Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

mayodreams posted:

https://twitter.com/BR_CFB/status/1437879124240994305

Winning in South Bend without a future NFL QB? Oooook.

Purdue is good for a big upset every few years. I'll never forget watching y'all stomp Ohio State while in Fort Worth after a bunch of buddies and I went down to watch an OU-TCU game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Franklin is going to get a raise for himself and/or his assistants and/or facilities upgrades. He's not leaving a team that is just around the corner from being elite to completely rebuild USC when it's not even clear that USC is willing to make those investments.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
USC owns a $20million house in my wife’s hometown in LA just for the president of the school to live in. There’s gotta be plenty of money just waiting to be spent there

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

TipTow posted:

Purdue is good for a big upset every few years. I'll never forget watching y'all stomp Ohio State while in Fort Worth after a bunch of buddies and I went down to watch an OU-TCU game.

Upsets that are also inexplicably complete rear end-whuppings are the best. I still remember watching 2001 Colorado/Nebraska in my dorm room

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

fast cars loose anus posted:

Upsets that are also inexplicably complete rear end-whuppings are the best. I still remember watching 2001 Colorado/Nebraska in my dorm room

2003 Big 12 Championship is my favorite

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Komet posted:

Franklin is going to get a raise for himself and/or his assistants and/or facilities upgrades. He's not leaving a team that is just around the corner from being elite to completely rebuild USC when it's not even clear that USC is willing to make those investments.

:staredog:

There are plenty of things to critique USC about. A lack of resources is not one of them.

The difference between penn state and USC right now is about 1-2 wins a year. They’ve won the conference as many times as Penn State in the last 7 years, and they’ve been to exactly 1 fewer NY6 bowl than Penn State. Like, the floor at USC is a decent achievement at Penn State. There are plenty of reasons he might not move, but the idea that Penn State is on the verge of elite is uh…citations needed.

Oh, and while I’m at it, why exactly does USC want Franklin? What has he proven to be other than low rent Urban where he’s entirely assistant dependent while hiding? He can recruit I guess but it could easily be a dantonio bump from a couple hot years.

TheGreyGhost fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 16, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

downout posted:

Ya vegas seems to agree with ASU and WVU the favorites. And, uhhh, their calls are better than my hot takes.

I have a weird thought that I don't have any evidence to support and am fully prepared to hear that it's stupid, I think Arizona schools being favored when maybe they shouldn't have been the past couple weeks is because sportsbetting came online in Arizona last weekend and this could be a way to take advantage of new bettors. The weakness of this thought is that I think everyone who bets probably already does but...also the crazy advertisement blitz the past month here might have brought some people in.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Betting is not designed to predict outcomes it's designed to have approximately half of bets on each side.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Strobe posted:

Betting is not designed to predict outcomes it's designed to have approximately half of bets on each side.

It’s more complicated than that. Bookies make money on volume and if your odds don’t seem to represent reality you either a) won’t make money because no one will bet them or b) you’ll get very lopsided betting and they will have substantial risk. The initial lines are meant to be a pretty accurate representation of what the linemaker views as the true odds because if they aren’t savvy bettors will jump in early and buy enough of the value side to force the bookies to change the line substantially to discourage those bets which then exposes the bookies to additional risk. Since they may over correct and create value on the other side of the bet.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the only true 'college sports' thing that is a major event in Japan is the annual new year's Hakone Ekiden relay marathon that goes from Tokyo to a hot springs town on day one and the same route back on day two. But this is a perfect proof of Sash!'s point about momentum: the drat thing has been held for 100 years, was originally to try and lift the international level for the Olympics, and is really the only event of its kind.

other sports are at what would be a club sports level in the U.S., including some that do play American football. But the only other sport even close is the Big Six baseball league, which is like if the Ivy and Big Ten were all in NYC and instead of a multi-sport conference it only focused on football.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

LeeMajors posted:

I am faced with a dilemma. Do I bother watching UF-Bama on Saturday? I’ve watched all our other matchups hoping for an improbably upset but I’m kind of tired of hoping.

gently caress.

we're going to beat your rear end lol

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

RumbleFish posted:

2001 is pretty much a perfect entrance going by the aforementioned criteria, so yeah. Sandstorm is fun, but the 2001 prelude to it absolutely loving rules and is my favorite part (plus Cocky performs a magic trick, how can you not love that).

