if we assume commentary about industry standards is wrong though, pushing the same button twice is still easier than pushing two seperate buttons, as ridiculous as that might sound.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bust Rodd posted:

There is literally nothing in Megaman X so demanding that you can’t sacrifice a single frame of DPS to tap the dash button

Okay, what if I want to hold charge on the X Buster and Press Dash without jumping then?

The default layout there is Y for the X Buster charge, the leftmost button and A for the dash, the rightmost button. That is really quite awkward to do without fat fingering the jump button on B. And that's not sacrificing a single frame of DPS, you're losing around 1-2 seconds of charge if you let go of the fire button to dash. (Also would be true in Hollow Knight if it didn't map dash to a shoulder and you wanted to dash and use a nail art)

Mainly this is tangential. It should be sufficient to explain that dash being a face button in 2D is a shoulder often enough that at least some people will have more trouble with that than the face button alternative.

It is simply put, a lot more comfortable to use something that has been a standard not just in most 2D games but across all of 2D Metroid over something you've just picked up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I really like Hollow Knight.

But most of the decisions that would infuriate me didn't impact me.

I barely died so res running just wasn't problematic and I had my best mate telling me what to do if I got too lost so the map didn't cause enough of an issue.

Bust Rodd posted:

The fact that so, so, so many of Hollow Knight’s criticisms boil down to “I wish the game did more handholding, there was too much game, too much to explore, and everything makes you feel very small and powerless and far away” is so interesting to me, because those are EASILY the qualities of this game that made it so special and so important to so many people.

It's an obstacle course wall that's *just* high enough for some people to get over and for others to be unable to do so. Those who get over the wall have a great experience because they get all the endorphins of success against a challenge, those who don't end up feeling terrible.

Typically, where I think things are more clear cut are things like save point structure. There really isn't a good reason for there not to be a bench close to most bosses, in fact, for me, it negatively impacts the game because boss difficulty has to account for people getting fewer tries across an amount of time.

If anything I'd have preferred a game with harder bosses but with save points in front of them. (Which to be fair, Godhome ascended difficulty kinda is?)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bust Rodd posted:

I completely understand where you’re coming from, but Hollow Knight allows you to set an “Instantly Return Here at any time” teleport magic spell, something that basically completely solves that issue, but for one reason or another a lot of folks never think to use Dreamgate in that way.

“You know, this boss has totally fragged me 2-3 times, let me just pop a dreamgate down here for a quick run back”

Oh absolutely, but the Dreamgate only shows up like halfway into the game (later or earlier depending specifically on your route)? By then most people will probably have made their call on whether they're in or out.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Just Andi Now posted:

This is kinda condescending ngl. I am 100% okay with challenge. Hollow Knight wasn't a challenge. It was a slog. I put the game down 12 hours in because i was not enjoying my experience, not because it was too difficult for me.

It's not meant to be. Some people are shorter than others so the wall is harder. I'm garbs at Metroid but I'm weirdly good at Hollow Knight. Being less good at something isn't a slight, everyone's good at different stuff.

And even in Hollow Knight's case, I got a boost over the wall. I had a friend telling me where to go if I got lost or frustrated.

But more interestingly, what does slog mean in this case? Was it just too annoying to get around? Too easy to get lost? Were you beating bosses but the time taken was prohibitive?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Just Andi Now posted:

You're just telling me I'm not good at the game again. I was beating the bosses just fine thank you. Your analogy needs work.

From the very beginning I hated the jump arc. The world was too large. Any time I got a new traversal upgrade, I had 10 different spots to check for progress that were on opposite sides of the map. The dash was too short, and I had to waste a pin slot just to improve the distance by 5 cm enough into "ok this feels good to use territory". There's a room that is a single vertical climb that made me feel like I was playing Getting Over It except there are enemies. There are far too few warp points. QOL features are locked behind pin slots when they could easily have been permanent upgrades. I could go on.

Look, given I had absolutely no idea what your complaint about the game was and was making a generalised comment around people who literally in this thread had commented on having issues with the difficulty, I think you're taking things to heart a little too much.

As it happens, I think a lot of what you say is reasonable. I disagree on the jump and dash, but those are deeply personal and your experience there is valid. I also think if you start out disliking the movement in a game that has traversal at its heart, you're very unlikely to enjoy that game and that's absolutely fine.

Honestly I'm impressed with your persistence if you played for 10 hours with that as an issue.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 7, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

My dumbest moment was a final boss spoiler. taking over a dozen failed attempts at raven beak before trying to use a power bomb when he launches the sun thing in phase three. I beat him without taking further damage at that point. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t even use the move you can counter unless you do that, because he sure as hell never tried it on me until after I blew up the sun.

