Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pretty concerning to see so many already straying from Appleist-Flavorist Thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zarin posted:

The OP mentions "knock-off" N95/KN-95s.

I don't really know what to look for to know if something is genuine or not; how do I know if what I got is genuine or not?

The ones I purchased are brand-named, but I got them off of Amazon, so . . . have I already hosed up there?

I know most of the time, manufacturers have a spot on their site where you can enter lot# info or even scan a QR code to confirm they're legit, may be worth trying that out if you still have the original packaging

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Legato posted:

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly - I was under the impression that EHMRs (elastomeric half-mask respirators) DO protect the wearer, but they, because they have essentially open exhaust, do NOT necessarily protect your neighbors.

I purchased a couple a month ago in the event that things get worse - like, a "I don't care about protecting others anymore and just need the most effective mask that will last the longest in hellworld" type of scenario. Are they still effective for that? Just as an emergency backup in the event that say, KN95s/N95s are no longer available?

An elastomeric with P100 carts will provide 100% protection to you. Unless you have one of a very few very new masks (you dont) it also has an exhalation valve which offers little protection to others. Now if you're in a place where nobody is masking well, whatever, but it's why guidance on them recommends wearing a mask over the exhalation valve as they arent really designed for source control. One or two have filters you can buy for the exhalation valve as well

N95s and KN94s offer slightly less, though definitely a huge amount of, protection but you also will not be a source

So it sounds like they'd be perfect for what you describe. At the very least, you will not get sick, and the carts last a long time when you're filtering normal air

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What I've been kind of curious of as someone dumber than poo poo is that we've got two vaccines approved and being administered into kids between 3-12, Sinovac which is inactivated virus, and Soberana-2 which is "conjugate" whatever that means. Is the problem that kids don't respond well specifically to mRNA type vaccines? If so, should our research be going into J&J or even importing/fast tracking one of these types? Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any data on Sputnik-V on kids, which would be interesting because the first shot in that series is the same adenovirus vector as J&J uses IIRC

Unfortunately I think this all is swept aside by vaccines for kids just not really being prioritized as a spread prevention strategy, if not in the medical research community, then in the actual movers and shakers at large. A flu+COVID+RSV virus like they've been talking about would indeed be very nice.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

The end goal of the vaccines was always to prevent disease, not transmission. It is unremarkable that vaccinated people can get mild and occasionally moderate symptoms and are still transmissible (severe disease very rarely). That was entirely expected.

My personal take is that, yes, we eased restrictions earlier than we should have though I am not an epidemiologist. That doesn't really provide any bearing on where we go from here.

I guess that sort of kicks it back to the thread OP/IK on whether this thread should be more retrospective "where we went wrong" (lol everywhere, constantly) vs. "what is the current situation, best practices, where to go from here?"

edit: a fundamental part of science vs. pseudoscience or conspiracy theories is self-correction. Good science adapts and changes in reaction to new facts and knowledge. I see a lot of people (not here necessarily, in general) insisting "well Fauci and the government change their mind all the time and they've been wrong so why should I trust them??"

Because good science reacts to our evolving understanding of the situation.

This is a general statement, I'd need to go back and review the science at the time. Just because something was a wrong idea in retrospect doesn't mean it wasn't the appropriate course of action with the facts available at the time.

At the risk of getting things all het up, my advice since last March for anybody who cared to ask or seemed in need of it was to look at countries that have actually contained this thing and do what people there are doing. Once the CDC advised against masks they were dead to me, and basically nothing has happened since to make me regret this decision. I'm sure there's lots of legitimate science and great people working there, but they don't inform the guidance the center gives. The May open'er up didn't surprise me at all but I certainly wasn't about to change my behavior considering even the stuff they were saying at that time was demonstrably false, like vaccines prevented spread.

If I had to pick a "where it went wrong" it would be that it became just a smaller part of the broader culture war that is consuming all facets of American life, but tbqh I don't think there's any way it could've been avoided considering even socks and coffee pods are partisan flashpoints now.

fake edit - I think another big thing is that it's abundantly clear that most Americans have not actually ever had a "normal" flu and definitely have never had to deal with pneumonia in any capacity

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

I'm not sure the recall results are that clear, given the particular Republican candidate looking to win in the recall. It's probably a good sign, but I'd be curious to see what the results would look like if it was explicitly a measure to continue with mandates and restrictions.

