Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

spankmeister posted:

If they'd check waste water for flu, it'd probably be up there

They do.

It’s not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's not wastewater surveillance, so it's not comparable.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

spankmeister posted:

That's not wastewater surveillance, so it's not comparable.

Various individual states do do flu and rsv, some still do monkey pox.

Illinois

Michigan

Washington

Coastal Area of Virginia (Hampton Roads)

You can check your local state or municipality to see if they do, I believe like Bloomington IL does even if Indiana doesn’t.

Regardless, none of them are seeing much of a uptick in flu yet.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 20, 2023

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

effervescible posted:

Got the new booster from Pfizer (previously all Moderna) with a side if flu shot since I have a big trade show in two weeks. Side effects are absolutely kicking my rear end, probably the worst since my original #2 shot. I know there's no real correlation between strength of side effects and efficacy, but if there were I'd be very pleased with it.

Covid saw that I got the booster and was like "you know what would be the funniest thing to do right now?"

Popped positive on two home tests. Expired gubmint test strips, but I do have a drippy nose and I don't think they'd both turn up false positives. Ironically I do feel better today than I did in the 24 hours after getting the booster - even ran 7 miles during my club's weekly run without issue. Womp womp. Three and whatever chunk of years was a good run.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't know if this helps but because of how every potential adverse symptom of a vaccine has to be reported during a trial, a noted side effect of one of the COVID vaccines was "getting hit by a car".

One of the participants in Moderna’s phase‐three trial in 2020 was struck by lightning.

VitalSigns posted:

Sounds like we need to recall all bananas until we find out what is going on

Nobody in Europe had ever eaten a banana in 1490, and there were zero autism diagnoses then too, coincidence?

Bananas are an old‐world crop though.

I’m not saying that they were widespread in Europe, but a number of Europeans greater than zero ate them before 1490. Alexander the Great, for one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

One of the participants in Moderna’s phase‐three trial in 2020 was struck by lightning.

That was it, yeah. I guess my memory edited itself.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'll just post this here as I apparently had the GBS thread bookmarked instead of this one.

Has this been shared here yet?

Dumb people slow with getting vaxed.

The Article posted:

Cognitive ability, health policy, and the dynamics of COVID-19 vaccination

We examine the relationship between cognitive ability and prompt COVID-19 vaccination using individual-level data on more than 700,000 individuals in Sweden. We find a strong positive association between cognitive ability and swift vaccination, which remains even after controlling for confounding variables with a twin-design. The results suggest that the complexity of the vaccination decision may make it difficult for individuals with lower cognitive abilities to understand the benefits of vaccination. Consistent with this, we show that simplifying the vaccination decision through pre-booked vaccination appointments alleviates almost all of the inequality in vaccination behavior.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How do you measure cognitive ability? The paper probably says whether it’s correlated with annual income or education level, but I’m pretty suspicious of any argument that presents a definition of intelligence as a measurable trait.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Bananas are an old‐world crop though.

Dang it

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I AM GRANDO posted:

How do you measure cognitive ability? The paper probably says whether it’s correlated with annual income or education level, but I’m pretty suspicious of any argument that presents a definition of intelligence as a measurable trait.

Yeah, strikes me as wooo statistics trying to goad people into getting the vaccine (only dummies don't get the vaccine!). Admirable goal, dumb way to do it.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Yeah, strikes me as wooo statistics trying to goad people into getting the vaccine (only dummies don't get the vaccine!). Admirable goal, dumb way to do it.

It's a mandatory aptitude test for conscripts which helps to decide if you get to be the most simple cannon fodder or if you are useful for more demanding tasks such as radar, air force or things like that. It is a more general competence test with language understanding sections, general knowledge and some mix of IQ test-like questions with figures and reasoning etc. Basically, if you were a smart kid at school with good grades you tend to get higher scores. It's not a pure IQ test because it's just one part of the aptitude sorting system.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

It's not a pure IQ test because it's just one part of the aptitude sorting system.

Funny, this also describes the original intent of IQ tests.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just showed up for the vaccination appointment I made over a week ago, and they told me they had run out several days ago. I guess CVS doesn’t limit their appointments based on supply and just gives vaccinations to anyone who stops by and asks for one regardless of whether they have an appointment. Now I’m going to Walgreen’s next week.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I did Walgreens today and it went perfectly. Not even sore and I can feel the extra 5G bars already

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Jethro posted:

Well, Covid finally hit our household. We suspect the little one picked it up at the ER last weekend when they had some abdominal pain (turned out they were pretty badly constipated). Wife and oldest child are still negative, but I just tested positive last night. It extra sucks because we had been homeschooling our oldest for the past two years, but with the little one old enough for kindergarten we figured it was time to get them both back in a social environment. The little one tested positive the night after their third day. Fortunately their fever already broke and they've been pretty full of energy. Now I just have to figure out how to get my Paxlovid picked up.