Having beaten him without doing that, I can confirm that it can be done. You just need to do enough damage.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
MP3 was probably my favourite of the series because of how loving incredible pointer control was and how it ran at a locked 60 the entire time.

Also pirate homeworld and skytown are two of my favourite locales in the series.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski posted:

When pointer control worked it was great. When it didn't and you were trying to quickly hit fiddly weak spots it was a nightmare. The final boss of 3 took me ages.

I never had an issue with the gyro stuff though, that felt pretty neat to do and they didn't try to make it do more than it could.

I absolutely despise gyro but pointer controls were perfect for me 100% of the time. It was the closest anyone ever got to Mouse + Keyboard on a console.

That being said "It was fine for me" isn't a rebuttal of you finding that it didn't work sometimes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Augus posted:

I did not get the sense they were implying that, they were pretty clearly saying “this remaster was very high-effort so doing 2 and 3 would naturally also be very high-effort and that might be way too much time being spent doing remasters as opposed to a new game”

This is what I understood as well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ChaseSP posted:

SA-X was way cooler than Dark Samus in 3 which is way more lame than how Dark Samus is portrayed in 2 as this massive force interested purely in two things. Getting More Phazon and trying to kill you whenever you ran across each other.

Yeah Dark Samus sucks and when she gets to the pirate homeworld and tears through all the space pirates it's

awesome, there is nothing wrong with Dark Samus. Dark Samus the best and our saviour. Hail Dark Samus.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

LividLiquid posted:

I seriously hate how you can't post about something being difficult without people lining up to tell you big their dick is.

I actually find this pretty frustrating. Your experience of difficulty is different to everyone else's and that's okay.

I think in almost any game there's going to be a dissonance between how a character is portrayed and how you as a player play them.

In dread for example I died to Kraid 3 times before I got it right, but Samus walks out the fight like a massive badass as if it took no effort.

Ultimately that dissonance is something I feel that you just have to set aside. Nobody on their first run is going to match the ideal version of Samus. It's not a good answer but the alternative would be making Samus essentially invincible or lowering difficulty a lot, which has its own problems.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Rand Brittain posted:

These color-coded troopers in the Phazon Mines are kicking my rear end. It seems like I can never get through an engagement with one without losing more health than I can ever gain back, and wind up dead before I see any sign of a save room (or even an upgrade).

The ice ones are the worst. In theory they're supposed to be vulnerable to the ice beam, but they seem to take hardly any damage from it. A wiki is telling me I should be able to freeze and shatter them, but in practice they seem to be invulnerable to damage while frozen?

In the original prime, you can freeze and then use a missile to shatter.

In Trilogy they can't be frozen or shattered.

In Remaster you can freeze them, but you can't shatter with a missile.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Also early artifact of the Elder! :toot:

No second pirate base visit for me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tender Bender posted:

The way the elevator next to the ice beam leads you right to the Crashed Frigate is so mean lol.

Oh thank god you mentioned this.

I remembered this troll specifically but I couldn't figure out what I was meant to do.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Killed the Elite pirate.

Then immediately went back the way I came to get the chozo artifact.

You aren't catching me with that bullshit again Retro.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
245/250 missiles

Pain.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

LividLiquid posted:

Do you still have to re-fight the Chozo ghosts even if you'd only just left the room and come back?

Because that poo poo has been preventing what would've been yearly playthroughs for decades now.

If you move two rooms away and come back things respawn.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Fedule posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say, it's the X-Ray visor one in Triclops Pit in Magmoor.

Nah sadly not. Got that one without the visor early.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

hughesta posted:

Watery Hall underwater section?

It's this one.

I'm nearly 100% sure. I can't play but I'm checking in the morning.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

hughesta posted:

Watery Hall underwater section?

You loving beautiful gem of a human.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
To be fair to them I think she was basically dying every time and they did what they needed to do to save her?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
That's what the blank page for making maps in the back of the manual is for, duh.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I don't think I'll ever get over just how much I hate the 2D space jump.

I've enjoyed every 2D Metroid I've played but I just felt so loving deflated when I got the double jump in Dread.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
"Sir the X are loose again."

"Call in Samus."

"Sir, she's refusing to work with us after the whole Metroid breeding programme thing."

"....How much does she want."

"30 Billion."

"Okay we can.."

"And a pet Metroid."

