Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Communist Thoughts posted:

start bombing factories

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Cold on a Cob posted:

ok i gotta get back to work so :effort: i'm done i guess

if only images could be thread titles

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Petey posted:

thx for posting this! some of this stuff — that deals with selective pressure and differential survival — reminds me of where n*ck l*nd is going with his hyperracism, with the difference being that land sees it as being a noble telos toward which we must accelerate, as opposed to an unspeakable tragedy that we must do everything possible to avoid

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Homocow posted:

lol lmao

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

RIP Syndrome posted:

Cool. So the cloud layer breakdown forecast by the way too pessimist, probably bad new models that was maybe, possibly happening next century in an absolute worst-case scenario:

- Is real
- Started happening in earnest a couple of years ago

lmao

so let me get this straight… you’re saying things aren’t that bad, yet

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Car Hater posted:

"After this I'll destroy the sun!" the mad ape contentedly thought to itself.

if at first you don’t succeed …

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2021/10/4/plane-crashes-into-building-in-milan-8-people-killed

this billionaire has done more to combat climate change than I can hope to accomplish in my natural lifespan :cheerdoge:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

blatman posted:

this is good however i'm still lolling at whoever posted that helicopters are technically the most successful green technology because of how often they crash, killing their rich passengers

I wonder how private airplanes compare, surely helicopters can’t be that much more efficient than other methods

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Number is tired and taking a break

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

boy im glad an app can solve my guilt for such a reasonable price

technology saves us again!!

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

blatman posted:

i was just catching up on unread posts and when i realized you were the one posting that garbage i thought i was having a stroke

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

would goku choose to stop biosphere collapse if he could

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

a seminar in 1981 :smith:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Evil_Greven posted:

i mean it was longer ago than that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lgzz-L7GFg

lyndon big loving johnson sent a thing to congress about it and there were reports and poo poo at least by 1965
https://www-legacy.dge.carnegiescie...Environment.pdf
(i write this from my shelter due to tornadoes in loving october)

lol

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Lost Time posted:

one of my favorites:

lol lmao

I wonder if zoomers will be able to pressure them enough to get an admitted whoopsie doodle from the ruling class

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

FistEnergy posted:

At this point I'll be genuinely surprised if we don't have widespread social unrest and major life changes for everyone by 2030

Rectal Death Adept posted:

have you considered the world's largest carbon capture plant was just opened in iceland

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

is there a choice to vote away the microplastics

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

God Hole posted:

my fetish is procreating with my life partner and raising a loving family with them please don't kink shame

don’t kink shame but also very kink same

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Mola Yam posted:

that's a beautiful tweet, one for the ages

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Merritt has ordered a citywide evacuation due to the flooding

https://www.merritt.ca/cityfloodingevacuationorder/

:ohdear: rip BC

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Rime posted:

In a little over five months BC has experienced:

- A heat dome which killed hundreds and incinerated a town, temps reaching 50c.

- The worst wildfire season in decades.

- Multiple bomb cyclone events.

- A waterspout making landfall as a tornado, in Vancouver.

- Multiple atmospheric rivers, each breaking the records of the last.

-The worst flooding event in provincial history, disrupting or destroying all road and rail routes in or out of the lower mainland and inundating multiple towns / small cities.

I think I forgot something, tbh.

Sincerely, in my wildest dreams I did not expect my home to be the hyper-accellerating canary of spiralling climate change. If anything, I expected it to be the stable zone everyone else fled towards. Holy gently caress. :stare:

things aren’t that bad, ye … oh gently caress :negative:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

I greatly enjoyed reading the following Maclean’s article on Canadian real estate after events in BC these last days

https://www.macleans.ca/longforms/canadian-real-estate-market-housing-2021/

quote:

The snap-up sales and bidding wars have elbowed into the lumber mill town of Merritt, a 270-km wind up the Coquihalla Highway from Vancouver. About 90 per cent of purchasers in recent months are from the Lower Mainland, says agent Janis Post, and the half-million dollars that luxury homes in Merritt used to fetch is now the typical price. When locals inquire about selling, she warns them to make plans. “Because if we put your house on the market, it’s going to get multiple offers fast, and you need a place to go.”

:tif:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Rime posted:

A century ago, Sumas in the Fraser Valley was a vast inland lake.

https://www.abbotsford.ca/alerts/evacuation-order-and-alerts-issued-localized-areas

https://twitter.com/ty_olsen/status/1460818805525860352?s=20

It is currently becoming a lake again, because the Noosack river in Washington has been diverted north (diverted south by the last eruption of Mt Baker) and the Barrowtown Pumping Station (the second busiest pumping station in North America) is failing after its pipes have burst. Several hundred thousand acres are about to be submerged beneath raging floodwaters, with no way to drain them.

