Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Thanks for the writeup, and much hope for the thread.

I'm still watching my family get split right down the middle on vaccination, with one side condemning themselves to repeat deaths for the sake of vaccine denialism. 3 deaths and 5 hospitalizations so far, and nobody we need to persuade can still be persuaded in any way. I hate the cynicism it inspires so I try to keep plugged into any news about the general advancement of public health against this horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't think it's big enough for anyone to care. But it offends me as a human being that when so many people are forced to work because they can't afford to get fired that a man rolling in money chooses to go to work and endanger everyone else.

We still like our online name & shames with the receipts, as a collectively online nation. It could get attention.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
the dietary supplement industry issue is straight loving wild and intimately tied into science denialism and FUD and i had previously observed through a work thing that it was, indeed, part of the story of how you culture vaccine denialism, medical denialism, and covid denialism in the modern day.

there's an easy way to make an index for how bullshit a news source is and/or how directly their business strategy is 'conspiracy theories for old people we're driving crazy' by noting what percentage of their advertising comes up as precious metals, bad self help books, and One Weird Trick health supplements and cure-alls. Infowars feels like something that was mostly about selling bullshit pills after a time.

related issue: utah is a perniciously evil influence on all of this

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Professor Beetus posted:

Going to chime in and say that folks can try to approach the discussion in a respectful and measured fashion then go ahead and discuss the ethics of triage.

Now that the vaccine is readily available and has been for a long time prior to the omicron wave, if a hospital officially enters a confirmed status of Crisis Standards Of Care, I do not want anyone experiencing a covid-unrelated medical emergency to die from lack of medical supplies/attention because willfully unvaccinated covid patients are clogging the system. Most patients at the hospital who are not there for covid-related health decline should receive ICU beds or respirators in any circumstance where there are not enough to provide lifesaving care to all patients.

I fully think that this should be an official and pre-emptively announced policy, as well. The antivaxxers love to insist that they're willing to 'take their chances' and insist they are not concerned about the disease. The government should absolutely warn people that if they elect not to get vaccinated they are accepting that they will receive no priority whatsoever in crisis triage.

Given the current situation of hospitals experiencing mass resignations from unresolvable HCW burnout and departments abandoning their posts en masse when their requests for more resources or salary are summarily dismissed by private facility management (and those private facility management then retaliate by having judges legally bar the healthcare workers from leaving to other employers) a substantial amount of care rationing will be related to staff limitations rather than physical supply of machines and medical supplies.