The Watcher and The Next Episode would be great entrance songs.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

mayodreams posted:

https://twitter.com/BR_CFB/status/1437879124240994305

Winning in South Bend without a future NFL QB? Oooook.

Plummer will throw for 400 and Purdue will lose on 3 blocked kicks returned for TD's.

It is the Purdue way.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Scionix posted:

we're going to beat your rear end lol

Oh im quite certain y’all are going to flash fry our asses in the first 5-7min.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
It generally takes a Faustian bargain of a Hugh Freeze or bizarro offense Gus to beat Saban during the regular season. I don't think this is a good chance for Florida.

Emory Jones isn't going to look like much of a quarterback against this improved Alabama defense.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Week 2 Bama could definitely drop one to Florida or Georgia

Week 1 Bama wouldn't let them score until the backups were in

So it depends how turned up the offense is when they start imo

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Florida cannot beat Bama this year and Bama fans should enjoy it while they can because the next two seasons Anthony Richardson is going to drop 62 points on their rear end

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ehud posted:

Florida cannot beat Bama this year and Bama fans should enjoy it while they can because the next two seasons Anthony Richardson is going to drop 62 points on their rear end

:hmmyes:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

a team that is just around the corner from being elite

I know you are riding high from scoring 16 points against Wisconsin but they went 4-5 last year

TheGreyGhost posted:

Oh, and while I’m at it, why exactly does USC want Franklin? What has he proven to be other than low rent Urban where he’s entirely assistant dependent while hiding? He can recruit I guess but it could easily be a dantonio bump from a couple hot years.

Eh, he's not a good in game coach but he is a good program builder, Penn State was hammered by sanctions when he got there and he got them competing for the conference and NY6 bowls again relatively quickly and he was competitive at loving Vandy. The recruiting thing is important too, they've had some bad classes recently and Oregon is currently whipping their rear end. Getting back to being national title contender USC starts with building a wall around LA and he's probably about as likely to do that as anyone they can realistically get (I mean short of Urban I guess but their president isn't going to allow that by all accounts). I think he's definitely a way better fit for a USC type job than someone like Matt Campbell. Maybe not than Fickell but I think they have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses and Franklin hasn't spent his entire career in one state and has a much longer and better major conference track record.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 16, 2021

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

2020 means nothing, everyone knows that.

Penn State has the #1 recruiting class right now and Franklin finally has the OC he has always wanted. I don't really know what the ceiling is for the team this year, but the floor feels like it's 10-2. He might leave for USC, but it'll take a couple years to rebuild it. Maybe he's tired at Penn State and wants to try something new. Maybe he'll leave if he can't get over the OSU hump this year. It's hard to say. But I kind of feel the tide is turning a little bit in terms of PSU-OSU competitiveness. The next best team in the Big Ten is quite a bit below at this point.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Komet posted:

Division champion flags fly forever

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

this is also true of recruiting class rankings in september

also a floor of 10-2? Jesus Christ, dude. He finally has the coordinator he has always wanted and it has resulted in the offense mostly being garbage so far

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 16, 2021

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Division champion flags fly forever

That's right. ISU Big 12 regular season champions!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

MourningView posted:

Yeah I was going to say, PSU has a full class pretty much with 24 commits, UGA has 16, bama and OSU have 14. PSU could still end up with a top ten class though.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

VT is gonna poo poo on WVU in morganhole I don't care what the odds makers think. They have a worse offense than us (it's ugly af) with a slightly less good defense. Maryland with their middling bunch of blah hung 30+ on em.