I'd say the more relevant argument isn't drawn from this but rather supported by it. Vaccine mandates and NPI mandates and similar have enjoyed a 20+ point over open'er up since basically it started being polled nationally. That this would reflect this in part isn't really a surprise, though you'd never know this if you aren't totally brokebrained.

Probably another confounding factor isn't necessarily that the competition was a lunatic, but rather Elder's campaign message in the last week was "it's pretty suspicious how obvious it is I'm going to lose" which...probably doesn't inspire people to hit the polls. Like when your campaign messaging is so bad that even red state Dem parties famous for being totally worthless wouldn't even dream about it, you're probably not going to have a good time

Fritz the Horse posted:

This is absolutely true. A ton of people get a bad cold or "stomach flu" and think they have influenza. Hell no, actual no-poo poo flu will knock you hard on your rear end for a week or more it's awful.

"It's just the flu" is dumb both because it's wrong and also the flu is bad.

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, I my partner and I both got the flu type A in March 2020 ( :gritty: ) and it was awful. I was sick as hell for like 4-5 days straight and we both ended up needing to go into urgent care to get fluids. In March. 2020.

So yeah until then I sure as hell don't think I've ever actually had "the flu" before, or the vaccines were doing their job until I got unlucky.

e: I had to go back to work for like a day after the flu incident and then the governor's mandates came down, and I pulled cord using my medical liabilities and went on UI until I was fully vaxxed and comfortable going back to work. Then the next big medical complication entered my life and now I'm here in this thread. What a ride.

I had a minor flu once that wrecked me, and what I suspected was "walking pneumonia" or basically the mildest possible one and it was a nightmare. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if the reason I couldn't know for sure (food service benefits lmfao) wasn't also the reason I couldn't rest and recuperate (quarterly inventory, had to count every piece of paper and oz of food in the store).

It's easy to tell who has and hasn't seen or suffered from real flu or pneumonia by how they respond to someone blowing them off lol. Until modern medicine, pneumonia was one of the top 3 killers everywhere for like 10,000 years for a reason

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The couple month period where Oster would write an op-ed and the next Monday it would be official CDC guidance was pretty funny, in a dark way. The reason 3' is as good as 6' is because 6' is insufficient for the conditions and time periods involved with classroom learning as conditions are in most classrooms here, something she seems to have been aware of on some level because of her attempt at a hasty retreat from The Discourse as things started opening up in early August

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

AND a mask, absolute GOAT

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My personal stance on supporting boosters regardless of whatever the conflicting messages coming from on high are that day comes down to:

1) If it's safe enough for people like Gov Abbot it's safe enough for me
2) While I acknowledge that even if I get a breakthrough it's extremely unlikely I get actually seriously ill, I'd much rather avoid the breakthrough and the risk of transmission entirely because I have high risk friends and family
3) There's already an entire country doing them and studying the results and I haven't seen anything stemming from that which is giving anybody pause. If there actually were some blaring alarm coming out of Israel's booster program I'm sure we'd be hearing about that instead of just people being vaguely worried that they may not actually be necessary.

What I'd like the hapless stenographers in our legacy media who actually have access to these figures to start doing is asking these people if they themselves have gotten a booster or not. The argument doesn't seem to be that they're unsafe, but rather that in their opinion people don't need them which is like, okay? Then retool distribution so that the dose I don't get doesn't just go in the trash. I'll be getting a booster using circulating antibody studies out of Israel as a timeline until then, it's the choice between some risk of sickness and spread and none

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Comirnaty sounds like when you're intubated and trying to say "community".

Me, reaching into the cooler on the patio on a nice warm day: "C'mere, Natty"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think boosters entirely eliminating the risk of transmission and sickness is some wishful thinking. Reduce it sure but you sure as gently caress aren't getting 100% sterilizating immunity.

Yeah it's probably not 100%, but never becoming symptomatic because the anti-COVID goon squad is still on patrol is probably the closest thing considering my exposure will also still be mitigated by NPIs

At least that's my line of thinking, mostly what it comes down to is that nobody has any good reason why I shouldn't

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

Everyone should always remember to wait a few months on Israeli research articles to make sure they got all their denominators right this time. :v:

Getting a booster is not without its potential concerns. When last I looked, for example, at the rate of myocarditis (particularly in young adult otherwise healthy males) from mRNA COVID vaccination vs. getting COVID itself, the vaccine far, far outweighs getting COVID on that metric alone (and many other metrics). However, as age decreases, the rate of myocarditis increases somewhat. Are the risks of myocarditis the same on a 3rd dose, increased, decreased, does time matter between dosing schedules, etc? Does the increased risk of myocarditis outweigh the small protection amount gained on average?