"gently caress it, with any luck they'll kill each other and we'll finally be able to breed our bioweapons in peace."

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I always thought Phazon meteor hits and starts eating planet.

Chozo who are enlightened get pulled back from enlightenment.

They seal the Phazon meteor even as their ability to see through time is going haywire.

They make the artifact temple with clues for Samus knowing where the artifacts will be when she arrives.

Much later space pirates show up with Metroids.

One gets loose, finds its way through the decaying barrier and starts chowing down on Phazon.

The space pirates, who are idiots, think it was there all along.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt8cGNScB_s&t=932s

And sometimes you start a new Metroid with just a *little* too much knowledge.

And also a *little* too little knowledge.

Super was a loving wild experience for me.

As a person I favour narratives and linearity and playing Metroidvanias is basically sending me right out of my wheelhouse so I favoured Fusion when I compared it and Super.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 5, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
If I had to rationalise it.

Samus can remove the suit herself easily.

If anyone else tries to remove the suit, it's like gently caress the gently caress no.

If Samus takes sufficient damage, the suit loses parts instead of letting her die.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'd really really be interested in Prime 2 with remaster controls. I never got round to Trilogy on my Wii U and pointer controls just make everything so much smoother.

I feel like that will really help how incredibly slow the game feels when you're moving from light point to light point at what feels like an absolutely glacial pace.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'd just not want that at all.

Like the really deliberate pace of Metroid Prime makes it stand out amid the sea of increasingly fast boomer shooters that are releasing nowadays.

The lasting criticism of Prime is largely more easily solved by less aggressive enemy respawns, since Samus is relatively mobile in the last stretch between the boost ball and space jump. Broadly in fact, if you just do that and add a system where the morph ball can open doors faster and you're laughing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sure, but even in my recent run there were instances, like with the Artifact of World chamber where I'd have to repeatedly spawn Chozo ghosts to get through each of the puzzles in the room.

Ignore everything makes a fair bit of sense but when you reenter a room with new weapons or whatever and have angry gribblies trying to munch your face, you kinda have to deal with them before you hit the puzzle that's there.

It also can result in a sort of inertia, where if you beat the enemies and there's a puzzle you can't solve, often you don't want to leave the room and come back later because of the respawns so you sit on a puzzle you can't solve for longer making absolutely sure you can't, if that makes sense.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Having come to both games at near the same time, Super *clunks*. The space jump alone is such a horrible upgrade that I actively think the game is significantly worse after you get it.

Not to mention all the jank around Samus going into a spin or not.

Contrasted to HK where you're basically Mega man X in a Metroid game.

HK doesn't need more than pogo to alter movement because the movement is so smooth that you won't get bored of it during a playthrough.

Now if the first hour wasn't literally the worst part of the game, it would serve itself a lot better.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

No Dignity posted:

It's cool when you get new movement abilities that recontextualise how you interact with the game world. I might even say that's one of the defining traits of the genre and shouldn't be discarded

These upgrades should be fun to use.

Rather than make me wish I did not have the upgrade so I could go back to just having decent movement again.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I mean I quit out of Hollow Knight entirely on the first run because I didn't have a map and didn't have any clue of where I was going or what I was doing.

Turns out, with my best friend giving me hints on where to go, it's probably my favourite game in the entire genre. (Because, for me, the combat is incredible)

I understand an artist's desire for their art to be challenging, but I do think that as much can be lost in the audience driven away as is gained for the audience that remains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
To bring this somewhat back to Metroid.

I can't help but wonder how I would feel about Hollow Knight and its need for a compass charm alongside all the player unfriendly things it does, like rez running with permanent cash loss, if I was as bad at it as I am at Metroid.

Huge amounts of my frustration with Dread, Fusion, essentially every Metroid I've ever played come from the Space Jump being essentially the worst thing in the world for me to do. Getting that upgrade feels like a downgrade for me every time because suddenly my hands just stop working and I become unable to do the things the game asks of me.

Much of my opinion of the 2D Metroid series derives from being unable to divorce my frustration at how bad I am from my experience of the game. And yet, it's friendly to the player, with convenient save points and a helpful map. So ultimately I come away from most of the games in a decent enough space.

I ultimately struggle to understand the issue of the compass charm because I simply didn't need the charm slot until I was doing Godhome. I think I had it on when I beat the true ending of the game.

I'm honestly not sure where I'm going with this. But it's just interesting to me that skill can elide what would otherwise be huge issues otherwise. My utter hatred of Bloodborne kinda shows a world where I'm not that good at HK.