Trip report: Paxlovid gives you a bad taste in your mouth all day. Fortunately I finished my course yesterday and I tested negative earlier today. Wife and older one managed to avoid getting sick all week. The little one is still testing positive, but tomorrow is day 10 after symptoms, so she can go back to school next week.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Do we have any decent data on Novavax and myocarditis?

I’ve yet to get COVID, respirator life is real until better vaccines come along, but the boosters now lay me out for most of a week, and the last two boosts exhibited some rather alarming symptoms that seem in line with myocarditis. Unfortunately I need to get a cavity addressed and there's no way I'm getting dentistry done without being freshly boosted, especially since that appointment will assuredly land right at the height of this wave, so I'm weighing my options on what to get this time 'round.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.

Jethro posted:

Trip report: Paxlovid gives you a bad taste in your mouth all day. Fortunately I finished my course yesterday and I tested negative earlier today. Wife and older one managed to avoid getting sick all week. The little one is still testing positive, but tomorrow is day 10 after symptoms, so she can go back to school next week.

I'm currently on day 11 after symptoms and just started having rebound symptoms this morning. Now I'm full-on feeling like poo poo, right back to where I was a week ago. Thankfully I don't have Paxlovid mouth anymore. Really hoping this round doesn't last very long.

First time getting it, too. We were doing so well. :(

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bel Shazar posted:

Funny, this also describes the original intent of IQ tests.

It was the military who first made use of IQ tests on a large scale.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I AM GRANDO posted:

I just showed up for the vaccination appointment I made over a week ago, and they told me they had run out several days ago. I guess CVS doesn’t limit their appointments based on supply and just gives vaccinations to anyone who stops by and asks for one regardless of whether they have an appointment. Now I’m going to Walgreen’s next week.

I had to cancel my appointment for tomorrow this morning (I just got over the worst GI bug in like 10 years and I could not handle another round of boneitis that quickly) and CVS just texted me saying they didn't have it anyways :rolleyes:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I got it at rite aid, so maybe try those if you have them. I'm not sure what shot they gave me though, I signed up for moderna, the printouts they gave me are for moderna (spikevax) but they wrote pfizer on the CDC card. Slept like poo poo, little runny nose, and my arm hurts, but otherwise this isn't as bad as last years pfizer

They did push my appointment a day, so they might have only just got stock in.

I've had every shot at this place so far, all the previous ones never bothered to take my insurance info. This time they insisted, and when I asked if it'd be easier to just put me down as uninsured they claimed it'd be billed to me anyway now if I tried..luckily my terrible insurance covered all $150 of it, though I'm still doubtful I'm not going to get some sort of bill eventually.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 24, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Aw gently caress. Turns out I'm positive despite two negative tests. Took a 3rd a few days later because my wife was positive and here we are.

This sucks. Aching everywhere.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Ravenfood posted:

Aw gently caress. Turns out I'm positive despite two negative tests. Took a 3rd a few days later because my wife was positive and here we are.

This sucks. Aching everywhere.

You can apply to get paxlovid via the link below, I was able to go from positive test to paxlovid in hand in about 4 hours using this. It'll allow you to set up a teledoc appointment for like $30, and you'll talk briefly to a doctor who can call in a prescription to your local pharmacy. They'll ask for a bunch of stuff you'll need to answer regarding potential complications and contraindications with your current medication, and you may need to give reasons for why you're susceptible to COVID-19, but its worth getting the script if you can. I went to 0 symptoms overnight and never had anything beyond sleepiness once i got on pax. And the bad mouth taste is tolerable with judicious application of gum and gum like candy. https://sesamecare.com/medication/paxlovid

If you think you may not have anything that makes you a candidate for paxlovid, heres the list of potential comorbidities that make you a more likely candidate https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html It includes things like depression, which is what I mentioned to the doctor, as I have bipolar disorder. I don't know if it is necessary to have one of these conditions but odds are you have one of these since theres so many conditions listed in this list.

Good luck!

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It really is remarkable how paxlovid tastes exactly like a bag of garbage with that is mostly dry but has a bit of nasty liquid in it smells.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Getting that 2023 booster tomorrow.

My pharmaceutical allegiance is Pfizer.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Queer Grenadier posted:

My pharmaceutical allegiance is Pfizer.

I am the very model of a moderna mrna general.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
We should have some sort of vaxx company alliance contest, or maybe gangtags.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

We should have some sort of vaxx company alliance contest, or maybe gangtags.

