Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have somehow decided that despite having all of the original consoles paired with flashcarts and a MiSTer FPGA and who knows how many emulation handhelds, that the best way to play through the series before Dread drops is on a Switch.

Having a hacked Switch has come a long way, a long long way.

Plan is to play them order with Zero Mission, AM2R, and Fusion on the hacked one, and Super Metroid and eventually Dread on my everyday normal one.

Great plan! I actually just ran all 4 in a row the other day (AM2R instead of 2 or SR as well) and it was a blast. AM2R gave me some trouble, died a couple times a ways from a save point and I got lost in the gravity suit area. And as much as I've played Super, I managed to get horribly lost in pre-grapple Norfair, Lower Norfair, and Ridley Escape. Weirdly I blew through Maridia, where I always get lost.

Speaking of blowing through, Fusion was super quick, despite me being half asleep (started it on hour 10.5 of streaming or something) and randomly typing in chat about Dread with a couple followers. Hell, the last half hour was done after taking my sleeping pill.

Very fun experience and put me in the right mood for Dread and today's trailer just made that hype skyrocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The gently caress? Super Metroid controls the nicest of the entire series. The physics are a little bit floaty so that it's more forgiving to do all the advanced moves, and using the shoulder buttons to go into somersaults is extremely fluid. Plus you have superior air control pre-space-jump. The next best was Zero Mission, and it felt almost exactly like Super Metroid at the end when you finally unlocked all of your suit capabilities.

I'd described Fusion as clunky but certainly not Super Metroid.

I figured they meant the literal default controls. X to shoot and A to jump is a travesty imo. Two decades now the first thing I change is shoot on Y and jump on B

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Without spoiling too much: In Super Metroid, which boss is meant to be done first, Maridia or Norfair?

I can't figure out how to get in to either one, and the only rooms I haven't explored yet are a couple in Maridia that are locked behind greyed out doors.

You have gravity suit, right? If so, Maridia. Vague directional hint: You're looking for a room up top (I think) you can grapple across. That should put you in rooms with Mocktroids, enemies that sorta look like Metroids. If you see them you're going in the right direction

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Samus can now change genders by hanging out in a coffin

mandatory lesbian posted:

The genders are woman, bird, and metroid

Gonna need this romhack

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Procrastine posted:

In Zero Mission, you can grab any Super Missile tank and unlock Supers (the same applies to Missiles and Power Bombs but you'd need serious glitches to reach one other than the intended "first" tanks)

I think they meant the three unknown items

Edit: Didn't one of the Dread Reports specifically reassure sequence breaking was in?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Missles in Metroid are weirdly the one thing I don't hoard in video games. I'm awful in RPGs because I refuse to buy anything lest I find it free somewhere. Yet here I spam missiles all the time

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Honest question time, I've been playing a lot of Fusion and Zero Mission lately (Don't have a switch for Dread, but got a used DS recently, and those are 2 of the 4 games I have for it), and does anyone feel like some of the puzzles for items in those games were... too hard? Maybe I'm too much of an old man, but some of them require a lot of shinesparking and perfect reflexes and... I don't have that.

Tween Endy here had trouble with them too, don't worry. But I made up for it with patience. And being on a road trip helped.

I tried the Chozodia shinespark one a few weeks ago when I streamed all the 2D games and after messing it up like twice I said screw it

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that calling poo poo like hard bosses and tricky environmental puzzles to solve design flaws in a Metroid game seems a bit off the mark.

That Washington Post review saying a big negative is the fact that you can't progress until you figure out what to do or beat an enemy and giving it a 7/10 is just :psyduck:

Like... I don't care about review scores but that's just dumb.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

How about, and I just thought of this, it's totally original... you search for items and there's lots of action, so it's like Search-Action

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

ZeeBoi posted:

Ah, that new Metroid feeling. Can’t wait to play more in the next few days!

The last time I had that feeling it was 2010 and it sucked

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I screenshotted that exact line too. gently caress you Adam

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

A thing that irrationally annoys me: I habitually shoot the door in save rooms right as I save. In this game, they shut again when saving is complete :mad:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I'm like barely ever melee-ing. I picked up all these missiles, I'm gonna use them.

Speaking of, this is the first Metroid where I'm using missiles to expose block types. Feels weird.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Ha, got the "unknown item found". Look, not my fault it was in a ridiculously easy spot in Artaria

Edit: And another one right after it after riding an elevator. If the only thing blocking me was a grapple missile block, I'm gonna pick it up

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 9, 2021

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Game is amazing and well worth the wait. Just got the item that opens green bubble shields and had to go to work. Longest 8 hours ever.

