Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Judge Tesla posted:

Regarding future games and also Ending Spoilers:

So Samus has had her uncontrollable energy drain ability suppressed by absorbing Quiet Robe-X but she is still a Metroid on a genetic level I assume, so won't this make her a target for every mad scientist and Space Pirate out there?

I'm aware Ridley is extremely dead, for now, and Kraid got eaten by the X and vaporized at the end, but I'm guessing there's still the Pirates on their homeworld still.

Could go either way depending on the story they want to tell, I think.

The only people who know Samus has Become Metroid are herself and Adam, so they could let that storyline stop there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
The biggest flaw in the EMMI encounters is that they're too short and they respawn you too quickly, allowing people to brute force their way through instead of engaging in a thrilling game of cat and mouse. Hopefully this error will be corrected in Metroid Dread 2.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Oxyclean posted:

Unless they also make the EMMIs more "fair" or better design some of the later sections, I feel like that'd make it so much worse/more frustrating.

The last two EMMis really have the problem of basically just spawning on top of you, and never patrolling away.
Like the gently caress is this?

The cloak is basically a trap, and the correct way to do this section is to go as fast as you can.

Seems like there was a pretty good opening to move to the right, and then either keep going that way or double back left through the door below depending on which way you're going. You don't need to perfectly ghost the level without ever getting detected, just use the cloak enough to get past.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

uPen posted:

The EMMI are annoying because they know where you are even if you cloak.

They know where you were even after you cloak. That's what all the pinging is about when you're not cloaked, they're hearing you and moving to that location.

This is my point! People don't learn how the system works! The EMMI encounters are actually really cool and fun once you get a feel for it!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Mr. Nice! posted:

this would mean that the X escaped and is spreading now via the makwan.

Also, any idea why Ravensbeak isn’t affected by the X until his power suit is damaged? Samus’ powersuit wasn’t able to stop an X infection. Why would his be any different?

An upgrade installed after the first X attack wiped out most of the colony?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Actually, about the final boss - the "come at me bro" pose never went anywhere for me. No matter if I pressed X on the flash or not, he'd just sort of rear back, avoid the counterhit, not do any sort of attack, and go back to whatever he was doing before. The only attack I could counter-hit was the red charge-up flash step move, so that's how I got through that phase, and he does that regardless of that pose. Is the other one supposed to actually do anything or is it just a fakeout?

That tripped me up for a bit too. If you’re standing too far back and do a standing counter it doesn’t trigger the clash. You need to actually hit him with the counter, generally by doing a running counter into him.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

LividLiquid posted:

Does it only have dual analog aiming? I'd quite like to play it how it was. I couldn't even get into the Wii version for that reason.

Your options are dual analogue, original controls, hybrid (original controls but with gyro when free aiming) and pointer controls.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I played all the Primes as they released, and definitely enjoyed Prime 1 the most. Although part of that was probably because I was a huge fan of sequence breaking and the adorably named "secret worlds" (going out of bounds), both of which Retro did their best to crack down on in later games.

In honor of the remaster, please enjoy the best fan site ever made, miraculously still alive after all these years. Most of these tricks probably don't work anymore, but this site was the coolest thing ever as a kid.

https://www.metroid2002.com/home.php

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Party Boat posted:

I realise this is a bit of hyperbole but I picked up Dark Souls in the Christmas break, completed it and I'm currently playing through Dark Souls 2 and the goon souls thread / discord have been nothing but supportive and good natured throughout me posting my many, many deaths. The community has a reputation but anything that kills you has also killed someone else who'll laugh and say "yeah, that got me too".

Yeah, in practice the "git gud"s only really come out when the other party is starting off with "this is why the game is bad/dumb/unfair/etc". If someone is sincerely asking for advice I've never seen souls fans not be supportive.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
In Metroid Dread 2, Samus crash lands on an unknown planet, losing most of her powerups and scattering the pieces of her damaged ship across the planet. In order to repair her ship and make her escape, she'll need to enlist the aid of the local plant-like creatures, known as "Pikmin", to combat the hostile wildlife, build bridges and break down walls, and transport items back to the ship.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
I think the planned “sequence breaks” are an important part of the experience. Being able to get items in different orders and skip past the obvious objective is cool, but it’s good for it to be possible while playing the game normally, rather than the game being purely linear unless you clip out of bounds or wrong warp or whatever.