And on the studies looking at the need for boosters, how are they dealing with survivor biases? What potential survivor biases are right there that we currently aren't seeing?

Unless you are immunocompromised (or soon to be), geriatric (because old people immune systems no work so good), or maybe you're in a high risk environment (healthcare, in person teaching, etc.), and are otherwise healthy, there is not sufficient data to recommend boosters. Pfizer et al want you to think you need them because they want to sell you more shots. They want to stoke your fears so you go get another shot.

Yet it may well be that SARS-CoV-2 is a 3 shot schedule, there are any number of other diseases out there where their vaccination schedules are 3 shot. However, those took years or even a decade or more to come to that decision.

Yeah there's a lot of moving parts, and even my broad declaration that I'm gonna be getting one is pretty pointless because by the time the current studies show my antibodies are likely to have dropped to nil, it's definitely gonna be decided one way or the other, and if I wasn't worried about likely exposure because of my job or high risk friends I'd probably not really prioritize it too highly, but it's all risk calculations no matter what road you take and them's the breaks. Hell if I was younger I'd almost certainly hold off because of those worries about effects in young people on the grounds that it's gonna be impossible to find someone willing to give a lower dose or whatever.

I think what is weirdest about all this to me is what poll plane variant mentioned. Okay we the official plan is to vaccinate our way out of it. Huge supply of vaccines? Check. Rolling out wide ranging mandates at long last? Check. Dumping lots of cash into getting needles into arms? Check. But the thing is, boosters were always acknowledged to be a part of it barring immediate and massive uptake, so why so much confusion and departmental fights now that we've reached that critical moment?

I should clarify that I'm not giving any advice here, just explaining the reasoning that myself and some others who are pro-boosters have rested their decisions or beliefs on.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OddObserver posted:

Broadly, I kinda wonder about that. Most cases involving public comments actually seem to turn out to be undemocratic, since they give advantage to people with lots of time on their hands (see e.g. all the "grassroots anti-CRT protests").... and, frankly, the point of the FDA is to make professional decisions, so what you and me think isn't likely to be very material?

Public feedback can be good, but because it selects for only the craziest people with lots of time on their hands and are easily astroturfed, mostly the effect is to make everybody involved want a beer. I have no idea what the idea was behind this one since afaik the public doesn't get to actually make that call. If you're gonna have them, they should definitely have time dedicated to reading feedback from people who couldn't make it, which there will always be.

mod sassinator posted:

I will also remind folks that drinking a gallon of water will add 8 lbs to your weight, so please measure your weight carefully and accurately taking into account any liquids you might have consumed just prior.

No more of this, please.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not sure where the religious aspect really factors in, you've got white evangelical protestants with like <50% uptake and catholics with almost as much as atheists, both groups that ostensibly have what they consider to be probable cause to refuse citing their faith. There's a lot of movements that use the trappings of the old ways but trying to predict their behavior taking them at their word isn't gonna get you very good results.

Omnikin posted:

k, just drink a gallon of milk a day for a week or two then. It's bulk season, baby!

Careful with this, mention GOMAD too much and the spirit of the mid-aughts bodybuilding.com forums will arise and we will be arguing about how many days there are in a week

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vasukhani posted:

American ideology is based in anti-science beliefs about choice and free will. These are founded in early modern ideas. Americans see themselves as individual actors who must make the correct choice (an anti-political idea) as opposed to elements of the machine that is the community.

I'm not opposed to the idea that the American national religion is psychotic individualism, I just don't think religion it's where the divide is. The most glaring example of Protestant brain poisoning I see right now is the cult of work's response to people not working jobs that COVID pushed over the line to intolerable

Fallom posted:

So was there an explanation for why the FDA didn't find the Israeli data persuasive?

This was just an advisory committee sending a decision to the FDA itself wasn't it? I expect an actual report of their reasoning will come out once they formalize it, at least I'd HOPE that one will.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

How the gently caress is this appropriate or acceptable, how is this even ok in dnd? Seriously this poo poo is why no one that knows this stuff will actively participate

It's not, of course, it's been dealt with

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Thank you Fritz for the detailed analysis, I'll respond to it tomorrow when I've got more time to formulate something your posts deserve but I wanted to let you know that I appreciate you poring over the data for our benefit

Hy_C posted:

That's correct, they only provide recommendations to the FDA. The FDA typically has go with the advisory committee's recommendations (googling around gave me ~75% figure but nothing official). The FDA does not in any shape or form have to follow their advice at all and most recently completely ignored the advisory committee when approving the Alzheimer's drug, Aduhelm (aducanumab).