This isn't the exciting thing, though. Nor is that every road and rail link out of the lower mainland is, as of tonight, destroyed with no date of re-opening. They might have the longest and most treacherous route, the 99, open by next week.

No. This is the real poo poo: This has not been publicly announced, the government is keeping it quiet to avoid a panic. I, being a big-brained individual with connections in places, am in on some poo poo:

https://twitter.com/KamilKaramali/status/1460731733427449858

Bobbing there in the Coquihalla River, where its protective road has been ripped off, is 200m of the Trans Mountain Pipeline. The 60+ year old, 300,000bpd oil & fuel link between the pacific coast and Alberta. This pipe carries 90% of the refined fuels supplied to British Columbia. It provides 10-15% of the unrefined supply for the refineries in Washington State. This is not the only location where it has been compromised. The road to either side of this location has been totally destroyed in both directions in multiple places.

I really did not have Vancouver, British Columbia down as the first place in North America to collapse due to a climate-change induced disaster, but here we are. It's happening.

We are about to watch some serious poo poo go down over the next few weeks.

hope everyone got their livestock out of the area, this can only improve local property values

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Cold on a Cob posted:

unless i missed it, not a single mention in the article about the pipeline or the highways in/out of vancouver

it really does feel like they're trying to not panic people in vancouver

The current line published everywhere is that the pipeline was shut down temporarily and preemptively due to the flooding

quote:

The Trans Mountain pipeline has been shut down temporarily due to widespread rains and flooding in British Columbia.

Trans Mountain Corp. spokeswoman Ali Hounsell says the precautionary move was taken due to the flooding situation in the area of Hope, B.C.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

https://beyond.ubc.ca/accept-rising-sea-levels/

"It’s time to accept, not resist, rising sea levels"

Why contain it? S'cool

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Paradoxish posted:

the plan for these people is universally some variation of waaaah I can't stand being outside in the cold for ten minutes, let me move somewhere that I'll need to run my AC 24/7/365 until the day my house is finally underwater

send them to winnipeg

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Gas rationing has gone into effect in BC - not more than 30L/per person

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Chamale posted:

Thanks to Rime for helping me tip off my loved ones several days ago to fill their gas tank.

A friend I warned told me “Right, the pipeline at one point in our lifetime didn’t exist so I suspect Vancouver will be fine”

lol, lmao bihtc

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Relevant Tangent posted:

sticky rice is better

:hmmyes:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

mod sassinator posted:

dirty rice. so dirty i don't even want to look at its browser history. that is the way

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

brushing my teeth with a stick, rubbing rocks on my pits like a wizard, 420 smoking herbs with midgets and watching the end of Things

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

lol

lmao

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

petit choux posted:

Floss, you dummies. If you survive to my age you will be sorry you didn't.

I’d say I’ve got some bad news for you but, well, as it turns out it is still mostly bad news for me

lol

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

https://fvcurrent.com/article/fraser-valley-unacceptable-dikes/

quote:

Unacceptable.

That was the verdict of engineers five years ago after they inspected a critical dike on Sumas Prairie. The 17-kilometre levee had a key job: stop the drained basin of what was once Sumas Lake from refilling with 10 feet of water. But inspectors warned the dike was two feet lower than it should be, and that it would be unable to stop flood waters if and when the Nooksack River breached its banks.

The engineers, who were hired by the province to review dikes all around the Lower Mainland, gave the crest (or height) of the Sumas dike the lowest possible grade—one out of four—and a corresponding label: “unacceptable.”

“Overtopping is expected during Nooksack River overflow,” they declared. “The dike design profile likely needs to be updated. The dike geometry is substandard, causing concern.”

The inspectors were right. The levee was never fixed. And last week, waters from the rain-swollen Nooksack spilled north and ran downhill into Sumas Prairie. By Tuesday, millions of gallons of silty water had pushed over, and then directly through, the so-called “interceptor” dike, forcing thousands from their homes, killing livestock, inundating Highway 1, and submerging one of the most fertile sections of land in the province.

absolutely no way this could have been predicted or prepared for

did they not try voting in BC?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

petit choux posted:

Aye, and some sternly worded letters as well!

looks like they did try everything :shrug:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

did you forget they just built the largest carbon capture factory in Iceland

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

love to abrade my gums with plastic

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

I don’t trust those dissolvable plastic wrappings for dishwasher soap, I fully assume it just covers all your cutlery in nanoplastics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Homeless Friend posted:

randomly ran across this chart

now show it to me in absolute values doc, match it with the graph of plastic production increase over the same period

I want to see how 60% discarded in the later years dwarfs 100% of the volume in the beginning

gently caress the cult of progress, this is the plastocene