Sometimes you can get lucky and have your game’s glitches allow for sequence breaking without breaking the logic of the setting (I still prefer the 1.0 gamecube release of Metroid Prime because of it), but the most likely outcome is that it’ll only happen if you deliberately allow for it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Samus saves the animals in Super Metroid :colbert:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Some people are better at spatial location recognition than others.

You could say the same thing about every single aspect of the game requiring player input in any way, though.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

ExcessBLarg! posted:

At best, it's a useless item, and at worse it's punitive to the players that benefit most from it.

Is every charm punitive to the people who benefit from it, by forcing them to use a charm slot on it? Is the charm that makes you heal faster punitive, because now people who get hit more need to wear an extra charm to make up for it? I don't think this is a very useful way of looking at the system.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

cheetah7071 posted:

This kind of attitude is exactly what I was talking about. If you go into an old game assuming it must be kinda poo poo and that people only care because of nostalgia, you're mentally preparing yourself to miss what makes it good

SlothfulCobra posted:

Seeing people throw fits over Hollow Knight having the tiniest little complication on a standard map system has pushed me a lot further in the other way, to the point where I've really started to appreciate what Hideo Kojima was doing for MGS2, or how the Zelda series was allowed to keep going with its whole map and compass thing for a long while.

Strong agree on this stuff too, I think it's a big mistake to view modern conventions as what video games are "supposed to be", and assume anything different is inferior. Basically the only time I think it's possible for a game to "age badly" is when it was just a tech demo for the former cutting edge with actual gameplay as an afterthought (there's a lot of FMV games that don't have anything going for them now that "blurry video clips of bad actors" is not a selling point, for example). Beyond that though - if it was possible to lose yourself in a game for dozens of hours several decades ago, it's still possible today.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't agree with this at all, no, because this assumes the lack of alternatives had no impact on people's viewpoints. There are plenty of games which were fantastic for the time because they did something cool or unique and there was nothing else like them, but once other things came out like them but with the benefits of improved design it becomes clear how much of a game's frustration was held up by a lack of an alternative.

Personally I'd struggle to think of an example for this where the original game isn't still worth playing in some way.

I'm not sure if I'd hold the business model for coin-fed arcade games against them, considering anyone playing them now is almost certainly playing a modern port (which you buy and then own with no further costs) or on an emulator which doesn't cost you anything. In most of them dying just lets you respawn where you are if you still have coins, so they're really pretty forgiving for a modern player who doesn't need to put in actual quarters.

If the argument is that a game being 2 hours long with high difficulty throughout is just fundamentally inferior to a game that's 20 hours long with a gradual difficulty curve, then I'll have to disagree. There are benefits to both, and there are a lot of times where being able to sit down and do a full run and see how your high score compares to your last one is preferable to sitting down and playing the intro hour where you don't have all the mechanics unlocked and the enemies are really weak.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

ImpAtom posted:

I mean that is exactly the issue. Those arcade games are designed in such a way that dying and restarting for money is a central element of the game and while they can still be fun outside of that, that element overrides the entire game. The fact that you can put infinite money into a virtual arcade machine only underlines that because it means design elements that don't have the starting point of "make money" are deemphasized

I think that in practice the good arcade games (and there were lots of good ones!) were hard but fair, I don't really get what you're saying here.

Like, idk, here's Rayforce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP4fpnDRKzY

It's an arcade game from 1993. I played it for the first time in 2023, 30 years after it was released. I thought it was really good! The two-layer system was pretty simple but the game made good use of it - there's lots of interesting enemy compositions and bits of interactivity in the background. The scoring system is simple (the more targets you lock onto before you shoot, the more points you get for each kill) but there's a lot of depth that comes out of it. I had a great time playing it, and I certainly can't think of any modern game that makes it obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

ImpAtom posted:

I spent entirely too many hours on old school arcade games but the majority of them weren't very well designed even if they were fun.

Sure, but there were always tons of bad games, just like there were always tons of bad books and movies. James Bond Jr. (SNES, 1992) is not bad because it "aged badly", it just wasn't a very good game in the first place*. If you pick a 90s arcade game at random you'll probably get something bad, in much the same way that if you shuffle all the games released this year and pick one completely at random you'll probably end up with some shovelware trash.

What I disagree with is that the games that used to be good can "age badly" and become bad over time, because they're missing X feature that only became popular later. I think that if you actually go back and play the games that used to be good you'll find that they still are good, and they work great even without whatever modern feature they're missing.

*I assume, anyway. Maybe gamefaqs reviews lied to me and it's a beloved classic with a devoted fanbase and I just undermined my own point