The chair of the advisory committee Peter Marks is the CBER Director at the FDA (CBER approves and provides regulatory guidance over Vaccine approvals). During the call reminded the advisory committee the FDA does not have to follow their guidance so I would not be surprised if the booster approval is much broader than what was discussed and voted upon at the meeting. To top it off both the Acting FDA Commissioner and the White House have been in support for boosters too.

This is good to hear at least, it seems a bit much to pray for a palace coup but I hope they take their recommendation and largely discard it in favor of something more in line with out current strategy of "vaccinations will save us all"

HonorableTB posted:

News from my hometown!

Ah.

News from my own hometown:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

Update: my friend that I convinced to get vaccinated followed through. She just sent me this

I have to admit I half expected her to just say that to get me to go away. She has her follow up on Oct 9

Fantastic, especially in times like this it's so gratifying to see stuff like this, you've done good work

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

New page, new fur tax! Everybody is now required to comment on my dog

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Wanna pet that dog right before it rips my face off.

He's pretty chill once you are proven to be chill and hangging out (and selling me drugs) but if you like walked past my apartment he'd definitely object

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not gonna say that a failure to compliment my dog is an instant probation BUT

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think it's a bit far to go full Peter Watts when normal social conditioning and active capitalist realism is probably a much more prosaic answer, but we clearly are not born into a vacuum after which we build our ideology like character creation in an MMO or anything. I think the question I'd have would be "at what point do we treat active refusal different than mere ignorance, or is there sufficient reason to do that at all from a public health perspective?"

If we're not in a position where someone is going to get turned away from an empty bed because they failed a triage test, it's just more work for HCWs to no different end, and if we're going to do that it's not going to involve broader sociological considerations anyway because that's not how triage works

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Unless there's some new research saying otherwise, there's also a good chance the doses are being misallocated to some degree with these schemes, as it's only regarded as the "rich people miracle juice" because rich people are getting tested daily and flooded with the stuff the instant they pop positive, and if they have a rough time with the disease we just never hear about it.

But then again, if it's primarily useful to people getting tested at least a couple times a week, well that's almost nobody so,

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's been discussed in terms of cost per dose since back to last fall when it was more or less purely experimental, and back then yeah it was probably close to 50k a dose. If it's now being manufactured in amounts such that they're giving it away in libraries it's probably a good deal cheaper. If it's a biologic, the prices on those can get truly eye watering

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

Hey uh, I am pretty sure I know the answer, but those things people wear around their necks for "air filtration" are just stupid hokum right? The packaging literally sounds like snake oil. "Just clip this to your clothing or wear around your neck and you'll have a 4 ft shield around your person that will stop deadly viruses!"

Like WTF.

Unless it's a Daft Punk-style Corsi cube helmet, then yes

Even if they were designed with filters it would only filter a tiny amount of air compared to what you're exposed to. More likely they don't have even that and they're just re-marketed cooling necklaces

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

Thanks, my partner's employer was offering her one since they are essentially requiring her to attend a superspreader event with a high percentage of unvaxxed people and I was wondering how insulted/livid I should be about it. Pretty loving livid, I think!

Yeah I wouldn't blame you, if you could post one of them in question it could be dug into a bit more but it's all about moving air and anything that moved enough air would be really heavy and loud

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Petey posted:

So Alina Chan definitely has a dog in this fight, but she (re)posted a link to this leaked putative grant proposal from 2018 today: https://twitter.com/Ayjchan/status/1440279120861024264

that — apparently, taken on face value, which, again, should be cautious, and as I read it as an inexpert layperson — seems to be a group of US + Chinese scientists approaching DARPA in 2018 to fund a program by which they would engineer a novel, highly-contagious coronavirus (as/or a spike protein that they would inject into other viruses) and infect wild bats in caves in Yunnan in the hopes of developing broad cross-immunity that would prevent more dangerous unknown coronaviruses from spilling over.

None of this, of course, proves or even really suggests that cov-2 came from a lab; indeed, this is the kind of approach that would be implemented to prevent such a spillover. But it appears that DARPA turned it down for being too risky, and I have to say, it really did make my eyebrows go up as I read it, in terms of the kind of thing that would be seriously proposed within the vein of gain of function.