This now means having said that Fu is gonna lay an egg and we lose by 14+

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 16, 2021

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Komet posted:

Penn State has the #1 recruiting class right now and Franklin finally has the OC he has always wanted. I don't really know what the ceiling is for the team this year, but the floor feels like it's 10-2. He might leave for USC, but it'll take a couple years to rebuild it. Maybe he's tired at Penn State and wants to try something new. Maybe he'll leave if he can't get over the OSU hump this year. It's hard to say. But I kind of feel the tide is turning a little bit in terms of PSU-OSU competitiveness. The next best team in the Big Ten is quite a bit below at this point.
For a split second I wished I had your optimism, but then I realized I'd be disappointed every year forever.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

The Notorious ZSB posted:

VT is gonna poo poo on WVU in morganhole I don't care what the odds makers think. They have a worse offense than us (it's ugly af) with a slightly less good defense. Maryland with their middling bunch of blah hung 30+ on em.

This now means having said that Fu is gonna lay an egg and we lose by 14+

I was gonna ask you what you were smoking after that first statement. Then I see you came back to earth with the second one. Glad to see you're still sane.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

MourningView posted:

also a floor of 10-2? Jesus Christ, dude. He finally has the coordinator he has always wanted and it has resulted in the offense mostly being garbage so far

Who's going to beat Penn State this year? Maybe Auburn, but probably not. Possibly @Iowa and almost certainly @Ohio State. Michigan isn't beating Penn State in Beaver Stadium because the home team pretty much always wins the PSU-Michigan game. So I don't know how 10-2 is so improbable. OK, maybe 9-3 is the floor, but it's honestly hard to even see that. We'll have a better sense after this Saturday. If Penn State beats Auburn at home in a white out, Penn State is probably 10-2 or better. If they lose, then probably 8-4 or 9-3.

Penn State's offense was actually pretty decent in the second half against Wisconsin after adjustments were made, and they looked pretty sharp against Ball State. 500 yards of balanced offense? I've seen way worse performances against worse teams than Ball State.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The vaulted ball st defense

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Saquon Barkley at 14 carries for 35 yards against Rutgers in 2017, so like I said, I've seen PSU offenses do worse against worse teams.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

It generally takes a Faustian bargain of a Hugh Freeze or bizarro offense Gus to beat Saban during the regular season. I don't think this is a good chance for Florida.

Excuse me, please don't forget about Stephen Garcia.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Strobe posted:

2003 Big 12 Championship is my favorite

I was at the UGA/LSU SECCG going on at the same time and when Saban was made aware of that score, the game immediately turned from "kindly beatdown of an injured, overmatched opponent" to "apocalyptic death-fire from the sky."

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Imo Alabama's offense will probably improve more from this year to next than Florida's

Just because we had less dropoff doesn't mean we also aren't replacing everybody. If Richardson wants to hang with us this is the year for Mullen to give him a shot, because our offense will probably sputter out a few times on its own and Wil Anderson is banged up and may not even play

Also Anderson is currently the best player in college football

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

drunk leprechaun posted:

I was gonna ask you what you were smoking after that first statement. Then I see you came back to earth with the second one. Glad to see you're still sane.

The same problems are still all over the team no matter the record at this point.

It is nice to see the defense flying around tho. JHam is a good one.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
MAC defenses all suck and Penn State had under 300 total yards against Wisconsin

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 16, 2021

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The same problems are still all over the team no matter the record at this point.

It is nice to see the defense flying around tho. JHam is a good one.

The most correct Hokie take.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
holy lord SCar is +31.5 to UGA...

Part of me thinks that's easy money, considering how crazy that game usually is. But I'm not a bad enough dude to take that bet.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

https://twitter.com/GreggDoyelStar/status/1438546483914199044

They have already lost, they just don't know it yet.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
gently caress off Notre Dame and your stupid rear end tunnels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

the catholic ball state's tunnel has never been penetrated by anything as substantial as the Drum.