Will there by a special tag for someone who gets one shot of every vaccine type?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
covidtests.gov

Get your tests.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My family of 4 got our flu and covid shots on Saturday here at a Walgreens. Paid $0 out of pocket.

One kid was kinda sore, I had a mild (but not unusual for me so maybe unrelated) headache, and that's all. Just some sensitive bumps in our arms.

10/10 will vax again.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Got my third booster today.

Made the appointment at CVS. Didn't really care about brand even though my first three shots were all Pfizer. Appointment made last week was cancelled because that CVS didn't get a new shipment of boosters. This appointment was cancelled last minute this morning. Got there asking WTF, and apparently Moderna is having huge supply chain issues and appointments for the Moderna vac (which is apparently what they slotted me in for since I didn't care about brand) have been getting cancelled left and right.

Luckily for me, the last dose they had on hand was supposed to be for an appointment earlier in the day that never showed up. So, they just gave me that one.

So...I guess go for Pfizer if you want to guarantee you'll actually have a shot ready for you. :shrug:

Lets see if this one gives me the shakes like booster #1 did.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
If the Walmart Pharmacist experience hasn't changed significantly since I left a year ago, pharmacists could reasonably expect to give 30+ shots a day, so we got plenty of practice. Line up perpendicular to the deltoid muscle, bevel up, have the patient let their arm go as limp as they're able, and *boop*, stick em while you're asking them about Minecraft or what have you. If the person giving the shot pays attention and isn't suffering from tremors, intramuscular shots are substantially easier than you'd think. If I can get the patient to relax it's over before anyone thinks about it.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
Just got mine at CVS and had to pay $191 out of pocket because my insurance (Kaiser) decided they aren’t covering it here and they don’t have it in stock at my Kaiser. Does anyone have any idea about getting reimbursed for the cost or do I just have to eat poo poo?

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Welcome to American healthcare and buying things out of network.

Hear ketchup goes well with those poo poo sandwiches D:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I was gonna go to CVS today and while I know CVS owns Aetna or something I’m not gonna go until I get confirmation about it being covered. Aetna states it’s $0 for members who get their shots in network, but I have 0 trust to make any assumptions until I know for sure. The site/app only shows me doctors that give the vaccine, not the pharmacies.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

buglord posted:

I was gonna go to CVS today and while I know CVS owns Aetna or something I’m not gonna go until I get confirmation about it being covered. Aetna states it’s $0 for members who get their shots in network, but I have 0 trust to make any assumptions until I know for sure. The site/app only shows me doctors that give the vaccine, not the pharmacies.

Call customer service. I had to do that to get information on this vaccine because all the websites mentioned coverage only being good until May 13th (end of the Covid health emergency).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why not just tell CVS/Walgreens you don’t have insurance instead of going through the hassle? According to the government itself:

quote:

CDC’s Bridge Access Program offers COVID-19 vaccines at no cost for adults 18 years and older […] whose health insurance does not provide zero-cost coverage for COVID-19 vaccines.

https://www.vaccines.gov

You’re literally paying for this through taxes already so you might as well take advantage of the program.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 26, 2023

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why not just tell CVS/Walgreens you don’t have insurance instead of going through the hassle? According to the government itself:

You’re literally paying for this through taxes already so you might as well take advantage of the program.

I’m literally paying for insurance coverage too and by making it a pain in the rear end that’s exactly what they’re hoping people do. gently caress them, they can cough up the money for a vaccine that’ll save them three times what they pay for it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

buglord posted:

I just got an official claim notification from BCBS that I owe $0 for the 4 shots we got at Walgreens on Saturday. Seems like it's working, here.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Oracle posted:

I’m literally paying for insurance coverage too and by making it a pain in the rear end that’s exactly what they’re hoping people do. gently caress them, they can cough up the money for a vaccine that’ll save them three times what they pay for it.

I get that but I’m assuming that your time is better spent doing literally anything other than sitting on hold on the phone, complaining to someone on the other end and/or trying to convince them your covid shot should be free, and then worrying about whether or not they told you the right information after getting the shot but before getting your bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Boris Galerkin posted:

I didn't give insurance info for 4 out of the 5 shots I've had with no issue. This time when I tried to see if there was a co-pay and offered to withhold my info if it meant a zero chance of getting billed they told me I would get billed if I tried that for sure. Considering I didn't use a fake name or dob or anything, I believed it. According to my state DOH they should have places that will administer it for anyone without insurance, which makes it sound like it's going to be those or nothing if you aren't covered. What a cool way to roll out an important thing...