It has already widely become seized on by the right as proof of the plandemic and bioweaponry, and again, I don't think it shows that. But, if true, it startled me on the kind of stuff that these groups were working on.

e: looks like it originally was sourced from an Intercept FOIA, perhaps? https://theintercept.com/2021/09/06/new-details-emerge-about-coronavirus-research-at-chinese-lab/

I think we should probably let this one simmer until there's more to it than just a bad source and paper older than even the last GoF controversy source.

Also, pet tax people!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just to put my MOD HAT on for just a moment, I'd like to reiterate that there are currently no active threadbans for posters in this new thread, as elaborated upon in the OP. Sorry for not emphasizing this further and any confusion some people may have had jumping in recently.

As for actual content, Coldrice you need to start applying for NIH grants for the project lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

Oh my sweet summer child. You will regret this soon enough.

Feigl-Ding been tweetin' about it, I hope he's getting lots of money from people paying what they feel for it. poo poo owns

It seems to be working out well enough so far, it's been an interesting experiment considering how much has changed over how much time since the old thread

Hope somebody managed to get the updated version to the Feigl-Ding and the others that have been tinkering with it, it's nuts how much it's changed since it was just differently colored pixels lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Suicides fell 32% in Canada during the first year of the pandemic: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-suicides-in-canada-fell-32-per-cent-in-first-year-of-pandemic-compared/

This was a big talking point in this thread last year, that we absolutely could not impose further NPIs or lockdowns because the mental health toll was far too great. Many posters went on about how suicide, etc. was a huge risk.

Well it turns out that was all bunk, surprise surprise.

Similar effect in the US as a result of just a couple rounds of smaller checks too if I recall correctly. Reductions across the board except for the upper middle class levels of income.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I would like to understand your criteria for "working out well enough".

The formerly threadbanned posters who have returned haven't really been posting above the general background level of agitation and abrasion, and have been heeding calls to reign it in when they're put out. Anybody who steps out of line enough for cat jail when something irl gets things heated up is dealt with regardless of previous thread status. Such is the nature of an amnesty, and it has been in the OP thread guidelines since day 1.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Pretty good article from WaPo about unvaccinated folks who actually want the vaccine:

I don’t recall much support from the Biden administration on this front. I recall some discussion about using private companies like Uber and Lyft, but nothing about using something like the national guard to help put shots in arms or bring directly shots to local communities / businesses.

The EO did have, if I recall, an option to take time off of work and sick days, but that is only a start.

Yes I believe part of the mandate was that employers also had to accommodate days off, and paid ones at that. I think it's still too soon for any data points on that, and efforts to advertise the vaccine and these benefits I can't speak on because I don't have cable or Facebook anymore. Seen some Twitch ads tho.

I've been a "send the national guard out to neighborhoods and set up tents" advocate since the start and don't really see anything else working for this group, but there's probably reluctance there regarding cranks shooting the place up or the guardsmen being armed in anticipation of this and discouraging attendance as a result. Also they're probably too busy driving school buses and staffing prisons at this point. The private-public pitches are usually city or state government level things, aka highly variable in scope and levels of graft

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Another big complicating factor is the atomization that has taken place since the last time we did the whole NG goes around vaccinating everybody thing. It's really a lot easier when there are big places that are known community centers you can go to and eventually get some face time with pretty much everybody in the community, but that's not really a thing anymore. The modern equivalents of setting up at farmers markets or shopping centers are definitely good ideas but also far more exclusionary than would obviously be the ideal

Our local health department here, and shockingly even our state level one, has done a decent job at this but anything like that is going to be highly variable and if these communities are also ones largely ignored by their state governments it's still going to require SOME level of federal response if you're gonna get shots in those arms

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

kiimo posted:

Eagerly awaiting my J&J booster. I'm doing the right thing not adding mrna to the mix here right?

Nobody knows one way or the other. Anywhere that is doing boosters as a matter of government policy has been doing a +1 of what you got before. Anything involving mixing them is either only being studied (countries with unreliable supplies did this for mRNA doses) or trialed.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Honestly if you're in the US an mRNA might be your only option for a booster or extended regime going forward in any case, we seem to have entirely moved on from J&J here and AZ was never really a thing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh I'm not saying it's ineffective as a booster and that's not why we're pursuing it, just that the biggest part of vaccine uptake coincided with the Baltimore plant contaminations and the Feds buying like 500 million doses of mRNA to distribute, so actually finding a J&J to get may prove difficult.