Also, gently caress FedEx. I ordered the Walmart coffee mug edition a few weeks ago. Ships the day before stops in a city less than an hour away from me. Yesterday it departs, I'm thinking cool, I'll probably be able to go home on my lunch break and open it and at least get the intro out of the way. Nope. So I buy from Target instead. Left work a couple hours early and grabbed it. At 8pm my FedEx status updates to "delayed till the 9th", and it's sitting in a city 30 minutes away. I'm returning it tomorrow and keeping my Target copy. For anyone from the Ohio area, it left Grove City at 7am yesterday, and ended up in Columbus at 8pm. Just continuing my streak of literally nothing from FedEx arriving on time, ever. Sorry for the rant!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I got this tank, but I still don't know the exact mechanics of going boosted ball -> charging a spark

I did it but I'm not sure how

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe it's because I was on a pro controller, but I never found the controls an issue. Aside from occasionally firing a middle instead of grappling, at least.

And re: Shinespark puzzles, it felt no more egregious than Fusion or ZM. In none of these three games is the Shinespark required or explained fully. I remember in the GBA games needing a guide for a couple of the puzzles in each game. Granted, I was a preteen/teenager when they came out but still

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

JBP posted:

Was the reveal that the bird monster is your dad some kind of story built up over time? It made me laugh.

To add what others said, I think Raven Beak wanted it to be an epic reveal but the devs and by extension Samus knew it was laughable. Note how Samus kinda blows it off and just starts blasting

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

uPen posted:

Where else do those buttons show up? I haven't 100% the game but that arena was the only place I remember encountering red buttons that you shoot to turn them green.

I just started a hard mode run and there's definitely like at least two once you get spider grip. Don't even have morph yet to give an indication of how early I am

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I tried to get the shinespark kill on the Experiment in Cataris but the first time I got it, it didn't register I hit him, and the second time it didn't register AND I took damage from a swipe. The third time it wouldn't stop screw attacking so I gave up and just shot it to death. gently caress you too I guess.

Also lol the storm missile phase is just "can you sweep this before the aoe pulse hurts you"

I'm doing a hard mode run and I thought "hey I'll try the Shinespark quick kill" and failed miserably at it twice. Did it the normal way spamming storm missiles and ripped through the fight

That being said shinesparking Escue was glorious

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

What does it do? I don’t have the game handy.

Instant morph

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Alright, guess it's time to go for sub 4s

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Kin posted:

So, any pointers for the final boss?

So far it feels like a bit of a chore to fight. I thought I'd gotten through his first phase when he fired up the invulnerability but nope, that's still phase 1.

Took me ages to get by it and then the fucker starts flying about and bam, back to square 1.

Is there a way to make him trigger the counter move to get him out of his invulnerable state?

I pretty much had the rest of his attacks in that phase memorised so wasn't actually taking any damage, nor was I dealing any.

It seemed like whenever I didn't get hit and beam spammed while invulnerable he opened up more often. Anecdotal though

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

XavierGenisi posted:

Top 3 for me are honestly like,

1) Proteus Ridley
2) Meta/Omega Ridley (Prime 3)
3) Ridley (Other M)

Other M has a lot of loving problems, but it does show some actual signs of life in the gameplay when fighting some of the bigger enemies/bosses, and the Ridley boss fight in that game is actually genuinely pretty awesome, and is the high point of that game's gameplay, imo (which is funny considering how loving *awful* and rightfully hated the cutscene leading into that fight is).

It's been... gently caress it's been literally a decade since I last played it, but I really liked the Phantoon postgame moment. Both in concept and the fight

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I found it pretty funny when I read the (Experiment fight spoilers I guess?) healed itself with the tentacles. I instinctively immediately locked onto all of them and killed them because I assumed it was gonna be some crazy attack

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Now this is dread

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I Am Just a Box posted:

The game does tell you that an EMMI in chase mode will not be fooled by the Phantom Cloak. It doesn't think you're not there anymore just because you turned invisible. Phantom Cloak is useful for preventing the chase from starting (it's actually really effective in Ferenia's EMMI zone) but once a chase starts you're supposed to run, not hide.

Or in stealth game terms, it's like a cardboard box. Great when in normal mode, useless on alert or evasion

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

No Dignity posted:

Thread please advise - if I started a playthrough of Metroid Prime 2 how likely am I to get brutally owned when Nintendo announce a remaster of it in like six months time and I've already have my fill of the game? (Exactly what happened to me with Prime 1)

Hurry up and start it so we can get a Prime 2 Remaster before Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I would love to see a modern remake of Fusion that amped up the SAX a bit instead of it being only in 1-2 predefined segments. Though I guess to some degree that is just the robots from Dread except not necessarily insta-kill.

Resident Evil 2 but with Ms. X instead of Mr. X