I could be wrong though, I know we had a lot of hope for it initially as a one dose so may still be buying some, but even back in April I couldn't find anybody within a few counties of me giving the Janssen

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

1. The "general background level of agitation and abrasion" has been established since the OP of the thread and included open calls to mislead physicians and was sufficient to drive off an epidemiologist. That this is considered "working out well enough" is a problem for the long term health of the thread, as it means users who know the subject or provide substantive sources are placed at a disadvantage to "agitation and abrasion".

2. What you have described is already a deviation from the original OP, which excluded OOCC and stated that the threadbans were still in effect. The OP language on this has also been changed, and what you describe in the post above is also different from the OP, as it describes applying probations instead of not enforcing threadbans.

quote:

Regarding thread bans: No current threadbans. Those who have been threadbanned in the old thread know how they can stay. Subforum bans remain banned from this thread.

The long term health of the thread is being kept in mind and things are being adjusted on the fly as needed, do not worry that things are being kept too rigid. Had I probated everybody involved in the Friday night testiness I would've also been driving people off, and people who got abusive were dealt with accordingly.

I describe probations because there are no threadbans in effect for the time being, enforcement is via other means until such a time as one is needed. OOCC was indeed originally on the list but Professor Beetus, the IK and OP of this thread, reconsidered this and now they are not.

For now though I ask that if you wish to argue against thread baselines you do so either in PMs or in QCS if you believe moderation is part of the issue, as this is becoming a distraction to a couple other discussion that are COVID-related going on. You're a good contributor to the thread and I do share some of your concerns but this isn't the best venue for this.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

papa horny michael posted:

Hope they do better in the future than the current failed strategies you outlined.

What ways would you propose, or do you support any already mentioned so far?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Epicurius posted:

This is just a data point, and not something necessarily typical, but New York State has mandated all state employees be vaxxed, and has set up vaccination places in big state office centers, and they're offering J&J.

well then it's around somewhere at least! Wasn't that big glass building converted into a vaccination site early on in the effort? I recall it was primarily J&J, hopefully they're prepared to make good on future booster/extended regimens elsewhere if they mandate following the same course.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think the analysis on whether this or that country is authoritarian isn't as good a frame as analyzing tactics as authoritarian or libertarian, at least in regards to the national project of containing a viral pandemic. Australia, NZ, and China instituted extremely anti-libertarian (which is to say, authoritarian) lockdowns and restrictions and as a result, have had extremely good outcomes re: the spread of a viral pandemic. The flip side is the libertarian approach, focusing on incentives and letting the market figure it, which is a lot closer to what we did, and we got the same result doing this as every other country that did it. This stuff is so well known and old that it was old news two millennia before anything actually specific beyond AVOID! BOARD THEIR HOUSE UP! was known

I think it's hard to see this any other way, as though there's some difference in how the commies dealt with it versus the Aussies because, what? They get to vote on stuff? So do the Cubans and Chinese, what's it got to do with pandemics?

poll plane variant posted:

Starting to think that in the social media age societies with freedom of speech devolve inevitably into spasms of right wing violence and insanity worse than most actual authoritarian governments. I think what you're talking about sounds like a much less stressful way of life than right wing extremists with guns in government buildings every week. I know some authoritarian governments are bad but China sounds drat near utopian right now.

My stance on social media is pretty uncomplicated but it's definitely worth considering if this pandemic would've been better or worse had Facebook not existed

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I have some bad news about where you are posting.

Elaborate on this please

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

SA is social media, specifically one of the less moderated parts.

I don't personally agree that 90's style message boards really count as "social media" as it is understood today but I can get why someone would lump them together since it's not like the two circles don't share space. I'm definitely on the "COVID wouldn't be as bad if Facebook didn't exist" side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

The problems of sites like Facebook and twitter are specifically rooted in decisions by people decisionmaking power regarding those sites to not exercise that power effectively, favoring the benefits of "the libertarian approach". We are not special, and we are not immune to the same functions.

As many here can tell you, I'm happy to discuss the broader strokes of social media in a thread where it's a bit more appropriate, but specifically in this case as I put forward I believe that Facebook made the pandemic worse here and SA did not. Getting into the weeds about what is and isn't social media is a bit beyond the scope here